• This topic is locked This topic is locked
133 replies to this topic

#41 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • Interests:Eating... Sleeping... Thinking about monkeys...

Posted 12 July 2006 - 12:51 AM

QUOTE (princess_dexter @ Jun 30 2006, 06:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think one of the best things about fanfiction is that you can write in romances that aren't necessarily developed (or even apparent!) in the original canon. I love romance. I rarely click on a fic if it doesn't have a pairing stated in the summary or romance as the genre. So I'd have to say my favourite stories are ones that develop a believable or interesting romance between two characters.

I like fluff, but I can't stand instant romance, or a relationship that comes out of nowhere. By the same token I don't like characters suddenly realising feelings for someone and then acting out of character due to these instant emotions.

WOOT! agreed.

#42 Pyroneko 28

Pyroneko 28

now obsessed with TenHina

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:anime, games, drawing

Posted 14 July 2006 - 01:15 AM

In all honesty, it's probably simpler for me to say that I don't like NaruHina, SasuSaku, bashing fics (or pairings with simultaneous bashing) and shounen ai/yaoi and leave at it since provided it's done well, I'll like just about anything else. Buuuut, I still want to list stuff anyway, so here it goes.

Because of my NaruTem addiction, lackey h's Betrothal (there aren't enough words or enough time to explain how great this story is) and shadowmaster62's Never Cut Twice (just genius, especially some of the humor and concepts).

Link and Luigi's But She Didn't Kill Him, Pick Me Up, and How Shikamaru Became a Chuunin all just made me die laughing.

Topaz Talyn's A WinWin Situation was just good, especially with the fake endings, and Red Marks is just something else.

Miiko Ashida's First Impressions, Fenristhewlf's Orochimaru Experiments have to be some of the best Orochimaru stories I've seen.

Farfalla Nera's The Misfortunes of Being Minor Characters is on my list not only because it hilarious, but it has to be the only story out there that even mentions Genyuumaru.

GigaBomb's The Road of Life and Its Many Detours is such a captivating sannin fic. Speaking of GigaBomb, I just have to mention Dreams Abandoned, Promises Kept since it's such a great NaruTayu. And speaking of NaruTayu, I have to mention A True Radical Dreamer's Sounding in the Dark.

Ninja Shen's Aqua is the best Kisame-centric story(there really should be more of these) that I've seen (and unfortunately probably will ever see :shamefulcry0js: ).

I also really like roterritter 's Bugs, Dogs, and a Flower because it's the ShinoHana best story (out the six or seven currently in existence) that I've read. Seriously, it's so well thought out.

I tend read a lot of one shots like Crystalazer's Blind Spot, Jonnoda's Acceptance, ramasterharper's Ninety Eight, Arkhe's The Point, and Aishuu's It Takes a Village.

Also, I have to include Sharingank's magnificent work like Confessions of an Insomniac and Confessions of an Avenger.

And with mentioning Sharingank, I come to the most important part: the NaruSaku, of course! Actually, I don't read that much NaruSaku, but my favorites would have to be Training for the Job (which I need to finish reading sometime), Cyclical (again Sharingank, and all), and Arkhe's Single Ninja on the Town .

Yeah, I overdid it again.

As a side note, if you've notice the unbearably high number of NaruHina/SasuSaku/NejiTen/ShikaIno and yaoi ff.net right now, and have been clamoring for an alternative while waiting one of your favorite story to finally update, check out sableambiguity's Saving Faith. I don't want to say to much, but the fact that Uzuki Yuugao is a main character makes it something to look at from the get go. End shameless plug.

#43 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 12:27 AM

th_glomp.gif th_glomp.gif th_glomp.gif thanks you so much! i needed more fics anyways. no, overdoing it is always encouraged. happy.gif

#44 Nes Mikel

Nes Mikel

The Wanderer

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 09:08 AM

I guess I'll just pull out some Naruto stories from my favorites list that haven't been mentioned yet:

The Lazy Uchiha by Hibiki54

A self-insertion story of story of sorts (*gasp*) that's presented in the oddest way possible. Itachi in this fiction is a completely different person - a lazy bum, but a genius nonetheless - and changes things around for better or for worse.

This Time Around by Crimson Skies

One of those 'Naruto gets sent back in time to fix everything' stories, except Sasuke is dragged along for the ride. Presented in a way that's more than tolerable, but actually good.

About a Daddy and a Nanny by syaoran no hime

A Neji/Tenten fic that I couldn't put down. The humor the author puts in this story is just pure gold.

Hana Ni Arashi by Raina1

An OC-centric story, in which the main character is Sasuke's daugher. The character might be slightly on the Mary-Sue side, but the side-stories and the way other characters interact with each other more than make up for it.

The Reinvention of Memory by Luc Court

This one-shot features the most believable (in my opinion) and realisitc way Sasuke redeems himself, returns to the Hidden Leaf, and reunites himself with Team 7 as well as getting along with the new addition: Sai.

Through the Glass by Novice Named Jack

Naruto falls into a coma, only to wake up years later and finds everything changed - for the worse. A story that puts Naruto through harsh times, but a glimmer of hope can be seen at the end of the road.

Naruto: Unleashed by FireTemptress

This story is hard to describe so I'll just give what the authoress wrote for its summary: "Orochimaru and Itachi still live. Yondaime's seal is weakening. There comes a point in everyone's life when they finally snap and the demon in them takes over, but when it concerns Naruto, it's exactly what everyone fears." A NaruSakuSasu threesome pairing.

Speaking of threesome pairings:

Teamwork by Asuka Kureru

Probably the best threesome pairing fanfiction out there. Be warned, mature themes!

Catch 22 by The Sh33p

A series of five 22 little glimpses into a possible Naruto world. There are a few ideas I actually borrowed from this piece of work (with the author's permission of course) and they have been incorporated into my story, Medusa Javelin.

Point of Origin by Garret pi

A Naruto story that looks deeply into politics. A well-structured story that adds more realism into the world of ninjas.

Between Sun and Moon by Kaara

The only Naruto/Ino story I was actually facinated by and was the only story I could tolerate (besides the story Team 8 by S'TarKan) in which the story replaces Sakura with someone else for Team 7.

A Final Hit by NoiseTank13

Perhaps the MOST depressing story I have ever read, and that's saying a lot, coming from a guy who had been critized by many to have made them depressed and cry by writing Garden of Sanctuary. Nevertheless, the plot in this story is brilliant, and it is such a shame that the author had seeingly abandoned this could-have-been-great story.

And now, for some Naruto crossovers. A genre which I, oddly, rather like:

Bleach Crossover: How to be a Mr Nice Guy by James Ray Edward

Humourous, and a unique writing style makes this one of the most addictive stories out there (in my opinion, of course).

Ranma 1/2 Crossover: Invictus by YamiPaladinofChaos

One of those dimensioal travel pieces that doesn't seem to mix at all, but again the author manages to pull it all off somehow so the interations between the chracters seems all so real. Also, the author of this story does something most other authors do not when people slip through dimensions - they also explore what had happened to the people left behind.

Samura Deeper Kyo Crossover: Tenkage by moguera

Two words: ninja clash!

Berserk Crossover: Naruto: Berserk by Lousy Poet Automaton

Good god, this is a brilliant piece of work. Not only does the author pull off something unique like crossing over two genres that seem totally unrelated with each other, but does an awsome job at it. If you have ever read or seen Berserk (manga and/or anime), then read this. It won't dissapoint you. And even if you haven't, it's still a very enjoyable read. Be warned thorugh, some dark themes.

Harry Potter Crossover: Masks and Shadows by Kilerkki

This fanfiction stands above all other Harry Potter/Naruto crossover fanfictions for one reason and one reason only: Naruto characters in this story cannot speak English! (Well, not good English, anyway) Whenever I read Harry Potter/Naruto crossover this ALWAYS bugged me, and I was so happy when I found this story and how the author actually didn't shy away from the language barrier problem but actually uses it to its advantage! A very well done piece of work.

That's about it from me! Hope you enjoy!

#45 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:33 PM

:blink: woah.

#46 TikiTDO

TikiTDO

Σ

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:sleep

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:08 PM

Listing favourite stories in Naruto is unfortunately rather hard, not because there are so many of them, but so few. There are of course some authors who posess a really nice style, but these have, for the most part, been discussed. Regardless, I will go ahead and throw out a few of the better ones I've seen that haven't been mentioned in the thread.

(In no particular order):

Altered Destiny by ErikKoekkoek
One of the many Naruto as a girl stories that not many people like. This one has a lot of Anko who is done pretty well. Has some funny scenes and enough normal Naruto fare to keep you going.

Switched! by Minnionette
Comedy. Gold. I was laughing from start to finish as I read what Naruto and Sakura would do should they find themselves inhabiting the other's body. It also managed to stay somewhat in character (For the most part) and is actually complete.

Koorikage by illjwamh
A bit more serious this time. Here we have a story that explores a bit more of the world of Naruto. What seperates this from the rest is a rather belivable description of the action; ninjas acting as you would expect ninja's to act.

Where Eagles Dare by dave-d
Can't say much about the story. Stylewise it's decent though the plot follows his Full Metal Panic a bit much for my liking. It's also about a pairing I can no longer agree with. Still, this was the first Naruto story that I enjoyed so I figured I'd include it.

A Fox and a Shark Walk into a Bar by GigaBomb
The title got me there. The story itself isn't too good, but I'm a sucker for small things like this.

Second Chances by Red Crow
I think this has already been mentioned, but I'm too tired to go through the thread and check. It's not in the last 10 posts at least. Anyway, this is the basic Naruto goes back in time, nothing new there. It is really dark though and there's no lack of interesting flashbacks.

There are a few more that I am sure I'll remember when I wake up, I keep a running list of decent stuff in my C2 so check it out for more of the above. Like I said, I tried not to include people and stories that have already been mentioned, so if someone's not here, it doesn't mean they I didn't like their stories.

#47 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 20 July 2006 - 04:02 PM

oh! ooh! i found some more!!!
some people might have already put this, but too bad!

Metaphorically Speaking
who wouldn't enjoy some sweet narusaku? a oneshot.

The Dream Machine
some good old humor to brighten things up. short fic, but good.

Foxhound
an epic fic. need a long read? for all you naruino fans out there, or just okay with the pairing, this is a great fic. the author earned 1217 reviews in three months! excellent writing, i must say.

Bound with a Kiss
a narusaku one shot. written by our own rachel-hime!!! lovely and cute.

#48 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:39 AM

Tsunade's Heir

Honestly I am a sucker for Adoption stories. >_< This one is actually written pretty well.

#49 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 02:17 PM

Nicknames by Cyberwolf - It's about Sai and his gift for names.

#50 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 05:27 PM

Cyberwolf (known as wingsover on this board) is quite funny. Her humor fics are among my favorite especially within the genre. She seems to have a lot of fun at Neji's expense. A couple of other good ones are:

Coping Mechanism: A story about Neji attempting (and so far failing) to gain Tenten's affection in his own Neji-like way, also with healthy amounts of Naruto and Hanabi (though not romantic).

Ultimate Taijutsu Technique: Lee learns and experiments with Kakashi's Thousand Years of Pain jutsu. It's very funny.

As far as my preferences go..well, its really difficult to narrow down on type simply because I don't focus a lot on that. Different fics make it among my favorites with different reasons, though. So here's my current list of Naruto favorites:

The Ice Princess of Konoha by JohnnyG. The first to explore NaruHanabi at length. Excellent description without going overboard like Kraken's Ghost has been accused of doing in Foxhound. I also think the characterization of Hanabi is excellent. However, while I love the fic, I object to its characterization of Sakura and Hinata (its done it such a way many NaruSaku fans will not like) and it uses Cynical Naruto, not one of favorite characterizations of Naruto.

Better Left Unsaid by The Libarian's Assistant This fic is the reason why its almost certain that Kishimoto's resolution of the Kyuubi issue will be unsatisfactory to me. I love the characterization and insight we get with Naruto and Sakura. The formating comes across as a bit funky to some, but I had no trouble following it.

Between Sun and Moon by Kaara Great one for NaruIno fans. It explores the possibility of Ino in Team 7. This concept has been done to death with a variety of characters, usually (but not exclusively) Hinata. However, she explores the possibility in great detail and the story moves at a slow but methodical pace. While I suspect its was designed to set up a romance between Naruto and Ino, its goes well beyond this and avoids the cheap-lead-in to romance cliche' that is prevelant in this type of scenario.

Coping Mechanism by Cyberwolf: I think it's hillarious.

Dueling Harmonies by A True Radical Dreamer Convincing Naruto/Tayuya's are rare, though this author is quite good at characterizing Tayuya. It remains to be seen whether this one is convincing, but it does an excellent job with Tayuya so I have high hopes for it.

With the Heart and Underwear of Fire by Diamond Avatar Hillarious (and long) humor fic. His jokes wear on me at times and he can be a bit perverted, but he is quite funny.

Losing Naruto by MimiHatake Possibly my favorite NaruSaku romance, I love her version of Sakura.

#51 Arashi Kazama

Arashi Kazama

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 09:50 PM

hear are my favrots

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1801310/5/

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2832911/4/

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1932923/5/

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2423309/6/

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1667025/1/

#52 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 01:22 AM

wow! shriner those suggestions were awesome! (and i had read two of them before, too. ''^^) yay! i had a great time reading.

#53 tombadgerlock

tombadgerlock

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 August 2006 - 02:31 PM

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2842035/1/ Divergence

[AU] An impossible achievement brings about great changes in the stream of time as new ripples in the pond of life erase many past mistakes, leaving the ever present uncertainty of what will come to be faced with better odds...

A story that has promises but should updates more often..:ppp

#54 Alden

Alden

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:04 AM

I've gotta say that Divergence is really a great add to this thread. Not only is it the best Naruto time travel story I've ever read, but it's also one of the better written Naruto stories that I've seen at all.

#55 Sono

Sono

Feel the power that is Kakashi

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:59 AM

Fluff fluff fluff fluff FLUFF! I love One Shot fluffs with occasional humor/parody. I love Ash-chan's parodies! XD

Which character are you test by Naruto - Kun.com

#56 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Sono @ Aug 21 2006, 11:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fluff fluff fluff fluff FLUFF! I love One Shot fluffs with occasional humor/parody. I love Ash-chan's parodies! XD

so does your avatar describe you? tongue.gif haha. yeah, i love fluff as well. ''^^

#57 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

QUOTE (Alden @ Aug 20 2006, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've gotta say that Divergence is really a great add to this thread. Not only is it the best Naruto time travel story I've ever read, but it's also one of the better written Naruto stories that I've seen at all.

=O!!! Alden as in THE ALDEN-SAN!?!?!?!? =O!!!

So here's my list so far:

NaruSaku (not in order):

1. Garden of Sanctuary series (still waiting for Empyreal mr. mikel XD)
2. Training for the Job (need to catch up....)
3. Bloodlines
4. Through the Glass (waiting for your update Jacky-Jack!)
5. Ash-san's (Sharingank) fics
6. InoFan's fics
7. Geno Calamari's fics
8. Gin no Kyuubi
9. Losing Naruto
10. My Drunken Angel
11. Genin

NaruIno (again, not in order):

1. Friends with Benefits
2. Foxhound
3. Lolligagin's fics
4. Kaara's fics
5. The Plan

Random Naruto fics (not in order, also):

1. Hell is for Neji
2. Confessions of an Insomniac & Avenger
3. Never Cut Twice
4. Single Ninja in Town
5. Dreams of Tomorrow (The only NaruHina that I actually like reading D=)

ah... I'll stop here for now.

#58 PeacefulPhoenix

PeacefulPhoenix

THE PANDACAPOLYPSE SHALL BE SWIFT AND FUZZY

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,585 posts

Posted 25 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

I'm going to put a couple of my fave fics in here. All Naruto. Don't worry. Though I'm not exactly sure if they have a pairing. They show hints at the best. Unfotunitly.

Prove The Pervert Wrong - KyuubiMan'
This fic basicly shows that Naruto is a geunius.... at points. In battle anyways. IT also has its awsome fight sences, and basicly, it was so long, the Harry Potter books ( all of em together ) couldn't stand a chance in length.

With the Heart and Underwear of Fire - The comedic genius can not be matched, from what I have read. Sasuke dares that Naruto stay out of his way the whole day. Seeking his acnoligement, he does. Until the last hour. Sasuke is getting his arse beat, and teh only way Naruto can help is to take off all his cloths but his boxers, change his eyes to red, and become Boxer-sama. Girls want his body. Guys want t o kill him. Chaos insues, and you'll see how to defeat Itachi using Oroke No Jutsu. XD

#59 MonkeysTotallyRock

MonkeysTotallyRock

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 26 August 2006 - 03:33 AM

haha. boxer-sama to the rescue!!! tongue.gif loved it.

#60 Nes Mikel

Nes Mikel

The Wanderer

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 August 2006 - 06:08 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Aug 25 2006, 02:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
1. Garden of Sanctuary series (still waiting for Empyreal mr. mikel XD)

I know, I know, it's coming... :shamefulcry0js:

Chapter Eight for Medusa Javelin is ALMOST done. After that, two more chapters + epilogue and I can finally start working on Empyreal Paradox. I'll promise that those chapters won't take as long as Chapter Eight. Really. I do want to start writing it after all.

I frankly have no excuse for it coming out so late other than the shameful truth that I was lazy. So sorry folks. :shamefulcry0js:

At the very least, I'm not dead. tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users