Close
Photo

Ever read a fan fiction that disappointed you?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#81 LegendaryArcanine42

LegendaryArcanine42

'TIS LEGENDARY BRO!!!

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Anime/Manga<br />Storywriting<br />Songwriting<br />Kicking butt and taking names! &gt;:D

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

QUOTE (Konohakitten @ Oct 26 2011, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I was typing from my phone so typos are hard to avoid.

No problem, I've been there ¬_¬

#82 pharix

pharix

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:51 PM

I hate when people put in OCs with western names... I mean come on, give it a LITTLE effort

#83 LegendaryArcanine42

LegendaryArcanine42

'TIS LEGENDARY BRO!!!

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  • Interests:Music<br />Anime/Manga<br />Storywriting<br />Songwriting<br />Kicking butt and taking names! &gt;:D

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:53 PM

QUOTE (pharix @ Oct 26 2011, 08:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I hate when people put in OCs with western names... I mean come on, give it a LITTLE effort

Or, you could use a Japanese Name Generator tongue.gif

#84 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (pharix @ Oct 26 2011, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unless they're supposed to be from the West.
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#85 Bobtrias

Bobtrias

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 02:35 AM

Worse is when they make up japanese sounding names.

I hate harem fics, too. Naruto is no player. Only fic i'll forgive it is the threesome in time braid (where the cast is actially kind of loopy and desperate for love and attention).

Edit: Actually Time Braid hits all my Naruto pet peeves. God-like characters, unneccesary threesome, out of character promiscuous, ooc bisexuality... Yet it is my favourite Naruto fanfic ever. Sometimes the rules are made to be broken. The author knew he was hitting all themes and bent them to his will instead of being controlled by them.

Edited by Bobtrias, 27 October 2011 - 06:46 AM.

#86 LegendaryArcanine42

LegendaryArcanine42

'TIS LEGENDARY BRO!!!

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:46 AM

QUOTE (Kim @ Oct 27 2011, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I'm really not sure about Jiriaya, but I believe he was just a pervert and not really someone who slept around that much. I mean, if you had that many women and could have more, would you hide in the bushes and freak out over every naked girl you catch a glimpse of?
And even though he was the way he was, Jiriaya did the best for Naruto. He was about thirteen when they left to train so I can't imagine Jiriaya forcing him to sleep around, like I've read so many times.

You see? That's what I don't get... THE NARUTO CHARACTERS ARE FIFTEEN IN SHIPPUDEN!!!

How can they write the characters as being promiscuous? Fifteen years olds don't sleep around as often as some of these writers make them out to do... ¬_¬

#87 Bobtrias

Bobtrias

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:28 PM

You don't think unsupervised teenagers are going to be promiscuous? Especially in a setting with fuedal elements, where characters enter adulthood earlier on.

If the character being made into a player all the time wasn't Naruto, it wouldn't be so far fetched (it's just so unlike him).

Edited by Bobtrias, 27 October 2011 - 03:33 PM.

#88 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (Bobtrias @ Oct 27 2011, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You don't think unsupervised teenagers are going to be promiscuous? Especially in a setting with fuedal elements, where characters enter adulthood earlier on.

If the character being made into a player all the time wasn't Naruto, it wouldn't be so far fetched (it's just so unlike him).

laugh.gif If it's a setting with feudal elements, then teens like that would be the most un-ninja-like ninjas I could ever imagine. Nothing kills the mood like a shuriken to the.... heheelq7.png

Seriously though, if the story was trying to be more true-to-life, in a feudal era, then teen sex would either be desperate, poorly thought-out and bittersweet. Like out on a mission, don't know if they're going to make it past the battle the next day sort of thing, then having to face the reprecussions if they do live.

Or sex would be nonexistant and the teen's sexuality would be used to seal a deal of another nature, like saving the daughter to secure a good marriage.

The funny thing about the Naruto universe is it's a heavy mix of both past and modern. So in fanfics, people generally go towards one or the other, and primarily modern, from everything I've read. Even in reading the manga it's a stretch to bridge the old and the new. (One minute they're using monitors with the kages, the next they've got a machine hooked up to a Nara's brain, the next they're using hawks? Wha? If you can do that here...then why don't you....? Oh nevermind.)

I agree with Kim though. It's hard to imagine Jiraiya getting so giddy over peeping at women if he actually slept around a lot. I think that's what keeps him as being a likeable character is that there's the impression that underneath it all he's still true to Tsunade (kind of like Snape). I think he's an attention whore more than anything. And Tsunade probably knows that too. Because ultimately she still trusts him. Deeply. Knowing everything she does about him, she still sends a young, dumb, impressionable Naruto out with him.

So it's hard to read stories where Jiraiya is the corrupting pervert and Naruto is the willing participant. If anything, from that pre-shippuden excursion, Naruto showed that he had a very good moral compass for his age. He actively railed against Jiraiya for drinking so much, saying several times he was underage. Not once did he give even the hint of being corruptible.

But...I suppose it's much more interesting for fanfics if he is! And that's why we see those two — perverted Jiraiya and corrupted Naruto — together so often. It's the Bizarro Naruto!

#89 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 17 December 2011 - 01:41 AM

Anyone read this story yet? http://www.fanfictio...nt_care_anymore
I'm not bashing on it, but this is another good explain of OOC behavior.

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#90 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:37 AM

QUOTE (Toasty Warrior @ Dec 16 2011, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone read this story yet? http://www.fanfictio...nt_care_anymore
I'm not bashing on it, but this is another good explain of OOC behavior.

Talk about OC stories don't know what to say honestly but then again it's fan fiction after all the one thing someone can make Naruto whatever he'she wishes to do even pairing with Hinata or any of the female characters that isn't Sakura.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users