• This topic is locked This topic is locked
21 replies to this topic

#1 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Everyone thinks it, but etiquette interferes; lest the writer is construed as misdirected.

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:24 PM

At the top of a fic (and if it's in a character filter), you'll find...

Fiction Rated: T - English - Humor/Romance - Naruto U./Sakura H. - Reviews: 249 - Published: 08-08-05 - Updated: 02-06-06 - Complete

So less surprising for the good and the bad.

Though I would still prefer if ff.net put in a het, yaoi, yuri and gen category filter.
And even a crossover filter tab too.
And an option to ommit topics in searches/browsing. I'm getting tired of wading through Naruto/HP crossovers.

#2 Vivi

Vivi

Dr. Snakes

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:27 PM

Hm..I guess that's convenient. I don't really read fanfiction anymore, however.

#3 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Eating... Sleeping... Thinking about monkeys...

Posted 13 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Vespar @ Jun 13 2007, 05:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At the top of a fic (and if it's in a character filter), you'll find...

Fiction Rated: T - English - Humor/Romance - Naruto U./Sakura H. - Reviews: 249 - Published: 08-08-05 - Updated: 02-06-06 - Complete

So less surprising for the good and the bad.

Though I would still prefer if ff.net put in a het, yaoi, yuri and gen category filter.
And even a crossover filter tab too.
And an option to ommit topics in searches/browsing. I'm getting tired of wading through Naruto/HP crossovers.

conveniet, i suppose, but i can't help but feel it's a little unfair to the other pairings isn't it?

#4 Vivi

Vivi

Dr. Snakes

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:08 PM

How's that?

#5 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:24 PM

well, i mean if you have a filter that accesses one pairing easier than all the rest it's unfair that the other pairings don't get an easy access route too. it only supports the narusaku fans in a one-sided way. i'm all for conveniences, but it's more fair it's even.

#6 Vivi

Vivi

Dr. Snakes

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:26 PM

Oh, okay. :still doesn't get it: XD

#7 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (MonkeysTotallyRock @ Jun 13 2007, 12:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well, i mean if you have a filter that accesses one pairing easier than all the rest it's unfair that the other pairings don't get an easy access route too. it only supports the narusaku fans in a one-sided way. i'm all for conveniences, but it's more fair it's even.

The other ships are likely there too. They start doing that with fandoms that have a signifigant number of shipping fics. It allowed me to filter reading only Rogue and Gambit fanfics in X-men comics, Buffy and Spike in Buffy the Vampire Slayer fandom, etc... It shows that Naruto fandom has grown large.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#8 Vivi

Vivi

Dr. Snakes

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:03 PM

Then, that's fantastic!

#9 SakuNaruLover

SakuNaruLover

Don't fear the darkness

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Gaming, reading manga, watching anime, playing games, reading fanfics, writing fanfics and my own stories, talking with my friends.<br /><br />Manga: <br />-naruto <br />-bleach<br />-clannad<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br /><br />Anime: <br />-naruto<br />-naruto shippuden<br />-bleach <br />-shakugan no shana<br />-shakugan no shana second<br />-clannad<br />-kanon<br />-air<br />-zero no tsukaima<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br />-code geass<br />-code geass r2<br />-gundam wing<br />-gundam 00<br />-melancholy of suzumiya haruhi<br />-hayate no gotoku

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:14 PM

this is actually quite handy then
I am neither good nor evil, I am awake yet I dream

#10 Vivi

Vivi

Dr. Snakes

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:18 PM

Yes, it certainly is!
I once came across something that looked likeit was NaruSaku and it was SasuNaru! An a creepier than normal SasuNaru at that!

#11 pocoloco

pocoloco

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

Ack! I didn't even notice that. huh.gif

Well, that's certainly something, but wouldn't you still use the filters in the top right corner (well, I would still)

#12 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:05 AM

happy.gif m-hm. yup. i still use filters on the top right corner for the sake of convenience. but i agree, this is an added conveneince, and i suppose it does go to show the popularity of naruto. (although the sheer # of fanfics does that already. =P )

#13 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

The new feature (which I tried out thoroughly yesterday) lets you search for stories one feature at a time, thereby letting you narrow down your search each time.

Example:

I do a search for stories with the word "Naruto" in them (either title or summary). I get:

27,635 results

That's a lot to wade through. Now though, I can narrow it down. Using the menus on the right side of the screen, I select that I only want stories in the "Anime/Manga" category (27,071 results), and then only in the "Naruto" subcategory. Now I'm at:

Since I speak English, I'm only going to want stories written in that language, so I click that and now I'm down to:

Still quite a bit, but I'm getting there. At least I know I could read everything on the list now, and that it would actually take place in the world of Naruto. Now I get to decide what kind of story I want to read. Let's pretend I'm in a sappy mood and want to read a Romance story. Selecting that, I now have:

12,528 stories to wade through.

Since I also like some adventure in my reading, I'll select that as a secondary genre and cut my search down to:

2,328 stories.

Since he's my favorite character, I'll want to make sure that Naruto himself features prominently in whatever story I read, so I'll select him for one of my character filters, leaving me with:

1,379 stories.

I also like Sakura a lot (after the timeskip anyway now that she's not a useless whiner anymore), so I'll put her in for my 2nd character filter. Now I only have to sort through:

195 stories.

I can't stand those really short fics, so I'm going to make sure I'm only looking through ones that have at least 10,000 words in them. Now I have:

88 stories.

I've got enough on my alert list already, and couldn't stand anymore cliffhangers at the moment, so right now I'll only search through stories that are already finished. Now I'm down to:

12 stories.

I could narrow it down further by rating, but really, I can handle looking through 12 of them myself. It's really a useful feature that lets you pin down exactly what it is you want to read, and you can go back and change any of your selections (including your initial search phrase/word, that will let you use all the filters you've already selected with a different search) at any time. It's ten times as good as the old search system, which had many of the same filters but only let you search in bulk.

#14 Gnosismaster

Gnosismaster

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 07:50 PM

I used filters sinced I discovered ff.net. Love them.

#15 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Everyone thinks it, but etiquette interferes; lest the writer is construed as misdirected.

Posted 15 June 2007 - 04:33 AM

Ah, I thought everyone knew about the filters in the general browsing page. I was just pointing out that if someone recommended you a fic in ff.net, you could just look up to the top of the page and see who the character focuses are (instead of say, looking through the notes or second guessing by checking the author's favs).

#16 Akiruta

Akiruta

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 June 2007 - 05:08 AM

yea i would have to say the cross story tab would be nice because i was just reading a naruto x bleach story and i lost were it was lol really hard to find it.

#17 drag-eart

drag-eart

WILSON...HitsuMatsu!..haha

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 05:08 PM

Is it me or are they censoring all curse words??? sad.gif

Now I have to go back and find all curse words and do this f*** at least for people to realize what I said. Instead of **.
Drag-eart's FF.net Profile:Drag-eart
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

#18 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:20 PM

QUOTE (drag-eart @ Jun 17 2007, 04:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it me or are they censoring all curse words??? sad.gif

Now I have to go back and find all curse words and do this f*** at least for people to realize what I said. Instead of **.

Seriously? I suppose that makes sense to try to avoid complications from the people watching out for the younger, but still... Sometimes scenes need that kind of impact.

#19 drag-eart

drag-eart

WILSON...HitsuMatsu!..haha

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 June 2007 - 06:41 PM

QUOTE (Vespar @ Jun 16 2007, 11:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously? I suppose that makes sense to try to avoid complications from the people watching out for the younger, but still... Sometimes scenes need that kind of impact.

ah, we can breath easy Vespar I checked my story and no **. I think it's for reviews because when I was checking out a story and wanted to see what pairings they were. There was an author who left a long flame, I mean literally I felt bad for the author of the story. Well anyways they cut a bunch of parts in review with the terms as follows: F***, sh**, sl**, h*, and a** at least those were the ones that were censored completely. Just though you wanted to know. I think T and M are fine at least I'm hoping they are.
Drag-eart's FF.net Profile:Drag-eart
Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

#20 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 June 2007 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (drag-eart @ Jun 17 2007, 05:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ah, we can breath easy Vespar I checked my story and no **. I think it's for reviews because when I was checking out a story and wanted to see what pairings they were. There was an author who left a long flame, I mean literally I felt bad for the author of the story. Well anyways they cut a bunch of parts in review with the terms as follows: F***, sh**, sl**, h*, and a** at least those were the ones that were censored completely. Just though you wanted to know. I think T and M are fine at least I'm hoping they are.

Aha! You're absolutely right! Though I still won't be entirely happy until I post a new fic and see if it's unchanged, but as for reviews... Hahah, now one of the reviews I have takes a surprising turn. 'UPDDATE MOTHER' indeed. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users