Wubbzy

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, writing, and dancing

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:52 AM

Hi! 

So, I've been experiencing hardcore writer's block and have a lack of motivation to write anything at all. 

Does anyone have advice on how to get passed this? Any suggestions? 

I usually try to look at fanart or listen to music, but right now I'm just not feeling those options. :/ 

Thanks for anyone who responds! 

Edited by Wubbzy, 25 July 2017 - 07:40 PM.

NaruSaku <3

~

Fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/~wubbzy

~

#2 Merchant Of Blue Death

Merchant Of Blue Death

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

Personally I go back and read the oldest fan fictions I can find. It doesn't have to be related to what I'm writing. Just the 'innocence' of the story, when we knew so little and nothing of the betrayal that would be pulled at the end of the series, is enough to get things going again. For me it's that "I can do better than that" desire after reading a story that was started for a few chapters and then died. I also listen to my music collection and that at times seems to work as well.

What I learned that doesn't work is starting another story. This makes the block that much larger for me, it;s also led to the stopping and demise of "A Boy And His Fox" as well as the slow down of an Evagelion story that was started before my current Naruto/Sakura project. The more stories you start the more pressure the the readers start putting on you to finish what had begun as a way of breaking a writer's block. Just clear your desk, mentally and physically, and step away for a couple of days. I don't know your writing schedule and your word per chapter goal but don't touch and and don't think of your project for a couple of days.

Come back after your break and listen to your music and I found the farther from the the tone of your story the better, I personally listen to Ren Fair singing groups like Merry Wives Of Windsor and the Poxy Boggards to get my mind somewhere far from Konoha or where ever and dive into the FFN library. If I'm lucky my mind starts stringing ideas on the framework I've built for the chapter.

I know it's a little weird sounding but as you know with my works, the further from canon you stray the harder it is to write chapters because at some point you're working without a safety net, and since I shoot for a minimum of 8-10,000 words a chapter I need all things I can find to help. With me the stranger the better. 

#3 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,418 posts
  • Interests:Writing

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 20 July 2017 - 08:28 PM

Hey,  I go through this kinda alot of things especially when it comes to the book I've been writing for the last 3 years most of it due to writer's block thankfully I'm on the third act so it's finally reaching towards the ending. That's the key thing is the ending. I always keep that in mind when I'm writing a story and use that as my motivation to break out of writer's block.  For me whenever I've got alot on my plate be it college, work, family, or youtube it can be kinda challenging to write, and I always get to a point of taking a break and always telling myself to get back to it later which ends up becoming another 2 or 3 months before I jump back onboard to writing again. 

I mean it's different for everyone, but when it comes to the stories I make sure I jot down all my ideas on notebook paper settings, characters, and events in the story that way I've got a rough blueprint on how the story is being told and I always have it sitting out near my desk as like "hey this is telling you to continue writing the book." 

The one I'm writing is a story on three perspective so I make sure I know which songs match the characters that includes background music as well. Which is like my secondary motivation to get me to continues writing. 

Third, I always think about my characters and the journey of their character arc to me that's also a big motivation for me to continue because you want them to see them accomplish their goal in the end. That's something I really take to heart and break out of my writing block's routine. 

Those are my main motivations into what  get out of my writer's block state, hopefully that helps.

8ba875d573fdb80ef2985b4ae933e5df755cd797

WE'RE IN THIS TOGETHER YOU & ME!

#4 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:22 PM

Yo! It's tough to regain that drive and momentum once you lose it, I know the feeling!

The most important thing to remember is to never strive to be perfect in your writing, because it goes hand in hand with the fear of worrying what other's might think or say about your work, which then leads to procrastination. Just do you!! Let your true self shine. Flow all your thoughts out on paper and ignore the rest!

Here's what helps me:

- Sometimes I exercise and and play basketball (or any other sport) for a while that leaves me energized from the inside out, gets my blood pumping. Going out to different places and environments gives me loads of inspiration and new ideas. Talking to friends/family/company clears my mind and revives me, especially after a good talk.

- Instead of looking at art, try doodling out your characters and scenes yourself in your own way. Do any sort of creative work with your hands to keep that imagination going.

- Revisiting your stories helps you remember where you left off after a while. It also helps to revise it and in additional scene while your at it too.

- I like to surround myself in the atmosphere that reflects the scene I'm writing (like if its a fluffy scene, I open the windows and let the light and wind in; for a dark scene, I lower the lights.)

- Free write! It's kinda like warm-up sketches for artists lol. I like to search up writing prompts and random quotes to center my story around. Maybe it could take on a life of it's own, but the main thing is the never stop writing. Keep that momentum going while you can.

- Read other people's work, whether it'd be fanfics or novels or short stories. You'll see new perspectives, writing styles and ideas that you can emulate a little with your own unique style! (Just remember not to plagiarize and to credit others haha)

But sometimes when I'm overwhelmed with college work, daily duties, family life, or just life in general, I have to put it on pause for months. And that's ok!

There are many ways to get those gears going again. And there's no one solution to this. But keep trying! Good luck, I believe in you!!! (*•̀ᴗ•́*)و ̑̑

Edited by lux, 21 July 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#5 Illnevergiveup3

Illnevergiveup3

My Brittney-Chan. The girl I love with all my heart and always w

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Interests:winning the girl I love heart, making it to the NBA and taking care of my family.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:39 AM

I find that watching some of your movies or any movies similar gives me inspiration for the next scene and how to continue smoothly.

Superman_over_earth_500x400.jpg

I wish I could have the powers of Superman so I could save protect the world under God's will.

Always have the spirit and the guts to never ever give up no matter what.

#6 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 21 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hi! 

So, I've been experiencing hardcore writer's block and have a lack of motivation to write anything at all. 

I usually try to look at fanart or listen to music, but right now I'm just not feeling those options. :/ 

I'm going through the exact same thing  :pinch:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

#7 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 23 July 2017 - 12:05 AM

Hi! 

Anything really. Like, it's a corny thing to say, but inspiration can come from anywhere, all you gotta do is just not look for it. I know sometimes when I try to overcome writer's block, I just like to go outside and hang around well wherever and observe things and others. it's not really advice I'm afraid but whatever helps

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#8 Wubbzy

Wubbzy

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Interests:Music, reading, writing, and dancing

Posted 23 July 2017 - 04:42 AM

Thanks so much everyone! I really appreciate all of your responses! I am going to try to use all of your suggestions! I'm going to try outlining the fica I haven't yet, and I'm planning to go play basketball again so I can clear my mind too! Hopefully that helps haha. I'll most likely be going through everyones suggestions if these don't work.

Especially the not starting a new story advice. I admit I have been extremely guilty of this recently. I will stop and focus on my chaptered fics so hopefully they can get finished sooner or later haha.

Thanks again everyone!

I'm going through the exact same thing  :pinch:

Yeah, it's a real bummer. :/ I'm going to be busy really soon so I wanted to write while I had the free time, but alas, it has not been my week haha.

NaruSaku <3

~

Fanfiction: https://www.fanfiction.net/~wubbzy

~

#9 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

Yeah, it's a real bummer. :/ I'm going to be busy really soon so I wanted to write while I had the free time, but alas, it has not been my week haha.

That really is a bummer. I think you will get into the groove.

Me, I approaching my deadline fore season 2 of my web novel and I'm no where near half completed  :bash:

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

#10 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 02 August 2017 - 03:20 PM

- I simply skip to the next scene. Then, once that scene is fleshed out, I have a better idea of what I need to do with the preceding scene and it's much easier. 

- I also might just stop writing for a week, have some notebook paper on me at all times and then just draft/outline out what I want any time a thought comes to me.

-Listening to music that fits the tone of your scenes help big time!

Edited by ThroughWithLove, 02 August 2017 - 03:22 PM.

Posted Image

Behold! Akame ga Kill's True Canon Pairing!

#11 Khaleesi

Khaleesi

Mother of dragons

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,237 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

I don't(?)

Okay but on a serious note, I wouldn't know so much about this as for my "blocks" come from pure lazyness. But I guess watching/reading some other authors creations can help you feel inspired. Also, remember to take breaks from writting or you'll grown bored of what you do and your product will be dull.

dumbo-pink-elephants-on-parade1.gif?w=50

queen-harley.tumblr.com

#12 Wyle23

Wyle23

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Interests:Writing and reading fanfiction.

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:42 AM

I generally don't write while sober, so I highly doubt I can help much. lol. Though I'd say just wait for inspiration to strike. Sometimes it just comes to ya. Just know that your mileage may vary. Every time.

Oh, and reading related fics, however slight the similarities. Like, if it's an NS fic you're writin', try reading other fics involving the pairing that you like/really like. That one has actually worked for me a few times. Pictures/artwork can also be of use. High quality stuff especially helps.

Whatever you find works for you, really, as everyone is different.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: narusaku, writing, writers block, bleh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users