61 replies to this topic

#21 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:21 AM

CRAWWWWWWWWWWWLING IN MY SKINNNNNNNN. THESE WOUNDS THEY WILLLLLL NOT HEAL.

/angst

Get over it.

#22 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:28 AM

rolleyes.gif Its not like we don't have a good thing to worry about.

#23 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:58 AM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Sep 10 2009, 09:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
rolleyes.gif Its not like we don't have a good thing to worry about.

What was that?

All I heard was the sound of angst.

#24 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 11 September 2009 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Sep 10 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What was that?

All I heard was the sound of angst.

lol Cloud

#25 SageNaru

SageNaru

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Anime/Manga and Vidya

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:08 AM

Anyone have a link to the article or something like that?

#26 Shadow-kun

Shadow-kun

Sage Wolf

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:09 AM

QUOTE (True @ Sep 11 2009, 01:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This pretty much sums up my reaction at the news.

Edited by Shadow-kun, 11 September 2009 - 03:30 AM.

Visit my cute Dragons!

Spreading the Horoism!

#27 Daniee

Daniee

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:30 AM

I'm glad to see it on TV and somebody giving it a chance again. CN just didn't promote the series as much as they should have. I hope they regret ditching it.

Unless it airs on Saturday morning or something I would expect it to have the same level of censorship that it had on Cartoon Network (meaning, not very much). But I don't think I have this channel, so I won't be able to watch it anyway. >:(

#28 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:31 AM

QUOTE (Froot @ Sep 10 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am NOT happy about it being on American t.v. In fact, I wish Naruto wasn't even an anime at all. All the over-exaggerations, the subbing, and the FILLERS! IMO, it is just so much better in its pure form - as a manga.

Sometimes the anime actually improves Kishimoto's work- like this week's episode the JiraTsu scenes especially- wow. They built on what Kishimoto showed in the manga and made it even more romantic. Watching the anime it's obvious how much Tsunade is in love with Jiraiya and how much she wants to say it and wants to hear him admit his feelings of love for her. It's also clearer that Jiraiya is almost fully convinced that Tsunade loves him but he's afraid he's reading the situation wrong. If they did that well on this scene (and generally in Shippuden, intensely emotional scenes- ones with romantic undertones especially, have been handled in a way that improves on Kishimoto's work- giving it an even stronger impact on the viewers. 429-30, 450, 458-9 should be beautifully done if the pattern continues.)

The one other worrying thing other than the censored dialogue and action (hmm wonder if Tsunade's drunkeness in 126 will be censored by Disney...) is Disney will likely go after fansubbers much more harshly than CN, etc... have.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#29 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 11 September 2009 - 03:37 AM

QUOTE (SageNaru @ Sep 10 2009, 11:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone have a link to the article or something like that?

Source here.

Actually, both facts are wrong. (Not towards the link but this "little" situation we're currently having here, since I'm already sense negativity). As I explained before, over here, the series is and still VERY popular. Understand that we're in a country that people, especially with parents/conservatives, WILL complain if the show isn't in appropriate standards for the target audience. Do not blame Viz Media, blame US censorship.

And how do you say worse?

We haven't seen the edits yet, in fact, it hasn't been aired yet. Sure the fillers were aired back on Cartoon Network, but the big issue was the channel, after stopping Toonami, they suddenly stop promoting it even though they had aired the 3 Movies. Thus since Naruto is a "cash cow" series, meaning good show that can give great ratings and promotions, Cartoon Network lost it to the competition.

And here's another issue, if you don't like the edited verions, just buy the DVDs/download via Itunes since they are in English uncut. Seriously, if you don't like the anime, save your tongue and continue reading the manga and move on.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#30 Freakazoid

Freakazoid

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:03 AM

I'm willing to give it a fair shot. Is there a scheduled date for it to start up?

#31 Evil Potato

Evil Potato

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:12 AM

I think some of you may be thinking that they are introducing a new character cast from Disney. I believe that Viz dubs, and Disney allows it to air on their channel, nothing more(at least I hope). Anyways this is a terrible idea, I mean, little kids that are used to watching their sweet innocent sheltered Disney shows are now getting smacked in the face with DEATH, MURDER, SMOKING, BLOOD, GORE, SEXUAL REFERENCES. Yeah good job Disney, you guys really did your research on this one. Sorry guys, I know a lot of you were looking foward to Shippuden on TV, but this is nightmare, the one unpredictable outcome that actually came true. This should have been for the REAL fans of Naruto, not the people who don't care about anime and would rather watch Disney because their parents don't want them exposed to anime (some of you may watch both, thats cool and all). Well guys the way I see it Shippuden will either be peeled to the core with no violence(impossible) no blood(impossible) and no weapons(stupid impossible), or maybe we can sit back and watch fireworks fly as Disney get racked for introducing children to a series meant for adults and mature teens.

#32 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Sep 10 2009, 10:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Disney will likely go after fansubbers much more harshly than CN, etc... have.

>.<I forgot about that Disney has harsher policies that most Dubbers do. sleep.gif dry.gif sad.gif I am an subed only watcher myself so, this is bad news for me. Since, I might have to wait until the Dvds are out.

#33 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:27 AM

How many people have access to DisneyXD? Compared to Cartoon Network which most people who have cable can watch, DisneyXD can't compare when appealing to a bigger audience. The censoring thing is because America is a lot stricter to what can be viewed on television than compared to Japan. You can blame the FCC instead of Viz on this one.

But also the censoring thing really doesn't bother me. When I grew up watching anime my favorite shows were Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Gundam Wing, Mobile Fighter G Gudam, Tenchi Muyo, Rurouni Kenshin, Big O, Outlaw Star, etc; I absolutely enjoyed them even though they were censored like hell compared to the Japanese versions. When you're 10-14 do you really care about the content level? The only reason I see for complaining is because most people who watch Naruto here are older than the targeted demographic (Shounen is aimed for teenage boys after all).

Main stream anime in America died after Toonami went from airing on weekdays to Saturday nights and eventually forgoing it all on Cartoon Network. You don't have the lineup that you used to that kids could watch when they came back from school and now it's even moved to Scifi channel. Don't know why you'd want to bring Shippuden when it's complete kitten (in my opinion!) with terrible pacing, horrendous fillers, and crappy animation. Why must the kids suffer with that when they can watch better anime like FMA: Brotherhood, Dragon Ball Kai, One Piece, and Spice & Wolf? Damn it Viz/Funi present the good popular shows!

#34 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:31 AM

QUOTE (True @ Sep 11 2009, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't know why you'd want to bring Shippuden when it's complete kitten (in my opinion!) with terrible pacing, horrendous fillers, and crappy animation. Why must the kids suffer with that when they can watch better anime like FMA: Brotherhood, Dragon Ball Kai, One Piece, and Spice & Wolf? Damn it Viz/Funi present the good popular shows!

Word.

I miss Toonami simply because I used to be able to set my PVR to weekends and record episodes of Rurouni Kenshin. I mean the dubbing could be better, but it was awesome to see a cartoon channel dedicated timeslots to anime.

#35 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:44 AM

Actually, SyFy (they change the words, still the same channel) don't have anime anymore... not that I recall any of them airing recently.

And if I recall, XD is part of the regular Cable package for cable and satellite providers. I believe majority of people who have families and have either of those type of digital viewing so they will have it.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#36 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Sep 10 2009, 11:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Word.

I miss Toonami simply because I used to be able to set my PVR to weekends and record episodes of Rurouni Kenshin. I mean the dubbing could be better, but it was awesome to see a cartoon channel dedicated timeslots to anime.

I miss it too, I agree that the dubbing could have been better, but at least it did dedicate time-slots to anime.

Fan fact: I didn't know, what Japanese anime was until, I was 20 years old heeee. I thought all the cartons on CN were American made ><. laugh.gif

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 11 September 2009 - 08:59 PM.

#37 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:19 AM

I'm willing to see how this turns out.

Some things I'd like to address:

1) Censorship
Obviously, it will be edited. But Disney, while specializing in more family-oriented entertainment, has made more violent franchises: Pirates of the Carribean, Tarzan, Gargoyles (one episode from this series was banned from tv after its initial airing). Toon Disney also showed Power Rangers (yes, I know that's not exactly mature content, but it had explosions and karate). They're probably trying to expand their demographics to older boys. It probably won't be much different from what Toonami has done.

2) Viz is in charge of the dub
Viz would obviously want to make the core fanbase happy.

3) If you don't like Shippuden, don't complain about where it airs or how it's dubbed
Okay, I really can't make a judgement on Shippuden since I haven't watched it since the Gaara arc. But if you really think it is bad, why complain about how the dub will be done? Shouldn't you spend that energy on a series you actually like?

4) Doesn't Viz Stream subtitled uncut Naruto Shippuden for free?
Then why worry about Disney going after fansubbers when real fans should watch what Viz is offering?

5) Funimation owns FMA2 and One Piece
Viz has the rights to the manga of each series, and the reason they're showing NS is because it's a money maker. That's all there is to it.

That's my two cents. Just wait and see what happens.

#38 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:32 AM

QUOTE (Derock @ Sep 11 2009, 12:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, SyFy (they change the words, still the same channel) don't have anime anymore... not that I recall any of them airing recently.

And if I recall, XD is part of the regular Cable package for cable and satellite providers. I believe majority of people who have families and have either of those type of digital viewing so they will have it.

Hmm SyFy played the rest of Gundam 00 just a little bit ago I thought.

Well Disney XD is on the digital cable for Time Warner, so you have to subscribe extra for it. I think many people are forgetting though that Disney XD (used to be toon disney) plays X-men Evolution, Static shock, plus cartoons and shows for a more general audience. Depending on the time slot, It may only be censored as much as normal american cartoons.

I believe People should give it a chance. I mean come on, this is an opportunity to have anime become more accepted in america and hopefully allow more shows be dubbed and imported. If everyone dismisses it just cause it's on Disney, Viz and Funimation might go the same way that ADV did. which would mean, no more anime for us otaku that happen to enjoy watching anime in our native language.

(Guilty of Watching Bleach in English Only)
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#39 lolaMarie

lolaMarie

M.Phelp's fangirl

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 11 September 2009 - 05:46 AM

As long as Disney doesn't go on some maniacal frenzy with the edits, I think I will be able to stomach it.

.....Who the hell am i kidding, I know im going to just end up buying the box set. Something about it doesn't feel rite. ..

#40 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 01:51 PM

Mannn, I didn't know there was a thread about this. Sorry about it that people. Now!

Let's read your opinions-

What is this. I don't even....I'm going back to TF2. This thread doesn't need trolling. You guys are trolling it as we speak.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users