Close
Photo

Is walking home alone at night scary to you?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Sedna

Sedna

Nostalgic

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts
  • Interests:Birds.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 03:51 AM

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=NGW9UjCTjY0

So that video basically explains how women are afraid of walking home alone at night. I just want to know if the women/men here actually feel that way. I can't exactly agree with this myself for certain reasons. But I'm truly curious if you agree or disagree. This question is for both genders!

Edited by Sedna, 29 November 2014 - 03:51 AM.

#2 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:29 AM

I am. But then, my neighborhood has had a few drug arrests, and is close to an apartment complex that is basically the bad part of town. But I have walked home in the dark before.

I have to to have a bad experience, though. The women in the video mention cat calls; I have yet to have that happen to me. That might happen if I were walking by the apartment complex. My dad always told me to never walk past there.

(One time, in the day time, this guy on a bike appeared to be following me...he was wearing a hood, and this was in the summer. Was probably nothing, but I panicked and made sure to lose the guy before taking an alternate route home.)

Edited by questdrivencollie, 29 November 2014 - 05:38 AM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#3 Nami

Nami

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:19 AM

Well not really. I guess I haven't had any negative experiences until now so I don't get scared walking alone. Maybe that's because I don't go home that late, it's usually 10/11 PM or like 5 AM, I rarely had to go literally in the middle of the night. But I will admit I get the slight creeps sometimes once I've already entered my apartment building. I know some weird kids do meet up in the basement area to drink and whatnot and we had a few cases where a weird man would walk into the elevator with a woman and steal her jewelry. Like literally rip a necklace right off her neck or threaten her.

#4 Rabbit

Rabbit

Pappaparapappapa

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,600 posts
  • Interests:Being peculiar. Travelling around the world. Shoujo manga. Obsessed with cats. Jelly beans. NicoNico. SPLATOON. Honeyworks.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 11:58 AM

I am. My classes ends at 5 pm and I still have extra curricular activities after that's why I usually go home at 8 pm. It's rather dark in the streets and scary.

Shall we skate?❄❄

5a8024b87c1bc97de775cb6fa0967ff9.gif

#5 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 29 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

I think it's creepy for anyone to be walking at home later at night, you never know what you will run into. Sometimes if my garbage is starting get full I'll wait till morning to take it out so I don't have to go out in the middle of the night XD.

In all seriousness, as much as we would like to live in a perfect world, the night time isn't the safest time to be out. I remember at my university there were a lot of emergency stations on campus with sirens and an automatic transmitter to the college police. Personally I have always felt better when walking at night with a friend.

I think the best way to help the overall perception is to get involved in the Take Back the Night marches. Usually there are a lot of those kinds of rallies around the country.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#6 kidNinja

kidNinja

Ruining your life since 1992

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:35 PM

Nope.

NaruSaku...we believe in logic NOT fanfiction

Check out my story, Chain Reaction: Iron Revolution here

#7 Tsuki Hoshino

Tsuki Hoshino

The One True Demi-Goddess of Misfortune

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,758 posts
  • Interests:Stuff, things, people.

https://twitter.com/Huldra_Nix

Posted 29 November 2014 - 05:01 PM

Not really, but I live in the middle of nowhere :zaru: If I lived in a city it might be another story. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611991db478fd57f4321b
                                         Pls shame me for procrastinating.  :argh: 

#8 Lady_duckish

Lady_duckish

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:47 AM

I'm afraid to walk to the mailbox once it gets dark, and my neighborhood isnt even a bad one, and the mailbox is a min walk. Unless im in a group I don't like to do anything after dark. 

The one semester I had a late class, a girl got molested in a hallway the second week in. It scared me so bad I almost dropped the class, and I wouldnt go if no one could pick me up in front of the building.

"Thursday cry moved up to Wednesday due to scheduling conflicts" -The Onion (I laughed till I cried)

#9 Tiller

Tiller

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:10 AM

I'm sure some people may not like this answer, but I'm a carry concealed license holder. I've had a lot of training. If I know I'm going to be out late, or in a dangerous neighborhood I'm usually armed. So no not really. I've been around guns my whole life. Luckily I've never come close to having to use any weapon.

I've been in one fight, and that didn't go beyond fist, and some tackling. Real fights aren't as interesting as something you see on tv, is just a lot of shoving and falling down more then anything else.

I'm also a male though so I don't have a lot of problems that females do. The worst I could suffer from statistically is someone trying to mug me I suppose. I mean I know men suffer sexual assault as well, but it's not as high.

#10 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:lol git

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:34 AM

Depends on where you live

#11 KonaKonaFan

KonaKonaFan

ve/ver

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 774 posts
  • Interests:you

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:14 AM

100%. I've gotten cat-called and whistled at from people's cars before (the first time was when I was 11 :/), and... I can't exactly hold my own in a lot of fights. So. There's that.

eileenbeautifulswan_zps46b60759.gif

#12 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

Depends on where you live

^ Yup this has a lot to do with how I feel about walking home. The only time I ever had to walk home was when I was in college in Phoenix. I would catch a bus that would drop me off at a stop that was right in front of my university. From there I had a 15 minute walk to my apartment complex. The area was residential with a few business in there as well and at night it was pretty dead. I always carry a knife and pepper spray with me at all times and I always call or text my every location so people know where I am. My dads a former Marine and now he's a police officer. He taught me at a young age to always be aware of my surroundings. He always told me your never safe so always know your surroundings so if something happens you already have a plan to follow. So I got that wired into my brain and I do this now without even thinking. I think this is what gives me confidence no matter where I am.

I would get cat calls and guys would slow down and offer me rides, but I never gave them the light of day. The worst it ever got was when a guy parked his car by the bus stop and kept "complementing" me on how good I looked. He was doing his best to get me in his car. It was day light mind you and I had my arms crossed. My hand was on my pepper spray the entire time, and I came really close to spraying him, but he got the picture when he saw that I wasn't giving in, nor did I show him that I was scared. So I guess for the most part walking home at night doesn't bother really.

Edited by Konohakitten, 01 December 2014 - 04:39 PM.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#13 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 04:54 PM

I'm a guy in my thirties and even I get freaked out walking alone at night, I think it's more to do with how dark it is as well how quite it is at night, because your vision is dulled your body naturally sharpens it's other senses, so every single car rushing by, or a cat screaching has you on alert. lus being alone you mind naturally wonders and sometimes it's not pleasent thoughts.

Though sometimes it's about something that happened to you or someone you know when you were walking alone. For me when I was when I started University, and was going to visit my best friend from High School, so I had to leave early so even at six thirty in the morning it was still relatively dark, however when I got close to the train station a biker parked walked up beside me and threatened me telling me he had a gun in his pocket...thankfully someone had parked his car a good thirty metres ahead and I called out to him and that scared the would be mugger....but that incident made me allot more cautious about walking alone at night and taking shortcuts.

iAnby7W.gif

#14 Gaara's hair

Gaara's hair

Pizza Man!!!

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,785 posts
  • Interests:Guilty Gear, Basketball, Futbol, and writing.

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

I've never had to walk out at night, but I get scared just standing outside at night lol.

#15 Elicit

Elicit

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Video Games (mostly RPGs/Platformers/retro stuff), Music, Anime/Manga, Debating

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:48 PM

It's always a little scary for me, but years ago it would have been scarier.

#16 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:56 PM

Not really, but if I lived in a city or more populated area, I'm sure I would be. As it is, I sometimes have to go out in the dark to take care of our horses and it can be a little unsettling when I can't see and my flashlight is crap and I have to go into the barn for hay where there's no light. I bring the dogs with me though, so that makes me feel safer, though I know there's not really much to be afraid of way out here. Except coyotes and rabid raccoons ( we've had a few of those). 

#17 Lady Lys

Lady Lys

Odore buono del cielo sull'erbe, pioggia di prima sera.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:28 PM

Well...it depends. I live in a pretty safe neighborhood so not particularly. A few days ago though I was hella scared, but it also was 4:00 am so that might be the hour more than anything else.

Still, I always keep my ears open and my reflexes ready, plus I have a very big Weimaraner so when I'm out with him people tend to steer clear of me. 

(On the other hand, going out and about alone at night in other parts of Rome can be a very dumb idea, we are pretty full of gypsies here..)

- L'inguaribile ottimismo di un dodo.

Hungry for glory - AS Roma 1927

But they were all of them deceived, for another canon was made. In the land of Japan, in the fires of Studio Pierrot, the dark Lord Kishimoto forged in secret a master canon, to control all others, and into this canon, he poured his cruelty, his malice, and his will to dominate all life. One canon to rule them all.

#18 Fairy Tail Fantard

Fairy Tail Fantard

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:I'm a pilot, so I spend most of my time in the air.

Interests: Keeping my plane in the air and NOT slapping smack dab into a mountain somewhere. Writing, watching anime, reading, playing video games, and exercising are a few more of my interests as well.

Posted 04 December 2014 - 04:37 PM

I live in the country, carry a firearm with me whenever I go places...so...no.

664086690_1145760.gif

#19 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 05:02 PM

Depends on the circumstances, but I'm 6'2 with a black belt and live in a relatively low crime area. So my neighborhood, generally not.

Still, I recall walking back from Oyster Bake one year and the place it's held at is a high crime (drive by capital of the city) and very poorly lit. It's also the type of event that the later you stay the drunker everyone gets. I was definitely nervous looking for my car at the time.

#20 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 05 December 2014 - 05:30 AM

Depends, Boston and the surrounding towns all vary with a degree of danger to safety.

Im rather short compared to most so I guess I would be able to put up much of a fight.

To answer the question though Im not really scared more or less just more aware of whats going on around me.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users