Close
Photo

Do you think Sakura should stop saying Sasuke-Kun?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14 replies to this topic

#1 SakuraHarunoChan

SakuraHarunoChan

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:41 AM

I notice in anime, a lot of girls call the guy they like Kun, and as long as she says it, I can't think she's completely over Sasuke. Your thoughts?

#2 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:58 AM

It'd be different but im used to her calling him that so no I don't think she should stop. Just like how I cant see Sakura using a suffix with Naruto to me it's just weird.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#3 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:04 AM

That's a tough one, I really don't see Sakura not calling him Sasuke-kun since she's always called him that, it's in her character, and I don't think that will change, just like her never calling Naruto, Naruto-kun, it's not in her character, just the same with Naruto always calling her Sakura-chan.

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#4 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:10 AM

From what I've read, using the "-kun" suffix doesn't really imply romantic feelings. I believe it can have that connotation, but I've always assumed it to be more of a step in formality in between "-san" and dropping it altogether. I think the reason a lot girls in anime use it on their crush is simply wanting to be informal with their crush, but not to the point of rudeness. But there's obviously a lot of rules that go along with honorific speak, so it's kind of hard to explain.

Think about this way though. If using "-kun" implies having feelings for a guy, than Hinata sure has a lot of crushes. tongue.gif

Anyways, if Sakura stopped saying "-kun", I assume she would drop it altogether, since "-san" would be too formal for an old teammate. If she dropped it, it would most likely mean she doesn't care enough about him to use an honorific, or she feels close enough with him to not need one. And I guess I don't really see either happening.

Edited by Boom...Winning, 14 December 2011 - 03:11 AM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#5 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:13 AM

QUOTE (Boom...Winning @ Dec 14 2011, 04:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
From what I've read, using the "-kun" suffix doesn't really imply romantic feelings. I believe it can have that connotation, but I've always assumed it to be more of a step in formality in between "-san" and dropping it altogether. I think the reason a lot girls in anime use it on their crush is simply wanting to be informal with their crush, but not to the point of rudeness. But there's obviously a lot of rules that go along with honorific speak, so it's kind of hard to explain.

Think about this way though. If using "-kun" implies having feelings for a guy, than Hinata sure has a lot of crushes. tongue.gif

Anyways, if Sakura stopped saying "-kun", I assume she would drop it altogether, since "-san" would be too formal for an old teammate. If she dropped it, it would most likely mean she doesn't care enough about him to use an honorific, or she feels close enough with him to not need one. And I guess I don't really see either happening.

Yeah.. kiba-kun, sasuke-kun, neji-kun, naruto-kun, ... laugh.gif

I'd like it if she just called him Sasuke, though. For some reason I don't see that happening, maybe ONLY if she witnessed Naruto get severily hurt by Sasuke and nearly almost near death - then she ownt have any respect left or care for Sasuke and she wont use it.

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#6 Rorek

Rorek

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:I like writing (almost anything), playing video games on my Xbox 360, listening to lots of music, and wasting hours on facebook and tumblr. :D

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:19 AM

I think it should just stay as Sasuke-kun. I agree, it's too deep embedded in her character for her to stop.

And on the topic of honorifics, I just thought I'd point out that Sakura feels comfortable enough around Naruto that she doesn't need to use honorifics. smile.gif

#7 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:20 AM

QUOTE (Rorek @ Dec 14 2011, 03:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it should just stay as Sasuke-kun. I agree, it's too deep embedded in her character for her to stop.

And on the topic of honorifics, I just thought I'd point out that Sakura feels comfortable enough around Naruto that she doesn't need to use honorifics. smile.gif

Exactly. She's extremely comfortable with him and can be herself whenever she's around him. Without him around she's got her guard up - emotionally, at least.
smile.gif

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#8 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:21 AM

QUOTE (SakuraHarunoChan @ Dec 13 2011, 07:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I notice in anime, a lot of girls call the guy they like Kun, and as long as she says it, I can't think she's completely over Sasuke. Your thoughts?

Because they're about the same age so it's an appropriate honorifics suffix to use, and it CAN also be used it as a way of affection. But Sakura doesn't use it with Naruto because she doesn't need to be formal with him showing huge intimacy, because in Japanese culture if you don't use honorifics you're either considered very rude or REALLY close with a person. Anyways you see Hinata using honorifics all the time because she's very formal, it doesn't necessarily mean that she has feelings for everyone, and Sakura uses honorifics quite often unless she's really good friends with them. (Naruto, Sai, Ino)

Edited by Phantom_999, 14 December 2011 - 03:22 AM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#9 Rorek

Rorek

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 43 posts
  • Interests:I like writing (almost anything), playing video games on my Xbox 360, listening to lots of music, and wasting hours on facebook and tumblr. :D

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:22 AM

QUOTE (Phantom_999 @ Dec 13 2011, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they're about the same age so it's an appropriate honorifics suffix to use, and it CAN also be used it as a way of affection. But Sakura doesn't use it with Naruto because she doesn't need to be formal with him showing huge intimacy, because in Japanese culture if you don't use honorifics you're either considered very rude or REALLY close with a person. Anyways you see Hinata using honorifics all the time because she's very formal, it doesn't necessarily mean that she has feelings for everyone, and Sakura uses honorifics quite often unless she's really good friends with them. (Naruto, Sai, Ino)

You can only put Ino with Naruto and Sai if you don't count pig as an honorific. wink.gif

#10 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:lol git

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:54 AM

the thing is, as far as the manga lets us know, shes not formally over him, so i guess not

#11 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:04 AM

QUOTE (Dragunov @ Dec 13 2011, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the thing is, as far as the manga lets us know, shes not formally over him, so i guess not

Has nothing to do with honorifics or why she uses it at the moment. So...
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#12 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:roses are red, dark clouds are grey.... the rumour come out: does jumin han is gay?

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:16 AM

I'm not really sure if I want Sakura to stop adding the "-kun" suffix to Sasuke's name. But the only way I see her actually drop it is if she totally loses respect for him, which I highly doubt, no matter how corrupted he is. Just my opinion.

JA2DBzd.png

#13 Super Boom

Super Boom

WC?

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 02:08 PM

QUOTE (Kim @ Dec 14 2011, 02:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So how well do you have to know someone to stop using the suffix and not be rude?

I don't know too much about Japanese honorific speak (most of what I know is based on what I've read on Wikipedia or random forums), but I think it's generally reserved for family members and lovers in real life. I think it follows slightly different rules in manga though, especially ones with a strong emphasis on bonds or nakama, or characters who just lack social graces.
With how Sakura addresses Naruto, I've always assumed it was a matter of starting off rude, and then just not changing how she addressed him as they grew closer. At the very least, I don't think she still intends to be rude with him. Hmm, in that case, it seems like initial rudeness might have even paved the way for a close friendship/bond. happy.gif

Edited by Boom...Winning, 14 December 2011 - 02:11 PM.

tumblr_ndajpwG2zQ1qitrvro1_500.gif

#14 KoolKat

KoolKat

Feisty <3

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Fyuria'sLeo @ Dec 13 2011, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It'd be different but im used to her calling him that so no I don't think she should stop. Just like how I cant see Sakura using a suffix with Naruto to me it's just weird.

i completely agree with you.

#15 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:10 PM

QUOTE (Kim @ Dec 14 2011, 01:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So how well do you have to know someone to stop using the suffix and not be rude?

childhood friends, or something like that. headscratch.gif Or if the person doesn't mind, though others still may see it as rude. But anyways it's still a choice, As you can know some your whole life and you'd still use honorifics. Back on topic Sakura has always said "Sasuke-kun" and I honestly see her using that thoughout their childhood until they grow up, then she must use -san, just like she still just says Naruto up til now, showing their closeness wink.gif

Edited by Phantom_999, 14 December 2011 - 10:14 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users