• Please log in to reply
355 replies to this topic

#61 Shadow Wolf

Shadow Wolf

Keeping the promise

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, NaruSaku, Guilty Gear, Blazblue, Love Hina, Full Metal Panic!, The Legend of Zelda, League of Legends, videogames and anime in general.

Posted 12 June 2013 - 05:17 PM

Hmm... it seems things are getting tense once more... (yeah, feel free to call me captain obvious :lol: :lol: :lol:) But being serious here, there is one particular thing which has left me worried ever since the thread before the Q&A thread was opened.

Some people have been developing lately a negative perception of every kind of person who supports NH/SS (by this I mean sarcasm and senseless bashing, which differs from constructive criticism), and they're trying to justify their reasons behind it (they trolled.... their pairing doesn't make sense... most of them bash towards us/our character/our pairing... and so on). To me, that's just no different than what what the bad apples from the other pairing are doing (and keep in mind that I use the term bad apples here because it is thanks to one or two people who support the other pairing that some of the people here have developed this kind of perception for them). Because of this, some people make jokes about the other pairing/fans because "they are jokes".

But one thing to keep in mind is that these kind of jokes may not be too different that racist/sexist jokes: someone will feel bad about it and may retaliate.

So if anything, one should be prudent when posting comments. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but you have to keep in mind that your comments might affect the overall reaction of a discussion. The evidence is in the chapter threads: someone posts a wall of text, and you quickly see people supporting it. It can be a good post, or it can be a bad post, and this, in turn, affects the whole discussion. And as far as I've seen, the mods have shown us how to post good comments without resorting to joking or insulting the other fanbases.

Another thing which I have noticed a lot lately is how some members visit other places and then return to bring the negativity they saw in those places. I know that we want to encourage discussion, but it can be frustrating when a thread is going fine, and the suddenly someone return saying that they want to insult other fanbases because of some random comments that one guy made in another site (I get the chills for saying this, but I predict that someone will sooner or later return from another place to say: "Oh look, now the other fandoms are saying that Tsunade will die because of Sakura and chapter 634 proves it" or something like that and then people wil start replying to it).

To make matters worse, the discussion suddenly shifts both in mood and in post quality to reflect this very post, encouraging the bashing of the other fandoms even more.

And finally, and this is my own opinion: I feel like the members here are starting to lose respect for each other. They "challenge" each other's statements, make subtle jokes about judging them and the thing which I find it happening more frequently than ever, is that they jump to conclusions regarding each other's opinions (e.g. A-I don't mind Sakura healing in 634 B-Ah, so you admit that Sakura is useless.). This in turn, creates a negative mood the affects the responses of others and somehow snowballs bit by bit until the mods step up again or, until everything turns into chaos.

So what's the result? What's happening at the moment.

To conclude: To be honest, every time I make posts like these, I feel three things:

1-Fear: Because even though I have an intense desire to help, words on the internet can be taken in any way. "The concerned Heaven and Earth" is evidence of this, where some people took it OK, and where others did not. "What if I only make matters worse?" "What if people bend my words to accuse other members/mods?" I still feel griped about the pressure tricksie had to face and the anger Sakura Blossoms had at that time, and I don't want something like that to happen again.

2-Sorrow: To see how things have been getting better-worse-better-worse... it takes a toll because we want to do something about it. Issues are addressed, things calm down for a while, and then it happens again.

3-Powelessness: This has nothing to do with position, but rather with what can I do to help and if I'm helping at all. To be honest, ever since quite some time ago, I have felt this way. No matter what I try to help, I feel like I'm not doing anything.

But I don't want this to be about how I feel. What I truly want to do is to find a way to address the community and say what I believe needs to be improved without them taking it as an offense or anything. And this is very difficult to do considering that the line between constructive criticism and bashing is very thin and considering that we can't expect our responses to be taken in a positive way (who likes to be told "you might want to correct that"? Most of the time, we take this as scolding and even insulting).

So I ask: what can I do then?

Edited by Shadow Wolf, 12 June 2013 - 05:57 PM.

#62 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 13 June 2013 - 01:27 AM

There also seems to be this fine line between bashing and criticism, but one step at a time I guess. I have a hard time seeing it myself at times because sometimes what I see as criticism, others take as bashing. So it is hard to want to say in a nice, calm, manner only to be accused of being a troll or worse. Like would the post I am writing now is considered bashing or criticism? I see it as criticism, but others see it as bashing. So you can see where confusion may occur. I am not sure if the problem is the communication itself or even because some are being overly sensitive to their own faults. Whatever the case may be, it is a problem that occurs.

No offense, Nate, but sometimes the lines keep being redrawn on a moment by moment basis and it is hard to keep track. Because of these rule changes on a moment by moment basis, you can see where miscommunication might occur. Especially at moments where you tend to crack down on a rule rather hard while other times it tends to be more lenient. I am aware of the process that might be involved in certain situations, but again where are the lines drawn and how far do you take it? (rhetorical, no need to answer this one)

There can be a fine line between bashing and criticism, but there are at least four issues with that.

First, not everybody agrees on exactly where that line is. So that's where us mods come in. We don't necessarily agree on where the line is either, but when posts start tiptoeing up to the line, we start posting in the thread, asking people to ease back.

Second, most people don't read the entire thread. They just jump in with their comments. So maybe they've missed the warning and just keep on truckin'.

Third, mods are human. If there are a lot of posts that go over the line and we've made repeated warnings and then there's one that tiptoes right up to it, they might also get caught up. That also goes the other way. I can't speak for my fellow mods, but sometimes a topic is going so badly that I'm inclined to give a poster a break for merely calling other fans delusional instead of tards or something. And we aren't a hive mind so sometimes it takes us a while to decide on how to handle an issue.

Finally, we try not to be a visible presence (except when making announcements like moving to 2.0). If we posted a warning post right after your post which seemed pretty harmless compared to what was before, we weren't necessarily singling you out. Even if you got a warning in a PM later. Other posters may have gotten warnings as well. And no, we can't tell you who. It kinda defeats the purpose of the P in the PM.

#63 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 26 June 2013 - 12:52 AM

Hmm... it seems things are getting tense once more... (yeah, feel free to call me captain obvious :lol: :lol: :lol:) But being serious here, there is one particular thing which has left me worried ever since the thread before the Q&A thread was opened.

Some people have been developing lately a negative perception of every kind of person who supports NH/SS (by this I mean sarcasm and senseless bashing, which differs from constructive criticism), and they're trying to justify their reasons behind it (they trolled.... their pairing doesn't make sense... most of them bash towards us/our character/our pairing... and so on). To me, that's just no different than what what the bad apples from the other pairing are doing (and keep in mind that I use the term bad apples here because it is thanks to one or two people who support the other pairing that some of the people here have developed this kind of perception for them). Because of this, some people make jokes about the other pairing/fans because "they are jokes".

But one thing to keep in mind is that these kind of jokes may not be too different that racist/sexist jokes: someone will feel bad about it and may retaliate.

So if anything, one should be prudent when posting comments. Yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but you have to keep in mind that your comments might affect the overall reaction of a discussion. The evidence is in the chapter threads: someone posts a wall of text, and you quickly see people supporting it. It can be a good post, or it can be a bad post, and this, in turn, affects the whole discussion. And as far as I've seen, the mods have shown us how to post good comments without resorting to joking or insulting the other fanbases.

Another thing which I have noticed a lot lately is how some members visit other places and then return to bring the negativity they saw in those places. I know that we want to encourage discussion, but it can be frustrating when a thread is going fine, and the suddenly someone return saying that they want to insult other fanbases because of some random comments that one guy made in another site (I get the chills for saying this, but I predict that someone will sooner or later return from another place to say: "Oh look, now the other fandoms are saying that Tsunade will die because of Sakura and chapter 634 proves it" or something like that and then people wil start replying to it).

To make matters worse, the discussion suddenly shifts both in mood and in post quality to reflect this very post, encouraging the bashing of the other fandoms even more.

And finally, and this is my own opinion: I feel like the members here are starting to lose respect for each other. They "challenge" each other's statements, make subtle jokes about judging them and the thing which I find it happening more frequently than ever, is that they jump to conclusions regarding each other's opinions (e.g. A-I don't mind Sakura healing in 634 B-Ah, so you admit that Sakura is useless.). This in turn, creates a negative mood the affects the responses of others and somehow snowballs bit by bit until the mods step up again or, until everything turns into chaos.

So what's the result? What's happening at the moment.

To conclude: To be honest, every time I make posts like these, I feel three things:

1-Fear: Because even though I have an intense desire to help, words on the internet can be taken in any way. "The concerned Heaven and Earth" is evidence of this, where some people took it OK, and where others did not. "What if I only make matters worse?" "What if people bend my words to accuse other members/mods?" I still feel griped about the pressure tricksie had to face and the anger Sakura Blossoms had at that time, and I don't want something like that to happen again.

2-Sorrow: To see how things have been getting better-worse-better-worse... it takes a toll because we want to do something about it. Issues are addressed, things calm down for a while, and then it happens again.

3-Powelessness: This has nothing to do with position, but rather with what can I do to help and if I'm helping at all. To be honest, ever since quite some time ago, I have felt this way. No matter what I try to help, I feel like I'm not doing anything.

But I don't want this to be about how I feel. What I truly want to do is to find a way to address the community and say what I believe needs to be improved without them taking it as an offense or anything. And this is very difficult to do considering that the line between constructive criticism and bashing is very thin and considering that we can't expect our responses to be taken in a positive way (who likes to be told "you might want to correct that"? Most of the time, we take this as scolding and even insulting).

So I ask: what can I do then?

I tried to prevent that, it happens most of the time when a chapter thread launchs, when the thread opens it's just a matter of time that people bring third party opinions for other fandoms and comments on about videologgers who do make the review.

What bothers me is that always that when a chapter comes people feel the need to post NH/SS comments on the chapter or just make uses it as a reference.

The users are guilty of this too but also the mods who doesnt take any proper action.

I also dont feel the rules clear enough.

It's forbidden to keep posting with colour text example, but there's an user who keeps abusing of this tool( or why the heck cant use coloured text anyway )and doesnt get a warning i remember that i got an warning because i was writing in blue three months ago i think.

I feel that the mods sometimes doesnt enforce and there's an huge double standards, i'm tired of reporting peopel who brings NH/SS comments or post videos of vloggers like VJ, sawyer and etc... and nothing happen, which do not add anything to debate and mislead the topic and sometimes lead to bashing.

Like "wow did you saw that VJ said that Hinata was going to get on the middle of Naruto and Sasuke fight" which is the type of commentary that obviously lead to bashing.

The downside of it is the so called "molding content".

Personally i dont know, the good side is that prevent the website of becoming an Naruto forum but i'm against molding content.

Edited by Dαrkrєrsŧ, 26 June 2013 - 01:04 AM.

SK-303_image007.jpg

#64 Jake

Jake

Elite Teacher

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 06:09 AM

I was just checking my Settings, and under Email & Password where is shows my current password it is blank and I was just wondering Is that normal or do I have to do something about it before I sign out?

HampESig_zpsfc7d2080.jpg

#65 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 22 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

Yes, it's normal as you need to type in your current password to confirm when you want to change it.  :happy:

#66 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:04 PM

I'm sure this is something that has been asked before, but how do you go about getting pictures for profile and signature? I seriously can't figure out how to do it at all.

#67 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:04 PM

I'm sure this is something that has been asked before, but how do you go about getting pictures for profile and signature? I seriously can't figure out how to do it at all.

Hello! I would be happy to explain how to get photos for your profile and signature.

If this is too simple, sorry, I just didn't want to leave anything out!

Ok step one!

Instructions

I hope this helped!

tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#68 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

Your guidelines are really great and helpful, but I can't figure out how to upload on photobucket, I made an account and found a picture, but I can't figure out where to go from there so I can use it. The site seems somewhat modified from the tutorial so I'm feeling a little lost. :ermm:

Edit: Looks like I figured out how to do the profile picture, now the signature. I'm still not entirely sure how to do the URL thing :sweatdrop: . I'm such a technology retard sometimes.

Edit 2: Ugh, finally figured it all out. Your instructions were absolutely invaluable thank you so much.

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 11 September 2013 - 06:47 PM.

#69 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:51 PM

Hey no problem! I'm glad that you figured it out! :) 

I had to have a friend talk me through all of this way back in the day on Gaia. We all start somewhere!

tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

#70 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 19 October 2013 - 07:46 PM

Okay, so I have another question. I was trying to attach a URL to my signature, but it keeps telling me there is an error and that only three lines of text are allowed, but it would only have been two. What am I doing wrong?

#71 SkiesEagle

SkiesEagle

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing and reading fanfiction :P

Posted 20 October 2013 - 04:00 AM

Hi, I need help. I tried to post my drawing in my signature but it doesn't work when I tried to copy a link embed from DA. What can I do?

Kweh!~
Chocobos
chocobo narusaku2

#72 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 07:40 AM

Hi, I need help. I tried to post my drawing in my signature but it doesn't work when I tried to copy a link embed from DA. What can I do?

just try to rehost it on imgur and use their link.

JLHza2T.png

#73 SkiesEagle

SkiesEagle

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:I like drawing and reading fanfiction :P

Posted 21 October 2013 - 01:14 AM

just try to rehost it on imgur and use their link.

Well, I went there and I am not too sure if I want to trust it there. I figure it out how to post it in my signature because I post my drawing in gallery and went to my signature to click "My Media" to select my drawing and it works. Thanks for the help, though.

Kweh!~
Chocobos
chocobo narusaku2

#74 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:07 PM

Okay, so I went to change my signature and from some reason it won't allow me to have any text at all now. What's going on?

#75 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:12 PM

Hmm, weird, you should be able to use 2 lines of text, as well as your image.  How much text did you try to add?

(Rushing off to work now, but I will try to check on my phone)

#76 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

Hmm, weird, you should be able to use 2 lines of text, as well as your image.  How much text did you try to add?

(Rushing off to work now, but I will try to check on my phone)

Only two, that's why I'm scratching my head.

#77 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 08:35 PM

Sorry about the delay in replying!  I have changed the signature settings to allow 5 lines for signatures, which could be like:

1. Image
  2. (blank line)
  3. Text
  4. Text
  5. Text

Blank lines do count, so the new setting should take that into account.  I will also re-write the signature rules topic in the Rules forum this week to bring it all up to date.  :happy:

#78 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

^Thank you!

#79 Sakamaki Izayoi

Sakamaki Izayoi

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 27 November 2013 - 10:06 PM

I have a question about the signatures.

Why it wont allow gifs anymore?

SK-303_image007.jpg

#80 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 28 November 2013 - 09:50 PM

I have a question about the signatures.

Why it wont allow gifs anymore?

I can't see any setting that is blocking gifs.  Did you try to upload more than one image, or an image larger than 550x400px?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users