11 replies to this topic

#1 Travis

Travis

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:58 PM

Here is the long waited sequel to Kissing the Wind. I should be adding the next few chapters evenly spaced over the next week or so.

http://www.fanfictio...1/Sakura_Season

#2 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 30 April 2008 - 09:30 PM

Gppd stuff more please
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#3 merschdust

merschdust

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 02:08 PM

good job. can't want for the next chapter

#4 Travis

Travis

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:57 PM

QUOTE (merschdust @ May 1 2008, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
good job. can't want for the next chapter

Thank you. The second chapter is up. More this weekend.

Edited by Travis, 02 May 2008 - 10:02 PM.

#5 Travis

Travis

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 07:55 AM

Hey folks, double posting to say there are six chapters up for this now.

Remember to post here with comments so that I can more directly answer questions, talk about things that might be confusing, or just debate where I think the manag is headed in general and how my story depicts that.

Later!

#6 Simusar

Simusar

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 May 2008 - 10:36 AM

man, i wish i could get to ff.net at work, anyway i could pursuade you to post it here too? lol

#7 Travis

Travis

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 09:00 AM

QUOTE (Simusar @ May 16 2008, 05:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
man, i wish i could get to ff.net at work, anyway i could pursuade you to post it here too? lol

Don't know why I hadn't thought of doing that. I noticed there is a way to make a hidden link. I'll certainly do this. I'll post the first two chapters. After that, I need replies to keep going it seems.

Sakura Season

From the Training Journal of Haruno Sakura -Forward

Dear Sakura,

I congratulate you on passing my little test with your team mates Naruto Uzumaki and Sasuke Uchiha. Each of you will receive a logbook to make notes and document your training as we develop you to the next level. Do not document B rank missions or above due to their classified nature, but use these wisely to review what you have learned. I find the more detailed the better. Sometimes it may be helpful to share the contents with me or your other teachers, but overall this is for your personal use the same way you would use a normal diary. Good luck!

- Kakashi Sensei

From the Training Journal of Haruno Sakura, 28 March 112th Year of the Leaf

Its sakura season. My season. It is also my birthday. My parents had something special

planned for me today, but that didn’t mean a day off from the new training I’ve been involved in for the last four months. My Master is fair, but she’s not always that kind. That’s why I admire her so much. She knows I can’t afford to slow down. Not now. Not at the rate Naruto and Sasuke are gaining strength.

The spring brings new life and new promises. Early in the morning I set out, and as I crossed the bridge of the Konoha river, our old meeting place back when we were team seven, the wind blows fresh sakura petals in my direction. The orchard that lines the river is in full bloom, and I consider it a good omen as I pause for a moment to consider my reflection in the water. My head protector gleams in the first light of day, highlighting my distinctive pink hair. It was my father that chose to name me for the blossoms that match that color. That seems strange considering its my mother who I get my love and knowledge of flowers from.

I used to wink at my reflection. It was a childish game when I used to care more about how I looked than how I fought. Somehow I like how I look much better with experience behind my deep green eyes and confidence behind the small features of my round face. My forehead doesn’t seem quite so large anymore either. Instead of winking, I promise myself that today I will become stronger.

My promise complete, I hurry to training ground five. It’s the place where I last saw him. It was a portion of his energy in the form of a shadow clone to be more precise, but details like that didn’t matter in the end. I know the memory of that event will never leave me. Not a day has gone by, perhaps not even a moment in the last five weeks when I have not thought of him, Naruto Uzumaki. I’ll never forget that wonderful night in the hospital, or even what the last words that he said to me were.

“I love you, Sakura. Become stronger, so when I get back we can finally put an end to all our troubles.”

I can’t wait to show him how much stronger I have become, but I know I still have a long way to go before I’m ready.

The training ground is deserted, just like it was that morning last fall. The rays of the sun filter through healthy trees full of green leaves, and the warmth the light brings to my face erases the rest of my sleepiness. The fact that I’m alone doesn’t surprise me. Lady Tsunade is very busy as a hokage, and though she trains me when she can, she can’t always afford to be around. Besides, she insists most of my training is something I have to do on my own. So I take out a scroll from my pouch and I begin to train again in earnest.

I hate biting my own thumb. It just seems so unsanitary to a medical ninja like me. Instead, I prefer to prick it with a Kunai blade while the scroll unfurls in the air. I’ve gotten quite good at the timing of doing a summon this way. I just wish I had Naruto’s wealth of chakra for something like this, because today my first slug is no larger than it has been for the last two months.

It’s a deep navy blue one with a white line down her back. She’s about three feet in length. Her feelers are short and stocky and she emits a greenish slime as she crawls slowly away from me. This one calls herself Chimochi. I remember being so excited the first time I summoned one this big. I was progressing rapidly at that point.

“Slugs like this are excellent for healing minor battlefield injuries.” My master explained. “Some slugs use a corrosive acid, while others like Chimochi here have healing and

regenerative enzymes. Summon a few of these, and they can get to work healing cuts and abrasions so you can conserve chakra for more serious injuries. Don’t forget they can multiply into smaller versions of themselves if you need them to. I once kept seventeen ninja from bleeding to death this way.”

“Oh hello, Sakura!” Chimochi says cheerfully. “Training again I see?”

“That’s right.” I tell her with a nod and a smile. “Please excuse me if I bring you out a few times today, I’m going to try and go larger again.”

“You’ll call my big sister this time for sure!” she says with gleeful optimism.

I give the slug one more smile before I dismiss her. I still can’t get over talking to slugs this way. I won’t ever question them in front of my master again though. I was lucky to escape without a scratch at my first lesson.

“But master, why does it have to be slugs? Couldn’t it be something cute and furry like bunnies or squirrels or maybe even . . .”

Tsunade-sama shot me a glare that would have made Ochimaru shed another skin.

“Don’t take this blood contract you are about to enter into lightly, Sakura. You must trust me when I say these animal spirits suit you best. If you feel you’re not ready . . .”

“I’m ready master,” I said. “Please forgive me.”

Four hours later I fell to my knees, panting. It was another summon of the same size. In fact, it was Chimochi again. She had appeared eight times already. My hands were bloodied from countless punctures, and the sweat stung my eyes as my hair lay matted to my face.

“It just no use,” I whimpered pathetically.

For all my skill at chakra control I just couldn’t input enough of it in one explosive burst to move to the next level. I felt like I was at my limit. That’s when she decided to show up.

“Giving up for today already, Sakura?” Tsunade-sama said from behind me.

Of course I had to act like I knew she was there all along, though it was probably a moot point because I’m sure she saw my back stiffen in surprise. What did she mean, “already”? I was exhausted. I pushed myself to my feet with trembling arms. I turned to face her, wiping the matted hair from my cheeks. I started to bow in greeting, but all I saw was a flicker of movement where my master’s green and gray-clad silhouette had just been. I barely got my arms crossed in front of my face and loaded with chakra in time as the Hokage’s fist slammed into me like an avalanche, knocking me backward about fifty feet. I flipped in mid-air and somehow landed on my feet, my arms throbbed with pain, but I had gotten sufficient chakra flowing through them to avoid any broken bones.

I had no time to process what was happening as instinct took over. I ducked another punch, sidestepped a knife-handed thrust, and then cartwheeled over her right shoulder to avoid the final strike in a triple combo. Any one of those strikes would have knocked me out instantly.

If I made even the slightest mistake she might even kill me. My master was attacking for real again. It is a testament to the trust she has in my abilities, but I hate it when she does that!

This time her attack had come without warning, and as I desperately tried to gain distance from her, all I could do was wonder why. Did she think I needed more evasion training? Surely there were better ways to build my conditioning?

My master’s long blond hair whipped behind her as the speed she moved at created a jet stream behind her. I leapt to safety again, and some poor tree became timber and toothpicks.

“Master!” I cried desperately. “I wasn’t giving up! It was just a moment of frust - aaah!”

The woman elder Chiyo had called “Slug Princess” had created a canyon beneath my feet by punching the ground just as I landed. I fell right in, and would have been stuck there had I not punched the ground myself as I fell, widening the gap and sending a wave of crumple earth back at my master. I almost didn’t jump free in time. Tsunade crashed down where I had just been with a powerful kick, creating a shockwave that rattled my bones and jarred my teeth. Chunks of rock tore into my back like shrapnel.

“There’s only two ways to stop me, Sakura!” Tsunade yelled as she turned to renew her attack. Her brown eyes narrowed with dangerous intent as she spoke her next words. “Either defeat me on your own or summon a slug capable of holding me off!”

My heart was racing. So that’s what this was about! My master and I both knew I was no match for her. She may be an unlucky gambler, but I would not bet on my chances against her. This meant there was really only one choice.

I looked at my hands as I leapt up into a tree. They were stained with dried blood and trembling with fatigue. The momentary inattention nearly put me in the hospital. Tsunade punched through the tree and caught me in the right side of my abdomen. I gasped as all the air rushed from my lungs. I hit the ground hard, and bounced twice before coming to rest up against a wall of rock.

Tsunade had told me this new landmark had been created for Naruto’s training by Captain Yamato. It was quite impressive. It even had a large, long pond of water in front of it where a waterfall nearly the width of the cliff had cascaded for three full days.

I now found that my master had me cornered between this moat and the wall, and I wished for all the world that the tall cliff would disappear back into the forest from which it was born. I struggled to my feet by pressing my back against the wall of rock and looked up, kunai clutched in a two handed grip. My master’s silhouette blocked out the sun, her leg was raise high in preparation for a final devastating blow. There was no way to avoid such a blast of power in time, and there was nowhere to run. I knew it was now or never.

“Summoning justu!” I called as I punctured my thumb and spread a scroll on the ground. At the same time, a let all the chakra I could muster flow from me in one explosive burst into the appropriate place on the scroll. A huge plume of white smoke shot into the sky.

The Hokage never touched the ground. I looked up in amazement as she sat atop a fifty meter tall white slug with blue markings. It was bigger than the cliff I was pinned against. It was

her, the matriarch of all slugs, Katsuya. I had done it. My master looked down on me from on high with pride. I smiled weakly, trying to hide my shock at what I had accomplished.

“That will do, Sakura!” Tsunade called down to me. I sensed laughter in her voice. Maybe it was a little more than she expected, too. “That will do!”

Smiling weakly, I rolled over onto my back and passed out.

I came to a few minutes later to find my master holding a steaming tin cup of warm tea for me. I took it gladly and noticed we were still in the shadow of the ninja-made cliff, and

Katsuya’s massive bulk still eclipsed the late afternoon sun. The Slug Queen spoke to me in a very light and childlike soprano voice. I found her tone soothing.

“Its such a pleasure to meet you, Sakura Haruno. Are you feeling better?”

“Y-yes,” I said tentatively. I wondered if I should address her with some title, but I simply said. “I’m glad to meet you too.” I doubted she knew exactly how glad. I favored my right side as I sipped a tea that tasted of tangy citrus. There was going to be a bad bruise on that side of my abdomen. My clothes were badly torn, and I had several abrasions and cuts. Tsunade-sama noticed my self-examination.

“I hated to resort to Jiraiya’s teaching method’s like that,” my master commented as she shifted from her knees to sit cross-legged in front of me. She removed a tan camping bag from her shoulder and let it rest on the ground next to her. “But sometimes it takes a life or death situation to prove to yourself what you are capable of.”

She was smiling sweetly, and acting like we were just together on some picnic. I felt a vein in my forehead pulse slightly. Keep cool. I told myself. Keep cool. Keep cool.

“Don’t pawn your training method’s off on that old pervert!” I chided loudly, shaking my fist. “I was almost at my limit! Do you have any idea how close you came to kill . . .”

I stopped, remembering my place as my Master’s eyes lowered in true sadness. I knew she was thinking about Jiraiya-sama, and I immediately felt guilty about my words. I wondered what exactly it was she had lost when he died. Was he more than her good friend? I thought about Naruto. If I ever lost him . . .

“Oh my!” said Katsuya’s sweetly. “She has such a temper. She really is much like you Tsunade.”

The Hokage snapped out of whatever memories were haunting her, and smiled up at her old ally. “Oh, she’ll be even stronger than me someday, old friend.”

Abruptly my Master’s attention shifted to somewhere behind me.

“Have you been watching, Kurunai?”

“I was almost late thanks to Shikamaru taking his time coming over to babysit,” said a familiar voice. “But I caught the important part. Very impressive, Sakura.”

What is it with teachers and their habit of wanting to make a dramatic entrance like this, anyway? At least Gai-Sensei will admit his love of theatrics. I thanked and greeted Kurunai-Sensei as this thought worked its way through my mind. She wore a combat kimono not unlike

the one I was used to seeing her in for years, but it was now as black as her long, wild hair. Her strange ruby spiral-pattern eyes regarded me with interest.

“Well it seems you have more business to attend to,” said Katsuya. “If you need nothing further from me, Sakura-san . .”

It occurred to me for the first time that it was I who could dismiss her. Still, she probably was just being polite. Its not like a creature such as her really had to do what I said.

“Oh! Yes . . . I mean no, thank you!” I said hurriedly. “Please be on your way.”

“Until we meet again then,” said the giant slug just before disappearing with a loud pop and a monstrous cloud of white smoke.

“I must say I did not expect to see her today,” said Kurunai-sensei.

“Yes, it even surprised me,” beamed my master. “Well done Sakura.”

“But don’t get too comfortable with your success,” the dark haired kunoichi warned me. “Now that you’ve mastered summoning, your training with me begins.”

I felt the color drain from my face, and I tried to hide my apprehension by taking a long sip of tea. During this pause Kurunai-Sensei knelt down beside me on her knees and locked gazes with my master. Dimly it occurred to me they were both the same. They had both lost so much, but especially Kurunai-Sensei. She had lost the father of her child. Asuma-Sensei was part of a growing list of losses in the battle against the Akatsuki. I think the two teachers found comfort in each other at that moment, but at the same time they were both hiding their pain.

“I look forward to it, sensei.” I said at last.

“Meet me at the Nara clan dojo at zero eight hundred hours tomorrow,” my new teacher said with a gleam in her eye. “And get plenty of sleep. You’re going to need it.”

“Yes Mam!” I said smartly as I stood up. The tea had restored some of my strength. I made a mental note to get this recipe from the Hokage the first chance I got. The sky was getting dark. The sun had almost set. I needed to get home in time for . . .

“Oh, and Sakura.” My master said in a serious tone.

What now? I wondered.

“Happy Birthday!”

My master was grinning broadly and holding out a box wrapped in blue paper with a green ribbon. The warm wind blew as she held it out to me, bringing with it some wayward

Sakura blossoms. I took the present gladly with a bow. When I just stood there dumbly, Tsunade urged me to open it as Kurunai-Sensei looked on.

It was a beautiful new combat kimono, and a Special-Jonin flak jacket. Everything was styled to my tastes. The pants were a deep scarlet, and they were loose and flexible in the same style as my master’s. The top was a pale pink rose color and was designed to wrap around my chest and back like a bandage, holding my breasts securely while looking quite fashionable. This left my stomach and lower back exposed, but I agree with Tsunade’s belief that it can be an advantage for a kunoichi to maintain a certain sexyness when facing male opponents.

The rose color was also special in that it was photo-effective material and would turn dull gray at night. The ensemble was completed with a light-weight jacket much like the Hokage’s.

Mine was scarlet instead of green, and was adorned with my chosen symbol, a white circle for unity and purity in the back. This would be worn over the flak-jacket during missions. The deep scarlet, like the rose, would absorb light in the darkness. I would appear as a formless, shapeless entity to the enemy if I was spotted at all. Tsunade said it would be more durable than my old kimonos. I loved it. Also, the flak jacket meant . . .

“Congratulations, Sakura.” Tsunade confirmed. “You’re a Special-Jonin now. If you can excel at Kurunai’s training, I’ll consider testing you for Jonin.”

I nodded my understanding. I wouldn’t let them down.

The sun slipped below the horizon, and I suddenly realized I was going to be late for dinner with my parents.

“Excuse me master, Kurunai-sensei,” I said hurriedly. “I need to get home.”

“Understood Sakura,” the Hokage said. “I’m sorry for keeping you.”

I leapt from the training area as fast as my ability would allow. I hoped my parents would be understanding.

“The attack has left five hundred and seven buildings in Konoha destroyed, seventy two injuries, and has taken from us twenty one of our brightest and best ninja, including the Hokage himself. This event will never be forgotten, and we will honor the sacrifice of the fallen. Still, as my first act returning to the title of Hokage, I decree it forbidden to mention, discuss, or hint at the fate befallen the boy chosen to imprison this beast. Let the pain of loss and thoughts of retribution or hate fade into history.”

- Saratobi, in his acceptance speech to the council’s emergency request that he resume the title of Hokage

From the Personal Diary of Haruno Sakura 28 March 112th Year of the Leaf

I’ve kept diaries since I was eight years old. It was another little habit I picked up from Ino. When she asked me way back then if I kept one, I smiled and told her, “Of course! Doesn’t everybody?” I immediately went home and asked my mother to get me one. Now writing is an old habit. Still, I don’t think I’ve ever really tried to describe my parents in any of the three that I have filled so far. I don’t think any of my ninja comrades have ever even met my parents either. They may have seen them at our graduation from the academy, and I’m sure some of our teachers know them well, but they are quiet people and tend to keep to themselves.

They raised me well, and as their only daughter I was showered with lots of love. I’m still very much a daddy’s girl. He used to tell me stories and give me piggy-back rides every night before I went to bed, and I think he still would if I let him. The love that they gave me makes my heart ache for both Naruto and Sasuke. Their childhoods have both been so harsh, and I don’t know if I’ll ever fully understand what either of them went through. They are both the same.

However, I’ve learned its not my place to ask. Damn it! I’m in tears again as I write this, but – that’s why I know that if I am to protect them, if I am to SAVE them, I have to save their friendship – No matter the cost. I know I’ll find a way, somehow.

Unfortunately, parents that love so much sometimes can’t stand to see their little girl grow up. The result is that lately, our relationship has been difficult. Even on a day like today, my birthday, my parents can’t help but bring up their issues.

I suppose it didn’t help that I arrived late for my birthday dinner because of training, but I would have thought they would understand my priorities by now. On my last birthday I wasn’t even home at all. I was out on a mission. In fact, it was that mission that we finally found Sasuke again after three years. My birthday was the last thing on my mind back then, but this year I wanted to make it up to them.

My father was a ninja in the Third Great Ninja War. He’s since retired at the request of my mother, who was a teacher, but not for the ninja arts. She teaches the basics; reading, writing and arithmetic. Sometimes ninja found her courses the toughest of all. She took a few years off after I was born, but has since returned to the academy. Since retiring, my father has become a leading figure in Konoha’s construction company, and was widely recognized for the quick repairs after Ochimaru’s attack a few years ago.

My father has platinum blond hair and brown eyes. He has a lean muscular build but towers over my tiny mother. I get my green eyes from her, but her hair is a plain brown, so my hair color is a mystery even in my family. Both of them insist the trait lies somewhere in their family, but I like to think I’m as rare as a perfect sakura blossom, like my father used to tell me when I was little.

When I arrived at the house I grew up in, which is a few blocks from the small apartment I live in now, my mother was already doing the dishes. Dad had settled into his favorite easychair and was watching some detective drama on television. I let myself in, as they insist that I do whenever I wish to visit, and they finally noticed me when I made a deliberate sigh and apologized deeply for being late.

There was a cake with unlit candles on our low, cherry-wood table, and a few presents. From the looks of things my parents had already gone ahead and eaten. My mother was already cleaning up, but their was a portion set aside on the table for me. She had made my favorite meal, Shashimi. I really did feel horrible about being late, but my mother made me feel worse.

“Sakura!” she yelped. “What happened? You’re all beat up! What have you been doing to yourself? Is this really what you enjoy doing more than celebrating your birthday with own parents?”

“Mo-mom, please, this is nothing.”

“Nothing! Look at you, your clothes are in shreds!”

“Mom, its alright, really. I’ll just go get changed and then I’ll come right back downstairs. Its still early, and the food looks delicious.”

My father came over to hug me. He gave me a worried look but said nothing. As I turned to go upstairs and change, my mother couldn’t resist her old rant. With my back turned to her, I proved to myself that I could mouth the speech word for word as she spoke it.

“When are you going to give up this Ninja-nonsense Sakura? Its not fitting for a young lady to have to put her life on the line like this. You’ve served long enough, its time to start thinking about settling down. First you cut your beautiful hair and then you developed that terrifying strength. What man is going to be attracted to all that?”

I turned and looked at my mother. If I didn’t stop this soon she cold go on like this for who knows how long. I started out softly, but I let my voice raise in volume until I was nearly yelling. I just couldn’t seem to help it.

“Mom, Dad, I got promoted to Special Jonin today. That’s why the training was . . .extra hard this afternoon. So stop asking me to give it up and stop telling me its nonsense!”

My mom caught her breath in mid-sentence. She turned pale, and then grey. Her eyes grew misty, and then she looked away. I felt a small pang of guilt, but her rants made me so frustrated sometimes. I needed to remind her how serious being a kunoichi is to me. My dad looked at me with a mixture of pride and thoughtfulness.

“Now Sakura,” he said in his scratchy tenor of a voice. “You know your mother is just worried about you. Especially when you seem to come back from every mission with new scars. There were even rumors that you were killed on one mission to the Hidden Village of the Sand.”

I nodded sheepishly. “I know. I just . . . this is my dream. And besides, its not like I haven’t got a boyfriend.”

This made my mother perk up and my father gape in surprise.

“What!” my mother cooed. “You finally gave up on chasing that Uchiha boy around? Who is he? Have I met him? Is he handsome? Well?”

In horror I realized my error. I tried to change the subject.

“Uh . . .let me go get changed.” I said with real embarrassment and flushed cheeks. “Then I’ll come back down and tell you all about him.”

I could hear my mom chattering excitedly all the way up to my old room. My mother had left it in th same condition it had been in since before I moved out. It was still very pink and veryfluffy, with all thirty two stuffed animals piled onto the bed. She even kept several changes of my street cloths handy. I picked an old favorite faded red t-shirt with a white circle on the back and a knee length black denim skirt. Once back downstairs, I managed to eat a reheated dinner, blow out seventeen candles, and open some cute presents without incident. It was almost pleasant, but I knew the questions would be coming. No way my mother would let something like the subject of a new boyfriend drop so easily.

“So,” she said teasingly, ambushing me while I still had a mouthful of cake. “Who is the lucky guy, hmmm? How long has this been going on? I’ll bet he works at the hospital, am I right? You were spending a lot of time there last fall.” My mother’s eyes got really big and sparkly. I thought she was going to get up and dance. The room suddenly felt very hot.

“Oooh! I bet he’s a doctor! Come on Sakura, you can’t hide it from me.”

I looked at my father, who was sulking and pretending not to be interested. Yet I could tell he wanted to know too. He was the one I was really worried about. I’m still cursing my thoughtlessness, but I suppose I would have had to deal with this sooner or later. I sighed. Very softly, I mumbled . . .

“Naruto Uzumaki.”

“What?” my father asked darkly. My mother gasped and covered her moth with the tips of her fingers. She glanced worriedly at her husband.

“Its Naruto Uzumaki.” I said more loudly, but I knew my voice was quavering.

“Absolutely not!” my father said sternly. His fist came down on the table, declaring his judgement like a gavel. “I forbid it!”

With that, he stormed away from the table.

I gripped the hem of my skirt as I sat cross legged at the table, and fought back tears. It had gone about as well as expected. My father doesn’t hate Naruto. He doesn’t even really fear of him either, like so many in the village. If anything, he pities Naruto.

Its all about principal for my father. His sister, like so many others, was killed in the Kyubi’s assault, just a few months after I was born. My father was a big supporter of the Third’s law that no adult should talk about or mention what was sealed inside Naruto. In other words, my father desires nothing more than to forget about the past completely, and move on. Although my father does not blame Naruto, he is a constant reminder of a past event he has vowed to forget. It really bothered dad that I was on the same team as him, but somehow he got past it. I’m not sure, but I think it had something to do with Kakashi-sensei.

My mother got up from the table walked over to me as I still struggled with my tears. She gave my shoulders a sympathetic squeeze and said, “It’ll be alright, dear.” Then, she retreated quietly from the room.

The tears began to flow, and I tasted salt on my lips. It wasn’t as if my father was going to keep Naruto and I apart. I just miss him so much. Right then, I needed him more than anything. I needed to feel his warm embrace again, needed to look into those deep blue eyes and see that ear to ear grin. I needed to feel his touch, wanted so desperately to repeat the passion of that night before he left, and lay next to him shamelessly, letting his heartbeat sing me to sleep.

Instead, as I prepare to go to sleep tonight, I feel lonelier than I ever have in my whole life

Edited by Travis, 17 May 2008 - 04:24 PM.

#8 #1NuckleHeadNinja

#1NuckleHeadNinja

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 141 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 08:12 PM

very good so far. looking forward to the next couple of chapters smile.gif

#9 Travis

Travis

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 03:57 AM

“She feels deeply, that one. I know that worry’s you in training her. But trust me Kurunai, she has a way of surprising you when you least expect it”

-The Fifth Hokage, while discussing the future of Sakura Haruno

From the Training Journal of Haruno Sakura, 29 March 112th Year of the Leaf

I hadn’t trained in a dojo since my academy days. There was never any point with my Master or even under Kakashi-sensei. Chances were that the type of training we would be doingwould destroy the building. The Nara clan has a beautiful dojo, though, and genjutsu training would cause no harm to it. That was what Kurunai-sensei promised me anyway. The floor was pure mahogany wood, and there were no tatami mats. Sunlight filtered in through seven rectangular windows that were segmented and filled in with opaque paper in the traditional stylerather than glass. Light also sneaked its way through the thin crack that marked the parting point of the sliding doors at the entrance.

The front was adorned with a large balsa-wood shrine. Water cascaded down beneath the shrine through a fountain that was both outside and inside the dojo and into a pool of polisheddark rocks. Bright orange fish swam in the indoor pond, and the water trickled with a harmonious rhythm. The shrine was framed by two large golden gongs, and the Nara familyfounders were placed above the shrine. Shikamaru and his father were very gracious hosts, and fed us a breakfast of small pastries and eggs before Kurunai-sensei began the training.

My new teacher took the opportunity to review some genjutsu academics with me before we began, and already I began to learn new things. Once this conversation began, the Nara clan members excused themselves. All at once I was alone with team nine’s former teacher. Her strange eyes made me feel uneasy, and her reputation for mind techniques made me wonder if even my thoughts were safe from her.

“Sakura,” Kurunai-sensei began casually. “Kakashi tells me you are well read and are already very decent at dispelling simple genjutsu on your own is that correct?”

“Yes,” I said. “Well, I mean I suppose. But I also know I haven’t faced any really dangerous genjutsu yet.”

“Indeed.” nodded the genjutsu master. “Tell me, what do you know of creating your own genjutsu to attack with?”

I reverted back to my studies at once, producing a textbook answer from memory.

“In order to achieve a successful genjutsu, one must first establish a connection of the mind with an adversary. This can be accomplished through any of the five physical senses. For example, The mind can be ensnared through vision by means of a simple gesture. Other examples include the use of a properly encoded object such as a ring or fan. Its up to the shinobi to be subtle and find ways to combine or hide ensnaring gestures and items. In rare cases a bloodline limit such as the fabled Sharingan can enable the genjutsu user to “match senses” with the target. Audio connections can be established through music or . . .”

“That’s fine, Sakura.” Kurunai interrupted with a small amused smile. “What’s the next step?”

I had to think for a moment, as my train of thought had been interrupted. It wasn’t long before I remembered the next passage from the book, “The Art of Illusion.” by Mai Shironai.

“Once a connection is formed the ninja must maintain control of the enemies’s mind by forcing chakra through the neural pathways in a subtle manner. Forcing chakra too quickly will alert the target, and moving too slowly risks precious time in battle and leaves openings for the enemy. Also, if the target suspects an attack before the justu is complete they are likely to break free of their own willpower. Therefore, the ninja must understand the mind of the enemy, and use the art of illusion creatively to complete the mental trap.”

“Very good, Sakura.” said Kurunai nodding again with approval. “I can see where your reputation as the smartest in you class comes from.”

I felt my spine straighten with pride.

“But one can know all the rules to Shogi, and still lose every time.”

She just had to burst my bubble, didn’t she?

“For example,” Kurunai continued without sympathy. “How might you achieve a visual connection without your enemy ever knowing you are there?”

I had no answer. I could recall nothing in any of the books I had read. I hate not knowing the answer. It drives me almost insane. I thought I might blow a fuse if she didn’t tell me the answer soon. Of course, she didn’t. What was worse, she continued with more questions I could not answer.

“Or, what if you are up against another genjutsu user? How will you recognize your own genjutsu from that of the enemy? Don’t assume just because an illusion was your idea that the enemy won’t be able to turn it against you.”

I was getting tired of this game. I felt like yelling and asking her to get to the point. I somehow managed to keep my emotions in check.

“Sensei,” I said with as much sweetness as I could muster. “Please teach me.”

“No, Sakura.” the dark-haired woman said softly as she stood and smoothed her black kimono over her legs. “I can advise you and give you exercises that will help, but you are mistaken if you think I can teach you genjutsu. Its something you must teach yourself. Understand?”

I nodded, as I stood opposite her in the middle of the dojo. I understood the words, but I still wasn’t sure about the meaning.

“Where do I begin?” I asked.

“Before you can master the minds of others,” said my new teacher, “You need to become a master of your own mind.”

“How do I do that?” I asked.

Kurunai smiled and held up a small green elliptical leaf.

“Meditation.”

“Meditation?” I repeated dumbly. “What’s the leaf for?”

“This will be your first anchor.” Kurunai said.

“My . . . anchor?” I felt like some dumb tropical bird just repeating everything, but nothing was making any sense

“It’s a tradition in Konoha.” Kurunai explained. “I’m sure Iruka-sensei had you concentrate your chakra on leaves at the academy?”

Images flashed into my head. Images of fun days where I got to go home early after I made a leaf stuck to my forehead twirl like a pinwheel. Images of a delinquent Naruto and a few others being held late after school with Iruka-sensei because they had missed he exercise completely. It made me giggle.

Kurunai sensei raised a thin dark eyebrow. “What’s so funny?” she asked pleasantly.

“Nothing.” I said. “I just have fond memories of those days is all.”

“Your anchor is the key to holding a genjustu once your connection to the mind is established.” Kurunai explained. “You need to discover how to transform a physical object into another reality in your mind that it becomes the essence of your identity in the mind of your enemy. You’ve experience genjutsu before. If you think about Kakashi’s style for instance, you’ll recognize that he kept the leaf as his anchor when performing genjustu.

I thought back to that fist test Kakashi -sensei gave us. That first horrible genjustu, in which I had failed miserably at the sight of a mortally wounded Sasuke. My eyes widened as I remembered feeling light headed, as the wind blew and swirling around me were . . . leaves!

“Yes. Yes, I remember now that you mention it!” I said excitedly as something was finally beginning to make sense. I remembered another example. It was something Naruto told me about the genjutsu the Sand-nin endowed with Itachi’s power had used on him. “And Uchiha Itachi’s anchor must have been . . . the raven.”

Kurunai nodded. “I had heard rumors he had gone to some animal or bird as his anchor. The raven suits him. So, its obvious from that example that you don’t have to stick with leaves. Genjutsu is a very personal art. Always keep that in mind as you train. For instance, I prefer to anchor myself with a whole tree. Something so large is quite advanced though, so we always have students start out small.”

“That makes sense, I guess.” I said. But something wasn’t sitting right with me yet. “But, I don’t understand how this symbol is going to help me keep control of a mind.”

“You misunderstand, Sakura.” Kurunai said seriously. “The anchor doesn’t help you hold the mind of the enemy, it makes sure you keep hold of your own.”

My jaw dropped as my breath caught in my throat. Was she saying I could lose my own mind performing genjutsu?

“Genjustu can be very dangerous, Sakura. Even against a weak opponent, with no genjutsu experience or recognition of the threat, if you don’t anchor yourself properly you could risk becoming lost in their mind. If this happens, your own neuro-pathways will begin to shut down as a fail-safe for the body, and you might never fully recover your mind, or your sanity. This is why we would never teach genjutsu to someone like your teammate, Naruto. The risk is too great for those without an aptitude for this kind of combat.”

At last I thought I understood. But I had one more question.

“So, how do I know when I have a good anchor?”

“That, Sakura, is the question you must answer for yourself.”

I nodded solemnly. This really wasn’t going to be easy. It was difficult on a level I never imagined. My teacher placed the leaf gently into the palm of my hand, and closed my fingers around it for me. Holding my hand in both of hers, she looked at me with spiraling ruby eyes.

“Concentrate on this leaf, the peace of the dojo, and the flow of the water.” she said. “Meditate, meditate, meditate. And just when you think you can’t possibly keep it up any longer, meditate some more. I’ll be back for you in the morning. Its best not to eat, and if you fall asleep, well, you’ll just be wasting your time.”

I tried not to look as terrified as I felt. What kind of patience was this going to require?

With that, my teacher left me. I was on my own.

“Master of my own mind?” I whispered to the leaf as I sat cross legged on the wooden floor and closed my eyes. I had only one more thought before I became lost in a long, long, meditative trance. “Naruto, I’ve gotten so much stronger, but I have a long way to go. Please wait for me.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Ninja with unlimited imagination are limited only by the degree of faith they have in their ability to make their visions a reality.”

-Mai Shironai, The Art of Illusion

From the Training Journal of Haruno Sakura, 30 March 112th Year of the Leaf

It is difficult to write from memory what goes on in the mind during meditation. Especially twenty four hours of meditation. The hunger and the fatigue are easy to remember. The soar muscles and the four different postures tried are easy to remember. But the ebb and flow of a mind that is trying to achieve a state of nothingness is difficult to recall. Yet somehow I must. I failed to understand my connection to my anchor. That much was obvious when Kurunai sensei came to test my progress this morning. There must be a clue somewhere. The following is my attempt to piece together the experience of the past day.

On crossed legs, I breathe in. Water flows, a leaf warms my forehead. My new cloths feel cool but they lift away along with my soul, my chakra. The chakra flows like the water, my eyes are light, my world is darkness. I breathe out.

I feel his breath on the back of my neck.

On my back, I inhale. Tine slows, fish splash, water trickles. A leaf stirs, a leaf falls. I search for te leaf, the wind catches it. I grasp for it. The wind takes it away. I fall, I spin. A water drop sends out ripples. I spin and ride among the ripples. I fall into the water, and I am swept away. I exhale.

I surrender under his gaze.

On my knees, I smell. Freshly cut grass. Candy and burning wood. The water boils. I am burned. A leaf is crushed, its debris scatters on the wind. A drop of sweat crawls down my spine. Time stops. Steam carries me away on the sound of howling wind. I sigh.

His power lingers in my soul.

On my hands I gasp. The leaf multiplies. A fog settles. Sweat pours like water. The leaves sail away, on the backs of tiny creatures. I am color. I am the void. I am everywhere. I am nowhere. A darkness disturbs my peace. I seethe.

Naruto.

Somehow I stayed conscious and focused . Somehow I fended off hunger. There has to be a lesson in this stream of consciousness somewhere. There seems to be two consistencies, and that is that again and again the object of my anchor, the leaf, eludes me or taunts me. The other is that my focus would drift to a far away place. On him. Kurunai sensei very quickly demonstrated my lack of progress.

I sensed her coming as she quietly entered the dojo, but I kept my meditation posture and did not break it even as she greeted me with a pleasant tone to her voice.

“That’s enough for now Sakura,” she told me, and at last I opened my eyes and stood to bow in greeting.

I had stood too quickly. My knees felt stiff and weak and I was starving. I thought I might pass out but I was determined not to lose face in front of my teacher. Somehow I fought off the dizzy spell that followed and managed a genuine smile. I noticed right away that Kurunai-sensei was not wearing her combat Kimono, but a simple black dress.

“Now then,” said my teacher. “Lets see what you’ve learned about yourself. This won’t take long. I’m going to place you in a simple genjustu. I’ll be forming the connection so allow it to happen, I already know you are pretty good at dispelling. What I want you to do instead is try and form your anchor and hold onto it while my genjustu attempts to distract you. The longer you can hold your anchor will measure how well you are progressing.”

“Yes, Sensei!” I said smartly. I prepared myself by adopting a comfortable posture. I could do this! I would prove it to her. All I would prove is that I have such a long way to go indeed.

I felt only a slight uneasiness as the light in Kurunai’s ruby eyes flickered ever so slightly. A small sapling began to grow before my eyes in the middle of the dojo. It started as nothing more than a bean-stalk or weed, then slowly morphed into wood, almost as if Yamato Sensei were using his Mokto-jutsu. But I knew right away that I was now in Kurunai-sensei’s genjustu. She still stood calmly in front to me and regarded me as if nothing unusual was happening. She even spoke with moving lips.

“Now, instead of forcing chakra through your own mind as you would to dispel this, reach out for mine with your chakra. Don’t forget to visualize your anchor. You can take a leaf right off this tree if you wish, and make it your own.”

I imagined a leaf being plucked by an invisible hand from the sapling as it continued to grow into a lager tree, and I was fascinated and encouraged as my imagination became reality in front of me. I commanded the leaf to hover in mid air in front of me, and made it spin slowly.

“Good.” said Kurunai. “Now we are in a neutral genjustu state. Can you feel the difference between my mind and yours? ”

I could. The chakra flow was different. And the alien mind was all around me. I felt almost like I had left my own body, but was somehow still seeing through my eyes. The sensation was very strange. I noticed as I got excited, my leaf began to dance and twirl more rapidly. I nodded to my teacher in response to her question.

“I . . . I revolve around that leaf, everything else is a flow. Like water.”

Kurunai smiled at me and nodded. She seemed pleased.

“Good. I’m starting now. Hold that feeling for as long as you can.”

Without warning, a vine crashed through the wooden floor and wrapped around my ankle. I know I squealed in surprise because I am still embarrassed about it. My leaf leapt toward the ceiling, and I fought desperately with my mind to bring it back down, but it wouldn’t obey me. As my frustration began to set in, more vines crashed up through the floor, spraying me with wooden splinters. They wrapped around my wrists and my ankles. I was lifted from the ground, and noticed that a large tree was growing from behind me. The vines stretched out from its branches like snakes. A large wooden branch somehow wrapped around my waist. I felt small thorns cutting into my clothes and flesh. I searched frantically for my leaf, but it was no use. It was gone.

I tried to dispel the genjutsu, to at least recover myself and find a way to start again, but it was no use. The vine-branch around my waist tore at my bare mid-section. The vines around my ankles tore and shredded my pants as they pulled my legs apart like a wishbone. In terror I realized I was being racked, and it hurt.. A thin vine wrapped around my neck, and as it began to strangle me I tried to scream . . .

I suddenly found myself rolling on the ground clutching at my own throat. Kuranai-sensei was standing over me, offering me her hand. Trembling, I took it and she threw an arm around me to help steady me as I stood. She stayed their next to me, warm and supportive.

“I know that was difficult and painful Sakura,” she said into my ear. “Please know I would never hurt you for real. You can see now how much trust this training is going to require from both of us. The effects will pass soon.”

I had done horribly. What had I been doing for the past entire night and day?

“Sensei, I . . . I don’t think I held it even for a second.”

“Its alright Sakura. It can take even the most gifted students six months to a year to develop an anchor. Just keep working hard at it, and vary your meditation.”

“Six months!” I repeated in dismay.

Kurunai turned to stand directly in front of me, a hand on each shoulder.”

“Sakura, I know your eager to catch up with your teammates, but even Naruto’s way of training with thousands of clones would be no help here. Genjustu is about one mind. If you get this down right, you’ll be more than a match for anyone. Be patient with yourself.”

“H-how should I vary the meditation?”

“Start by location. Then, when you progress a little further, I’ll explain more about how to focus on your light and dark chakra separately, and how to use that to manipulate the mind.”

This made sense to me in a strange way. There was a common thread linking each of the different elemental chakra. All chakra, regardless of its elemental affinity, was balanced between what ninja had come to term light and dark properties. The idea of genjustu on a basic level is to disrupt this balance in an enemy. I wondered if Naruto understood this. It had taken him a while to grasp elemental properties of chakra after all. Maybe there is still a chance I could catch up to him.

“You’ve had a long day and night.” Kurunai said into my thoughts. My head snapped back up to meet her eyes as she spoke. “Take the rest of the day off, get some sleep, and then meditate the entire next day. I’ll test you every other day.”

“Okay,” I agreed with a tired sigh. I was exhausted. It was time for something to eat and a lot of sleep. As I made my way home, I remembered something Tsunade told me about Naruto. It began with a question I asked her while I was struggling with the difficult training of learning to make antidotes for various poisons in Konoha’s greenhouse. I don’t know why but I didn’t even write it down until now. This account is as detailed as I can remember it. I don’t remember the date.

“Master,” I asked. “Some of these antidotes are so complex! If you don’t have them made in advance and the patient is dying in the field, what good can we do?”

“That’s very perceptive, Sakura. There is an emergency procedure that I invented to withdraw most of a poison from the body, and I will teach it to you, but right now its far too advanced for you to learn.”

It wasn’t often that I questioned the Hokage’s training methods, but not knowing this emergency method made me useless against poisons in battle, even if I could make an antidote. I knew saving Sasuke meant going up against Ochimaru, and he preferred to strike with snake summons with all kinds of exotic venoms that could kill in minutes, or even seconds. I dropped to my knees and bowed low, placing my head just inches above the tops of my hands in the most respectful bow I could manage.

“Please teach me now, Master! I’ll learn that technique and master antidotes at the same time! I have no doubt.”

Tsunade-sama was silent for a long time. I waited nervously while my heartbeat rang in my ears. Finally, she made the “chee” sound with her mouth that she sometimes does when she gets annoyed, and I thought she would refuse for sure.

Instead she said, “You are just like him, you know”

“Huh?” I risked looking up at the strange words. “Just like who?”

My master sighed and shook her head as she took off her latex lab gloves and tossed them in a nearby wastebasket. “Like Naruto. I once told him a technique was too advanced for him. You know what he told me?”

“Probably that he would beat you up with it,” I said after a moments consideration.

My master laughed. “No, no, he already tried that. He told me he would learn it in three days. I gave him five and bet that necklace he wears. Turns out he needs it more than me anyway.”

Thinking of that necklace made me remember the day he came back with Tsunade-Sama. The day that she healed Sasuke. The day that Naruto and Sasuke fought on that rooftop, and the night Sasuke left. It had all happened so fast. In just one day my whole world, the whole reason I felt I existed at the time, came crumbling down. I relived again that horrible moment as Sasuke ignited his Chidori in a shower of blue sparks and an ear-splitting chirping noise and Naruto . . .

“Rasengan!” I gasped in startled realization. “The technique was the Rasengan.”

My master nodded. “He learned it, and the first time he used it correctly was in a real battle. He saved my life.”

I felt myself gaping at my teacher.

“Sakura Haruno,” Tsunade-sama declared in a formal tone. “I’m going to teach you my emergency poison extraction technique! Use it wisely, for I’m holding you to your word.”

“Yes Mam!” I barked.

In a month I could extract poison safely from a fish. In two, from a pig. Three months later from a horse. The next week after that, Naruto returned. The training was supposed to take two more years. The first time I used it, was on Kankuro in the Hidden Village of the Sand.

I will learn my anchor in record time too. I just need to believe like Naruto.

“Hey kid! You gotta concentrate! You’ll never master the dark chakra going all googly eyed like that all the time! What? Don’t you start ma! Keep that thing steady! Listen I know he mastered the light chakra easily but you know he needs . . . ouch!”

- The elder frog “Pa,” in a training video recording labeled “Uzumaki Kyuubi Chakra Control Training.”

From the Personal Diary of Haruno Sakura 30 March 112th Year of the Leaf

I got home late this morning utterly exhausted. I had been meditating all night in the Nara-clan’s dojo and I couldn’t decide weather to eat first or just go to sleep. I really don’t evenfeel like writing much either, but I still have a few things on my mind that I didn’t feel like putting in my training journal.

Naruto. I miss him so much. As I meditated he kept popping into my mind in different visions. I thought it might be a distraction, but there were times I could swear he was right there with me. I experienced a deeper more profound mediation while focusing all of my thoughts on him just a moment ago, and I can’t help but wonder if there is a connection I can use for my training somehow.

After a quick breakfast on some microwave breakfast rolls and toast I stripped out of my day-old clothes and stepped into the shower. I didn’t even bother to wash my hair, and just let the warm water roll down my back with my head against the far wall. After staring at dancing leaves in my mind for a whole day, it felt like gazing at a beautiful morning sunrise somewhere high in the mountains just to picture his smile. I relished in the memory of his touch, and his childlike way of looking at me as he held me close that night. I clutched my arms across my breasts and hugged myself as I turned and let the water glide down the front of my body. If I could glow I felt like I would light up Konoha for the night if I could just hold this feeling.

But it was more than a feeling. My recent extended connection to my chakra had left me very aware of its nature, and as I thought of Naruto it swirled like fire within me. It felt light and free, almost like I could use it to fly.

Why hadn’t thinking of Sasuke ever made me feel this way? I wondered. As soon as I thought of Sasuke, the chakra began to settle back to a flow that I was more familiar with within myself. As an experiment, I focused completely on Sasuke. I remembered his pearcing eyes. Not the blood red Sharingan, but his real eyes. Those dark and shimmering eyes were the ones that had captivated me back then. It was those eyes that I felt could always see right through me.

I remembered the way he confidently held himself. It was a confidence I so badly wanted to be a part of. I could almost still hear the amusement in his voice even as he called me annoying, or see the way he would brighten when I would cheer him in his rivalry with Naruto. The “thank you” as he left that day . . .

The last thought caused a cold feeling in my stomach. Sasuke is still out there somewhere. Konoha got an anonymous tip from “a friend of Sasuke’s” that he was now with the masked Akatsuki member, training. It makes a little sense I suppose, since Kakashi-sensei says the mystery ninja definitely was a Sharingan user. I just still can’t believe that Sasuke might go so far as to join Akatsuki.

These thoughts caused my chakra to feel heavy and slow. I was cold, but I felt like I could crush s diamond in my bare hands. I wonder if this is what Kurunai-sensei meant when she mentioned teaching me how to manipulate light and dark chakra.

I went back to thinking about Naruto the re

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the Personal Diary of Haruno Sakura 30 March 112th Year of the Leaf Continued

I awoke to a pounding on my door. It was a distant thudding that annoyed me in my sleep like an alarm clock after hitting snooze for the third or fourth time. I pulled a pillow over my head but it was no use. That pig Ino is just too good at making a ruckus.

When I opened the door I was actually surprised to see her standing there. I had no idea what time it was. I hadn’t bothered to check, but the gloom outside and the rumbling in my stomach told me it must be dinner time, and around dusk. I had slept the better part of the day.

“What do you want Ino?” I grumbled grouchily. “I was awake all last night for training. We have these mission rest signs to put on our doors for a reason you know.”

She waved me off as she pushed the door open the rest of the way and brushed past me into the room. She was carrying something in two plastic bags, and it smelled good.

“Yeah, Yeah, Sakura, whatever,” my blond rival said with a sigh. “You know you need to get up now or you won’t be back on a proper sleep cycle to train tomorrow.”

“I-Ino!” I complained, making a grab for her arm and missing. The action made me have to adjust my night shirt to keep the loose fitting garment from sliding off my shoulder. “I’m not even dressed! What are you . . .”

I narrowed my eyes at her as she proceeded to make herself at home, tossing the bags on the counter of my small kitchen. She was fully dressed in her usual purple and black kunoichi gear. I wondered vaguely why she was here, especially if she had a mission soon or was just now returning from one. It as only then that I noticed the smell of dumplings and perhaps some kind of curry emanating from the direction of the bags. My stomach growled loudly enough for Ino to hear easily. She looked over her shoulder at me and smirked.

“Such a temper as always, Sakura. Well, if you don’t want to share in this food I brought, I’m sure Choji would . . .”

I didn’t let that stupid pig say another word.

“I didn’t say that!” I snapped as I pushed myself past Ino and grabbed a spring roll with my hands while I got out some dishes to prepare a table.”

I ate with reckless abandonment. I forgot to even say, “Itadakimasu” and I didn’t even care that Ino kept comparing me to Choji and teasing me that maybe we would make a good couple. I’ve learned to ignore Ino fairly well over the years, but what she said next nearly made me choke on a dumpling.

“What would Naruto say if he saw you like this? He may dump you and then I would have to deal with all your emotional baggage again.”

I had to hit myself on the chest to clear my airway, and as I coughed and wheezed Ino rolled her eyes and pushed my glass of water toward me. She grabbed a spear of barbequed pork and began to nibble on it with a bemused look on her face.

“How?” I coughed. “How did you know?”

“Oh - come - on – Sakura!” Ino said with a laugh. “You throw a going away party for him at the hospital and don’t even show up yourself, but then I see you leaving the next morning? You’re so easy to read. Besides, even someone like Sai could tell that you had it bad for that noisy troublemaker.”

I stared at Ino for a long moment. “Sai said that?”

Ino nodded enthusiastically, then pursed her lips and put a finger to them, signaling me that she was trying to remember exactly how the conversation went.

“Well, his exact words were something like ‘I think Sakura wants to have sexual intercourse with Naruto, but how will she do that when he doesn’t have a kitten?”

“Oh, he’s got a kitten all right,” I scoffed. I had said it without even thinking.

I drank the water slowly, and tried unsuccessfully not to blush. Ino stared at me open mouthed for a moment before bursting out laughing. She rolled off her small cushion by the table and onto her back with laughter. I was blushing harder than ever now, and I tried to escape by getting up to clean off the table. Ino intercepted me, crawling forward on all fours and chuckling as she studied me.

“So . . tee hee . . so its true then? You really did . . .”

“It’s none of your business.” I said matter-of-factly.

Ino took a deep, noisy breath. The sound was both excited and curious at once.

“You did!” Ino exclaimed as she brought her clasped hands to the side of her cheek. “Ooooh! You have to tell me everything! How did it . . .”

“I said its none of your business,” I repeated with a cold edge to my voice. I began loading the dishes into the dishwasher noisily to emphasize my serious mood. “The relationship

between Naruto and I must remain strictly professional. You understand, right, Ino?” I stopped what I was doing and looked her directly in the eye as I waited for a response.

Ino made a sour face, but relented.

“Fine, Fine.” she said with a sigh. “If that’s the way you want it.” She studied me for a moment, twirling her long, blond ponytail absentmindedly with the finger of one hand. Her eyes had many questions in them, but they were serious ones beyond her sexual curiosity, so I returned to the dishes. I could feel her eyes on me though a she asked the one thing I dreaded talking about the most.

“You really do love him, don’t you Sakura?”

I didn’t want to answer her. The conversation was just making me miss him again.

“With all my heart,” I said.

Ino sighed. It was a long and dreamy sounding one, and it almost made me laugh.

“I really am envious of you then.”

I smiled. For Ino to admit that to me must have been like shaving her head.

“But all this reminds me,” my platinum-haired rival said, as she immediately regained her composure. “I saw your mother today.”

“Huh?” My blood ran cold at the mention of one of my parents. I still hadn’t seen them since my birthday. Ino must have seen something in my expression, because she leaned over my kitchen counter with great interest.

“I knew it!” she declared. “Your mother is worried about you again. Every time this happens she comes into the shop to make small talk, but I can tell when I’m being interrogated.”

I sighed deeply. “What did she want?” I moaned.

“Well, she bought some flowers that she said were for your dad, and then she wanted all the gossip on boys you and I had been interested in. Then she wondered if I knew anything about when . . .” Ino stopped. She put her hand to her mouth and I could tell she was holding her last inhalation.

“What?” I asked. “What is it?”

“She knows about you and Naruto, doesn’t she?”

This surprised me enough that I couldn’t help but ask, “She was asking about Naruto?”

Ino nodded. “Mmmm-hmmm. She wanted to know roughly where he went, how long he was going to be gone and all that. I didn’t know myself and its all classified of course, so I couldn’t tell her anything. Why would she want to know all that? What’s she worried about?”

This conversation was already well past my comfort zone, but now it had crossed too far.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” I said as I brushed past Ino into my living room.

“Does your father know too?”

“Ino, did you hear what I just said?”

“Holy crap! He does!”

“Ino, please leave. I just want to be alone for a while.”

My annoying blond friend placed herself in front of me as I searched for the TV remote.

“Sakura,” she said with genuine concern. “Tell me what happened. You’ve never been able to hide your feelings when something was bothering you, you know? For once could you not be so stubborn and just talk to me?”

“Its nothing.” I said. “Really, Ino. I just made the mistake of mentioning I had a boyfriend now. Naturally my mom wanted to know who. End of story.”

Ino furrowed her brow at me. “No its not,” she said.

She peered at me, as if trying to pull the truth right from my brain. I really wanted her to leave now, but that Ino really is pig-headed sometimes, and I knew short of tossing her out myself she wasn’t going to leave. She gasped as if she had indeed figured out what it was I didn’t want to deal with at the moment. Then she startled me by leaning down next to my stomach and poking me gently there.

“You’re not pregnant are you?”

I felt my temperature rise. This had gone on long enough, and the implications that I might look fat enough to be pregnant made me snap.

“Do I look pregnant to you, Ino pig! It’s been over four months since he left, I wouldn’t be able to hide it any longer if I was! Now go home already! I have another long day tomorrow.”

“I can’t go yet.” Ino said with a smirk.

“Yes you can. It’s easy. Just walk through that door over there.”

“But I haven’t given you your birthday present yet.”

I immediately felt sheepish. I had completely forgotten. I had been so busy that Ino wouldn’t have even had a chance to see me in the two days since my birthday. So this was more than just her being nice by bringing me dinner after all. It was a belated birthday dinner. I smiled at her and sat down on the couch.

From her belt pouch she produced a small green box wrapped in blue ribbon. There was a small envelope of the same aqua blue color attached. It was the kind of gift women get excited about. The best stuff tends to come in small boxes. I think I might have actually squealed like a little girl again, not that I would admit it to anyone.

Ino watched as I opened the box eagerly. Inside was a pair of gold stud earrings. They were beautiful. A smiled at Ino as I began to try one on.

“Thank you very much Ino,” I said. “They’re very pretty.”

Ino made an exasperated grunt and folded her arms in a signal of impatience.

“Read the card you dope!” she commanded at last. “Geez, what kind of person opens the presents without reading the card anyway?”

Ino had turned her face away from me in annoyance, but I could tell she was peeking at me as I read the card out loud for both of us.

Sakura,

Before Asuma-Sensei died he gave our team a special gift when our team all became Chunin. They were silver earrings similar to these. They were to symbolize that wherever we went, whoever we ended up teaming up with, we would always be together in spirit. I’m not very good with words, but I wanted you to know I felt the same way about you. So, wear one of these golden earrings and I’ll wear the other. You are like a sister too me.

Ino

I regarded my rival with tears in my eyes. I almost couldn’t finish reading the note as my voice began to waiver and crack. It was just like when we were kids, before stupid concerns like

boys got in the way. I had no idea Ino could still be so sentimental. I put the earring on right away.

“Ino . . .” I began. “You . . .this means a lot.”

“Don’t kid yourself into thinking this means we’re equals,” Ino said grabbing the other and putting it in a second hole in her own right ear. “I’ll still top you in a fight any time, and I’ll surpass you in medical skills soon too.”

Even though I was extremely touched, I wasn’t going to just let her ramble on and ruin the moment.

“Ino?” I said.

“What?”

“Shut up.”

“Right,” she said with a little giggle. “Well, I guess I will be going now, then. Happy Birthday Sakura. And don’t you dare become to busy for . . .”

“My father . . .” I interrupted. I had decided to tell her. It was more like I needed to tell her. I had just realized a moment ago that if there was anyone I could talk to in the whole world about what I truly feared right now, it was this annoying blond. “My father will never accept my feelings for Naruto.”

It took Ino a moment to register what it was I was telling her. And when she realized I was indeed talking to her about what was upsetting me she sat next to me on my old sofa. I was pleased to see her concern was genuine, and it encouraged me to continue.

“You . . . you know about my aunt, right?” I asked.

Ino nodded. “Of course. Everyone knows your aunt Rin was the one who . . . oh!”

I nodded at Ino as the serious of the situation began to take shape in her mind.

“That’s right,” I said. “And she was killed in the Kyuubi’s attack.”

“I see,” said Ino. “So then when your father found out you were dating him . . .”

“He forbade it, yes.”

Ino folded her arms confidently. “Hmph. So what? You’re seventeen now and a Special Jonin. You can do as you please.”

“Ino,” I explained. “He can still make life very difficult for me. My relationship with my parents is strained as it is. You know that.”

Ino sighed and nodded. “Yeah. I know.”

She patted my knee. “So talk to him then.”

“Huh? Ino, its not that simple.”

“Sure it is!” Ino beamed. “Does he know how much you love Naruto?”

“Well, no,” I admitted somberly. “But it doesn’t make a difference.”

“Well sure it does!” Ino cried, throwing her hands out in a wide gesture and then clasping them underneath her chin to make the most pitiful puppy dog face she could manage.

“Remember, you’re still daddy’s little girl. Never underestimate the power of cuteness and tears on a daddy!”

I laughed. “Thanks Ino. You’re probably right. I should talk to him. I . . .I just don’t know if I’m ready yet.”

Ino tilted her head and smiled. Then her face went passive as she thought of something.

“Its hurting your training isn’t it?”

How could she know that? I wondered. I pressed my lips tightly together. I wasn’t going to admit my training struggles to her.

“Come on Sakura, I know it is. Shikamaru was the one who told me you were meditating all day in his family’s dojo. Besides, no one’s a better expert at meditation than me.”

“You?” I snorted. I didn’t want to laugh at her at a moment like this, but the thought of that woman quieting her mind was just ludicrous to me.

“Of course!” Ino said, looking a little stung. “How else do you think I learned the mind-transfer jutsu at the youngest age ever for my family?”

I bowed my head, feeling a little foolish.

“Its not that far removed from normal genjustu you know, except the beauty of it is that you don’t need an anchor for mind transfer or mind control techniques because you are dominating the motor centers of the mind completely with your own will. It’s very advanced.”

I smiled at Ino, and for once I didn’t try to compete with her pride. Maybe I could really learn something from her. I had been helping her with the medical ninjustu, so in my mind it was a fair exchange. I decided to yield to her experience.

“I know it is, Ino.”

Her reaction was priceless. I should surprise her by being nice to her ego more often.

“And yeah, I guess it is effecting my meditation a little.”

Ino smiled. “You just need to confront this and put the worry out of your mind. When you have no worries is when you find your center the fastest.”

“Thanks Ino,” I said. “In any case, I feel talking about it with you has helped a lot.”

Ino nodded and looked into my eyes. We shared a moment that was beyond the need for words. It was the comfort and understanding of best friends . . . of sisters. I couldn’t let her leave without a hug, though I think we both understood that as far as the rest of the world was concerned such a moment never existed. But here in my heart, it will live forever.

Ok - here are three and four! I hate double posting, so at least one cool post like the last one will cause me to add the next two chapter, and so on!

I'm glad you all are liking this.

#10 Simusar

Simusar

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:19 PM

love your story, hope you update soon smile.gif

#11 Anewhope2

Anewhope2

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 08:31 PM

I like it so far, thank goodness you don't follow the sequel curse.. I can't wait for more.

#12 Travis

Travis

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 02:39 AM

QUOTE (Anewhope2 @ Jun 23 2008, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like it so far, thank goodness you don't follow the sequel curse.. I can't wait for more.

Thanks for the comments guys, and I'm glad you are enjoying this. I need to check these boards more often - the story is out to CH 10 after all! lol.

“One to rule nations, One to serve them. Both to protect them.
Where flame stands off against earth and water
Brothers to the end.”
-Inscription on a tourist viewing Platform Plaque, Valley of the end

From the Training Journal of Haruno Sakura, 13 April 112th Year of the Leaf

I’ve been reviewing my progress at holding an anchor for genjustu over the last two weeks, and every journal entry tells nearly the same story. My meditation steadily became more focused as I experimented with different locations, both indoors and outdoors. I meditated at home, on top of the Hokage mansion, on top of Mt. Konoha overlooking the village, on top of the hospital, at training ground three, and even that bench near the village gates. They were all places with memories, connections to my past, and yet somehow I felt them lacking. I don’t think the past is a place one can exist for long, no matter how safe it feels.

My trials with Kurenai-sensei at the Nara Dojo have only proven more difficult. Even though I can hold my anchor now for nearly three and a half minutes, I feel like I am constantly on the run. I dread being locked in a mental battle with her. She doesn’t always come at me with physical pain either. Twice I have been transported to places in my past. I can handle a false Sasuke in mortal danger, but reliving the night he left, forcing me to go through that again, I had to turn away. I didn’t care about the stupid leaf anymore.

The second time was today, and it was particularly brutal. I was returned to the first time I saw the horrible power that lay within Naruto. The bubbling beastly black form of a Naruto with four tails battled Ochimaru with terrifying power. The battle reshaped the landscape itself. It as real as it had been almost two years ago. I knew better than to run toward him in a four tailed state this time, especially sense I was trying to keep my concentration on my anchor. But this time Naruto came after me. His demon form struck at me faster than I could move. Yamato and Kabuto were no where to be found. I was suddenly on my own, just me against the Kyuubi. No amount of crying or begging was going to affect Naruto in that state. It was in that moment of feeling helplessness, that I lost my anchor once again. It was like something out of a nightmare. All the while, I was vaguely aware that Kurenai’s trees were always present, as they were the only thing that did not feel quite right about the landscape of the memory.

“Good!” Kurenai-sensei said as we returned to the reality of the quite and calm little dojo. “You are starting to recognize my own anchor within the reality I build for you. Three minutes and forty two seconds that time. A new record.”

“Sensei,” I said darkly as I wiped fresh tears from my eyes. “Stay out of my memories from now on, please.”

Kurenai shrugged. “I’m not doing anything except using what you give me Sakura.”

“I don’t understand.” I told her.

“Believe it or not, Sakura, I’ve been going easy on you. All I have been doing is stimulating emotions of regret, remorse, or fear. The memories drawn forth as a result are yours. Once you do that, they become mine to control. Think back to your meditation sessions. Have you been dismissing your emotions in order to center yourself, or flowing with them?”

It was a simple question, but one that was difficult to answer. I wondered what she meant by flowing with my emotions. When I did not answer for several moments, Kurenai-sensei continued after a heavy sigh and a shake of her head.

“I take it you either don’t know or aren’t sure. Let me tell you I can tell that you’ve been repressing them, shoving them out of the way in your search for peace and focus. Sound like anyone you know?”

My thoughts immediately jumped to my other teammate, Sai, who had been trained since he was very small to repress and eliminate his emotions. Kurenai saw that I had realized who she was referring to.

“You should know,” my teacher explained, “that members of Root are particularly susceptible to genjustu, thought they would never admit it to themselves. A truly balanced mind harmonizes with the heart, it does not dismiss it.”

“And, I’m not balanced?” I asked. I knew there were things bothering me, but not to the extent that I could not reach a balance within myself. I began to wonder if I had been doing things all wrong this whole time.

“You have a lot of fear remorse stimulating the chakra in certain areas of the brain, Sakura. I can see it as bright as a beacon when I connect with your mind. You want to control that flow by allowing your emotions to come to the surface at a controlled rate. That means you have to be aware of and accept all of them. The more uniform and balanced the chakra flow through your brain, the less I will be able to exploit it, and the stronger your anchor will become.”

I thought of Ino and the conversation we had two weeks ago.

“Be aware of and accept my emotions.” I thought out loud. “By talking about them?”

“That is a good method,” Kurenai-sensei confirmed. “It helps with awareness. But harmony must come from within.”

My frustration began to boil over. “Why am I just being told all this now!”

“There’s a difference between being told something and understanding. If I had told you this right from the beginning, you would not have understood.”

“So I need to meditate with my greatest fears in mind?”

“And your greatest joy. Think of a place and time where you can do both.”

Realization began to dawn on me. “This has to do with light and dark chakra, doesn’t it.”

Kurenai nodded approvingly. “One step at a time, Sakura.”

I went home feeling very fatigued as usual, but this time I had a new purpose in mind.

After I get some rest I will being requesting a leave of absence from Tsunade-sama. I can only think of one place where both my greatest fear and my greatest joy last collided. I need to see that place for myself, I’m sure of it. I just need to make a few preparations. I’m not looking forward to all of them.

From the Personal Diary of Haruno Sakura 14 April 112th Year of the Leaf

My father is always tinkering with something. He runs Konoha’s largest construction company, and he could sit back and let others do all the work if he wanted. Still he prefers to work with his hands. He says it makes work more meaningful to him. He is not satisfied just fixing things either, he always is trying to build something new and useful; something nobody has ever seen before. My mother tolerates this obsession as an unavoidable hobby, but to my father its serious business. Its serious business to us too on those occasions when he almost blows up the house or electrocutes himself.

I found him in his workshop, trying to get his latest invention to work. Its usually a smart idea to stay out of the workshop when he is in there unless you are wearing a helmet and eye protection, but I needed to catch him at a moment when he would be alone and I didn’t have the time to properly suit up
The workshop was really nothing more than an extension my father had built onto the house, and I found him busy with a welding torch and a thick metal plate covering his face. He was working on welding together what looked like two halves of a crude looking little metal man.

I waited behind him until the torch was simply hissing quietly, and then said, “Hi, daddy.”

My father turned and lifted up his face plate, revealing a dirty and grime covered mug. He smiled and his white teeth gleamed in contrast.

“Sakura!” he said cheerfully. “What a nice surprise! Oooh, I bet you came to see it, didn’t you? Ah . . . I told your mother it wasn’t quite ready yet. But look! You’re just in time for a test run.”
I knew my father was excited because it was the most I had heard him say in quite a while. I couldn’t see the face of the little metal man, but it had a drum shaped torso and lampshade shaped head. It had arms that looked like they were extendable or flexible vacuum cleaner attachments and treads in place of legs or feet. It was the most ridiculous thing I had ever seen. I decided to humor my father.

“What . . . What is it?”

“This,” my father said turning the little man toward me. “Is my greatest invention!”

I sighed in my own mind. It was always his greatest invention, until it ended up reducing the workshop to splinters or shutting down three blocks of power in Konoha. This invention had camera lenses for eyes and a trapezoidal speaker for a mouth.

“I call him, Shigoto-boto! The household work robot!”

“Ro . . .bot?” I repeated. “What’s a robot?”

“Bah! You’re just like your mom, Sakura.” my dad said. “Living under a rock.. Just because you live in a hidden village doesn’t mean you need to keep yourself hidden from the conveniences of the modern world. Robotics is the most advanced technological field in the world, and I’ve created a masterpiece. Watch!”
My father flipped a switch somewhere on the back of the thing. It whirred and beeped, its little lampshade head rotating back and forth as it took in its surroundings.

“Boto. Sort. Laundry.”

Dad’s workshop also housed the laundry room. This was sometimes an annoyance for my mother. The little man made a small beep and rolled over to a basket of dirty laundry. It began to sort the items by color, using clamp like hands at the end of its arms.

“You’re mother will love that,” my father beamed. “He’ll do all sorts of things.”

I had to admit I was curious about the thing. I had almost even forgotten why I had come here in the first place. Almost.

“How does it work?” I asked. “Is it similar to a puppet jutsu, but automatic?”
My father made an exasperated noise.

“You see, this is what I’m talking about. We have television, camera’s, short range and long range radio, and computers right here in the hidden village itself. Ninja didn’t invent these things. We also have the latest in medical equipment, and tons of electric power, but we act like the world runs on chakra. We could benefit from technology more, you know. Like why do we still send birds for messages when outside our happy little hidden ninja homes I can go pick up something called a telephone and talk to someone in the Earth country!”

“We trust the ancient ways to keep our messages secure, I suppose.” I said.

I didn’t know why I was allowing myself to be drawn into this argument. My father has always been interested in the way the people we served went about their business. More so than most Ninja. I was out of my league. I decided to try and change the subject.

Here goes, I thought.

“And Dad, I actually came here because . . .”

“Oh no! Shigoto-boto stop! Boto. Stop!”

During my father’s rant we had both paid the little robot no mind. Now it had taken it upon itself to find other things to sort. For some reason it decided it should sort some of the raw materials and tools that had went into its construction. With an extendable arm it had reached up onto the work bench and thrown greasy rags, screwdrivers, and other pieces of metal into the laundry bin. It was about to toss in the arc welder, and it was lit. We watched in slow motion as the dirty rags in the basket of clothes caught fire. I ran for a fire extinguisher. The smoke alarm went off.

When the smoke cleared and I finally had the fire out, we were left with a melted basket and charred black clothes crumbling to ash. My mother bust into the workshop with her ears covered and coughing. She took one look at the charred laundry remains and understood what had happened.

“Jin Haruno!” she yelled as my father looked for some place to hide.

I sighed. I decided right then wouldn’t be the best time to talk to my father after all. I don’t suppose I’ll get a chance until after I get back from my leave of absence. I could postpone it a day, but the Hokage and Kurenai-sensei are already expecting me to leave in the morning. It would be bad protocol to waste their time, especially when I know how short handed we are at the moment. Three days shouldn’t be too long to wait.

From the Training Journal of Haruno Sakura, 16 April 112th Year of the Leaf

It took me nearly a full day to reach this place. I stopped for six hours of sleep after traveling by treetop most of the way. Tsunade-sama and Kurunai-sensei had even asked why I wanted to come here. Perhaps they didn’t need to. I was hoping to get a reading from at least one of them if they thought I might find answers here, but their expressions were so unimpressed I might as well have been out shopping for souvenirs.

The Valley of the End. What a magnificent place it is! The majesty of the falls between the statues made me feel small and insignificant. I still feel small and insignificant when I compare myself to Naruto and Sasuke. That's what this training is about; protecting them.

The two of them did battle in this place. Naruto still won’t talk about it. All I know is what Kakashi-sensei told me about the sate he found Naruto in. I often wonder what I would I have done-what could I have done- had I been there. Probably nothing, but I think it may still be my greatest regret.

I'm not even sure what I'm doing here, only that it was just a feeling I had. Light and dark chakra, making genjutsu my personal art, becoming a master of my mind. It all pointed to this place somehow. It was as if the Sakura trees that lined the river on the way up the canyon to these famous falls were the ones calling me to this place, beckoning me in full bloom as the warm spring winds hit them. This place resonates with strange chakra, it swirls in eddies like the water as if some eternal battle was still being fought in this place between the two giant ninja statues. This day I would find my place among giants. I was sure of it.

I closed my eyes and breathed deep. It was time to begin. I kicked off my shoes and set
the backpack I had with me down on the riverbank. I looked around, making sure I was indeed completely alone, and shed my kimono and undergarments. I changed quickly into the hot pink bikini swimsuit I had brought with me. I have been told that one piece suits don’t handle too well for this type of meditation, and that I shouldn’t expect the top to stay on either.

I walked slowly out onto the calm waters of the pool beneath the falls, the backpack slung over my shoulder. A misty spray formed several rainbows in front of me as I drew closer to the roaring falls. Walking on the water I found a place where the downpour was minimal, and discovered a small dry enclave behind the falls. I set the bag down there and mentally prepared myself for training. At last I stood at the threshold of a cascading wall of water. I extended my chakra control outward, and stood under the water.

The force of the water was impressive. If I didn’t keep excellent posture and chakra control I could be crushed. I knew this meditation might have some dangers, but I don’t think I was truly prepared for this force of nature. My bikini top was almost immediately swiped from me, and I had to let it go, just like the troubles of my mind. I closed my eyes and concentrated.

I held my arms straight out to the sides, and traced a large circle in the ir in front of me before pressing my hands together in front of my chest as if I were praying. I concentrated on every drop of water. Time slowed. The water droplets were together as much as they were separate. I felt them on my fingertips, my shoulders, the small of my back, the tips of my breasts. The water was light and soft while at the same time they were heavy and hard. I felt hate, I felt fear. I felt resolve. I felt harmony. I felt peace. I felt regret. I felt despair. I felt . . .

I opened my eyes. It was all here. It swirled together inside me like the eddies at the bottom of the falls. The water rushed around me but the wind called to me. I called upon my leaf, my anchor. It danced for me in the currents before me, and eased the crushing pressure of the water. It vanished from site, but my focus remained. The wind rushed to me as the water flowed away from me, and then I saw them. They were carried from the orchard farther up stream.

Rose colored petals so perfect and smooth drifted lazily on the wind. They carried with them the answer that had always been there, but had somehow seemed superficial. Hope.

The Sakura petals multiplied when I asked them to, and they swirled around me in a beautiful pink cyclone. My chakra exploded outward, and I swear I felt the pounding water part and give me space. I exhaled deeply, and stepped out of the falls. I basked in the noon-day sun, letting it warm my bare skin as I smiled at the heavens. I had my anchor.

It was in this moment of clarity that I realized I was no longer alone.

Brothers, Cousins, Uchiha! Heed my words! You place your fate in the hands of men who would just as soon betray you and destroy you! Do not be fools! Stay with those you can trust! Trust in my wisdom, my power, and the Uchiha will rule this land!

-Madara Uchiha to the Uchiha Council, One Year before the Leaf

After Action Combat Report - Debriefing 18 April 112th Year of the Leaf -
Ninja Team: Haruno, Sakura Event Type: Ambush Event Rank: A
Classification: SECRET - RELEASABLE TO THE VILLAGE OF THE SAND

I had just finished training when I detected a slight chakra fluctuation that was not my own. It was impatient and angry, and the hair on the back of my neck stood on end. I ducked back behind the waterfall where I had been meditating and into the small enclave where I had stored my gear. There was a chance whoever it was had not seen me, and I wanted to keep it that way. I might have mistaken the change in the environment for a tourist, as they sometimes frequent this location, but I was certain I had felt this chakra - this horrible angry and broken chakra before. If he was here, then he was not likely to be alone.

I dressed hastily, taking the time only to put on my black combat type bra an equipment belt. I threw the backpack over my shoulders and took a moment to plan my next action. At best, I knew I needed to spot the enemy before they spotted me, at worse they were waiting strategically for me to come out of the enclave, where I would be an easy target on the open water. Unfortunately it was the latter.

I was just starting to climb the wet rocks behind the waterfall when someone got impatient with me and decided I needed to be encouraged to show myself. The whole earth around me began to shake as if it were an earthquake. I heard an angry howl from far above me, and from the noise I could visualize my attacker pounding the cliffs above with inhuman strength to start a rock slide. The rocks around me began to crack and tumble. I knew there was no sense in trying to stay hidden any longer. It would only get me buried alive.

I burst forth from the falls out onto the open water, my fists swelling with chakra as I searched for a target.

I found three. A big man above and behind me at the top of the cliffs, a pointy-teethed swordsman on the riverbank, and a cocky red headed female in front of me. I had researched them thoroughly after our last encounter. They called themselves team Hebi, and they were loyal to Sasuke. It was figuring out exactly who Sasuke was loyal to anymore that was the hard part.

I doubted somehow that they had come to discuss such mysteries politely, and decided a quick offense was the best defense, especially since it was three on one. I loaded more chakra in my right hand and charged down the river at Karin, who just stood their smiling sweetly. She gave me a little wave just before the silver haired swordsman known as Suigetsu cut me off in a blur of motion. I leapt over his initial horizontal cut and somersaulted behind him. The impact of my landing caused a splash big enough to wet us both, but I managed to keep enough balancing chakra going that I didn’t sink under the rippling waves. I ducked low and swept my leg at both of his, hoping to topple him, but he leapt nimbly in the air and turned in one motion. He held his sword aloft and prepared to bring it down on me full force.

This was a mistake in my mind. He wouldn’t be able to dodge effectively in freefall and my next blow would crush both him and his sword. But I should have known his weapon was no ordinary sword. It just absorbed the impact of my intercepting punch. The recoil was impressive. I was sent skipping across the water like a stone.

Before I could recover completely, Karin was on me. She descended on me from above as I struggled to stand on unsteady waters. In her left hand she pointed a kunai for a killing thrust, in her right hand she twirled a net above her head. She threw the net and I saw it crackle with paralyzing energy.

I realized two things in that moment. The first was that their intent was to capture, not kill me. The second was that the combination between the two had been rehearsed, and would have worked if I was on dry land. The only way to go was down, into the murky blue depths of the Destiny River.

I cut the chakra holding me on the surface of the river and dove into the water. I removed my backpack and used its weight to help me dive faster, clearing my ears with a slight yawn. I needed to reach the bottom as quickly as possible. As long as I was submerged with nothing under my feet, I was at an extreme disadvantage. Underwater, the sound of the falls was multiplied to my right, reaching me as a muffled thunderous roar. It almost drowned out the whooshing sound of the danger following me into the depths.

Suigetsu had summoned ten long chakra eels. His silhouette above still had his palms pressed against the water. They darted through the water with blinding speed. I touched the bottom just as the first one reached me, and I swung the arm with the bag up to defend myself from an open maw full of jagged teeth. The bag tore free of my hand, its flap coming open and the contents spilling out into the lazy currents.

I made a desperate grab for anything I could save as I pirouetted underwater to avoid the missile like bite of a second eel. I came up with a single scroll in my right hand.

I cried out in pain as a third eel latched onto an ankle and began to wind itself around my leg. The eels made an eerie siren call in the water as they seemed to sense victory. I kicked the one off my leg with my free foot, and then grabbed another by the tail as it darted by. I swung this eel in a wide arc so that it impacted viciously with three of its comrades and they went sailing toward the surface in a bubbly tangle of light blue glowing chakra.

I pocketed the scroll in my pouch and bunched chakra in my legs and in my right hand.

“Shanarro!” I cried in a bubble-filled underwater voice as I launched myself toward the first target I could see. I felt the rocky bottom give way and crater with a tremendous shake of the earth as I propelled myself through the water. I don’t think Karin saw me coming until it was nearly too late.

As I breached the surface like a dolphin, she did something to me that I still can’t explain. I had enough of a strike prepared to knock her unconscious, but somehow she suppressed the chakra in my hand just before I connected. Could she not only detect and identify me by my chakra, as Kakashi-sensei’s research encounter with her indicated, but also somehow suppress it? This would be very useful in Ochimaru’s laboratories. I still connected under her chin with a satisfying thwack that lifted her off her feet and sent her head first into the river as I continued upward. It felt good. I’d wanted to do that for a long time.

I was almost at the pinnacle of my vertical motion when I became aware of Suigetsu suddenly appearing behind and above me with his sword held high. There was nothing I could do to avoid his mighty cut, and I watched in fascination as my body was split in two.

Sometimes the old tricks are still the best. As the two halves of my log replacement body fell away, I feared team Hebi might have the intent to kill me after all. Still, Karin didn’t sound too happy with Suigetsu as she cursed him from below for being careless.

I heard the former mist ninja utter the word “replacement” as if it where a swear word as the white smoke from my justsu cleared and I planted my feet on his shoulders. I kicked out hard, sending Suigetsu into the river with a tremendous splash and propelling myself even higher into the air. I had aimed for the cliffs, intending to run for high ground, but I had momentarily forgotten about the deranged source of the cursed seal, Jugo.

The brute ran along the side of the cliff, using centripetal force and his chakra to keep him attached. He leapt at me and tackled me in mid air. His breath made me wretch as he began to transform and we tumbled into the river in a mess of arms and limbs.

He was huge and smothering compared to my tiny frame, and I gritted my teeth as his bear hug began to make my joints pop. I attempted to head butt him off of me, and he responded with a snarl, but his grip did loosen. A right hook connected with the side of my rib cage as he pushed away. I heard several ribs crack, and I knew that was one injury that was going to take a while to repair.

Then the eels were on me again. One sunk its teeth into my wrist as it wrapped itself around my torso, binding my arms to my body. I screamed a gargled scream as two more bound my legs. Finally, a third wrapped itself securely around my throat. I cursed as I tried in vain to reach the scroll in my pouch with the fingertips of my left hand. I was sinking, and soon, I would be drowning.
Before that happened I was treated to a tremendous electric shock as all four eels binding me pulsed. I screamed again, and then I blacked out.

I awoke moments later bobbing on the surface of the water like a fisherman’s lure. I was still held fast by the eels. The numbing pain of electric shock let me know that I was still alive. My captures stood around me on the water.

Karin knelt down to look me in the eye when she noticed I was awake.

“Well, Well, that was quite a fight you gave us,” mocked Karin. “Totally rude of you though, we just wanted to ask you some questions.”

“Go to hell!” I croaked at her.

I screamed as another jolt of electricity coursed through my nerves. Panting, I glanced at the
hungry looking maws of two eels poised dangerously over my head. The message was clear. At Suigetsu’s command, they could tear my head clean off. Jugo was back in his normal form, but his eyes still glowed with demonic intensity and impatience. It wasn’t long before he was unable to restrain himself.

“Give back Sasuke!” he roared.

Karin made an annoyed sigh as she glanced up at her brutish companion.

“I said let me do the talking you witless freak of nature!” she snarled.

Then in a sweet tone she said, “We just want the same thing as you, you see. Tell us where Sasuke is. I know you know.”

“How the hell should I know where he is,” I spat. “If I did, I wouldn’t be here!”

“Don’t play dumb with us!” Suigetsu interjected. “You know what’s hidden here don’t you?”

Suigetsu emphasized his words by having his eels squeeze me tighter. One of them hissed near my ear. I was almost impressed with their lifelike quality, but I was more concerned about finding a way out of this mess. I struggled to move my left hand at all. If I could just get my side pouch open . . .

“I was here to train and relax,” I said truthfully. “You think I always run solo missions in swimsuits?”

Suigetsu harrumphed and folded his arms, indicating he wouldn’t believe me even if what I told them made sense. This was bad. If the truth wouldn’t convince them . . .

“Perhaps you hoped to entice Sasuke to come home with you like that,” Karin said with a smile that sickened me. “Don’t think it would have worked very well with that stick figure of a body of yours.”

I wanted to punch her. Again. And much harder this time. She seemed to read this in my gaze, and absent-mindedly rubbed her jaw. I tried to shuffle my legs to see if I could get my pouch to ride any higher on my hip, but it was no use.

“Struggling won’t do any good,” Suigetsu said politely. “And you’ll only make them mad. Better start talking, they’re getting hungry.”

I decided not to bother telling him his chakra summoned pets weren’t like real summons and didn’t have feelings, but it gave me an idea. If I could just shift the Mist-swordsman’s concentration, even a little . . .

“Fine,” I said in mock defeat. “But I warn you, Sasuke warned me that you three would show up someday. Believe me when I say he’s not going to be pleased that you found him. He’s likely to kill you all. Especially you, Jugo. You annoy him.”

Jugo stared acidly at me and ground his teeth loud enough that I could actually hear the crunching noise. Karin’s other personality broke in, and she slapped me.

“Liar!” she screamed. “You’re just a jealous little whore!”

“You don’t have to believe me,” I said calmly. “But Sasuke finally rid himself of that cursed mark, and now he doesn’t want Jugo anywhere near him.”

I was grasping at rumors now. It was a dangerous game, lying to your captures. If this rumor was false and their information was better than mine . . .

Jugo bought it.

“Sasuke!” he bellowed. “No! He promised!”

Suigetsu stepped back in fear as Jugo began to transform, his facial features distorting as the cursed mark spread its black splotchy pattern over his face and body. The grip of the eels loosened only slightly. There was plenty of blood oozing from the bite on my wrist. It was all I needed.

“Summoning jutsu!” My voice rang out down the canyon, and a giant white pillar of smoke filled the valley, obscuring everything. When it finally cleared, I relished in the awed and terrified faces of my enemies. Even the manic Jugo looked stunned and uncertain about what to do.

“Hello Katsuya-sama.” I said weakly as I began to heal my ribs. The eels had snapped and vanished completely. “Sorry to bring you into this, but I was having a bit of trouble with these three.”

“Oh! Hello, Sakura-chan.” The Matriarch of Slugs said wistfully. “I don’t mind. Is this the Valley of the End? It’s beautiful.”

I wasn’t sure how she could see any of it at all, since at the tips of her eye-stalks she was taller than the highest portion of the cliffs, and she blocked out almost everything besides the falls themselves beneath her. I leapt from her back onto her head to get a better view myself.
Below, Karin appeared to be arguing with Suigetsu about something. From what I could gather, they didn’t know I could summon at a master level. I was about to show them what else Katsuya could do. Katsuya’s bulk was blocking off the river and the valley was slowly starting to flood. I watched in amusement as Karin and Suigetsu scrambled for higher ground, pushing and shoving each other out of the way. Meanwhile, Jugo had decided to charge at Katsuya in anger.

“Katsuya,” I said. “Would you mind capturing those three without hurting them please?”

“Oh,” giggled the giant slug in her soft voice. “That should be no trouble at all.”

A high pressure stream of some sort of blue liquid flew from what I’ll call Katsuya’s orifice. It caught Jugo right in the sternum and knocked him backwards. The liquid was actually a kind of sticky goo that began to harden as soon as it touched anything. Jugo was soon fastened to the rocky shore in a cocoon that even he could not budge. He struggled uselessly and snarled with only his head visible.

Karin was caught next. The spray fastened to her ankles and then quickly worked its way up the rest of her body, plastering her to the rocks a few hundred meters above Jugo. Suigetsu cut through the spray a few times with his sword, and he was faster than his comrades, but Katsuya seemed to have an endless supply of the stuff, and eventually Suigetsu wore down and found himself stuck upside down against the eastern wall.

“Thank you, Katsuya-sama.” I told my slug friend. “That was great!”

“Anytime, Sakura-chan. That was fun.”

“Do you think you could hang around for a moment while I interrogate them?” I asked the Queen of all slugs. “I wonder if they’d believe me if I told them I’ll feed them to you if they don’t tell me what I want to know.”

“Oh dear, Sakura-Chan! I would never . . .”

I laughed. “I know, I know. Just kidding.”

Moments later I was kneeling in front of Karin. She was covered in a hardened blue shell spread eagle and prone on the grey rocks. For once, she had nothing to say as she gazed up at me with fearful eyes.

“Now then,” I said as I cracked my knuckles. “It’s my turn to ask the questions.”

Intelligence Report - Debriefing 18 April 112th Year of the Leaf -
Ninja Team: Haruno, Sakura Event Type: Rogue Ninja Investigation Event Rank: A
Classification: SECRET - RELEASABLE TO THE VILLAGE OF THE SAND

This was my first interrogation. I tried to follow protocol with what little I had available to me, and considering the setting I think I did fairly well. After giving Karin the initial threat I dismissed Katsuya and set out to gather what supplies of mine I could still find. I found the backpack floating not far downstream, and was relieved to find that most of the medical supplies were still intact. There was also a change of clothes, but they were soaked and unusable for now. As I approached my prisoners again I realized I was getting pretty annoyed with Jugo’s constant screaming and struggling. His cocoon was even beginning to crack a little. I gave him a finger flick to the temple and he lay still. The curse mark receded from his features, and for once the big man looked peaceful. Karin witnessed this and went pale.

With a special acid-based solvent one can cut through slug saliva in its quick-hardened form. I cut Karin loose from the rocks but left her in her cocoon and sat her up as best I could. This drew a string of curses and foul language from Suigetsu, who was still stuck upside down on the cliff. I wasn’t really sure how I was going to get him down anyway, so I just waved politely at him.
I remembered that interrogation is as much about who to interrogate as it is about how. Sometimes it is best to choose the weakest link, and sometimes it is best to go with the leader. I chose Karin because I thought she might represent both.

Once she realized by the questions I was asking that I really had no idea where Sasuke was, she seemed to relax a little. She was less threatened by me now, which I knew I could use, but the drawback was she was determined more than ever not to share what she knew about Sasuke with me. I found myself wishing I had mastered even a little genjustu already. It would have been very useful in the situation I had found myself in.

It was getting late, and the sun was begging to sink on the horizon when I took a risk. I offered to help them find Sasuke, and though I told her I could not speak for Konoha, I told her I would not try to take Sasuke back on my own, that they would have the advantage if we were to find him soon. This would mean letting them go. Though the members of team Hebi were wanted criminals, I figured that if they worked with me they could be caught again.

This is where I left protocol. I am aware this decision was above my authority, and I will accept whatever discipline is decided upon, however I feel the information obtained as a result was well worth it.
The three of them had run into Kabuto, or more accurately Kabuto found them after a mysterious ninja in an orange mask took Sasuke from them. Karin said she was convinced he was from Konoha because he was acting like an idiot. Karin confirmed that Kabuto was indeed still slowly transforming into some kind of half Ochimaru – half Kabuto monster. Karin, who is said to still be loyal to Ochimaru’s ideals, was terrified when she told me of this. Nevertheless, the mentally disturbed ninja scientist told me Kabuto wanted to help Hebi find Sasuke, and that he apparently wanted nothing in return. He kept saying it was all part of his new existence. For many months Kabuto had been sending them to investigate leads, and each time they had come up empty. They were getting frustrated with the man Karin kept referring to as a “freak.”
This time Kabuto had directed them to search for a secret lair hidden within the statue of Madara, at the Valley of the End. They had come looking for it when they had run into me, and assumed I was investigating the same information. Hearing this, I took a few moments to check in and around the base of the colossal statue, but could find nothing.

Karin could not keep quiet about how she was certain she could detect traces of Sasuke’s presence in this place, and that it was strongest by the waterfall where I had been meditating. I had thought at first that she was just feeling the remains of Naruto and Sasuke’s battle those years ago, but as I returned to her finding nothing, I made my decision.

I cut her loose, but kept a kunai trained on her as I told her to lead me to the area where Sasuke’s presence was the strongest. She held her hands out in front of her and closed her eyes like she was in some trance. Eventually, she lead me to the same enclave where I had stowed my gear while I trained. A close examination of the dark wall revealed the circle and stick symbol of the Uchiha clan, and other markings. The moment I touched the symbol a barrier activated.

Karin easily suppressed a barrier that would have made all my strength useless. I couldn’t help but wish we had had her on our side when we were trying to save Gaara from the Akatsuki. Punching through was easy for me after that. I’ll never forget the site that lay before us in the cavernous space within. There was a bed with old bandages lying nearby in the corner of the small cave. The bandages were crusted with dried blood.
Karin fell to her knees.

“Sasuke was here,” she whispered. “And someone . . . someone very powerful . . . I . . .so much power.”
Karin was actually trembling at this point, and it worried me greatly. She had been slightly afraid of me it was true, but even in the short time I had known her I could never have imagined her to be this terrified.
I pulled on some latex gloves and began collecting evidence at once.

The air was thick with the smell of sulfur and of charred flesh and clothes. There had been a terrible blast of fire in here. I was certain I was seeing the scars of Amaturasu, the Sharingan’s deadliest flame attack. But Sasuke wasn’t able to use it, as far as we knew. I wondered if it could have been the masked Akatsuki member, who also had the powerful eye technique. Regardless of who it was, to use a technique like that in here, in such a confined space . . . the result might be suicidal. It didn’t make any sense.

I collected hairs, bloody bandages, anything I could get DNA off of. I checked in the wooden boxes of supplies, the small lamp on the crude nightstand by the bed. I was afraid it was going to be a dead end. Then under the bed I found a small folded up piece of parchment. I would recognize Sasuke’s crisp angular handwriting anywhere. The note read;

Sasuke,

I’m writing this to myself and hiding it within these scrolls in case I wake up and find I do not remember who I am. I think I’ve been here three days while this person claiming to be Madara continues to tend to my wounds. Though he is helping me, I do not rust him. His claims are outrageous, and I should dispose of him quickly weather it was what my brother really wanted or not. He’s practically admitted to helping in the destruction of the Uchiha.[ However, I am an avenger, and if Konoha really was behind what happened that day, then nothing will save them from my wrath. But first I need to start where my brother left off, I need to discover the truth behind Akatsuki and this Madara. To do this I must join them. The day the Kyuubi . . .

The rest of the note was torn off, and there was no sign of any scrolls on the nearby shelves. They must have been transported to a new location. There was so much in this note that I was still struggling to
comprehend it all.

“Akatsuki,” I whispered as I fell to my knees and let the note slip from my fingers. Karin, to her credit actually looked concerned as the tears began to well in my eyes. “No, Sasuke is . . .”

Karin picked up the note and read it. Then, without a word, she turned and disappeared in a splash through the raging waterfall. I didn’t even raise my voice in an attempt to stop her from freeing her teammates and fleeing with them, and she kept the note with her.

In the end the note was no great loss, the DNA evidence of Sasuke’s presence is overwhelming, and investigators agree with me on the Amaturasu scars along the cave walls. Kakashi-sensei is taking over the investigation for me while I complete my training. I only hope I can complete it in time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users