17 replies to this topic

#1 Luna

Luna

aespa

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:15 PM

WELDON SPRING, Mo. (AP) - A family was driven from their suburban St. Louis home by thousands of venomous spiders that fell from the ceiling and oozed from the walls.

Brian and Susan Trost bought the $450,000 home overlooking two golf holes at Whitmoor Country Club in Weldon Spring in October 2007 and soon afterward started seeing brown recluse spiders everywhere, The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported (http://bit.ly/ZToLma ). Once when showering, Susan Trost dodged a spider as it fell from the ceiling and washed down the drain.

She told St. Louis television station KMOV-TV in 2012 the spiders "started bleeding out of the walls," and at least two pest control companies were unable to eradicate the infestation.

The couple filed a claim in 2008 with their insurance company, State Farm, and a lawsuit against the home's previous owners for not disclosing the brown recluse problem.

At a civil trial in St. Charles County in October 2011, University of Kansas biology professor Jamel Sandidge - considered one of the nation's leading brown recluse researchers - estimated there were between 4,500 and 6,000 spiders in the home. Making matters worse, he said, those calculations were made in the winter when the spiders are least active.

\
The home, now owned by the Federal National Mortgage Association, was covered with nine tarps this week and workers filled it with a gas that permeated the walls to kill the spiders and their eggs.

"There'll be nothing alive in there after this," said Tim McCarthy, president of the company hired to fix the problem once and for all.

http://www.wistv.com....c

:sick: :twitch: :argh: :cry: :wha:

#2 Swagkura

Swagkura

真夜中の太陽

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,792 posts
  • Interests:KakaSaku & NaruSaku

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:34 PM

Omg :sick: :sick: :sick:
I would cry if this ever happened to me, I hate spiders with a passion. I wouldn't even want to live or be anywhere near that house after that.
tumblr_o2ymbkICMv1ttuk3wo3_500.gif

#3 Sedna

Sedna

Nostalgic

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Birds.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

Omg, I feel soo bad.

#4 Branden

Branden

The man who's going to save the world.

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 02:54 PM

So fun fact : Most common insect poisons don't kill brown recluses. It just makes them much more aggressive.

In any case I think the most effective solution would have been to import a nest of these guys :

heteropoda_china_joe.jpg

That is the giant huntsman spider. It's the largest spider in the world by leg span and it grows to be that big by eating other spiders. If you had a couple dozen of these guys crawling around your walls then you would be able to sleep soundly at night knowing you that those pesky brown recluses would leave you alone.

I know this solution isn't for everyone but it certainly beats flooding the house with poisonous gases.

Romance_Dawn_Arc.png

"This hat means a lot to me. Promise me you'll give it back someday...

when you've become a great pirate." -Shanks

#5 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:01 PM

So fun fact : Most common insect poisons don't kill brown recluses. It just makes them much more aggressive.

In any case I think the most effective solution would have been to import a nest of these guys :

heteropoda_china_joe.jpg

That is the giant huntsman spider. It's the largest spider in the world by leg span and it grows to be that big by eating other spiders. If you had a couple dozen of these guys crawling around your walls then you would be able to sleep soundly at night knowing you that those pesky brown recluses would leave you alone.

I know this solution isn't for everyone but it certainly beats flooding the house with poisonous gases.

The problem with this is escalation (a different infestation) and possibly an invasive species in environments (states) it was not to be in. The name of the island escapes me but snakes were placed on the island to decrease the population of a rodent that had run rampant. The result was the extinction of that species of rodent and now the island's trees are completely infested with this snake. 

Edit: also, this newstory is gross. 'Bleeding from the walls'. I shiver. I'm not especially scared of spiders but when the amount is so vast that it causes an eruption.... ew. Poisonous makes it worse.

Edited by chouzu_tao, 11 October 2014 - 04:02 PM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#6 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

Gah! I hate spiders, that would freak me out!  :wha:

Call in Prince Zuko and kill it with FIRE!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#7 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

And THAT, my friends, is why they invented the nuclear bomb!

#8 Branden

Branden

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

The problem with this is escalation (a different infestation) and possibly an invasive species in environments (states) it was not to be in. The name of the island escapes me but snakes were placed on the island to decrease the population of a rodent that had run rampant. The result was the extinction of that species of rodent and now the island's trees are completely infested with this snake. 

Edit: also, this newstory is gross. 'Bleeding from the walls'. I shiver. I'm not especially scared of spiders but when the amount is so vast that it causes an eruption.... ew. Poisonous makes it worse.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Think of all the plants and animals that were transferred during the Colombian exchange. We keep cats in our houses to scare away rodents. Why not keep spiders in hour houses to scare away smaller spiders?

Then again I'm not sure what would happen to the food chain if a powerful new predator was introduced. It could potentially cause a massive web of problems (no pun intended) that would end up making things worse. I find that unlikely however since life always finds a way to adapt to it's surroundings.

Romance_Dawn_Arc.png

#9 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Think of all the plants and animals that were transferred during the Colombian exchange. We keep cats in our houses to scare away rodents. Why not keep spiders in hour houses to scare away smaller spiders?

Then again I'm not sure what would happen to the food chain if a powerful new predator was introduced. It could potentially cause a massive web of problems (no pun intended) that would end up making things worse. I find that unlikely however since life always finds a way to adapt to it's surroundings.

And yet they're trying to find a way to bring Dinosaurs back to life. I dunno about you, but I'm kind of against the idea of herding Brontosauruses for our food and fighting off a bunch of Cretaceous period predators...

#10 Branden

Branden

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

And yet they're trying to find a way to bring Dinosaurs back to life. I dunno about you, but I'm kind of against the idea of herding Brontosauruses for our food and fighting off a bunch of Cretaceous period predators...

You would have an easier time making a time machine and bringing one here from the past. The half life on DNA is only a couple hundred years. There's no way we can clone a dinosaur.

Romance_Dawn_Arc.png

#11 Michi

Michi

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 05:34 PM

I almost punched the screen.

OMG THIS IS LEGIT FROM HORROR MOVIE. I CAN'T EVEN.

I hate spiders with a passion. my gosh, this seriously made me have goosebumps.I feel so bad for this family. I can only imagine the horror they must've felt. 

aeb83504-2ae7-426f-b3d0-4fb11dcfd84b_zps

pfeffersteak.tumblr.com

#12 TsukiChan ♥

TsukiChan ♥

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 952 posts
  • Interests:Naruto <3 ;Drawing anime ; Watching anime and K-dramas; NaruSaku <3

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:06 PM

:( I'm sitting here getting chills lolll

tumblr_inline_ndxjyuuF571qlo98f.gif

#13 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 07:44 PM

Where is this picture everyone is getting freaked out about? Though, the story itself is enough to make one cringe. I keep a few house spiders alive, because I prefer those to various insects. Generally, they stay in their designated corners and never bother me--I even had the situation where they were in my shower. You just spray the ceiling above you and they don't crawl to there. Oftentimes when a spider falls down in front of you its not because it wants to attack or say hi--it just happened to lose its footing. So, I've developed a tolerance to the sight of a few spiders out and about. It's the American house spider/common house spider so I don't really worry about it. 

HOWEVER. THOUSANDS OF SPIDERS CRAWLING ABOUT--AND BROWN RECLUSE? When I read that number my eyes bulged out of my head. WHAT. WHAT. WHAT. They're so fortunate they didn't suffer a bite. That could have been fatal if for any reason they decided to turn aggressive toward the humans! Normally I would prefer introducing a predator species BUT HOW DO YOU HANDLE 6,500 BROWN RECLUSES?

That's when I would leave. Demand that the property be considered uninhabitable and therefore not be responsible for it, and just go.

#14 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 08:08 PM

On the nope train to nopekittenthatvillie.

Seriously, this poor freakin' family. They'll probably never sleep again.

Edited by Fenris, 11 October 2014 - 08:10 PM.

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#15 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:01 AM

Lol wow. I would totally do the same though ^^'

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#16 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:33 PM

I'm not usually one who gets freaked out over spiders, but I sure wouldn't want to live anywhere near that house. Seriously, an upwards of 6,000 spiders in one house? Nuh-uh, no way. That's enough to make anyone an arachnophobe.

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 13 October 2014 - 04:33 PM.

#17 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 08:22 PM

Never had a spider in the shower. Did have Scorpions though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users