Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 05:04 AM

http://latimesblogs....ntact-lens.html

The future has never looked more like a science fiction movie

Researchers from the University of Washington and Aalto University in Finland are one step closer to developing a contact lens that may one day allow you to see words displayed over your regular field of vision -- just like the Terminator, RoboCop and EVA from Pixar's "Wall-E."

Potential applications of this developing technology include navigation, gaming, and receiving instant data on the vulnerabilities of those you are trying to destroy.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#2 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

Ha, that's actually getting close to a dream I've had for a while. I'd love to wear Augmented Reality (AR) glasses, especially if they could display real-time subtitles for people speaking to me. It'd make life a lot easier for deaf people!

#3 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 02:44 PM

Yeah, I didn't think of that until you mentioned it Smiter!!! sure would help in keeping track with conversations too.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#4 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 03:58 PM

So, the government better speed up this Robot process a bit faster cause i wanna live to see the day. I wanna be a robot and flip cars like the Terminator and kitten and have glowing eyes and save little kids from that blue lady who can change herself into things.

Edited by Fenris, 23 November 2011 - 03:59 PM.

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#5 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:17 PM

I say, this would be a benefit to anyone who drives, flies planes, is a combat solider. The possibilities are limitless!

And you could geek out: It's over 9000!
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#6 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

Fifty bucks says these 'future posts' won't happen. Fifty bucks, a.k.a. fifty cents in future money, or one cent in future Deustch Marks/British Pounds.

#7 Strangelove

Strangelove

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Nov 23 2011, 08:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fifty bucks says these 'future posts' won't happen. Fifty bucks, a.k.a. fifty cents in future money, or one cent in future Deustch Marks/British Pounds.

Yeah i agree just like those fifty bucks i bet on the Google venture of an internet search calling it doomed to fail.

/sarcasm rolleyes.gif

#8 LegendaryArcanine42

LegendaryArcanine42

'TIS LEGENDARY BRO!!!

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Anime/Manga<br />Storywriting<br />Songwriting<br />Kicking butt and taking names! &gt;:D

Posted 23 November 2011 - 10:25 PM

Am I the only one that's slightly worried about this?

"Potential applications of this developing technology include navigation, gaming, and receiving instant data on the vulnerabilities of those you are trying to destroy."

I have a lot of enemies... I DON'T WANT THEM KNOWING MY WEAKNESSES!!! TT^TT

#9 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Nov 23 2011, 05:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah i agree just like those fifty bucks i bet on the Google venture of an internet search calling it doomed to fail.

/sarcasm rolleyes.gif

Nice, you managed to not only jump the shark, but also catapult across it in a Tanuki costume and fly across several game brands into the Fantastic Four movie series. Congrats on comparing nearly impractical things like robotics and flying cars to a simple search-engine.

#10 LegendaryArcanine42

LegendaryArcanine42

'TIS LEGENDARY BRO!!!

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Anime/Manga<br />Storywriting<br />Songwriting<br />Kicking butt and taking names! &gt;:D

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:05 PM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Nov 24 2011, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice, you managed to not only jump the shark, but also catapult across it in a Tanuki costume and fly across several game brands into the Fantastic Four movie series. Congrats on comparing nearly impractical things like robotics and flying cars to a simple search-engine.

Wowsers, such a metaphor... AND IN A REALLY COOL FONT, TOO!! Sugoi-desu tongue.gif

#11 Amy-chan

Amy-chan

Blonde Gamer

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts
  • Interests:Animals

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:28 PM

If this means finally getting rid of my glasses Ill take it!

#12 Anguyen92

Anguyen92

Loving hockey games and Hard Rock Music

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts
  • Interests:Reading forums, and listening to hard rock/alt rock music.

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:38 PM

Hmmm, so technological contact lens that humans can use? Sure, as long it's uses is not used in a violent and evil way, I could go for this idea and it might actually help me see certain things that I haven't seen or don't care to see before.

And as for the vulnerabilities part, my enemies should already know my weaknesses by now, so that's not really an issue for me.

abiiisig8.jpg

whatcolor_iswhite.jpg

#13 Strangelove

Strangelove

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Nov 23 2011, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't make that comparison...

My comparison was that your bet against improving technology in the robotics field, is like betting against Google in the turn of the century.

STPD

Edited by Strangelove, 23 November 2011 - 11:59 PM.

#14 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:20 AM

QUOTE (Anguyen92 @ Nov 24 2011, 12:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmm, so technological contact lens that humans can use? Sure, as long it's uses is not used in a violent and evil way, I could go for this idea and it might actually help me see certain things that I haven't seen or don't care to see before.

And as for the vulnerabilities part, my enemies should already know my weaknesses by now, so that's not really an issue for me.

This sort of thing will be obviously used for military ends, althought that eye argumentations sound like something harmless, but I wouldn't be surprised if on the near future, governments start making their own super soldiers.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#15 Strangelove

Strangelove

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 24 November 2011 - 03:59 AM

QUOTE (alexander @ Nov 24 2011, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This sort of thing will be obviously used for military ends, althought that eye argumentations sound like something harmless, but I wouldn't be surprised if on the near future, governments start making their own super soldiers.

If so, then sign me up, i would really like to kill as a Spartan. ^^

#16 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 24 November 2011 - 04:03 AM

At first, I had a bit of an 'oh boy' reaction but kept reading the article and am rather intrigued by those lenses now. I'd like to see it and even try it, but that's if it does come out. It's one of the futuristic things that don't make me go 'really? Is it that necessary?' But usually after thinking that, I look around and see how many 'unnecessary' things I have around me and eventually settle for the less hypocritical 'let's just see where this goes' XD

#17 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 24 November 2011 - 07:06 AM

QUOTE (peanutbutter126 @ Nov 24 2011, 04:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At first, I had a bit of an 'oh boy' reaction but kept reading the article and am rather intrigued by those lenses now. I'd like to see it and even try it, but that's if it does come out. It's one of the futuristic things that don't make me go 'really? Is it that necessary?' But usually after thinking that, I look around and see how many 'unnecessary' things I have around me and eventually settle for the less hypocritical 'let's just see where this goes' XD

Yep! You never know what happens. smile.gif

I mean, look at what we have these days; smartphones, glasses-free 3D screens, wireless internet, bionic limbs, power suits, the list is endless. Who would have thought this technology possible 20-30 years ago? It just takes a handful of people to think outside of the box, and technology goes in a completely new direction we wouldn't have thought possible.

(Then again, people from the 1950s-60s thought we would all be using flying cars and robot servants in the year 20XX. tongue.gif)

You know, there are many incredible things we take for granted these days. When I was a kid, the Internet was limited to a few people, mainly scientists and military people. Ever since it was brought to the public, the World Wide Web has just exploded - and it has had enormous effects on everyday life and the global society.

#18 yingxuy

yingxuy

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 04:47 AM

The development of potential applications, including navigation, games, and to accept that you are trying to undermine the vulnerability of real-time data.

#19 Strangelove

Strangelove

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:54 PM

(Then again, people from the 1950s-60s thought we would all be using flying cars and robot servants in the year 20XX.)

We won't have those until we find a non depleating source of energy. Considering people would start flying in the middle of the Atlantic with no land in sight with less than a quarter of a gallon of gas.

Edited by Strangelove, 07 December 2011 - 02:55 PM.

#20 Sir G

Sir G

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:50 AM

QUOTE (Fenris @ Nov 23 2011, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So, the government better speed up this Robot process a bit faster cause i wanna live to see the day. I wanna be a robot and flip cars like the Terminator and kitten and have glowing eyes and save little kids from that blue lady who can change herself into things.

AHAHAHAHAHA your signature is the funniest kitten!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users