Close

Naruto Crossover Fics: Like or Hate them?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Ceras_*

Guest_Ceras_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:15 AM

I'm curious to see what the overall opinion is on crossover fics that blend Naruto and some anime/tv show/movie/whatever with it.

If you like crossover stories, why? What stood out to you, in a particular story, that caught your interest?

If you hate them, what was wrong with the story for you to dislike it?

Be general or as specific as you'd like.

#2 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 04:24 AM

I only like crossovers in fics where crossovers make sense. (Example: Inu Yasha\Ranma; OMG\YUA; Slayers\Lost Universe... oh, wait, Slayers TRY already did that last one in canon). Not much works with Naruto, however; a cameo appearance by one of the Oh My Goddess goddesses in Naruto might work, but I'm not sure what else might work. Certainly not the most popular crossover selection, HP, which I've never seen a even modestly decent version of. Bleh.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#3 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Philosophy

Posted 18 July 2007 - 03:38 PM

I like The Legend of Uzumaki Naruto by General Grievous. He did twist some of the physics in the Warcraft world, but it's one hell of a story nonetheless, and I encourage everybody to read at least the first part.

There is a second part being worked on, but I stopped reading it because the author decided to change the pairing a little bit. At first he said it would be NarutoXSakuraXOC, but now it could be either NaruSaku, NaruOC, and/or his original way.

Even if the story is grand, if the pairing is something that I don't like, then the story just wouldn't work for me.
A NaruSaku Manifesto - A presentation on the NaruSaku pairing using the manga.

#4 Guest_Ceras_*

Guest_Ceras_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2007 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (MagusKyros @ Jul 18 2007, 08:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like The Legend of Uzumaki Naruto by General Grievous. He did twist some of the physics in the Warcraft world, but it's one hell of a story nonetheless, and I encourage everybody to read at least the first part.

Ah, TLUN is a very popular fic...unfortunately I never got to finish it because of exams....

I find it a little surprising that people like it so much despite its fairly complex plotlne. From what I've gathered from readers, is that most of them don't like to read crossovers because the plot is too simple or its way beyond their understanding.

I've got to say, it was a fairly clever and ambitious move on "General Grievous" 's part to combine two a very popular anime and online game in a fanfic. That alone seemed to attract many fans.

#5 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Everyone thinks it, but etiquette interferes; lest the writer is construed as misdirected.

Posted 19 July 2007 - 07:00 AM

Hnn... Most crossovers either doesn't do enough justice to one, both or all the series' involved. That or are better off as brief events, rather than a patchwork for a story.

So far, I can't really think of any Naruto crossovers (outside of General Grievous' work) that I can make note of. I'll go through my links though.

However, generally what I do like about crossovers would be how the similarities and extremities are handled by the author and how believable the events and reactions are given.

It's not Naruto, but I rather liked these and it should give an idea to what I mean;
Hellblazer: Hogwarts - Hellblazer x Harry Potter
A Bunnier Alternative - Ranma x Loony Toons

#6 SakuNaruLover

SakuNaruLover

Don't fear the darkness

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,702 posts
  • Interests:Hobbies: Gaming, reading manga, watching anime, playing games, reading fanfics, writing fanfics and my own stories, talking with my friends.<br /><br />Manga: <br />-naruto <br />-bleach<br />-clannad<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br /><br />Anime: <br />-naruto<br />-naruto shippuden<br />-bleach <br />-shakugan no shana<br />-shakugan no shana second<br />-clannad<br />-kanon<br />-air<br />-zero no tsukaima<br />-fullmetal alchemist<br />-code geass<br />-code geass r2<br />-gundam wing<br />-gundam 00<br />-melancholy of suzumiya haruhi<br />-hayate no gotoku

Posted 19 July 2007 - 03:13 PM

I'm not of big fan of crossovers. Most of the time they aren't very good and often they don't make sense.
I am neither good nor evil, I am awake yet I dream

#7 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:25 AM

To be honest, I've never read a Naruto crossover. By the time I got into this fandom my opinion of crossovers was so low I avoided them like the plague.

Besides....in terms of fanfiction my enjoyment of Naruto is the universe as a whole. Thus I have little interest in seeing things like Naruto in the Harry Potter universe or other characters in the Naruto universe. To be honest, I don't even read AU's like Naruto in the modern world for the same reason.

However, even if I did, I still wouldn't read them.

There once was a time where I read them all the time and really liked them, but after awhile I realized how bad the vast majority of them were.

Most of the ones I have read are either (1) cases where the author wants to combine their two favorites universes or (2) authors wants to pair their favorite characters and that all that matters. In other words, what happens is that two or more universes are combined with any thought as to whether the universes are compatible and the method in which the crossovers would take place. Thus, the not only do they usually possess many of the vices of bad fanfiction, they also possess the vices as bad crossover fiction.

#8 Chappy-chan!?

Chappy-chan!?

Come what May...I'll love NaruSaku 4EVA! RAWR!

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:34 AM

I've never read a true crossover. XD But I did notice there's a lot of Yaoi Harry Potter Crossovers. That being said, I'm not really a fan of crossovers. AU? That's all right. But Crossovers? Just not my thing!

#9 Radon

Radon

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 07:12 PM

Yah, I'm not a big fan of AU works and crossovers, as I like most of my fan fiction to be able to fit into what would seem like the normal Canon story. Just my preferences I guess.
"Fact: The fandom makes characters look hotter and act hornier than they actually are..."

#10 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:37 AM

I generally love crossovers if they're good.

Inuyasha and Bleach are my favourite kinds...

I've seen Harry Potter crossovers, and I think they're pretty stupid. Since 95% of them that I see have bad grammar, spelling and punctuation...

Ex:

Harry potter saw Uzamaki Naruto and Haruna Sakura and does Kage Bushin.

BUSHIN? BUSHIN? I believe its Bunshin.

Ive even seen one Naruto/Halo crossover.. WTF? WTF? huh.gif

Generally, anime should crossover with another anime. Not some book that exists in another timeline..

#11 Guest_Ceras_*

Guest_Ceras_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (ZeroJutsu @ Jul 22 2007, 06:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I generally love crossovers if they're good.

Inuyasha and Bleach are my favourite kinds...

I've seen Harry Potter crossovers, and I think they're pretty stupid. Since 95% of them that I see have bad grammar, spelling and punctuation...

Ex:

Harry potter saw Uzamaki Naruto and Haruna Sakura and does Kage Bushin.
BUSHIN? BUSHIN? I believe its Bunshin.

Ive even seen one Naruto/Halo crossover.. WTF? WTF? huh.gif

Generally, anime should crossover with another anime. Not some book that exists in another timeline..

I'm beginning to see how very complicated it is for an author to write a crossover fic. err.gif
He or she not only has to worry about how to get the two "worlds" together but make sure interactions with characters are believable, then figure out a good but none too esoteric plotline...

And yes, mispellings like "Kage bunshin no Jutsu" are really annoying, although since Japanese words are phoentically written in English, the spelling differs based on what people hear. Take "Hai" for instance--it's used multiple times in countless manga/anime related fics and is pronounced "hi" (with the i slightly drawn out) but the spelling is incorrect in that it suggests that the word is pronounced "hey" so "Hai" really should be "Hae."

Aside from that rambling, I love your avatar by the way, ZeroJutsu--one of my favorites and happens to be my current desktop happy.gif

#12 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:18 AM

Ty, ty..

NaruSaku is by far my favourite pairing. So, something like that avatar makes my heart flutter with joy.

I'm considering to hate Harry Potter crossovers now, I just read another garbage one. Ugh. And if I see one more Kage "Bushin" or some idiotic technique like.. "Kit blade: something something.. or some english jutsu name.. Im gonna barf.

#13 Sithking Zero

Sithking Zero

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Location:Everyone, everywhere, anyhow, anyway, anywhere, any day.
  • Interests:Megaman/Rockman, Bass, Code Lyoko, Naruto, Star Wars, Crossovers, writing fanfictions.

Posted 23 July 2007 - 12:51 PM

Hmmm... I don't like naruto crossovers because... well, I don't know why. I just don't.

It's just kinda incompatible with other shows or books. I don't know why.

But in general, I love Crossovers. I mean, click on my sig picture to go to Heart of a Warrior, my Megaman/Code Lyoko crossover. I love crossovers because they show two normally seperate ideas finally mixing and blending like a fine meal. It's the way different characters can react to each other, the way new loves, friendships, and relationships can be forged. The thought of new fights, new things, just... Newness!

The entire prospect of Crossovers appeals to me for another reason- complexity. The more complex something is, the more I love it.

#14 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 23 July 2007 - 01:37 PM

Well, I like some of the Naruto Crossover fics but I do agree lots of them are garbage. I particularly hate the Naruto/HP crossovers since most of them do NOT even make sense like Naruto going to Hogwart or vice versa, Heck they don't even live on the same Universe.

I like Naruto/Bleach crossover the most as I think they make sense most compared to other crossover types but it doesn't mean that all of them are good, lots of them just go the same pattern: "Naruto Somehow got Shinigami power and start kicking some serious ass including Itachi and other strong villains with just a flick of his finger, Girls start seeing that he's cool and stuff and start swarming him like bees to honey. Finally Naruto goes and make a Harem, live happily ever after."

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#15 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 02:43 PM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jul 23 2007, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I like some of the Naruto Crossover fics but I do agree lots of them are garbage. I particularly hate the Naruto/HP crossovers since most of them do NOT even make sense like Naruto going to Hogwart or vice versa, Heck they don't even live on the same Universe.

I like Naruto/Bleach crossover the most as I think they make sense most compared to other crossover types but it doesn't mean that all of them are good, lots of them just go the same pattern: "Naruto Somehow got Shinigami power and start kicking some serious ass including Itachi and other strong villains with just a flick of his finger, Girls start seeing that he's cool and stuff and start swarming him like bees to honey. Finally Naruto goes and make a Harem, live happily ever after."

LOL, you practically described most harem fics out there in the last part.

#16 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 08:35 PM

There are very good Harem fics. Trust me, I've read some good ones. As for Bleach xovers... I've only read a few. (few good ones that is)

#17 MagusKyros

MagusKyros

Hare Krsna!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 23 July 2007 - 09:35 PM

QUOTE (ZeroJutsu @ Jul 23 2007, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are very good Harem fics. Trust me, I've read some good ones. As for Bleach xovers... I've only read a few. (few good ones that is)

The only one that comes close to being good is "From Ramen With Love," but the grammar makes it hard to read. He has a lot of run on sentences, and the paragraphs aren't broken up very neatly. Nonetheless, it's one of the better ones, but even tho, it's still somewhat of biased against females.

Temari is probably the only lady to actually see development with Naruto, and even then, there's still problems with it.

#18 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:37 AM

From Ramen with Love is actually one of the best ones I've read.

Creative. tongue.gif

P.S. Like my new banner, Ceras?

#19 Guest_Ceras_*

Guest_Ceras_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2007 - 06:00 PM

^__^ love your banner, ZJ.

So...it's occured to me that while crossovers are generally "unlikable" since most readers of Naruto fanfiction prefer stories that stick to the canon side of things...

But if one were to make a Naruto crossover, what would be the best combination? I've seen a couple people mention Ranma, Bleach, and Harry Potter (though how this one would work...I'm a little unsure...).

Personally I think Bleach would be a compatiable choice and fairly easy to somehow combine the "Naruto-verse" and "Bleach-verse" together. I think the real challenge in this crossover--in any crossover--is to make the character interactions believable and keep everyone in their respective character. I guess Inuyasha would also be a resonably good combination...

Anyone care to make other suggestoins?

#20 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 24 July 2007 - 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Ceras @ Jul 24 2007, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^__^ love your banner, ZJ.

So...it's occured to me that while crossovers are generally "unlikable" since most readers of Naruto fanfiction prefer stories that stick to the canon side of things...

But if one were to make a Naruto crossover, what would be the best combination? I've seen a couple people mention Ranma, Bleach, and Harry Potter (though how this one would work...I'm a little unsure...).

Personally I think Bleach would be a compatiable choice and fairly easy to somehow combine the "Naruto-verse" and "Bleach-verse" together. I think the real challenge in this crossover--in any crossover--is to make the character interactions believable and keep everyone in their respective character. I guess Inuyasha would also be a resonably good combination...

Anyone care to make other suggestoins?

I agree with Ceras. Bleach, generally is the best combination... because people usually do it when Naruto "dies". Thus, he meets the Shinigami and Gotei 13. It could work well if the author knows when and how to do it. "Shrouded in Orange" is the best one I've read so far. I'm waiting for an update. Inuyasha, well... that would be a hard one. But a few authors get it right. "Naruto of the Shikon" is a VERY good Naru/Inuyasha crossover.

Now, on the note of Harry Potter? It never works out. Harry Potter is set in the modern world. Naruto is set in a Feudal-ish Japan with modern technology. Magic and Chakra? It doesn't mix well. Unless an author does an exceptionally good job... no. And I have read a single one of Harry Potter crossovers that are good.

It's usually: "OMG, Naruto gets summoned by Dumbledore, and he teaches hogwarts Jutsu."

or....

"Naruto meets one of his remaining relatives and goes to Harry Potter world..." Some crazy **** like that. Whenever I click on one of those, it's usually laced with bad grammar and spelling.. and the story plain sucks.

My advice is to you... to whoever wants to write Harry Potter crossovers... come to this forum and get some tips. Bleach crossovers as well. Because as I said, you need to know when and HOW to do it in the story. a_dance.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users