14 replies to this topic

#1 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:25 PM

According to this the beloved video game series is looking to head to the big screen. I was just thinking about this yesterday while on my 3rd play through of ME2. The games( not so much the first one) are so richly written in terms of characters (not so much the first one) and a very defined universe that they lend themselves so well to being a movie. Essentially it feels like being a part of a movie when you play them. I was wondering how long it would be, considering the popularity of the games, until they decided to do this. I'm honestly excited. I know there have been less than a handful of video-game-movie adaptations and even to the extent movie-video-game, that are even decent, but honestly I feel like this game is very doable. -- But this comes from someone who also thought Halo was doable and was going to happen as a movie. Make no mistakes though, if they're going to make this right they'd need a budget just as big as was demanded for Halo, and Legendary pictures didn't go running to pick up the rights to that did they? Anyway if you haven't played the games yet here are there trailers for

Mass Effect 1 --Click here to view--

Mass Effect 2 --Click here to view--

Who do you think could play the Commander? Whoever they get, I hope has a more bad@ss voice then the voice actor for the male version had. It's one of my only real complaints about ME2. I hear the female one is decent.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#2 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 25 May 2010 - 02:49 PM

I don't want the movie around Shepard's story, because it will ruin the effect for me. I hope it going too be around the first contact war. dry.gif

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 25 May 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#3 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ May 25 2010, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't want the movie around Shepard's story

K. Thanks.

Honestly, with all these games going to the big screen, and most of them dying in production hell, I don't think this one will make it through without MS demanding high amounts of $.

The only one game-movie I see making it is probably Uncharted. (But then that's only a probably). BioShock film is dead, Halo film is dead, Gears of War is supposedly dead too...

I want to keep my hopes up, but honestly...

#4 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 25 May 2010 - 04:13 PM

Cloud I am a female Shepard player, so I know for one that they will pick a male Shepard and all that which they did with Raven in Knights of the old republic which will bug the crap out of me. tongue.gif

#5 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:40 PM

You can't make decisions in this movie, so it's as good as dead. blowup.gif pictureem0.gif

#6 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:56 PM

Sitting in theater with Xbox controller, "Why isn't it working!"
"Hey thet's not my character, that's Matt Damon!" Someone else.

An older male voice, "Why am I not a girl!?!"

And this is why this shouldn't be a movie. Concenrate on making Bioshock a movie first! And where the hell is Halo?

#7 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:57 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ May 25 2010, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
K. Thanks.

Honestly, with all these games going to the big screen, and most of them dying in production hell, I don't think this one will make it through without MS demanding high amounts of $.

The only one game-movie I see making it is probably Uncharted. (But then that's only a probably). BioShock film is dead, Halo film is dead, Gears of War is supposedly dead too...

Yea Uncharted could have a chance because its written out just like a movie, similar to indiana jones, but still its own unique story, with a main protagonist who cracks jokes. But they'd find a douche to play Drake. Would like to see them cast Chloe.

Id like to see Dead Space get a try.
\

#8 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:33 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ May 25 2010, 11:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
K. Thanks.

I'm going to agree with Cloud on this. I don't see how this can be done without anyone paralleling the content from Star Wars, Star Trek, or Battlestar Gallactica. And even if they did find a way to somehow spin a decent story (which is hard to do with today's scriptwriters it seems), I don't see too many people outside of the gaming community that will take notice of the film. I mean look at the past decade, we're finally turning out semi-decent Super hero movies now. When was the last time you've seen a decent Video Game movie?

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#9 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ May 25 2010, 03:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When was the last time you've seen a decent Video Game movie?

Never. Not since Uwe Boll stepped in. And therefore people get sketchy at videogame movies.

#10 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 25 May 2010 - 11:37 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ May 25 2010, 07:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Never. Not since Uwe Boll stepped in. And therefore people get sketchy at videogame movies.

A-hah! Alone in the Dark.

I've never played the game myself, so I'd have to say Christopher Walken.

#11 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 26 May 2010 - 11:36 AM

Err... isn't it obvious that the story in a movie wouldn't be about Sheppard and his crew? They can't base a character in a movie on a custom character from a game guys, so don't worry. If anything, it will be a prequel with all different characters, as they can't include Sheppard in a movie. In my head it should be damn obvious anyway, but I won't take anything for granted.

Now, let's see Uwe Boll even think the thought of making this movie, and I swear I'll flykick him in the familyjewels.

#12 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:34 PM

Looks like I'm the only one excited for this. I understand the fear of it being horrendous, since that's typically what has happened with VG movies. But I think if done right it could be great. As far as ruining people's visions of Shepard... Bioware has a Shepard in mind, a canon look. He's on the cover of both games, it's a guy and he has that voice that... sucks. The crew themselves, they can get people who look and act like them for the humans and the aliens can be done with suitmation/ cgi like Guilermo Del Toro has done. Plus, I don't know what they borrow from Star Trek, Star Wars, or BS Galactica, other than a Tricia Helfer in part 2, but I've either seen or am aware of those shows/ films and that doesn't bother me any. But I think we can rest assured that Uwe Boll has been seen for the horrendous director he is, since I haven't seen or gotten wind of any of his movies coming through the pipelines in awhile. But if he so much as looks at Mass Effect funny, I'll harpoon him.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#13 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:01 PM

QUOTE (chouzu_tao @ May 26 2010, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Looks like I'm the only one excited for this. I understand the fear of it being horrendous, since that's typically what has happened with VG movies. But I think if done right it could be great. As far as ruining people's visions of Shepard... Bioware has a Shepard in mind, a canon look. He's on the cover of both games, it's a guy and he has that voice that... sucks. The crew themselves, they can get people who look and act like them for the humans and the aliens can be done with suitmation/ cgi like Guilermo Del Toro has done. Plus, I don't know what they borrow from Star Trek, Star Wars, or BS Galactica, other than a Tricia Helfer in part 2, but I've either seen or am aware of those shows/ films and that doesn't bother me any. But I think we can rest assured that Uwe Boll has been seen for the horrendous director he is, since I haven't seen or gotten wind of any of his movies coming through the pipelines in awhile. But if he so much as looks at Mass Effect funny, I'll harpoon him.

^^ It's not the problem about "If" it's done right. I mean every video game movie has that potential. I mean look at Max Payne. It's concept that screams one of the most potential cop drama/action movies of all time. But instead we get a steaming pile of crap. It's not the problem if it's done right. It's just that hardly any of the video game movies have been done right in the past. It's just the precedence of it all.

Honestly, I hope they pull it off. I liked Mass Effect, I liked it a lot. And I think it would be an amazing film "if" done right. It's just the problem of getting that "if" together.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#14 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 07:25 PM

The problem though is most movie producers just want to use the name and concept and reap the benefits of first couple weeks of the movie release regardless of how bad it was developed. Then they move on and continue the cycle. Don't get me wrong because there are some directors and producers who do care and make great movies such as Spielberg and Lucas.

#15 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:43 AM

Mass Effect 3 will be out before the movie, think about how much work Industrial Light and Magic will have to do on sets. They'll probably get Channing Tatum to play Shepard if they go with Plot Route.

Edited by Insurrection, 27 May 2010 - 02:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users