5 replies to this topic

#1 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:40 PM

Hi, guys! I'd like to ask for some help on coloring drawings! I love making sketches, but I rarely color them. I mostly like creating some b&w ones. So, I'd like to ask for some advice. First of all, do you color your sketches by hand or using the computer? What equipment do you use? Any ideas? I googled that subject but I didn't actually find something helpful... Thanks!!

#2 Froot

Froot

She's Certainly a Hurricane

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 12:34 AM

QUOTE (Sakura_1_ @ Apr 2 2010, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi, guys! I'd like to ask for some help on coloring drawings! I love making sketches, but I rarely color them. I mostly like creating some b&w ones. So, I'd like to ask for some advice. First of all, do you color your sketches by hand or using the computer? What equipment do you use? Any ideas? I googled that subject but I didn't actually find something helpful... Thanks!!

Perhaps I'm not the best to give you advice, as I'm still learning myself, but I suppose I can answer a few questions.

First of all, do you color your sketches by hand or using the computer?

That depends on personal preference. I've seen some by hand, some with computer. However, I do prefer computer, because, first of all, art supplies are so expensive. Computer coloring is great because it has so many programs you can use to color, most of the time they're easy to get and free/really cheap/illegal and there are tools like Wacom drawing tablets that make it so much more fun.

Basically, it's up to you, but if you're a beginner I'd recommend starting with either colorings by hand or coloring linearts on MS Paint. happy.gif

What equipment do you use?

If, by equipment, you're referring to digital equipment, then I use MS Paint, Paint.NET, GIMP, and Photoshop CS3.

Again, it really depends on personal tastes, but you can pick what you like. Paint.NET is good for starters. At least for me. I started with MS Paint, then on to Paint.NET, then SAI & GIMP, then finally graduated to Photoshop.

So, I would recommend starting out by coloring linearts on MS Paint until you feel comfortable with it. If you want some linearts, I could hook you up. wow.png

(Also, if you don't mind, do you have any of your work uploaded somewhere?)

#3 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 09:20 PM

Thank you very much for your help!!! Well, i'd love to upload my drawings, but I odn't have a scanner, so it will take me a little more time than u may expect...I'll try to do so within the next few days!! Is there any other way to upload them???

#4 Froot

Froot

She's Certainly a Hurricane

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 10:17 PM

Um, no, not that I'm aware of. However, you could use a friend's scanner if they have one, or maybe your school, local library, or whatever public center you may have will.

I guess you could take a picture, but it would have to be a really good picture with high camera quality.

Like I said, if you need any, I could always provide you with linearts. happy.gif

#5 jworks

jworks

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 403 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:12 AM

good info Froot.

as far as digital or traditional coloring, I love to do both because when using traditional media you can get closer to the piece of art both as the artist and the viewer. When viewing physical art work you can really see the artist's thought processes and their approach to creating the piece. This is even more evident in sketches, so don't forget how valuable they are. i love to see finished art work, but sometimes i love to see the original, rough sketches even more. And with digital art work, there are a lot of things unique to the medium and directions you can go with it. I recommend doing both.

For digital stuff, i use photoshop, and haven't used much else, so i'm not much help otherwise. But it does cost a lot if you have to buy it, so stick with Froot's recommendations for programs.

if you are looking to pursue digital painting, I think a huge priority is to get a Wacom Tablet, i feel like painting and drawing with a mouse is like trying to draw with a brick dipped in paint.

and once you are all set, start by experimenting and getting comfortable with the tools and medium. Then from there, there are a lot of directions you could go...online tutorials, mimicking styles, and eventually developing your own style and technique

I hope all this isn't to intimidating or overwhelming, your are gonna have a blast doing it!

GAMBATTE!!!

#6 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

Thanks very much!! Well, coloring with ur mouse really IS awful!!! But Wacom Tablet's kinda expensive X__X
I'd also like to thank froot!! Please, provide me with some linearts if it's not hard for you!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users