Close
Photo

"Naruto-kun."

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#21 Grace

Grace

I am Johnlocked. Formerly known as "Kushina".

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:27 PM

QUOTE (sardns @ Jul 13 2010, 10:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a question for y'all. What's more annoying to listen to: "Naruto-kun!" or "Kurosaki-kun!"?

"Naruto-kun", but that's only 'cause I don't follow Bleach =P
....that is from Bleach right? The "Kurosaki-kun" thing?

@Strangelove--

Good point; Sakura's more prone to be cautious with how much of her actual emotion she shows, or at least that was the case when Sasuke was involved.

@8hokage--

I think what she means is that while Sakura was very open about the fact that she had feelings for Sasuke, she didn't always actually behave openly around him (or others for that matter besides Ino and Naruto) because she wanted to be seen a certain way.

@Sherry--

To be more tough? I'm not sure that has much to do with it....but maybe? I think it's more that she feels less obliged to address Naruto with a suffix since she went from not treating him with to respect to seeing him as an equal for who he is--there wasn't really a phase in there where she might have seen him as someone "respectable" enough to suddenly start calling "-kun".

@New Revolution--

Didn't know that; like I mentioned earlier, I always kind of figured it was just a formal way to address someone you feel sort of close to *shrug* If it's used more as you say, though, it makes more sense.

@Sakura_1--

XD I feel pretty much the same. It really grates on my nerves whenever I come across her calling him that in a fic/doujinshi/fanart.

#22 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:58 PM

Hinata saying it is bad enough just Orihime saying it over and over and over. argh1.png

At least it's not as bad as Reborn where some of the guys call each other with chan suffix instead of kun.

#23 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

actually the chan suffix is mostly gender neutral. its kind of the japanese equivalent of kiddo. it cna be used for both males (specifically younger boys) and and females.

its generaly used as an affectionate nickname for a female but it has multiple uses.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#24 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE (catsi563 @ Jul 13 2010, 04:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
actually the chan suffix is mostly gender neutral. its kind of the japanese equivalent of kiddo. it cna be used for both males (specifically younger boys) and and females.

its generaly used as an affectionate nickname for a female but it has multiple uses.

Kinda like how Rukia goes usagi-chan for bunny, right?
Chan is just more of a cutesy way to refer some thing or some one.

And besides, isn't -kun more of a term to refer someone that is younger or lesser rank than yourself in a more informal tone?
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#25 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:11 PM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Jul 13 2010, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And besides, isn't -kun more of a term to refer someone that is younger or lesser rank than yourself in a more informal tone?

Uh... not exactly. It is often used to show both familiarity and respect when the level of respect (OR the status\rank of the person) and the formality of address isn't high enough to warrant the use of 'sama.'

Edited by desaix, 13 July 2010 - 09:12 PM.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#26 K9ofChaos

K9ofChaos

f**k the establishment! I'm a bunny!

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 09:54 PM

QUOTE (sardns @ Jul 13 2010, 01:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's a question for y'all. What's more annoying to listen to: "Naruto-kun!" or "Kurosaki-kun!"?

OH GOD!!! WHY!!! arg.gif

#27 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:18 PM

I'm pretty sure Sakura would never switch. She never switched with Sasuke, even after he became their enemy. The -kun is nothing but habit at this point, and since she sticks with that I have no reason to think she would change what she calls Naruto. By the same token, Naruto wouldn't stop calling her Sakura-chan either.

Though I've wondered if Naruto ever refers to Hinata with the -chan suffix. I've heard conflicting things about it.

#28 crazyefra

crazyefra

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  • Interests:Living, Having a lot of friends. <br />In terms of music, anything but Bachata (excluding Juan Luis Guerra), Reggaeton and Merengue. <br />In terms of anime and T.V. shows, Naruto, Bleach, Kekkaishi, Psych, Burn Notice, Mythbusters, Family Guy, Attack of the Show, White Collar, Heroes. <br />In terms of movies, anything but Twilight, &quot;girly&quot; movies, high school &quot;dramas&quot;, horror movies (excluding zombie flicks). <br />In terms of fanfics, I only read stories with NS as the pairing or Naruharem fics with Sakura being part of it and nothing where Sakura or Naruto gets bashed constantly and killed like if they were animals.

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

I have seen Naruto saying Hinata-chan but only in fanfics, never seen it in the manga or anime

----------------
Now playing: Three Days Grace - Overrated
via FoxyTunes
そして、あなたの声は私が聞いたすべてだった
しかし、私に値するものを手に入れる

Pairings:
Naruto: NaruSaku, (Fem)NaruSaku, NaruSasu (as brothers, rivals, best friends), ShikaTema, NaruInoSaku, NaruHarem (excluding Hinata), MinaKushi, ChouIno, YahiKona
Fairy Tail: NatsuLucy, NatsuErza :D
Bleach: IchiRukia

Characters:
Naruto: Naruto, Sakura, Shikamaru, Konan, Gaara, Kushina, Kakashi, Ino
Fairy Tail: Erza, Happy, Natsu, Grey, Lucy, Gajeel
Bleach: Ichigo, Nell, Kenpachi, Rukia, Karin, Kon

Misc.: Linkin Park, Green Day

In between Anti and Pro: --Click here to view--

Pairings:
Naruto: NaruSakuHina, SakuHina, NaruTayu, KibaHina, SakuKarin
Bleach: IchiHime

Characters:
Naruto: Hinata, Tayuya, Karin, Itachi
Bleach: Orihime, Chad

Misc.: Yuri :D

Pairings:
Naruto: SasuSaku, NaruHina, NaruSasu (as gay lovers), KakaSaku, SasuAnyone, ShikaIno

Characters:
Naruto: Sasuke, Madara, "fanon" Hinata (not to be confused with canon Hinata), Kabuto
Bleach: Aizen, Yamamoto

Misc.:Twilight, Yaoi, Fillers, Sakura bashing

#29 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:12 AM

Hmm I just don't see Sakura calling Naruto, Naruto-kun, to me it would seem so out of character for her to say that.

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#30 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 14 July 2010 - 12:30 AM

QUOTE (Toasty Warrior @ Jul 13 2010, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmm I just don't see Sakura calling Naruto, Naruto-kun, to me it would seem so out of character for her to say that.

I have to agree with this. While it was funny in the omake, this isn't require for her. Many fanfics always made Sakura called Naruto, "Naruto-kun" like she is Hinata's replacement, which is a pet peeve for me (although, I don't mind that she call him that at least once or twice in lemons... heheelq7.png ).

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#31 TheBerserkMoogle

TheBerserkMoogle

Cute and Fuzzy. Deadly too.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 01:57 AM

OMG, the squeally voice of that running through my head over and over... sad.gif

Yeah, Sakura saying Naruto-kun is like A doughnut filled with broccoli. Doesn't work does it?

#32 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 14 July 2010 - 02:53 AM

QUOTE (jim1982 @ Jul 13 2010, 04:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

exactly chan is a cutesey nickname or way of referring to someone

Uh... not exactly. It is often used to show both familiarity and respect when the level of respect (OR the status\rank of the person) and the formality of address isn't high enough to warrant the use of 'sama.'

also correct. Kuns falls along the same or similar lines to sempai.

for example Sasuke or Choji could be referred to as kun as they are on the same level of position as the gals of the 9. while Neji and Shikamaru would most appropriately be referred to as Sempai as both are of higher rank then the rest.

Kun would also be appropriate as a suffix for both as well.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#33 primary colours123

primary colours123

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 36 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:35 AM

Hey,
I don't think I shall like it a lot if Sakura adopts 'Naruto-Kun' as her way of adressing Naruto.
Being from a country with a very specific code of conduct regarding how to address someone, though not something as elaborate as Japanese suffixes, I appreciate the fact that every form of addressing has a different meaning.
From what i have understood till now,
'kun' represents familiarity with respect/admiration,
'san' is a polite way of addressing someone without implying closeness or even familiarity,
'sama' is for person at a higher station in life, or someone highly respectable,
no honorific, however can mean either no respect, or closeness/intimacy to the level that formality is not required.
Now, with Sakura, she addresses everyone with politeness with two notable exceptions:
a) Sasuke: whom she always calls 'kun'. First to represent admiration and now, atleast according to me, out of habit.
b) Naruto: whom she had never called with any honorific. In the beginning, I think it was because of no respect rather than familiarity (he did use to annoy her). Though later it remained so due to their increased closeness, and also due to her habit. If Naruto has been paying any attention, he would know that being with him through his worst time, she does respect and support him. She need not imply with her speech that he is respected.
And now, since it depicts closeness, now her usage of ‘kun’ suffix, will denote distance (along with respect). I think if she starts doing so with him, instead of being happy, Naruto should get worried, as to what he did to distance her from himself.
But the above is my point of view and opinions may differ.
Take care.

Edited by primary colours123, 14 July 2010 - 04:07 AM.

#34 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (primary colours123 @ Jul 13 2010, 08:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey,
I don't think I shall like it a lot if Sakura adopts 'Naruto-Kun' as her way of adressing Naruto.
Being from a country with a very specific code of conduct regarding how to address someone, though not something as elaborate as Japanese suffixes, I appreciate the fact that every form of addressing has a different meaning.
From what i have understood till now,
'kun' represents familiarity with respect/admiration,
'san' is a polite way of addressing someone without implying closeness or even familiarity,
'sama' is for person at a higher station in life, or someone highly respectable,
no honorific, however can mean either no respect, or closeness/intimacy to the level that formality is not required.
Now, with Sakura, she addresses everyone with politeness with two notable exceptions:
a) Sasuke: whom she always calls 'kun'. First to represent admiration and now, atleast according to me, out of habit.
b) Naruto: whom she had never called with any honorific. In the beginning, I think it was because of no respect rather than familiarity (he did use to annoy her). Though later it remained so due to their increased closeness, and also due to her habit. If Naruto has been oaying any attention, he would know that being with him through his worst time, she does respect and support him. she need not imply with her speech that he is respecte.
And now, since it depicts closeness, now her usage of ‘kun’ suffix, will denote distance (along with respect). I think if she starts doing so with him, instead of being happy, Naruto should get worried, as to what he did to distance her from himself.
But the above is my point of view and opinions may differ.
Take care.

....well, not sure what to say to that other than "thank you" for summing up my thoughts on the matter entirely, and in a concise manner XD

#35 unhskikrforever

unhskikrforever

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

HAHA! I laughed at the 'Kurosaki-kun' part.

I find it weird and different if Sakura call Naruto, Naruto-kun. I've always skipped fan fics where the authors write them with Sakura calling him Naruto-kun. I don't know but it seems as if it makes the girl sounds weak. I don't know what I'm talking about but then, yeah.

15f62c4.png

#36 Grace

Grace

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (unhskikrforever @ Jul 19 2010, 03:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
HAHA! I laughed at the 'Kurosaki-kun' part.

I find it weird and different if Sakura call Naruto, Naruto-kun. I've always skipped fan fics where the authors write them with Sakura calling him Naruto-kun. I don't know but it seems as if it makes the girl sounds weak. I don't know what I'm talking about but then, yeah.

THIS. I will always, always stop reading a fanfic if Sakura starts calling him "Naruto-kun".

I think I kind of get what you're saying about it making her seem weak: to me, whenever I see her refer to him that way, my mind is immediately taken back to how she'd behave around Sasuke. I have a hard time separating Sakura's use of "-kun" and the almost timid (and dishonest, in terms of her real nature) behavior she'd display when addressing Sasuke with it.

We may never know if using "-kun" is something Sakura did only with Sasuke because she admired him without knowing him through friendship first, or if it's something she'd do with Naruto as well as a sign of her genuine affection--but I do know that it drives me up a wall to imagine her saying it to Naruto confused.gif

#37 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:03 PM

Naruto-kun makes me cringe.

In the manga, -kun is used in a somewhat negative light. Either by the two fangirls (Hinata to Naruto, Sakura to Sasuke) or by Orochimaru or Kabuto. And none of those are happy, healthy relationships. Srsly.

Naruto's use of the -chan suffix with Sakura-chan is an endearing character trait, and an easy way to signal intended closenes: -chan is used exclusively from Naruto to Sakura and nowhere else in the manga. In fact, I don't think he ever calls her by just her name alone (I can't remember a time, but please correct me if I'm wrong.).

Does Naruto start right out calling her Sakura-chan? It would be interesting if he did - signaling that he already liked her from before the start of the manga.

edit: just reread the first few chapters. Yup, he called her Sakura-chan from the beginning, introducing her to the manga as "a very cute girl that I like a lot." *sweet*

Edited by tricksie, 19 July 2010 - 01:17 PM.

#38 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Miss Soupy @ Jul 13 2010, 04:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty sure Sakura would never switch. She never switched with Sasuke, even after he became their enemy. The -kun is nothing but habit at this point, and since she sticks with that I have no reason to think she would change what she calls Naruto. By the same token, Naruto wouldn't stop calling her Sakura-chan either.

Though I've wondered if Naruto ever refers to Hinata with the -chan suffix. I've heard conflicting things about it.

Okay I seriously don't know what you're talking about Naruto would never call Hinata with the chan suffix because he has never had any interest in her he just calls her Hinata. You're right about Sakura calling Sasuke with the kun as a habit but before it became a habit she said it to him as a sign of respect.

However I like Sakura calling Naruto just Naruto because it means that she's more close to him than using a suffix for him like everyone else have previously mentioned before.

Edited by Gravenimage, 19 July 2010 - 03:42 PM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#39 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Jul 19 2010, 08:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay I seriously don't know what you're talking about Naruto would never call Hinata with the chan suffix because he has never had any interest in her he just calls her Hinata.

Exactly, it's right there in the manga, he never adds chan to Hinata's name because he never has had any romantic interest in her, only Sakura gets the chan suffix, because he does have romantic feelings for her.

Kun and chan have a different tone, even in the real world of Japan. Kun is a distancing respectful suffix (or vaguely insulting if used by an older adult male to a younger adult male- it's implying the older adult thinks the younger adult is acting childish)

Chan is an affectionate term, showing a close emotional bond between the speaker and the person being called "chan".
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users