48 replies to this topic

#1 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

I have recently acquired a giftcard to Barnes and Nobles and it has been a while since I last read a good book! So the point of this thread is to help me find a book to buy.
If you recommend a book please tell why.

Reason for edit:Simpler+too many exclamation marks!

Edited by Muffins?, 24 March 2010 - 07:38 PM.

JLHza2T.png

#2 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:51 PM

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth saga. Can't recommend this series enough. Fave book series for me ever =3

http://www.sword-of-...-sword-of-truth

The series officially starts with Wizard's First Rule happy.gif

#3 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:03 PM

I know this cool serious called Naruto. It's pretty new and obscure, so you should jump in on the boat when it shows its potential.

#4 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:41 PM

What genre of books do you normally read?

I'd suggest the Dresden Files (Storm Front is the first one) by Jim Butcher. It's set in an AU Chicago where Magic is real but the majority of people don't believe in it. Harry Dresden is Chicago's first (and only) Wizard-For-Hire.

http://www.jim-butch...m/books/dresden
QUOTE ("Down Goes Brown")
(For the younger readers, "HMV" and "Sam The Record Man" were record stores.)

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#5 Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Sometimes I get to poetic for my own good!

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Reading Fanfiction and video games(lately it's only being the former)

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:10 PM

I've been reading The left hand of God by Paul Hoffman pretty good book IMO.

QUOTE (Kamina-Yoshi @ Mar 24 2010, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know this cool serious called Naruto. It's pretty new and obscure, so you should jump in on the boat when it shows its potential.

Obscure? Are you sure you're thinking about the same Naruto I am?

#6 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Whirlpool-Maelstrom @ Mar 25 2010, 06:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been reading The left hand of God by Paul Hoffman pretty good book IMO.

Obscure? Are you sure you're thinking about the same Naruto I am?

I believe that's what he thought was his sarcastic 'wit' shining through tongue.gif

#7 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Best book I've ever read, hands down. And I read a LOT.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#8 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:51 PM

OH! I have a good book to recommend!

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.

It's a memoir about Jeannette's childhood. It's amazing! It was a bestseller. The story isn't about romance, or anything cheesy, it's about her alcoholic dad and a, somewhat, bipolar mom.
I'm actually, at this moment, writing an essay about it for school. XD
But really, you guys should really read it!

#9 Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Whirlpool-Maelstrom

Sometimes I get to poetic for my own good!

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 234 posts
  • Interests:Reading Fanfiction and video games(lately it's only being the former)

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:53 PM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Mar 25 2010, 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown
Best book I've ever read, hands down. And I read a LOT.

Gotta pick that one up, though i've never read any of the stuff from Dan Brown.

Edited by Whirlpool-Maelstrom, 25 March 2010 - 10:53 PM.

#10 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (Whirlpool-Maelstrom @ Mar 25 2010, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gotta pick that one up, though i've never read any of the stuff from Dan Brown.

He's my favorite author. He wrote The Da Vinci Code and Angels and Demons, both made into movies. The Lost Symbol is his best work to me though, just so much more in it is revealed that the other books. Definitely give it a try, you won't be disappointed and if you are I will hound you until you give a realistic reason why you are 8D.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#11 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:00 AM

Anything by Terry Pratchett. Good Omens is a good start. Cool book he did with Neil Gaiman. Most of his Discworld series is gold.

#12 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Sir Whirly @ Mar 25 2010, 08:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anything by Terry Pratchett. Good Omens is a good start. Cool book he did with Neil Gaiman. Most of his Discworld series is gold.

This I agree with as well a_thumbs.gif

#13 Sora no Kitsune

Sora no Kitsune

Keyblade Master

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Interests:Manga/Anime - Naruto, FMA, ect.<br />Video Games - Kingdom Hearts, Metroid, LoL, Tera<br />Music - 2 Step from Hell, Rise Against, 30stm<br />Books - Inheritance Cycle (Eragon Series), Game of Thrones<br />Sports - DAGORHIR!!!!<br />

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

Not sure if you've read it, but i would recommend starting the "Inheritance Cycle", which starts with "Eragon" by Christopher Paolini. Some people talk down on it by saying he just copied bits a pieces from other works into his series, but i beg to differ, and i highly recommend it if your into that kind of genre: Fantasy of dragons, elves, dwarves, magic, ect.

Get Chance and Luck!!~

#14 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 26 March 2010 - 01:56 AM

QUOTE (Jwolf0 @ Mar 25 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That would help along with a single book or a series?

What about horror? You should try House of Leaves if you like a thrilling yet confusing novel that takes some understanding to figure out.
Here is as short summary --Click here to view--
In "House of Leaves," there's a young guy named Johnny Truant who's acting as literary editor, presenting the compelling and disturbing scribblings and ramblings on an old man named Zampano. Zampano's papers, which are presented posthumously, recount, at times blow-for-blow, a documentary film called "The Navidson Record" of a family moving into a house which proves to be larger on the inside than it is on the outside. There is also another editor above Johnny, who makes comments on top of Johnny's comments. Johnny finds himself wondering if the old man didn't just make up the whole story about the young family moving into the house, because Johnny is unable to find any corroborating scrap of proof that the film exists.

Of course, add into the mix that Johnny is a self-admitted fibber and story teller extraordinaire. He tells us how much fun he has making up completely bogus stories for the benefit of strangers he meets in bars. Knowing this, the reader has to start to wonder if the old man, Zampano, even exists, or if he's just an invention of Johnny's. And if you follow that line of thinking too far, you might even start to wonder if the heavy black book you're holding exists. This is the haunted house that's in the film that the old man made up and wrote about as if it were as real as he was, but who was really just a figment of the narrator's fertile imagination, the narrator that doesn't really exist, except on paper and in the reader's mind and imagination...so maybe none of it exists...or all of it does. Maybe the house has turned on its porch lights somewhere deep, deep inside of you, down all those twisting tunnels and swirling, dark echoing caves.

Maybe there's a sign out front. "For Sale By Owner." And under that, in small print, in French, upside down and backwards, "Buyer Beware."
Definitely on par with Stephen King's writing and easily the scariest book I've read. Hell man I had to leave the hallway light on when I went to bed at night..(You have to do this when you live alone in a creaky apartment!!) Also it even has its own cult following! Give it a try if you want some nightmares biggrin.gif

#15 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 19 April 2010 - 04:16 PM

Well, if you're also interested in non-fiction and politics, I suggest Future of Freedom & Post-American world by Fareed Zakaria. Seriously, his analytical skills are epic!!!

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#16 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:33 AM

I'm a book whore I read every genre I spend too much time reading. Anyways thanks for the suggestions I'm going to be doing some research will buy more books! (check out at library cause I'm broke)

JLHza2T.png

#17 Burning_Wulf

Burning_Wulf

Just your friendly, neighborhood zombie hunter.

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Wolves, Anime/Manga, Rx7, NaruSaku, Timeoff work, Sleeping, Comics, Napping, Cats, Resting, Skeet, and Racing plus too much more....

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:33 AM

If you want a good fantasy book, try the Bedlam's Bard series by Mercedes Lackey.

coco_zps31bec3d3.jpg

#18 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Jwolf0 @ Mar 25 2010, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd suggest the Dresden Files (Storm Front is the first one) by Jim Butcher. It's set in an AU Chicago where Magic is real but the majority of people don't believe in it. Harry Dresden is Chicago's first (and only) Wizard-For-Hire.

http://www.jim-butch...m/books/dresden

Agreed. Harry is an awesome Wizard. Funny as hell too.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#19 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 08:14 PM

39 CLUES: THE MAZE OF BONES
39 CLUES: THE FALSE NOTE

Mystery, adventure, agony... I were reading them at 2 o'clock (at night) using the light from the street lamp that was entering my room.. I didn't want to hear my mom meowning again.... XD

#20 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Sir Whirly @ Mar 25 2010, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Currently starting his Discworld series by reading the first book, The Colour of Magic. Hilarious. Seems like the crossing over events from the later books doesn't happen here, I don't know what to read next though. I'm also 2/3 (I think) done with Good Omens, funny stuff. I'm hoping to pick up Neil Gaiman's American Gods book simply because I'm a bit of a myth geek. I'm not sure it's as a comedic as Good Omens, is it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users