#41 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:12 AM

QUOTE (chouzu_tao @ Jul 28 2010, 11:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only one who thinks dating someone who is like your mother is not exciting? Parallels yay! But if someone in real life said your girlfriend reminded them of your mom, would no one else find that a little off-putting and disagree right away? Or if someone said they were looking for a girlfriend who was just like their mother, I don't believe there wouldn't be a few people who would find that awkward if the person saying that wasn't a child.

Tangent aside, touching chapter, but as others have mentioned in the thread for last chapter I feel the flash back went by quick and I never felt the situation reached critical. But oh well, we'll get back to the present and we learned of Kushina finally.

Actually it is more common then you think. People subconciously locate themselves to individuals who are like their parents. It's also the same for our personalities as much as we disdain it we are who we come from. Of course we could also seek the same in trying to find opposites.

Point is it's a literary device that helps to support our arguement.

Edited by Insurrection, 29 July 2010 - 04:15 AM.

#42 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:20 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jul 28 2010, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only downside is that Kushina says that Naruto shouldn't try to be tied down by some dubious woman, curious that phrase was added to spoiler translations

No, Kushina says hen na (weird/strange) not ayashii (dubious). It is the same word Naruto used to describe Hinata at the Chunnin exams. So yeah, we are meant to remember Naruto described Hinata as a weird girl. And we know Sakura is like Kushina, then there is hair/forehead parallel between Kushina and Sakura...
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#43 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jul 28 2010, 11:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, Kushina says hen na (weird/strange) not ayashii (dubious). It is the same word Naruto used to describe Hinata at the Chunnin exams. So yeah, we are meant to remember Naruto described Hinata as a weird girl. And we know Sakura is like Kushina, then there is hair/forehead parallel between Kushina and Sakura...

I noticed earlier spoiler translations said weird, but were changed to dubious and Uzu and I were suspicious of it. Clarification approved!! a_thumbs.gif If it wasn't for this I'd be starting to ask how Kushina and Hinata are really alike, but doubts averted.

#44 Grace

Grace

I am Johnlocked. Formerly known as "Kushina".

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:30 AM

QUOTE (chouzu_tao @ Jul 28 2010, 09:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Am I the only one who thinks dating someone who is like your mother is not exciting? Parallels yay! But if someone in real life said your girlfriend reminded them of your mom, would no one else find that a little off-putting and disagree right away? Or if someone said they were looking for a girlfriend who was just like their mother, I don't believe there wouldn't be a few people who would find that awkward if the person saying that wasn't a child.

Sure, it'd be pretty awkward if someone purposely went looking for a girlfriend that resembled their mother, but that's not the case here--Naruto "picked" Sakura long before he knew anything about his mother--and it's not really that strange to say that Sakura is similar to Kushina.

Naruto's liked Sakura for his own reasons for years; that we're able to find some similarities between her and Kushina is sort of after-the-fact. Besides, it's not like Sakura's a carbon-copy of Naruto's mom anyways. They share some traits, but are still different women.

*shrug* I think if anything Kushina meant "look for a girl like me" as in...."find a girl that'll love you as much as I do, and will work her hardest as a wife/mother".

#45 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:43 AM

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jul 29 2010, 12:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sure, it'd be pretty awkward if someone purposely went looking for a girlfriend that resembled their mother, but that's not the case here--Naruto "picked" Sakura long before he knew anything about his mother--and it's not really that strange to say that Sakura is similar to Kushina.

Naruto's liked Sakura for his own reasons for years; that we're able to find some similarities between her and Kushina is sort of after-the-fact. Besides, it's not like Sakura's a carbon-copy of Naruto's mom anyways. They share some traits, but are still different women.

But also in real life it's rather common for guys to fall in love with women with a similar personality as their moms (and women to guys with a personality similar to their dads, although somewhat less than guys falling in love with women with personality similarities to their moms)
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#46 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 04:46 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Jul 28 2010, 09:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But also in real life it's rather common for guys to fall in love with women with a similar personality as their moms (and women to guys with a personality similar to their dads, although somewhat less than guys falling in love with women with personality similarities to their moms)

True, but does that still apply when the guy in question grew up not knowing his mom's personality? I guess I'm asking: is it nature or nurture?
I don't know much about it sweat.gif

#47 Guest_New Revolution_*

Guest_New Revolution_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 05:12 AM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jul 29 2010, 03:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm having a good day Goku, not going to start this again.

yet its truth i speek

sakura has ben careing to naruto the whole manga if you want to ignore cannon up to you i already figured you would say that.

ignore the confession im not counting that. now what do you get a very careing friend there that speaks loads of sakura character some people are hard headed yet still bag on her and im SICK OF IT,

sorry carried away but point sakura has ben a very good harted person an is always striving for better to protect people close to her.

Edited by New Revolution, 29 July 2010 - 05:20 AM.

#48 Quinny52

Quinny52

Numquam Moribimur

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Sports, Gym, Martial Arts, Property

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:00 AM

QUOTE (Kushina @ Jul 29 2010, 05:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True, but does that still apply when the guy in question grew up not knowing his mom's personality? I guess I'm asking: is it nature or nurture?
I don't know much about it sweat.gif

I'm wondering if it happened because Sakura had traits similar not to Kushina, but to Naruto himself. Think about it, despite only meeting his mother (or should I say both parents) fairly recently, it has been mentioned several times that he shares many personality traits with Kushina. So I'm wondering, since he had no parent figures until later in his life, if Naruto has been subconciously seeking a partner based on traits that are both similar to some of his own, but also traits that he himself lacks. So in essence, he fell for Sakura because they shared traits similar to his own, and by extention, Kushina's. From the way I've described it, it comes across as more of a case of 'nature', rather than 'nurture'.

Chapter still not out?mad.gif

If there's one thing I have learned In my short time on this Earth

Devotion should be owed not earned Only you determine what you're worth

Gustav Wood - Young Guns

#49 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:15 AM

QUOTE (New Revolution @ Jul 29 2010, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yet its truth i speek

sakura has ben careing to naruto the whole manga if you want to ignore cannon up to you i already figured you would say that.

ignore the confession im not counting that. now what do you get a very careing friend there that speaks loads of sakura character some people are hard headed yet still bag on her and im SICK OF IT,

sorry carried away but point sakura has ben a very good harted person an is always striving for better to protect people close to her.

facepalm.png

#50 Quinny52

Quinny52

Numquam Moribimur

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:24 AM

I tell ya, whoever the guy doing the scans is, he better have bagged himself one hell of a boar if it's taking this long to get the chapter out. Hell, if he has caught a boar, I want pics as proof.hm.png

Edited by Quinny52, 29 July 2010 - 06:26 AM.

Gustav Wood - Young Guns

#51 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (Quinny52 @ Jul 28 2010, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm wondering if it happened because Sakura had traits similar not to Kushina, but to Naruto himself. Think about it, despite only meeting his mother (or should I say both parents) fairly recently, it has been mentioned several times that he shares many personality traits with Kushina. So I'm wondering, since he had no parent figures until later in his life, if Naruto has been subconciously seeking a partner based on traits that are both similar to some of his own, but also traits that he himself lacks. So in essence, he fell for Sakura because they shared traits similar to his own, and by extention, Kushina's. From the way I've described it, it comes across as more of a case of 'nature', rather than 'nurture'.

Not sure how much "seeking" he was doing as a 12-year-old, but I get your point tongue.gif

If he was attracted to traits like his own and also not like his own/that he lacks--i.e., not like Kushina's?--then wouldn't that mean his mother's personality had less of an impact on what he subconsciously looked for in a girl?
(Strange topic is strange!)

I tell ya, whoever the guy doing the scans is, he better have bagged himself one hell of a boar if it's taking this long to get the chapter out. Hell, if he has caught a boar, I want pics as proof. hm.png

Fo' sho'! If he's manly enough to tackle such a manly sport, then shouldn't he have bagged a boar by now? headscratch.gif

#52 narukunsakuchan

narukunsakuchan

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:19 AM

QUOTE (Quinny52 @ Jul 29 2010, 12:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well technically that is correct, remember chapter 3? Her will to be acknowledged by sasuke was similar to his to being acknowledged by the village, hence similar traits. There was even a panel that said in Naruto's words that he knew why he liked her now.

And to ease your confusion, men will typically gravitate towards women who have the most common traits as the female they recognize as most prominate in their upbringing. This is because people in general like to be around what is comfortable and for them, having a woman like that is more comfortable and thus they are attracted to it. At no point do they make the conscious decision "Oh she is like my mother, so I must like her." But it is just something that happens naturally.
He is her earth, her foundation upon which to grow, and she is his heaven, his peace and tranquilty and also his reason to shoot for the stars.

#53 Quinny52

Quinny52

Numquam Moribimur

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:22 AM

I mentioned traits that Naruto lacks because, while it's great to share traits in order to build common ground, wouldn't people seek out partners with traits that they lack in order to fill in the blanks of their own lives, or to better compliment the traits they already have. I'm sure that people value traits other than the ones they possess. I heard the phrase 'men marry their mothers' (don't know if it has a female counterpart) a few times, but really (and this might just my own opinion on this), would a man want to marry a clone of his mother, or would he seek a woman that shares traits with his mother, but also traits that make her an individual, basically his mother and then some. I'm just wondering whether the differences Naruto and Sakura have, along with their similarities, was what caused him to become attracted to her.

Whatever reason it may be though, you are right it is a complicated subject (and not one I ever thought I'd be talking about after just waking up)laugh.gif

Edited by Quinny52, 29 July 2010 - 07:33 AM.

Gustav Wood - Young Guns

#54 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (Quinny52 @ Jul 29 2010, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I mentioned traits that Naruto lacks because, while it's great to share traits in order to build common ground, wouldn't people seek out partners with traits that they lack in order to fill in the blanks of their own lives, or to better compliment the traits they already have. I'm sure that people value traits other than the ones they possess. I heard the phrase 'men marry their mothers' (don't know if it has a female counterpart) a few times, but really (and this might just my own opinion on this), would a man want to marry a clone of his mother, or would he seek a woman that shares traits with his mother, but also traits that make her an individual, basically his mother and then some. I'm just wondering whether the differences Naruto and Sakura have, along with their similarities, was what caused him to become attracted to her.

Whatever reason it may be though, you are right it is a complicated subject (and not one I ever thought I'd be talking after just waking up)laugh.gif

Aah, this entire post both makes sense and coincides with what I figured was the case yes.gif
I think we've all taken the idea of "girl like his mother" a little farther than it needed to be, but an interesting discussion all the same.

@narukunsakuchan--

An interesting "trait" to point out, considering it's something he developed due to being brunted his whole life. Opens up a myriad of possibilities as to what that said to him about her real personality.

@Main topic--

Where's the chapteeeeeeeer argh1.png [/impatient nagging]

#55 Quinny52

Quinny52

Numquam Moribimur

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 07:42 AM

If this chapter don't come out soon, I'm gonna hunt this scanlator guy down, never mind the boars.

Gustav Wood - Young Guns

#56 HikariUzumaki

HikariUzumaki

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 11:30 AM

May I try to entretain you while waiting? (if there's somebody still around, that is. Being European in an American forum sucks sometimes, I always miss the best threads >>)

Nobody really has though about a certain redhead, bipolar, hotblooded, who is in the Leaf right now? Not that I expect her to be the one who we should be thinking about, but I really think Karin will have some kind of role as soon as Naruto reaches the Leaf again. Where he can't really get back because "they're secure and without Akatsuki there in that island", riiiiiight... I bet Kisame attacks in the next 5 capters.

#57 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

QUOTE (MS Quote)
Maximillian has defeated the wild boar. The hair on his chest and arms have grown thicker and fuller because of it. He will up raws in 2-3h.

Guess it'll be up tomorrow....

Congrats to Maximillian!!! I hope he also grew some more hair on his balls as well. laugh.gif

Edited by Newkerz, 29 July 2010 - 12:13 PM.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#58 Guest_New Revolution_*

Guest_New Revolution_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:23 PM

QUOTE (Insurrection @ Jul 29 2010, 06:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
facepalm.png

im the one who should facepalm.png you haven't said one thing but omg facepalm.png rather than a basic answer yes ,no now stop acting high mighty, childish . im not trying to make trouble rather the other

#59 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 01:36 PM

Hey, easy there man.... we don't want any bashing here.... But insurrection, you do need to have a more constructive post if you wanna complain (make sure you keep your temper in check) same goes for you, goku. The guy didn't want to think about that, so lay off him a little.... (we're having one of our most prominent NS moments so please try not to ruin the party) if I'm offending you, state your reasons why.

BTW, OM's WSJ viewing life has been prolonged.... check their updates..

Edited by Newkerz, 29 July 2010 - 01:44 PM.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#60 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 02:05 PM

Certain fandoms must be feeling a little nervous right about now since Kushina's speech has given a thumbs up to NS. Do I have to ask what else does Kishi has to show that NS is the pairing he wants to make canon in his manga?
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users