LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 21 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

So we just got a clip between Light and Ryuk that just came out, and it's kinda interesting: 

The question still stands, will it be good? at this point I'm 50/50 split I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't end up being good. 

4e26f1bc8d604925166ad9bb2f431f5cc8eb6385

THAT'S WHAT HEROES DO, THEY SAVE PEOPLE!!

#22 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

From the movies I've watched Light's actor isn't the most skillfull one. :/ He's really mediocre and it's difficult to capture Light's growing insanity. When he talked to himself it looked silly not frightening. I predict this will be a 6/10.

I wish they hadn't changed Ryuk's role because he's supposed to watch in amusement while Light gets lost in the book, not push him to use it.

ナルサク

#23 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:55 PM

You can't really do a Death Note live action movie without constant internal monologue and live action movies (American ones anyway) just don't do that (Sin City being the exception). This is probably why the screen play changed the nature of Light and Misa's relationship. The exposition that would otherwise be delivered by Light's thoughts are delivered as a result of conversation instead. Same goes for having L speak in public as opposed to sitting by himself in silence. Unfortunately, this manner of exposition guts the characters, which is why this movie has no chance of being any good. :no:

Posted Image

Behold! Akame ga Kill's True Canon Pairing!

#24 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts
  • Interests:Mariah Carey, Super Junior, Ailee, Shinee, and Mariah Carey

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

AkittenakaxSen, NaruSaku, SakuraxShaoran, SomaxErina, TouKen, YonaxHak

Posted 23 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

This is gonna be so edgy... I have zero expectations for this adaptation.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

tumblr_nd8f3hq6MN1qawpjto1_r2_500.gif

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

#25 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 23 July 2017 - 07:54 PM

I try to keep an open mind about adaptations and I really make an effort to reserve judgement for movies and series until I've seen them.

However, from what I've seen, I have to say I really don't see this "Death Note" adaptation being very good.

The setting of the movie, at least from Light's perspective, seems a bit too dreary and broken down. Even what he's wearing seems a bit too 'rough.' I'm all for making some differences for an American version, but Light should be in up scale school, popular and clean-cut. It was that whole sparkling boy-scout image that made for such a good contrast with his darker elements.

There's been some other aspects I haven't really liked, either. One of the trailers had L out in public speaking to the press, it seemed rather odd. Once again, change things like locations, maybe some character names and such to make it fit, but for the most part some good costume design could make for a more accurate adaptation.

The clip they released was also rather concerning. Ryuk seems to be trying to convince Light to use the Death Note, when it was Light that experimented with it on his own. Maybe there's more too it, but I feel like this is the wrong direction. Again, I know things have to be somewhat different, but if so much changes is it even Death Note?

Edited by Lid, 23 July 2017 - 07:55 PM.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#26 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,419 posts
  • Interests:Writing

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:49 PM

Didn't realize a new trailer came out: 

I'll say this the trailer's making it look good, but will it actually be good? who knows. 

I'm still like 50/50 on the entire thing.. Just a week away and then it'll be out... so judgement will soon arrive. 

btw the director did say this when it came to the live action film when it comes to the concerns people have over the films and stating the American take on the series:  "It's one of those things where the harder I tried to stay 100 percent true to the source material, the more it just kind of fell apart... You're in a different country, you're in a different kind of environment, and you're trying to also summarize a sprawling series into a two-hour-long film. For me, it became about; what do these themes mean to modern day America, and how does that affect how we tell the story."

http://www.ign.com/a...merican-setting

4e26f1bc8d604925166ad9bb2f431f5cc8eb6385

THAT'S WHAT HEROES DO, THEY SAVE PEOPLE!!

#27 trang95

trang95

♣Yorozuya Member♣

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,048 posts
  • Interests:Mariah Carey, Super Junior, Ailee, Shinee, and Mariah Carey

Cardcaptor Sakura, Gintama, HxH, Magi, Neon Genesis Evangelion, Noragami, Princess Mononoke, Tokyo Ghoul ETC.

AkittenakaxSen, NaruSaku, SakuraxShaoran, SomaxErina, TouKen, YonaxHak

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:47 PM

Who's ready to watch this movie on Friday? I already know I will be disappointed, lol.

G . I . N . T . A . M .A

tumblr_nd8f3hq6MN1qawpjto1_r2_500.gif

“The country? The skies? You can have them! I'm busy enough protecting what's in front of me. I don't know how many times I failed to protect what I wanted. I have nothing left, so at least if something has fallen at my feet, I'll pick it up."
- Sakata Gintoki, Gintama

#28 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime/Manga, Comics, Movies, Fansty Books

Ships: Narusaku, Peter&MJ, Percabeth & Hicctrid

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:03 AM

Just saw the first 2 episodes of the anime yesterday, pretty clever how L exposed Kira doing all the murders in Japan

#29 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:12 AM

Still can't believe it was in WSJ. Pretty damn 80s dark vibe.

Anyway, well, Friday it is.

#30 BlueStarSaber

BlueStarSaber

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,348 posts
  • Interests:Art, Anime/Manga, Comics, Movies, Fansty Books

Ships: Narusaku, Peter&MJ, Percabeth & Hicctrid

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:15 AM

Still can't believe it was in WSJ. Pretty damn 80s dark vibe.

Anyway, well, Friday it is.

Well to be fair they do put Shonen Jump Advance on the volumes, though I still why Assassination Classroom is Advance when it's quite lighthearted, except maybe the boob jokes

#31 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:27 AM

Still going to watch it, but I'm keeping my expectations low with an open mind. Cause I'm not too sure on how it'll all play out...

#32 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 01:30 AM

Who knows. It was still published in WSJ and we were following an anti-hero/villain. It's kind of unheard of. It's like if more like this appear under Shounen, it wouldn't be so stereotyped with "friendship is power!" ideal.

#33 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

I saw it.

Don't watch it.

#34 hinataiscreepy

hinataiscreepy

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:43 PM

Still going to watch it, but I'm keeping my expectations low with an open mind. Cause I'm not too sure on how it'll all play out...

The reviews are not looking great so far...

Probably, one of the most interesting review that highlights the brilliance of the original and what the netflix adaptation misses out completely.

https://www.theverge...ew-adam-wingard

On the other hand, I HIGHLY recommend the two Death Note films of 2006 made by Japanese. It looks a bit outdated and CGI Ryuk looks awful but the overall execution and pacing totally make up for it. The characters actually look their original counterpart (especially L) and the films add some mind-blowing twists that totally live up to the manga. I would even say that the movie ending actually surpass the original ending completely. These movies condense and cut out the absurd amount of exposition from the original and make the pacing a lot smoother.

#35 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

I saw it.

Don't watch it.

vonDsGS.jpg?1

ナルサク

#36 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:55 PM

The reviews are not looking great so far...

Probably, one of the most interesting review that highlights the brilliance of the original and what the netflix adaptation misses out completely.

https://www.theverge...ew-adam-wingard

On the other hand, I HIGHLY recommend the two Death Note films of 2006 made by Japanese. It looks a bit outdated and CGI Ryuk looks awful but the overall execution and pacing totally make up for it. The characters actually look their original counterpart (especially L) and the films add some mind-blowing twists that totally live up to the manga. I would even say that the movie ending actually surpass the original ending completely. These movies condense and cut out the absurd amount of exposition from the original and make the pacing a lot smoother.

Those were much more faithful to original and held well for its execution.

#37 hinataiscreepy

hinataiscreepy

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 02:09 PM

I heard the netflix version tries to retell the whole story in two hours which is impossible and is gonna feel rushed.

The Japanese films don't fall into that trap by using two films and avoids the timeskip issue from the original manga that caused the series to downgrade in quality.

#38 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 11:44 PM

At least we still have this brilliant piece of work around:

S8yM64g.gif

#39 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:00 AM

I saw it.

Don't watch it.

I knew it so it was THAT BAD? I'm not surprised don't worry I won't.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#40 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:56 AM

So... I just watched it... And I took some notes. So, if you want to see my reactions that I had while watching this travesty, you can see them below. Warning, spoilers:

Death Note reactions

Ok, so, at the end of the day, if this wasn't called Death Note, it would be a below average teen horror flick. The idea of teens messing with a paranormal plot device and getting in over their heads maybe could've worked. Even though it's a pretty generic trope, it's not a terrible thing to take a chance with, as long as the execution is good. That wasn't really the case here, though. Most of the acting is forgettable, Light is bland, Mia is over the top and so many sequences try too hard to be edgy.

But let's get to the real reason we're all talking about this, it has the name DEATH NOTE, this is supposed to be an adaptation of DEATH NOTE. Could they have done an American version and kept a lot the same? Absolutely. Light could still be a golden boy genius who happens upon the note and his ambitious nature and ego put him on a quest for creating a new world and a collision course with detectives for some amazing mental battles.

THAT is not here, THIS is not Death Note.

I think I'm going to watch some real Death Note now to put this movie out of my memory.

Edited by Lid, 26 August 2017 - 04:56 AM.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users