• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 NuclearRaven

NuclearRaven

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Sports, Video games, and band.

Posted 23 February 2009 - 12:17 AM

Seriously, he's probably mad because he sucks at them.
Spock it, lock it, rocket, explode it, reload it.

#2 KungFuTruffle

KungFuTruffle

Whee!

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • Interests:Writing<br />Reading<br />Video Games

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:27 AM

I don't think I've ever heard a more apathetic sounding vocal review. There was no emotion in his words whatsoever. Even when he recommended a game he liked.

His opinion is flawed, really. While some of his gripes are correct, such as games with deep controls, such as Mortal Kombat, needing move lists built into them, most of that just seem to be bashing because he, himself, can't do any better.

It's easy to tear down. It's hard to build up.

#3 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:30 AM

I thought that was funny.
Although, he's pretty opinionated without any real claims as to why they suck.

#4 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:20 AM

inb4 Derock

edit: arghhhhhhh internet stop crashing

edit 2: ok lets try this again. While the genre hasn't changed the top reason it still is popular is because they provide a fun challenge to perform certain combos/moves as well as competing against others which is always enjoyable when playing with your friends or online.

#5 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 02:24 AM

There will always be a market for these games, though its no longer the top competitive genre anymore, shooters and sports games fill that role.

Fighitng games will always be about depleting the others health, so you cant really add much to that, but he sounds like he never even liked fighting games.

QUOTE (True @ Feb 22 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
inb4 Derock

edit: arghhhhhhh internet stop crashing

yea its gonna be interesting to see what he says laugh.gif

Edited by Illmatic, 23 February 2009 - 02:25 AM.

#6 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:30 AM

QUOTE (True @ Feb 22 2009, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
inb4 Derock

o lawd that's what I was thinking XD

well fien: inafter True & inb4 Dookie.

BD

And imo gaming genres are too delicate to agree completely on. Gamers will always agree to disagree when it comes to opposing views on the acceptance of genres. So that said, I'm happy buying my RPGs and renting fighting games XD

#7 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 23 February 2009 - 05:56 AM

*walks in, sees this... listen for a bit... turns it off and speaks*

He... just... SUCK!!!! Period.

If he don't know the concepts or controls, just move on to another genre. I have a passion of hating sports and shooters genre and you don't see me complain about it. Difference in opinion.

And the competition is still there, we just have to wait how long Street Fighter IV boost it back up because there are other fighting titles are trying to make a come back, like King of Fighters.

...I wish I could rant more, but I need sleep 'cause I have class in the early morning...

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#8 Dormin

Dormin

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 669 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

Sorry to say this but when someone says that games that made invoations to video games were Mass effect and oblivion you can understand one thing.

This guy is grey as hell.

Just by listening to him talking about fighting games you can see this, he sees "fun" in it's most logicel aspect, forgeting the fact that HEY, not every single freaking game has to be 40+ hours long to be fun!

Fighting games are mostly social games, if you play alone, then yeah you are going to throw it away soon enough, but if you are going to play with others then belive me when you are going to put an all nighter happy.gif

Made by Vongola10th

"Someone shoot me..." - Kyon, cheerful as always

#9 psycho666

psycho666

wub

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 03:32 AM

I think when people decide to sit down and record their voices on ranting about something like this, they fail to understand one minor detail. If a lot of people like it, even if your an angry jealous moron of the minority who don't, chances are it's fun. And fighting games are fun! He's complaining about how it requires absolutely no thought process and your not doing anything except beating the mindless lights out of people, and yet that's the whole reason its fun.

Edited by psycho666, 24 February 2009 - 03:33 AM.

#10 Shourai

Shourai

Young Esperantist

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (Dormin @ Feb 23 2009, 02:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fighting games are mostly social games, if you play alone, then yeah you are going to throw it away soon enough, but if you are going to play with others then belive me when you are going to put an all nighter happy.gif

Exactly, that's what this guy doesn't seem to get; if he tried playing against someone, he would see how fun it is.

#11 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:29 AM

QUOTE (Shourai @ Mar 1 2009, 02:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly, that's what this guy doesn't seem to get; if he tried playing against someone, he would see how fun it is.

I agree. I myself remember playing Soul Calibur and Mortal Combat with my friends non-stop for a few days straight. Heck, that was hella fun. To me there are only 2 reason for people not to like fighting games: They sucks or the GAME sucks. Never the genre though

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#12 Jin

Jin

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:01 AM

I have never been a fan of fighting games, but this guy is an idiot. First for belittling others by promoting his opinion about fighting games as if it were hardcore fact. Secondly he even admits to never having spent more than a couple minutes on a fighting game. I do not like fighting games because I am not good at them. Even when I know the controls they never seem to work right for me so I always end up resorting to button pushing which I cannot stand. However I am not going to trash an entire genre of games just cause things don't work for me as they do for others.

#13 SageNaru

SageNaru

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Anime/Manga and Vidya

Posted 26 March 2009 - 06:09 AM

PuzzleQuest?!?!?! What the F***!
I thought it was funny. He sucks at fighting games.
I'm not a HUGE fan of fighting games except for maybe Super Smash Bros and Marvel vs. Capcom.
But I don't think the genre should die. Fighting games are great.
I'll tell you what should die...PUZZLEQUEST. powerglomp.gif rawr.gif a_smashy.gif msmack.gif

#14 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 30 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

I mostly buy and play shooters, adventure games and RPG's though, as that's more my kind of game. While I can appreciate fighting games, and have fun playing them, I don't really have the patience to learn combos. I like the genre, but I lack the patience to get good at it, which is probably why I play genres where you don't have to mash in giant combos to be good. I got pretty godly at Soul Calibur 2 on the Gamecube, but what's the use of learning combos when the next release will rewrite the entire system? XD

Anyway, this guy is obviously more of an adventurer. He, like me, lacks the patience to learn how to get good at these types of games, and to be honest... that's when the genre shines it's most! When you get good at a fighting game, it's bloody satisfying to pull off some insane move in a match against a friend. Being the friend who always looses because I don't play fighters, I'll just do my best, then get back to my rpg's.

Oh, and PuzzleQuest... never played it, but it mixes two of my favourite genres, and has recieved pretty good critique... I guess it's worth a shot!

#15 demonfox04

demonfox04

The Don - 'Nuff Said

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:36 PM

Oh man, this guy is completely wrong in my book. I like RPG's, sports games, and adventure games, but my heart has always been with fighting games. Just a simple game where you can take a character and fight until you are defeated or until your stress levels are down. This guy obviously thinks that depth is important to gaming and, as such, fighting games are not good. That's pretty ridiculous to me.

But, no matter what this guy says, fighting games are among my favorites. Nothing will please me more than popping in Street Fighter Alpha 3 and just playing with my brother, no matter how much I lose. So he can have his opinion, but it's not changing mine.

"Empty your mind. Be formless, shapeless, like water. Now, you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water in a bottle, it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friend." - Bruce Lee

Whether 1 and 15 or 15 and 1, Superbowl or Toiletbowl...those are my Boys. Ain't no bandwagon here. GO COWBOYS!!!

#16 Kirby

Kirby

Kirby ain't hungry right now.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 320 posts
  • Interests:Video Games, Manga, TV, Reading, Tromboning, Kirby (their vaccuum cleaners are AWESOME &lt;3

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:27 AM

I agree with you NuclearRaven, he probably hates them coz he sucks at them. I mean..I'm pretty sure he already new about SFII's demo thingy, but wanted to bash the genre. And isn't SFIV out on PS3 and 360?
. Don't Press the red button

#17 Illmatic

Illmatic

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 12:53 AM

QUOTE (Kirby @ Apr 3 2009, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And isn't SFIV out on PS3 and 360?

yes, they just have tournaments on the 360 since the majority has one

Edited by Illmatic, 04 April 2009 - 12:54 AM.

#18 NuclearRaven

NuclearRaven

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Sports, Video games, and band.

Posted 04 April 2009 - 02:41 PM

Actually he corrected himself on that one.
Spock it, lock it, rocket, explode it, reload it.

#19 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 20 May 2009 - 01:53 AM

Oh man I agree with you Nuclear Raven lol He just mad because he sucks at them lol. Hey i might not be the best at them but I don't hate them. lol I actually love them. That guy is so wrong in my opinion that it not even funny.

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 25 May 2009 - 04:19 PM.

#20 jacm

jacm

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:44 AM

I'm not the biggest fan of fighting games, but i still play them because i think they're fun. he probably sucks at it tongue.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users