#1 Torxe

Torxe

World's greatest critic <boragnarok>

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Games, PC, fora, terraria, Bo-karate, meditation

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:35 PM

Just out of curiosity, how come there are no adds on this site. Just to make sure I'm not complaining

but I read somewhere on this forum that this board is running on a raid 5. And unless you have at least 3 spare hard drives with which you don't know what to do with it. You need some money most of the other forums resolve this by placing adds on the board. (I guess).

Srr if this sounds rude, just me beeing curious

Edited by Torxe, 23 February 2011 - 02:37 PM.

In support of the Sakura we once knew:

Sakura-killing-hinata-naruto-shippuuden-

#2 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:53 PM

Because advertisement = costing bandwidth for the site. It will definitely make the forums slow.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#3 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

well, that makes sense in one way but the question about how the whole thing is funded then remains. Is there some way you can donate or smthng (also noticed the prizes for the valentine day contest)

#4 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 23 February 2011 - 05:20 PM

There are no ads on this forum because Smiter foots the bill so that we don't have to have ads. We are however steadfastly working on upgrading H&E. And we were actually planning on creating a thread where we ask our members if they would be willing to donate to the forum, once we install all the new upgrades. Upgrades include a brand-spanking-new forum, streamlined and modern. Mobile access to H&E. And the return of LiveChat. And of course, we'll continue to not have ads on the site, as no one likes to see junk clogging up the forum like that. All of this will of course cost money. So as I said we are planning on creating a forum/topic where we give full details of all the new upgrades we are planning on rolling out for H&E. And we'll have a discussion with all of you about helping us out with costs by donating, so that we can continue to have Heaven and Earth being the premier site for all things NaruSaku happy.gif

#5 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:47 AM

So basically there is a chance of Heaven and Earth becoming a Free and Full member kind of forum?
According to by which means and on what period there needs to be paid => I'm interested. One time donations to ofcourse.

And looking forward to the upgrades

and ofcourse a huge thanks to smiter for taking care of the bills, you're the man.

#6 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:01 PM

QUOTE (Torxe @ Feb 24 2011, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So basically there is a chance of Heaven and Earth becoming a Free and Full member kind of forum?
According to by which means and on what period there needs to be paid => I'm interested. One time donations to ofcourse.

And looking forward to the upgrades

and ofcourse a huge thanks to smiter for taking care of the bills, you're the man.

I don't think there is a need for a 'free-and-full member' system. It's not like we're offering any 'services' that would require such a thing.

#7 theorangehokage

theorangehokage

--

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:34 PM

@Sakura: No way!!! a_spaz.gif !! Livechat!! Tht would be amazing!!!!

---

#8 cnving101

cnving101

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:38 PM

QUOTE (theorangehokage @ Feb 24 2011, 03:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That sounds so awesome! biggrin.gif

#9 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (theorangehokage @ Feb 24 2011, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We used to have it, but people wouldn't use it, so the admins had to shut it down because it's expensive.

Edited by Cupcake-chan, 25 February 2011 - 12:08 AM.

#10 theorangehokage

theorangehokage

--

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:11 AM

Oh.. but omg! if LiveChat came, i would be on it !!!! hhahaa biggrin.gif! admins plzz keepp this on! i dont care how much i gotta dontate ( i'll be happy to) , its better than going PM and filling up my inbox every like 10mins... and ya, i PM ALOTT! hahaa

---

#11 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Feb 24 2011, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't think there is a need for a 'free-and-full member' system. It's not like we're offering any 'services' that would require such a thing.

It was a suggestion that I based on the mobile access feature. But if it's not going to be such a member system, all the better.
Don't exactly hold my breath on the coming of a live-chat forum does the trick for me

#12 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 10:53 PM

Kudos to Smiter for footing the bill on his budget. But if LiveChat were to come back, I'd give donations. We need a chatroom back.

.......... But then I can already see the cons.

#13 theorangehokage

theorangehokage

--

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

Truee Cloud... but wait. is it a public chat room or like private? EX: will i be able to talk to you in a private session?

IMO, as far as chatting,Messaging,PM,Notifactions,etc.. I think it should be like facebook.

(STATUS BAR: the onbe at the bottom, the one that the arrow is pointing to. its the whole bottom thing.

Notifications./ --Click here to view--

Notification part 2 --Click here to view--

I think that would make this site the best. i use PMin' ALOTT, so my inbox is full almost instantly. I think if Chat came, it would help me and even more ppl. Notifications, this would be nice, a similiar notification system would be awesome. i say this because like, okay i got the perfect example.

Notification EX: Okay, so lets say im reading this post, after i respond in a fun cafe thread. how would i know if someone posted. i would have to goto "View New Post".. it is sorta hard to go back and forth like that... sometimes irritatin because of the 20seconds wait.... ALSO, if it could tell you if a user went offline, that would be AMAZING! i talk to alot of users on here thru PM, and sometimes i send a msg, and they dont respond. so im chillin' for like 30mins without response ,to find out 10mins later on homepage that the users name isnt there... yeahh, it gets annoyin a bit.

Sorry if that sound a bit mean ):

BUT IMO, these two features would be BEAST on here. it would rock all other sites... cool.gif

Edited by theorangehokage, 25 February 2011 - 11:16 PM.

---

#14 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

I agree with the features that orangehokage mentioned. I still haven't quite figured out how the subscribing on a thread works and therefore use the view new posts a lot.

#15 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:12 PM

Telling us what you want feature-wise really doesn't make any difference. It's not like we can pick and choose or create certain features that people want. You can google Addon LiveChat to find out what features it comes with, and then either be satisfied or not with what it offers. It does what it's supposed to. Provide people with a way to instantly communicate with each other. That in itself is the most important feature you need.

#16 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

Srr, thought you made everything from scratch. But then tbh I wouldn't even have an idea about how to start making a live chat over a web browser. Only chats I ever made were made with Java, C++ and labview. And this between 2 PC's directly connected by a ethernet cable. (Blanking on the correct term)

#17 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:38 PM

Well, I suppose the cat is out of the bag now. tongue.gif

Yes, we are working on a new version of Heaven & Earth. It's still in the very early stages, and I'm working on it in my spare time. At the moment, we're still in the planning stages and we need to pin down exactly what features it will have.

Of course, we can pretty much confirm:
  • The return of Live Chat.
  • A streamlined skin for mobile phones (e.g. iPhone, iPod, Android, Windows Mobile).
  • Updated versions of the board and gallery software.
  • A redesign for the Fanfiction Library, as it is not possible to update the current Library.
  • A new look.

As all the big and small changes may add up to a different H&E than you're used to, we plan to launch an open-beta for everyone to try out and give us feedback. Bear in mind, though, that may not be for a couple of months or so. happy.gif; It really depends on how things go, and how much spare time we can all find to work on it.

But I can promise this; we will never force a redesign that nobody likes. We will not launch a half-baked upgrade. We may not be a professional website team, but we will make the new H&E as good as we possibly can. After all, it's our baby. happy.gif

And no problem with the bills. smile.gif Nick Soapdish has been helping with the costs, so thanks should go to him as well, and hokuten is also hoping to contribute towards future costs. We certainly won't be going for a subscription/paid membership, but we're definitely considering allowing donations after the upgrade is done.

#18 theorangehokage

theorangehokage

--

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

OMG! Smiter!!! That sounds awesomee!! a_spaz.gif ! My countdown clock is on tongue.gif lol.. I cant wait!!!!

---

#19 Torxe

Torxe

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,173 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 07:03 AM

thx Nick Soapdish, hokuten and smiter.

Try to keep some time for yourselves to, I know how many trial and error occurs when writing code, so take your time we can wait.
(not for the next chapters/episodes of Naruto but guess we have to complain with Kishi for that)

Keep up the good work and good luck with the upgrades

#20 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 05 March 2011 - 06:01 AM

Since this issue is resolved, we should close this topic. happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users