• This topic is locked This topic is locked
34 replies to this topic

#1 Zatren6

Zatren6

y

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Hockey, Drawing (even though I suck something awful), Photography, Video Games, etc.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 03:40 AM

Spice and Wolf is an amazing anime that True graciously recommended to me, and it has stunned me with the amazing characters.

The setting of the anime is in the age of castles and kings - it tells the story of the merchant, Lawrence, and his trading experiences and adventures after finding and teaming up with the seemingly mythical Horo, the wise wolf. The character development that follows is simply spectacular, and the series centers around it. It also has a very interesting story, and even some economic concepts mixed in.

Spice and Wolf is a mature anime with respect to Horo and Lawrence's relationship, and has some witty humor and economic concepts that may take a minute to understand. Certainly, Spice and Wolf is not for the casual viewer seeking silly humor, but watchers looking for a nicely paced anime with amazing characters.

The second season is due for July of this year.

Links:

Edited by Zatren6, 20 February 2009 - 08:44 PM.

#2 Denim88

Denim88

I have my moments, believe it or not.

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Hm, interests...well, I was one of those crazy nuts that knew all the pokemon back when that was the big thing...still do know them all (cough). I happen to be a very strong supporter of NarutoxSakura pairing. I really enjoy wildlife and the outdoors. I'm a gamer I guess...yeah, okay, I am. Let's see, what else could I put down...um, I love reading, writing, and biking too. Comedy movies are the best...um yeah. Kind of a weak interests section, but whatever.<br /><br />Ah, yes, I guess I should mention that my stories are also able to be viewed on fanfiction.net. You can find me under the name Denim88 on there too.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:14 AM

Zat's couldn't have hit the nail on the door better. Spice and Wolf is probably one of the greater short anime series I've watched. It hold both a realistic as well as fantasy-like element to it. That's what makes it so great; it's almost like it's just a normal story about some merchant, yet with Horo, the element of fantasy is added, and that's what set it apart from others.

If I could say one thing to describe this anime to possible viewers, it would be this: Original. It's not about swords, magic (well, there's magic, but not like a lot of the anime we see). It actually holds some educational elements to it, and for those of you who are familiar with the way simple economics work, I'm sure you'll love this. Even history lovers may find a place in their hearts for this charming series.

If that doesn't buy you into it, Horo is by far one of the most adorable female characters I've ever seen.

You cannot resist the kawaii!!!!

Gimme a break, 'kay?

Denim88's fanfiction page!!!

#3 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 20 February 2009 - 04:16 AM

As Zatren said it isn't for your casual anime watcher as it takes a decent amount of intelligence to understand. Its not recommended for those who have a short attention span and expect "EPIC" scenes. It's generally a good overall series with a little bit of everything mixed in it

I can't say anymore than I already have in my review in this post. Or just click the spoiler down here to read my thoughts on the series.
Spice and Wolf:

The series is a great mix of adventure, comedy, fantasy, romance, and interestingly economics. While it isn’t anything complex it does involve basics such as bartering, currency, trade, and a general gist of medieval economics that does take some thinking on the viewer’s part to understand.

Animation: 8

For the most part when it came to focus on Lawrence or Horo it was top notch quality. It did well to display the medieval setting and set the atmosphere but there were just certain instances where the backgrounds felt off or little tidbits of the scenery, but I guess that’s understandable considering the conservative budget the studio was dealing with. Nothing that took away from the series as a whole, but generally could have been better at some parts.

Music: 9

Nothing else to say except that it’s simply fantastic and very fitting. The Opening fits perfectly and is stunning as it captivates you with its vocal rhythm. All around the music was included to set the mood and played at exactly the right times that it blended in perfectly with the anime. The OST for Spice & Wolf is on par with the likes of Gundam, Evangelion, Baccano! (Done by the same studio), and Rurouni Kenshin which all had the greatest OSTs I’ve ever heard.

Voice acting: 10

The seiyuu’s for this anime are ironically those who did Lelouche and Kallen from Code Geass, so I’d definitely expected nothing short of excellence on their part and indeed they both delivered. They fit the role of their characters perfectly and portrayed them to the best of their respective designs. Everything felt right and matched accurately. Jun Fukuyama is easily my favorite male seiyuu ever.

Characters: 9

The main focus is of course the male and female leads that are the prime aspecct of the anime. They both are wonderful characters and really stand out making the anime very compelling to watch.

Craft Lawrence is a superb male lead who is mature, intelligent, wise, clever, kind, gentle, and overall well designed. He is goal orientated and through his travels continues to gain experience and build upon the knowledge of trading. I like his demeanor and attitude that fit well for his personality and his development is well constructed as he goes through many challenges and expenditures.

Horo, the great wolf sage is herself a very unique character and one that sets herself apart from other female leads in other series. She also shares similar traits with Lawrence of being cunning, intelligent, and wise when it comes to dealing with aspects of trade, but she also has her respective feminine charm which in its own right makes for her greatest appeal and makes you really enjoy watching her antics. The amount of fanart for Horo is incredible and my folder of 300 pictures is still tiny compared to how much there is.

The way the two act around one another is very distinctive and sets itself apart from other couples in anime. What I found most enjoyable was that it isn't your typical emo angst high school love. Lawrence is very mature and he behaves accordingly and realistically when it comes to dealing with Horo, and she herself is playful around him most of the time. But what holds strong is their growing connection with one another as they help each other both in good and bad times. When Horo helps Lawrence in trade when they devise a scheme and he is impressed with her knowledge, or when Lawerence comforts Horo when she is feeling down and does his best to look out for her.

They both have two opposite characteristics that come together and conjoin to form a well rounded relationship. Lawrence who is a young merchant knows much about the world yet is still in the process of gaining more experience gets aid from Horo who has centuries worth of knowledge yet knows little about the world since she has been confined to one place for so long. They can both bounce off one another and in nearly every scene it makes for something fun and interesting to watch. They're ever growing romantic relationship is smooth and unforced, feeling natural as it develops over the course of their journey.

Story: 7

For the most part the story isn’t as important as is the character dialogue and interaction, which is the main focus of the series. Horo and Lawrence's banter was what kept the show so interesting and worth watching. I thoroughly enjoyed watching them speak with one another whether it was about trade, philosophies, or romantic tension. As noted earlier the economics isn’t very complex but the different schemes that take place does require the viewer to pay close attention to detail and not for those who have short attention spans. I myself had to replay certain scenes to get a full grasp of the socio-economic aspects that were conspired. The anime of course was very faithful to the novels but with such a tight constraint of only 13 episodes a lot of the finer details felt ‘crunched’ and that took away from the anime.

Yet, generally the main focus came across well played and the viewer could understand what the dealings were and how they affected the characters. The feelings were well played whenever Lawrence struck a deal for his benefit or loss. You could feel his joy when it was something for his advantage and his devastation when he became bankrupt. While the plot was interesting the character interaction was indeed the highlight of the show. Lawerence and Horo bounced so well off one another and shared a wonderful dynamic that continued to build and improve itself as the series progressed from start to finish.

Overall: 7.5/10

Despite the series having little qualms for the most part, I'd say it was the fact that it was such a short anime that it felt rather incomplete. The plot was decent and the economics aspect was interesting but nothing that captivated you and kept engrossed. I myself as an economics major did find it enjoyable and quite unique but that wasn't what drew me to the series. Rather it was the relationship of Lawrence and Horo that was the single best facet of the anime. The way the two of them interacted while doing trades, getting away from trouble, or simply traveling on the wagon made every instance something to look forward to. The romantic relationship was great as they worked together and better understood each other over the course of the anime. It is best said that it isn't the destination of a journey that is important, but rather the journey itself which is the better part.

I greatly anticipate season 2 of the anime in July as it covers novels three and four. I'd hope to see it become longer than 13 episodes so it doesn't feel as if the story is squished, but as long as we have the same Lawrence and Horo connection I should enjoy it none the less.

Also the OP is simply a beautiful piece and I have to say is my favorite OP of an anime from 2008 next to Ash like Snow from Gundam 00. It really captures everything about the series and gives you a good feel of what to expect.

The OP is one of my absolutely favorites and always sounds amazing to the ears.

And lastly.....

Horo <333333

#4 Jwolf0

Jwolf0

Gotta catch 'em all!

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:Seasonal sports fan. Adept at pulling defeat from the jaws of victory. Sadly allows RL to interfere with gaming and anime stuffs.

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:47 PM

Huh, I always thought it was Wolf and Spice. Then again, I've only read the scans (only 6? Really? sad.gif ). The panels where Horo first stretches and howls.... nosebleed8rx.gif

Pretty much second everything in True's review. If/when a second season comes out (or more scans!) I'll be all over them.
QUOTE ("Down Goes Brown")
(For the younger readers, "HMV" and "Sam The Record Man" were record stores.)

(For the younger readers, a "record store" was a building that you had to go to when you wanted to buy music.)

(For the younger readers, "buying music" was the way we acquired it, since we couldn't just… you know what, let's just get back to the Bowen song. Stupid kids, you ruin everything.)

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Or Reaper! Or Zombie Killer... or something. Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN!

#5 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:00 AM

The ED music is totally catchy.

Finished watching Season 1... not too bad. Of course, I'm sitting there going 'duuuude, just say you like her already, even if she is a wolf, she obviously digs you.'

But I know they have to drag it out, for obvious story reasons.

Edited by Paradox Jast, 21 February 2009 - 10:11 AM.

#6 Dr. Crow

Dr. Crow

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Reading manga and comics, watching tv, sleeping, watching pretty women, and I'm sure theres more.

Posted 09 April 2009 - 06:39 AM

I read this when it first came to Onemanga but I haven't seen the anime yet I been waiting for the 7th Chapter but it's been over a year since six was translated. I hope it comes out soon I rally like what I read so far.

#7 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 07:40 AM

Direct Link by yours truly: [BSS]_Spice_and_Wolf_II_-_00_[9FA88166].mkv

YAY FOR OVA! Will watch when I get up since I'm too tired right now and should go to sleep. Enjoy delicious Horo.

#8 peanutbutter126

peanutbutter126

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 646 posts
  • Interests:Writing fanfiction, ignoring homework, eating, sleeping, being a pig

Posted 02 May 2009 - 09:24 AM

I watched two episodes of the anime tonight. It's pretty nice and I quite enjoy the character development. I think I'll keep watching when I have the time. happy.gif

I'm sort of glad they didn't make Horo particularly well-endowed, otherwise the first episode would have been filled with nosebleeds tongue.gif

#9 Denim88

Denim88

I have my moments, believe it or not.

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Hm, interests...well, I was one of those crazy nuts that knew all the pokemon back when that was the big thing...still do know them all (cough). I happen to be a very strong supporter of NarutoxSakura pairing. I really enjoy wildlife and the outdoors. I'm a gamer I guess...yeah, okay, I am. Let's see, what else could I put down...um, I love reading, writing, and biking too. Comedy movies are the best...um yeah. Kind of a weak interests section, but whatever.<br /><br />Ah, yes, I guess I should mention that my stories are also able to be viewed on fanfiction.net. You can find me under the name Denim88 on there too.

Posted 03 May 2009 - 07:52 AM

The only complaint I have is that it was a shorter OVA than I wished for. Still, I liked it. Shows the development of Horo and Lawrence's friendship (or something more) is only growing stronger. I'm really interested in seeing the future episodes of the series. Still, the OVA was good, short, but sweet.

There are strong implications that Horo has feelings for Lawrence too. I'm guessing that he feels something for her too, but might be hiding it better. Either way, definitely a good OVA for those who enjoy something lighthearted. Not to mention there's a lesson in health! wow.png

Gimme a break, 'kay?

Denim88's fanfiction page!!!

#10 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 04 May 2009 - 03:27 AM

That was really short, it wasn't even 30 minutes. sad.gif

I thought it was a nice affirmation of their friendship/semi-romance, and shows that Horo is a bit jealous. Other than that... it was just kinda, well... blah.

#11 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 22 May 2009 - 12:47 AM

Don't know if anyone cares, but chapter 7 was just scanlated.

Chapter 7

#12 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 23 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

QUOTE ("Funimation Acquires Spice and Wolf Fantasy Anime")
The North American anime distributor Funimation is announcing on Saturday at Anime Boston that it has acquired the license for the first season of the Spice and Wolf anime series. The anime adapts Isuna Hasekura and Jū Ayakura's acclaimed light novel series that avoids the usual sword-and-sorcery trappings of fantasy stories and focuses on how business (and religion) gets done in a medieval world — with a wolf girl. Jun Fukuyama and Ami Koshimizu play the peddler Lawrence and the wolf girl Holo, two unlikely companions who embark on a journey together. IMAGIN produced the animation, and Kadokawa Pictures USA handled the distribution arrangements.

A second anime season, Spice and Wolf II, will premiere in Japan this July. Yen Press acquired the original light novels and Keito Koume's manga adaptation for English translation.

Sauceee

Oh God yes!!! It's about damn time it got licensed here in the U.S. biggrin.gif

I only hope it has a good English seyiuus on par with Fukuyama and Koshimizu...

#13 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:10 PM

I just read the manga and liked it. biggrin.gif Hopefully the anime will be released here in the UK soon, it looks like it could be worth picking up. happy.gif

#14 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 03:20 AM

S&W Season 2 Promo Trailer --Click here to view--

The second season starts on July 8th and it's being subbed by BSS. Can't wait for it!

#15 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:11 PM

Bumpin' for great justice.

BSS should be out sometime later.
Episode 1 Spoilers --Click here to view--
So far a good start to a much anticipated season 2. It set up a good introduction for some new characters as well as giving a nice amount of flashbacks to give a nice understanding of what happened last season without making the entire episode a recap. Also, the atmosphere is as perfect as ever and just gives off a nice "old times" feel with the setting and music. And the relationship with Horo/Lawrence looks stronger than before! It seems that they've rather become more comfortable (well more so with Lawrence since Horo never had a problem with it in the first place) around one another and even get a sort of lovey-dovey feel from the two of them.

However, it looks like a couple issues also were brought up at the end with the age difference between the two as how Horo is immortal and Lawrence is a human, so the trip to Yohitsu might be hard to make for him. Also, when Lawrence was alone it seems as if something may have happened to Yohitsu during that one flashback scene with boy asking him mother about what happened to it. I see something later on might play in and it could heavily impact the storyline.

Overall, this episode was simply splendid. Two enjoyable characters, great setting, and and more economics for the summer! Can't wait for episode 2!

Though the new OP isn't as nice as the first one, I still like it and it fits well. The ED is actually a lot nicer than last season, but it lacks that quirky feel. Either way though they're still good!

#16 Ani

Ani

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

I think I like both the opening and endings better this time around, too. The ending song is just so good. I mean I liked last season's songs. I just prefer these, I guess.

And true, you got anymore direct download avi style for the rest of the episodes out? I would like them, please. smile.gif

#17 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:18 PM

Here you go Ani. DDL for Episode 2-4 in .avi format! biggrin.gif

And episode 3 was easily my favorite so far. The ending was just spectacular!

#18 Ani

Ani

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:31 PM

Thank ye kindly. :3

And update those from now on, will ya. biggrin.gif

EDIT: The singles are out~

#19 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:48 AM

OMG finally! I've been waiting for the singles to be out! Thanks for the link Ani! biggrin.gif

#20 Ani

Ani

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,058 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:19 AM

Anytime. happy.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users