Close
Photo

The Great Naruto Discussion Thread

naruto wtf discuss

• Please log in to reply
31562 replies to this topic

#27981 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:57 AM

Probably. If all you watch is the Anime there is a lot more Basis for Naruhina and Sasusaku. They basically invented a ton of things that don't exist. I mean--the whole "Naked 12yr old Hinata under the waterfall scene" was still weird as kitten when I was 15, even weirder now that I'm 29.

As for me, I really only watched Part One in Anime. I just have a really hard time sitting through episodes of filler with nothing really happening  :argh:

Yeah, I would watch SOME filler, but I mostly read the manga.

#27982 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

The One True Demi-Goddess of Misfortune

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, things, people.

https://twitter.com/Huldra_Nix

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:00 AM

Basically, the only reason for me to watch Filler was to see more scenes of Sakura being a Boss.  :chuckle:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611991db478fd57f4321b
                                         Pls shame me for procrastinating.  :argh: 

#27983 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 07:09 AM

Went to my family (Canadian) Thanksgiving today. I remembered my cousin's kid liked Naruto a couple years back, she shows up today wearing a chunin hoodie. I guess she doesn't mind the ending since I know she experienced the anime over the manga.

This has me wondering: Are pro-Enders people who were more into the anime, while those disgusted by the ending were more manga based?

Yes. Like what Tsuki said the basis for a lot of nH/SS is in the anime. Kishimoto gave them some minor scene early on but it was clear to anyone who know anything about Shounen that the pairing was NS. With Hinata being largely irrelevant after the chunin exams, and any scene Sasuke and Sakura ever had. It was the anime that pushed nH because a lot of the guys working on it were Hinata fans but even they were bound to the fact that NS was canon...until they learn Hinata was popular in the US. They they went all out trying to boost her popularity to such level kishimoto would be forced to make her the love interest/heroine.

#27984 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:25 AM

Went to my family (Canadian) Thanksgiving today. I remembered my cousin's kid liked Naruto a couple years back, she shows up today wearing a chunin hoodie. I guess she doesn't mind the ending since I know she experienced the anime over the manga.

This has me wondering: Are pro-Enders people who were more into the anime, while those disgusted by the ending were more manga based?

Probably. If all you watch is the Anime there is a lot more Basis for Naruhina and Sasusaku. They basically invented a ton of things that don't exist. I mean--the whole "Naked 12yr old Hinata under the waterfall scene" was still weird as kitten when I was 15, even weirder now that I'm 29.

As for me, I really only watched Part One in Anime. I just have a really hard time sitting through episodes of filler with nothing really happening  :argh:

It does make sense make sense on paper. My only counter argument to that though is that even though NaruHina and SasuSaku get more focus and relevance focus in the story, it doesn't change any of the canon scenes between Naruto and Sakura that you see in the manga. Not to mention they had more NaruSaku scenes in the filler arcs too. examples. Sakura getting jealous when that chakra sucking lady was kissing him in the three tails arc. Sakura defending Naruto when Sai was reverse psychologically insulting Naruto to get her feelings and confidence in him out during his Rasenshuriken training, and in that same arc she at least did something nice for him in making the medicine balls even though they tasted like complete crap. That Mecha-Naruto Mini Arc when Naruto gave Sakura the flower and told her he would protect the Sakura that protected that flower, The Chikara arc that was going to be the 5th movie where Naruto was drinking form a river (which contained those evil micro organisms) But Sakura didn't dope slap him for once and actually gave him an amused smile. and there were nudges and winks at their relationship in a couple of the Shippuden opening and ending themes. Opening ten for Shippuden where Naruto looked like he was reaching to hug Sakura then embraced his dark side. The Ending song of Shippuden (21, was it?) Where it showed all the K11 girls and lastly Sakura who then reached out her hands to where Naruto's face was starting appear as giving it a loving hold. Those are the filler shipping moments between them I can list off the top of my head.

Besides even with how the Anime ends when compared to the manga It doesn't erase all the negative implications the manga had either. Naruto's terrible day on what was supposed to be the greatest day of his life when he achieved his life dream of being Hokage (that side chapter was an ova), that he sucked and failed at being the messiah for the world and bring in peace as Boruto can attest to, the FACT THAT the remaining filler episodes that happened after the last battle with Sasuke takes place after The Last:Naruto the Movie so that whole debacle of him sulking in a corner when the world was coming to an end because HINATA WOULDN'T ACCEPT HIS LOVE CONFESSION, is still canon. The list can go on.

So my argument would be that anyone that can tolerate Naruto even now is probably someone THAT ABSOLUTELY DIDN'T CARE about the writing and literary messages to begin with or FLAT OUT IGNORED THEM, Hinata fanatics being the prime and most extreme example you can think of

Edited by Phantom_999, 03 November 2019 - 05:33 AM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#27985 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:55 AM

You forget that not many people in the US continued to watch Naruto after part one. A lot of people were left with a notion, "it would be nice if Hinata got together with Naruto." Then if they continued watching the anime they carried that with them often to the end. Which they were then proven right in their minds.

So for the US fanbase their isn't much problems other then Naruto is no longer main stream, or on prime time.

However, the contradictions did effect Japan and that is why Kishimoto and Boruto are disliked there.

#27986 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 10:16 AM

They only showed Part II on late night showtimes correct?

#27987 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:10 PM

I dont know I remember the schedule being really erratic so I could almost never catch it.

It does make sense make sense on paper. My only counter argument to that though is that even though NarHina and SasuSaku get more focus and relevance focus in the story, it doesn't change any of the canon scenes between Naruto and Sakura that you see in the manga. Not to mention they had more NaruSaku scenes in the filler arcs too. examples. Sakura getting jealous when that chakra sucking lady was kissing him in the three tails arc. Sakura defending Naruto when Sai was reverse psychologically insulting Naruto to get her feelings and confidence in him out during his Rasenshuriken training, and in that same arc she at least did something nice for him in making the medicine balls even though they tasted like complete crap. That Mecha-Naruto Mini Arc when Naruto gave Sakura the flower and told her he would protect the Sakura that protected that flower, The Chikara arc that was going to be the 5th movie where Naruto was drinking form a river (which contained those evil micro organisms) But Sakura didn't dope slap him for once and actually gave him an amused smile. and there were nudges and winks at their relationship in a couple of the Shippuden opening and ending themes. Opening ten for Shippuden where Naruto looked like he was reaching to hug Sakura then embraced his dark side. The Ending song of Shippuden (21, was it?) Where it showed all the K11 girls and lastly Sakura who then reached out her hands to where Naruto's face was starting appear as giving it a loving hold. Those are the filler shipping moments between them I can list off the top of my head.

Besides even with how the Anime ends when compared to the manga It doesn't erase all the negative implications the manga had either. Naruto's terrible day on what was supposed to be the greatest day of his life when he achieved his life dream of being Hokage (that side chapter was an ova), that he sucked and failed at being the messiah for the world and bring in peace as Boruto can attest to, the FACT THAT the remaining filler episodes that happened after the last battle with Sasuke takes place after The Last:Naruto the Movie so that whole debacle of him sulking in a corner when the world was coming to an end because HINATA WOULDN'T ACCEPT HIS LOVE CONFESSION, is still canon. The list can go on.

So my argument would be that anyone that can tolerate Naruto even now is probably someone THAT ABSOLUTELY DIDN'T CARE about the writing and literary messages to begin with or FLAT OUT IGNORED THEM, Hinata fanatics being the prime and most extreme example you can think of

I personally think it comes down to SP covering all their bases and trying to milk all the pairing a bit. The more fan service they give the better. :zaru:

I feel like that entire scene in RTN with sakura and the akatsuki was fanservice to those shippers.

Edited by Tsuki Hoshino, 14 October 2019 - 02:11 PM.

#27988 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:37 PM

Even so they didn't take out the the manga original scenes for NaruSaku, So yeah.

#27989 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 03:21 PM

Yea but just because they didn't take them out doesnt mean they have the same impact when there are 300+ filler episodes padding Naruhina and Sasusaku. If you're watching the anime you're naturally going to think there is more to them then there actually is.

In the manga Hinata probably only has 50-100 pages max and most of them are her doing nothing. In the anime she has a lot more coverage giving the watchers the impression that she actually has "substance".

And thanks to filler we get tortured with Sasusaku scenes that also never existed. I mean honestly the anime is basically fanfiction lmao.

#27990 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 12:18 AM

Oh yeah I get what you mean. There is way more moments in between the canon NaruSaku moments and that gives the NH and SS pairings more weight. What I'm trying to say though is  that even though there are way more moments for NaruHina and SasuSaku and definitely gives them more leverage, I don't think that it makes the canon NaruSaku moments less impactful than the manga. I speak from personal experience, and I know that it does not amount to much all things considered, but I started off as an anime exclusive fan in my early years of following Naruto. and even though I went through all the original anime filler episodes I've always felt Naruto and Sakura made sense.

Because no matter how many moments went by that teased at Naruto and Hinata and Sasuke and Sakura they did it didn't change the fact that Naruto cheered on Sakura very loudly might I add when she had her match with Ino in the preliminary fights for the chunin exam and came close to losing or how Sakura shouted encouraged Naruto encouragement in his fight with Kiba. It doesn't change the impact that Naruto tried to cheer Sakura up as best he could when she went to him about Sasuke after their fight at the hospital or how he made the promise of a life time with her after Sasuke left and broke her heart. And it doesn't change the fact that despite the moments between Sasuke and Sakura he chose revenge over her and Naruto and his entire village. Even going through all the filler arcs for that entire year and a half before Shippuden I didn't think that Hinata deserved to  get Naruto or that her personality meshed well with his.

And that lead to when I saw the first arc of Shippuden with the Gaara rescue arc and BOY did I feel that Naruto and Sakura made some progress and got closer, With Hinata nowhere to be seen. I felt happy when Sakura asked Naruto i she looked more like a woman, let Naruto know that she looked into his back ground and actually understood why Naruto was being hunted by the Akatsuki. Or how she felt sorrow for him when he revealed how he had the Kyuubi inside him and that made him similar to Gaara and understood more than anyone the pain Gaara when through. Or how she cried when she found out Naruto would die if he got his taken out of him, and definitely when Sakura declared to her self she would protect Naruto now and not just getting Sasuke home. All of those moments felt Genuine to me and I felt more confident than ever about Naruto and Sakura.

All of this came straight from the anime for me. I did not even discover reading the manga online until I actually chanced upon in by accident on the internet looking up some information on the series. What happened was I was only collecting the  (ahem*) burnt  copies of the anime episodes from this shop that sold copies of anime close by me, but I wasn't getting the often and everyone else that I talked to about Naruto knew way more about it than me and told me things that never happened in the anime yet so I was getting a little frustrated with that. The last part I left off at with the anime from the burnt discs was when Naruto was forming the Team to get Sasuke from Orochimaru's lair. so right before they headed off to the bridge where Sasori and Orochimaru were supposed to meet. Then I foudnd a website where the newest episodes were being uploaded weekly so I followed that for a while all the way up to when Sasuke defeated the team and left with Orochimaru. After that was when I discover the website that is now mangapanda.com. ( I forgot what it was called before) It just released the part when Sasuke was ending the fight with Itachi with the latter walking to Sasuke moment before his death and Sasuke incapable of breaking through Susanoo. when I saw the manga I jumped out of my skin and started reading where I left off in the anime. That was in 2007

So That's my life story regarding Naruto. I felt NaruSaku from the very beginning even in the anime personally. I know this is anecdotal evidence which holds little persuasion, but I felt I should voice it all the same :smile: Not sure if others here felt the same way, but yeah.  :happy:

Edited by Phantom_999, 15 October 2019 - 12:25 AM.

#27991 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:20 AM

Personally, when I first started Naruto It seemed like SS might have a chance but with the way things developed it seems like the story was set for NS to be endgame which made sense to me. Sasukebegan to seem like one of those passing crushes young girls had and then grew out of when they realized there was someone better right beside them all along. And Since Naruto was the MC it seemed like a given that his endgame would be fulfilling the goals he was constantly bragging about; Becoming Hokage, making Sakura his girl and showing everyone they were wrong about him. 

Up until literally that last chapter of Naruto it seemed like NH had 0 chances of happening and Sasusaku didn't have much of a prayer either. And that's just from reading the Manga. 
I'm sure with the Anime they added a lot of filler moments and subtext for the other ships to the point it seems like NH and SS are just as developed as NS and the only thing that really sways a person is A. already know the end and B. personal perception. 

Every single one of us has a Bias about what we like in a person or what we think constitutes a good couple, and even simple words/scenes can have a different context depending on the person reading and looking at them.Some people looked at the Scene where Sakura confessed to Naruto and saw literally nothing truthful or romantic about it and others took Sakura at her word.  Even with that said, I don't feel like my personal bias kept me from seeing the "True endgame" I feel like it was just Kishimoto's kitten writing :zaru: 

Edited by Tsuki Hoshino, 15 October 2019 - 01:20 AM.

#27992 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:43 AM

Originally, Disney picked it up and put it on their Disney XD channel. However, since the anime switched channel more importantly one you have to pay to get in some TV subscriptions its had a drastic drop in viewership. At some point they dropped it. CN bought it back and put it on their toonami/adultswim.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 15 October 2019 - 02:26 AM.

#27993 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:01 AM

Oh okay thanks for the info. Yeah I just remembered Disney picked it up when it was announced in english and I thought it was strange. But anyway that is a factor in the grand scheme of things yeah. I do wonder though how many fans watch the uploads of the japanese episodes. The non consumer fans so to speak, although I guess besides viewership numbers on a website for the anime uploads, you really can't collect data on that. So I guess forget about that barrel of apples.

@ Tsuki- yeah with all that is said it actually is kind of hard to pinpoint how and why some fans still like Naruto while others despise it. It may be beyond the label of whether you solely watch the anime or only read the manga or some combination of both. As far as I know those that are not aware of the ending either had no access to the anime/ manga or they dropped the series in which case they no longer follow it. It could be some were consumers of Naruto t-shirts and other such merch before they the stopped following or liking it and wore it just because it was something to wear. I'm not sure what the correct answer is but the data presented for the western fan base and the numbers in consumerism and such are in actuality skewered by the very fact that one can watch anime online for free now days.

Actually yeah. I think the anime community internationally speaking is actually harder to determine now than back then just because anime is now commonly uploaded on the internet so anyone can access it. This makes it hard to say if the numbers give an accurate picture of the number of fans an anime has garnered

Edited by Phantom_999, 21 December 2019 - 12:21 AM.

#27994 ultranx

ultranx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:DBZ, naruto, pokemon, digimon, one piece, megaman, sonic, legend of zelda, yugioh,gurren lagann, transformers, kingdom hearts, yuyu hakusho, sword art online, tmnt, gundam.

Posted 15 October 2019 - 01:16 PM

how's everyone been? I went back and played my copy of xenoblade chronicles 2 and finished the story, became addicted to the game  and even did new game plus, also been playing yugioh legacy of the duelist link evolution. hope everyone's been doing well, what I miss? boruto become any more of a trainwreck?

also I've been all excited about this:

"I think there is no such thing as a spinoff in the megaman series, every series is a main series on its own. when speaking of "megaman", there will always be people who think of "x" as well as people who think of "exe", and I think that's why each one's concept of what megaman is changes depending on the generation. for that reason, we don't want to deny any series of its future." - tsuchiya, guy behind megaman 11 and new megaman producer taking keiji inafune's job.

also just noticed there's no megaman thread.

Edited by ultranx, 15 October 2019 - 01:31 PM.

tumblr_mba4mg4Ip61ryf7dio1_r1_500.gif

#27995 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 02:46 PM

Can a trainwreck ever become something other than a trainwreck?  :lmao: 

Sometimes i feel like out of nowhere its going to be revealed it was all just infinite Tsukiyomi and the Naruto fandom experienced the greatest troll of all time. But nah. 

#27996 TheFirstEvil100

TheFirstEvil100

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:Reading and watching Naruto, play on my PS3 playing on my Pokemon games mainly Pokemon X right now I also like watching good Horror films.

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:09 PM

Can a trainwreck ever become something other than a trainwreck?  :lmao: 

Sometimes i feel like out of nowhere its going to be revealed it was all just infinite Tsukiyomi and the Naruto fandom experienced the greatest troll of all time. But nah. 

Its what I would do if I owned Naruto.

#27997 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 03:31 PM

its what I would do too. The buzz it would generate, and the fact that its a built in "Oh i kittened up but i can fix it." feature.it doesn't require a massive leap to believe it since it seems like everything we're seeing is contrary to what was preestablished in the original series. Everything just seems wrong and everyone's personalities and lives are all kittened up which is easily explained if what they're living in is actual an imaginary world.

Also its 2019 and Naruto buzzcut hair is still bad. 

#27998 Moon_Girl

Moon_Girl

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:OTPs:
    NaruSaku - Naruto x Sakura (Naruto Series)
    Het Chrobin - Chrom x Robin♀ (Fire Emblem Awakening)
    Clerith - Cloud x Aerith (Final Fantasy VII Series)
    Demelith - Demetri x Byleth♀ (Fire Emblem Three Houses/Hopes)
    Phantom/Erik x Christine (Phantom of the Opera)
    Jintan x Menma (AnoHana)
    ZeLink - Link x Zelda (Legend of Zelda Series)

Posted 15 October 2019 - 11:12 PM

Jiraiya: A good guy who dies doing good things.
Tsunade: a good person who lives in constant pain and regret despite all her achievements.
Orochimaru: An awful no good, very bad POS who gets everything he wanted in the end.

Faaaaaan-kittening-tastic msg :zaru:

So basically Hinata, right?  :chuckle:

NaruSaku will always be better than crack and fan fiction

#27999 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 10:27 AM

Oh no Orochimaru never got that special treatment where story consistency and character relevance is completely dropped for you :zaru:

#28000 KClaws_2

KClaws_2

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 11:09 AM

He had the passion to DRAW the characters yeah, but it doesn't seem like he was really invested in the story, if all he was doing is asking how to make it popular. 

Yeah, that's the thing that I never got either; how someone can only just be in it if it's popular rather than telling a good story.

The thing about art is that you have to pursue it for the love of it, not for the success it will bring...because the odds of that happening are slim to none in the first place. So few works ever get a chance to shine in the mainstream, and even fewer actually stay there.

I guess Kishimoto saw the success of DragonBall and wanted to copy it, without realizing its popularity was an accident. Most mangaka are broke as kitten. I think he had a panic attack when he realized what he had gotten himself into and prodded Yahigi to help him make it popular.

I do still think most of the softening of the story is more Kishimoto growing older, having kids, and having a minor panic of I don't want my kids to see something violent. What the change of editors did was make the story have more plot holes and become more inconsistent. Partily due to them trying to screw around with the story, and partly due to them not being able to both help and rein in Kishimoto.

Kishimoto does his best work when he has a good editor supporting him; enough to produce the third best selling manga ever. Without a good editor...he is. Ok, does too much exposition and has some weird idea but at it core still has a decent story.

I honestly feel like if its "Because he had kids." He would have written a story in which bad guys have to face justice. In which there are people who are just BAD and there is no explaining it. Because that teaches a real-life reality. It becomes a cautionary tale rather than "Don't worry every bad thing you do doesn't mean a thing because a golden child will be sympathetic to you UwU" 

I can’t speak from personal experience about kids, but Kishimoto could have simply not let them read it. Spielberg forbade his kids from watching Jurassic Park when it first came out, and he still went on to make Saving Private Ryan. Roberto Rodriguez made things like Spy Kids, and he still made Machete. Besides, even the grittier stuff he wrote was targeted towards kids. 
As for the messages he was trying to pass, yeah, not a good idea. I think it’s wonderful to pass a moral message to your readers, but it has to be in a way that is practical for the real world. 
In Orochimaru’s case, he could have had characters forgive him as a person, but imprison him for his deeds nonetheless. Kishimoto could have used the past atrocities to highlight how many of them did what they thought was right, but show their actions were still wrong and now they had to live with reasonable consequences. I could go on, but there were so many other ways to competently preach about peace and forgiveness. Naruto wasn’t one of them.

I don't know if he did everything he could to finish, because he was still churning out new characters all the time when he could have just focused on a few and finished if he had the ideas to do so--he was just bored of the MC and didn't really know what to do anymore and then he really screwed up by Overpowering Madara to the point that he had to make Kaguya just to get rid of him. It just becomes so damn bizarre at the end. 

I think Kishimoto stopped with the tactics because tactics are hard to figure tbh. It's easy to just give random power-ups and OP abilities rather than focus on minute details. "Why bother with trickery when I can just railgun through the door!"

From what I remember, he wanted to develop Kakashi and Sakura more, but I guess his editors said no to those. I feel like the war arc was a big catch up/cram session in an attempt to flesh out the world he created; something he should have done much, MUCH earlier. 

You pretty much nailed it on why tactics were thrown out the window. Even so, Kishimoto could have asked his assistants to research ninja tactics and war strategy. The problem with this, though, is that Naruto since its inception wasn’t really about ninjas. 
This is why I love the 2012 TMNT; they use ACTUAL ninjutsu and strategies in their battles. Just watch Gaijin Goomba’s video on the Ninja Turtles.

Kishimoto could have also used more of the works that inspired Naruto, particularly Jiraiya. Again, watch GG’s video with Johnny Young Bosch. 

You know what, just watch all of Gaijin’s videos, because they are informative and just awesome.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: naruto, wtf, discuss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users