Close
Photo

From a writing standpoint, what exactly is the appeal of Naruto and Hinata?

• Please log in to reply
98 replies to this topic

#81 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:01 PM

There's no excuse for that filler. Remember the MK filler? It was about MK. Because they knew eachother enough to have a flowing conversation. NS did too. NH only has awkwardness. Naruto has no idea what to do with her lol.

ナルサク

#82 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:10 PM

I know they have two kids but it feels like they have a sexless marriage.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#83 Illnevergiveup3

Illnevergiveup3

My Brittney-Chan. The girl I love with all my heart and always w

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Interests:winning the girl I love heart, making it to the NBA and taking care of my family.

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:55 PM

I don't know how some could watch that garbage without feeling pain in their heart. Me personally, I don't take stock in anything dealing with "Naruto(if that is his real name)" because that's not the Naruto I know and Hinata. I'm just one of those that's never giving up on waiting for Kishi to pull the rug out from under them and reveal the true damn ending. It's in my name after all lol.

Superman_over_earth_500x400.jpg

I wish I could have the powers of Superman so I could save protect the world under God's will.

Always have the spirit and the guts to never ever give up no matter what.

#84 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

havent you seen how sexy she is :smack:

Databooks/interviews said Hinata didn't care for fashion, post-ending she's got a makeover that should make her cringe because she doesn't deserve~ to be the love interest with ugly pants and a hoodie.

Do I know Hinata more than her fans?

Edited by sushi., 06 March 2017 - 11:14 PM.

ナルサク

#85 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:21 AM

We always address the flaws in NH and Hinata, but I feel like we should also address the flaws in NS and especially Sakura. We should ask ourselves what made NH more appealing than NS. Or why people like Hinata more than Sakura. We always list the shallow reasons on why someone would ship NH and SS (and even SNS), but there are people who genuinely find an appeal towards the ship that they couldn't find in NaruSaku.

NH and SS also call us problematic as well: they also either see NaruSaku fans as misogynistic men who believe that Naruto deserves Sakura as a reward after everything he's done, or women who fetishizes and self-insert themselves at the thought of a guy like Naruto willing to put her happiness and wellbeing over his own because he genuinely loves her. We know not all of us are like that. Every shipping fandom has their problematic shippers. Same with character favourites. Lumping the loud minority (and even majority) of shippers and character bias for the most shallow of reasons are are just one of the reasons why the Naruto fandom is known as being the most closed-minded fandom. Years before, it was some NaruSaku amv YouTuber that convinced me into acknowledging NaruSaku, without bashing SS or Sasuke to get her point across. The debates were tolerable back than. And yeah problems here and there, but I remember a time where NaruSaku experience a whole lot of growth with convincing shippers as well as newcomers. Nowadays, just try convine anyone the Sakura is still the heroine of the manga without being blocked or harassed. I still question at what point in time did people decided to close their ears instead of, at least!, acknowledging what we interpret from the manga. 

Anyway, there are genuine SasuSaku and NaruHina shippers, whether they make up the minority, majority, or whatever. There are NaruHina and SasuSalu shippers who are anti-ending (plot), but still continue to ship them because they found something appealing or like about that they couldn't see in NaruSaku. There are neutral, both anti and pro-ending fans, and anti-NaruSaku fans who do find a flaw within NaruSaku that preventing them being a pro-supporter (one of the many being Sakura herself). An example I can give are SNS fans: a lot of shippers can only ship and see SNS as the most logical ship in the manga, and they are not wrong. We can argue as much as we want about how Naruto cares for Sakura, but, canon-wise, if you ask him to take a bullet to save either Sasuke or Sakura, it's pretty obvious who he'd choose. Naruto went against his POAL in Sakura's face; how Sasuke became more important the POAL he had given towards Sakura. SNS are not wrong when they say that everyone ships SNS; so far you have both English and Japanese VA's, SP (fan-service), and Kishimoto himself. It is the largest paring in Naruto because of how emphasized it was. One of the reasons why SNS fans never cared for or acknowledge NaruSaku or NaruHina; they genuinely don't care which of the two became canon because they know, in canon, that both Sakura and Hinata are only second place in Naruto's eyes compared to Sasuke. This is before the ending. After they realize SS also became canon, The Last, and SNS pretty much replaced and NH now being shoved in their face, do they realize that NS would have been more credible. But before that, the only thing SNS cared more about was an open ending, and not being given a heterosexual romance at all. SNS shippers are also make a up part of the Sakura hate (NH, neutral fans, antis).  Canon-wise, Sakura had no major part within SNS, she was a legit third wheel, especially with Sasuke himself. They also have issues with her ignorance when it comes to SNS (her attempting to kill Sasuke even though Naruto cares about him). This is getting to long, so I will quickly finish...

The major issue is how the writing became flawed to where people couldn't keep an interest in overall characters or particular ships because for most fans, based on their expectations and interpretations, it was ruined or not what they expected. From a writing standpoint, I see NS being credible and logical, but at the same time, I can also see why one would ship NH find it appealing. 

Honestly, I feel like one should just avoid love triangles (rectangles) point blank. With Fairy Tail, the writing is bad, but the parings are clear, and still gain a large popularity. I'm mean, if you don't know what you're doing. 

Edit: forgot my point with SNS. There are genuine shippers like SNS, that find their ship more logical then other couples such as NaruSaku. SNS wouldn't have been as popular in a romantic aspect if Kishi made it clear that Naruto cares for Sakura or Hinata romantically. Kishi made it very clear out of both Sasuke and Sakura, who is the most important in Naruto's heart. Same with Sasuke when comes to Naruto and Sakura. Every ship outside of SNS is second place, no matter what. This is goes the same for NH and SS for their reasons on why they ship them. The writing never made anything crystal clear. We had to look for  NH, NS, and SS on a lot on vague statements. These vague confirmations is why the Naruto shipping base is so divided in the romantic aspect of the writing.

From a purely writing standpoint, I don't get NH. It bores me. I cannot overstate how little I care about Hinata and what happens to her. About the only reason I care about the current state of their relationship is because I think it's collapse will result in even more crappy writing.

I found Hinata an odd fit for this kind of story, especially since she was made a ninja. I guess in some sense Kishimoto almost had to make her one (given the status symbol being one meant in that world), though I think telling Hiashi to go kitten himself early would have required more courage than the route she chose. But other than that little blurb where she overcame her shyness long enough for Neji to pound her into the ground she didn't to anything other than "like Naruto." She was a set-up for the Neji/Naruto fight and that's it. 

Her likes, dislikes, how she fits on her team, the nature of her relationship with her family, etc. We know nothing. I find her sister to be more interesting and she gets less screen time. The way Hinata (and Neji to a less extent are written, it's almost implied that Hanabi's destiny is completely in the hands of what other people do).

It doesn't help that I am not a fan of the wilting violet character-type. I dislike shynessness association with cuteness and niceness when it is indicative of neither. I grew up shy. I see it as a flaw that has and sometimes still does hold me back. It's implied Hinata is nice (her teammates don't hate her), but we never see it except that one time where she gave him ointment. Other than that...nothing. An inability to assert yourself doesn't mean you're not a gigantic kitten, but it's often interpreted as such since shy people lack the courage to assert that. Hinata's niceness is mostly just assumed and it's also assumed her attitude for Naruto extends to others when it's never shown.

Hinata is a textbook definition of a satellite character. She really doesn't do anything  beyond like Naruto and we know zippo about her beyond that. There really isn't a good excuse for this is she was set up to be paired with Naruto. I can't say I would have care about her, but it would have helped sell the whole thing if they spent time fleshing her out. And Boruto isn't really helping on this front. The story still doesn't seem to give a rip about her other than she Boruto's mother and Naruto's wife. Who gives a crap?

For me, NH is easier to understand from non-writing aspects. Fans of Naruto's character saw her as the only person who didn't hate him at the beginning (besides Iruka). This was perpetuated solely by the anime as she doesn't even appear until the Chunin exams in the manga and by that point Sakura's treatment of him had already changed (i.e. she was ready to quit the exam to protect his dream). There is also the association of shyness and niceness. As I said, I don't like it, but lots of fans equate the two. If your exposure is predominately the anime then you get the more tsundere version of Sakura and more screen time from Hinata. I don't necessarily hate tsundere's (and manga Sakura is very mild), but I understand why it turns people off. 

In addition, there are things like character preferences and identifying with characters. I don't like shy characters because of my own shyness as a kid. However, I suspect I am in the minority on this. I bet many of those who grew up shy or are shy themselves can identify with Hinata.

This is an easier assertion to make about SS. Sasuke didn't come home for twelve years. Its not to hard to believe that they have only did it one time. At least Naruto was in the village even if he likes paperwork more than his own family. But then again...Boruto initially came across as an kitten. Chicken and Egg thing? Did he love paperwork because Boruto was an kitten or was his love of paperwork why Boruto is an kitten? (and yes, I know what the manga says in case any Boruto fans (or is it fan) read this.

#86 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:40 AM

To be honest, I loved NaruHina in Part 1. Not totally from a writers perspective however.

Mainly because it seemed like a cool thing to do at the time; the whole hopping-on-the-popular-bandwagon shebang. As well as the fact that there was art everywhere with this pairings, AMVs, fanfics (lol do NOT get me started on that one) ect., so I was easily convinced that they were the best thing since sliced bread & Betty White for a while.

And I completely understood why everyone loved them. They just looked "cute" and "cool" together: Naruto's charming cluelessness and brash disposition + a deathly cute blush-y, smushy gushy Hinata, turning into a fainting and stuttering mess every time they meet. It was perfect, a dream. It appealed to 14 year old me at the time who preferred looks over substance, and because of the simple notion that "opposites attract" bs. I never really payed attention to the story too much when it came to the development towards them all the while.

And to be fair, NaruHina did have their moments. The scene where Naruto vowed over Hinata's blood that he would kick Neji's behind for her was maybe the most touching scene associated with this couple for me. In retrospect to the entire sh*tshow series, this pairing did have some rather stunning moments, but it lacked consistency and personal moments for it to truly feel genuine because they started developing NaruHina way too late in the game for it to pick up some speed. Everyone knows this.

But atm these two are just boooring af together, they literally have little in common. Hinata's character just dampens Naruto's by a ton & I feel like they can't have fun together, its really sad. Plus you have unnecessary drama about failed marriages everywhere, Naruto looks like a hairless miserable cat, Hinata's crying, her children are crying, Kishimoto is crying, Sakura is presumed dead at this point and Sasuke just can't seem to take a seat for once in his life and I still wonder how fans are still defending this kitten lmaoo

#87 Illnevergiveup3

Illnevergiveup3

My Brittney-Chan. The girl I love with all my heart and always w

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  • Interests:winning the girl I love heart, making it to the NBA and taking care of my family.

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:04 PM

^and that's one of many reasons why I believe them marriages won't last. They wouldn't be able to keep that up for long. Kishimoto knows that, we know that, I know that. It's only a matter of time.

Superman_over_earth_500x400.jpg

I wish I could have the powers of Superman so I could save protect the world under God's will.

Always have the spirit and the guts to never ever give up no matter what.

#88 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:00 PM

^and that's one of many reasons why I believe them marriages won't last. They wouldn't be able to keep that up for long. Kishimoto knows that, we know that, I know that. It's only a matter of time.

Realistically, no amount of love goggles would hide Sasuke's refusal to send funds to for child support and bills forever. The fanfics revolving around affairs and divorce are surprisingly not that far off in their portrayal of things. :ermm:

Posted Image

Behold! Akame ga Kill's True Canon Pairing!

#89 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:53 PM

Yeah SS is easy to play with cause they've literally had minimal interaction with each other, so fans can fill in the "who what where why & when" with whatever lovey dovey bs they want because they're still somehow married to one another!

#90 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:54 PM

I'm familiar dynamics as a result of reading fanfics about them as well as having watched as much of Boruto as I could be bothered to observe. And as I pointed out earlier in this thread, there are certain liberties you need to take with these characters in order to have those dynamics in the first place. We see this rather clearly in Boruto with the whole "Hinata is a scary mom!" bit. Same goes for SS to be quite honest. I'm not aware of any SS fics out there that don't take huge liberties with either character.

Posted Image

#91 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:20 PM

You say the "scary mom" stuff is just there for humor, inadvertently proving my point.  Without taking liberties, it's flat and boring for the exact reasons I pointed out in the OP.  And there's a difference between character growth and just flat out making stuff up, which the scary mom and ramen eating champion stuff shows. 

Edited by ThroughWithLove, 14 August 2017 - 08:22 PM.

Posted Image

#92 Qia

Qia

Little Weasel

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

Other than the idea of the shy princessy type girl getting the main character to notice her I...never really got the hype behind this couple, even more so when the argument that she was the first to not only acknowledge him but understand him was brought up (not on these forums but on another I used to go to a lot when Naruto Shippuden had first started. I forget the name now). When I considered how alone Naruto was at the beginning and the fact that Hinata had always been watching him but hadn't done anything...I just couldn't like her as a character at all-or at least I couldn't like her without changing the kind of love she felt for Naruto.

I always felt like it would have been better for her to have just admired Naruto and use him as an inspiration after adopting his nindo, and that is probably why it came as a huge shock to me when they ended up together. It was especially shocking to find out the way in which they'd met since I'd always assumed that Naruto had caught her eye as the "loser" of the academy that never gave up on anything and that was that. I mean, it made sense to me based on what we'd been given in the manga (not the Last or any of the movies or even the anime). She was looked down upon by her clan and seen as weak...it's easy with this way of thinking to see why she would use him at least as an inspiration. But the fact that she seriously loved him?? Hinata didn't, couldn't have, even known or fully understood Naruto to me. She had no connections to Sasuke, his "brother", and would have had no idea about the kyuubi inside of him until much later on. So how could she possibly know him and seriously love him if it's not just the idea of him that she's in love with? The idea that there is "loser" much like her out there who's willing to try and beat the odds. 

I didn't mean to turn this into a little mini rant xD I guess all I'm trying to say is that I don't get the appeal other than the archetypes that both characters fulfill. Also, and don't bother to debate with me on this, but I will never ever think her being shy is a good enough reason for her to not outwardly acknowledge Naruto's existence rather than just inwardly. Never. So don't bother trying.  

Edited by Qia, 14 August 2017 - 08:24 PM.

single-cherry-blossom-tree-4k-high-quali

#93 Qia

Qia

Little Weasel

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:53 AM

The last line is very silly, because you are basically dismissing every introvert. Also what do you mean outwardly acknowledge? She does this Chuunin Exams onward? Unless you are talking about Academy years then well... shyness is a trait and that is a very valid reason? What standards are you holding her up to? 

Not really...being an introvert doesn't mean that you don't have the ability to go up to someone if you can see that they're alone and suffering. I mean Naruto even admitted that he basically could have been in Gaara's position if it wasn't for Iruka. Also, I'm guessing by introvert you mean shy, since the two aren't the same thing. Being an introvert means needing time away from people once in a while as it is draining to be around them after some time. Not all introverts are shy. Just wanted to correct you on that. 

And yes she does this at the Chuunin exams when everyone else is (excluding Iruka of course). And yes I meant the Academy years and no I'm not holding her up to any "standards". And no shyness isn't a valid reason at all, if by valid you mean that's it's a good enough reason as to why Hinata, considering that she would have been watching him all this time, never went up to a struggling Naruto. Her shyness is a weakness about her that has always held her back.  I'm also going off the argument people make about Hinata understanding Naruto from the very start...because that's not the case. If she'd always understood Naruto, she would not have left him while he struggled to find the meaning for his existence. 

Edited by Qia, 15 August 2017 - 05:12 AM.

single-cherry-blossom-tree-4k-high-quali

#94 Yyubie

Yyubie

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

I was first NH fan , that was when i was still about 13-16 years old. As time pass and i grow up and the manga progress i realize that what Hinata had for Naruto is not love but admiration, a figure to set an example and look up to. She is also (in my opinion) bad person , because for me if i really love someone , when the person i love being ignore , left alone and insult : Bakemono! Sinee!! by the society i will definitely jump in and hug him/her i don't care if the rest of the village hate me or ignore me too. Hinata is bad person , while naruto suffer and alone while being insult all she did is stand behind a tree / crowd / wall and WATCH ....

I realize this when i got older , about when i enter high school , i realize that i was immature when i thought everyone likes Sasuke and only Hinata immune to him , then i realize i was wrong. When they put naruto in genjutsu in the last and then he see that hinata love him and she always watching him since childhood , naruto instantly fall in love with her ..... WELL in my opinion THAT WAS WRONG, naruto should be angry instead of fall in love with her .... i mean WHERE THE kitten ARE YOU WHEN I NEED YOU ?? , i mean try to put yourself into naruto position , imagine that all this time when you suffering from loneliness all she did was WATCH .... i mean this is REALLY WEIRD FOR ME , you love me but you watch suffer ??? that's when i'm starting to hate her , that's more logical to me. For me i think Hinata was afraid , afraid if she help naruto she will also get the same treatment from the society.

tumblr_nexjjgShiv1rz4qnxo1_500.gif
An out of control man needs a strong woman to control him.
And even a violent woman will become soft and tender to the man she love.

#95 BlackShirtGuy

BlackShirtGuy

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Videogames, Anime, Naruto, Dragon Ball, Spider-Man, Megaman, Ace Attorney Series.

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

I'm going to go after this one, because if you are shy, initiating conversation can be incredibly difficult. And she's a child. Why are we holding her to these expectations? I'm aware not all introverts are shy, but here, Hinata is both. Further, Hinata is going through her own abuse at the time. We could put this argument towards any other person in the academy, on why they did nothing at the beginning. It's a very weak point that fails to capture the surrounding elements of the situation, choosing to ignore them because, they're not good enough reasons. "This evidence isn't good enough" may as well be your comment. 

The last argument is even worse, because... you are saying that she can't understand Naruto, because she didn't help Naruto. These are two different things, and not reliant on the other. 

I was first NH fan , that was when i was still about 13-16 years old. As time pass and i grow up and the manga progress i realize that what Hinata had for Naruto is not love but admiration, a figure to set an example and look up to. She is also (in my opinion) bad person , because for me if i really love someone , when the person i love being ignore , left alone and insult : Bakemono! Sinee!! by the society i will definitely jump in and hug him/her i don't care if the rest of the village hate me or ignore me too. Hinata is bad person , while naruto suffer and alone while being insult all she did is stand behind a tree / crowd / wall and WATCH ....

I realize this when i got older , about when i enter high school , i realize that i was immature when i thought everyone likes Sasuke and only Hinata immune to him , then i realize i was wrong. When they put naruto in genjutsu in the last and then he see that hinata love him and she always watching him since childhood , naruto instantly fall in love with her ..... WELL in my opinion THAT WAS WRONG, naruto should be angry instead of fall in love with her .... i mean WHERE THE kitten ARE YOU WHEN I NEED YOU ?? , i mean try to put yourself into naruto position , imagine that all this time when you suffering from loneliness all she did was WATCH .... i mean this is REALLY WEIRD FOR ME , you love me but you watch suffer ??? that's when i'm starting to hate her , that's more logical to me. For me i think Hinata was afraid , afraid if she help naruto she will also get the same treatment from the society.

So a kid going through her own demons should get yelled at for being too shy to aid? This  would make Naruto heartless, and you, no offense. The last part is completely unsupported. Your first part is explicitly what you would do, but you do not have the elements or the character of this person, not to mention wrong, as it is stated to be love. 

Listen, a sentiment i'ts but a mere thought if not expressed openly.
Hinata might have loved Naruto all she wanted, but it was just infatuation, nothing less and nothing more.
If she truly loved him, she would've openly cheered for him at least ONCE she didn't do that at any moment in the whole chunin exam and no the proud failure speech does not equal cheer or believing in someone it's just her saying I like you because even if you mess up you keep trying.
Where was she when Naruto was growing up alone withouth friends and every adult in the village despising him?
Where was she when Naruto was fighting Neji and needed moral support?
Where was she when Naruto needed comfort after he failed to get Sasuke back? (Oh, that's right she went there and PASSED OUT before saying ANYTHING to him)
Where was she when Naruto learned the bad news that his master had perished in battle and he was trying to cope with that?
Where was she?

Now I know what you are gonna say, because everyone knows exactly what you always say: "Oh , you can't say that about Hinata she is a shy and introvert girl, poor her, if you do, that means you are a hearltess person for not considering her situation, and the abuse she received in her family"

Ok first, if that person you love you really care about him/her you overcome your own shyness with ease, I'm gonna use me as an example I always was a pretty shy and introvert kids, didn't talk with anyone in school and didn't have that much of a close relation with my classmates however when I had crush on one of my classmates I actually did my best effort to at least TALK with them from time to time, she has no excuse, and if you are  talking about abuse I suffered from verbal abuse from time to time in most of my schoolife from my first years of primary school to mid-years of secondary school, so Hinata doesn't have an excuse.

Second, as being discussed before the ONLY thing Hinata likes about Naruto is his Nindo, and you know it, and everyone and her cat and mother in the Naruto fanbase knows this, she literally doesn't know anything about him but that "I never give up on my word! That's my Ninja way!" that's the SOLE reason she even got married to the guy, why in the seven hells would you think that would make for a good relationship?

Third, Hinata was the first to acknowledge Naruto, ok, how do I tackle this one? Oh, I already mentioned it in the first words of this post right? 
Look even she had acknowledged Naruto, if she doesn't make sure he KNOWS of it, it's the same as just being a fly on the wall, just like she is.

Fourth, the way NH happened it's UNREALISTIC look nevermind the stupid genjustsu scene, why Naruto is suddenly falling in love with her NOW?
It's been years since he knew of her existence and "love" for him, that Pein confession scene you like to say how it's ""ULTIMATE PROOF"" Naruto cares more about Hinata than everyone else and therefore he loves him, HE SAID IN THE LAST HE DIDN'T HAVE ANY IDEA ABOUT ROMANTIC LOVE, YOUR OWN MOVIE DEBUNKS YOUR THEORY, DON'T YOU SEE THE PROBLEM HERE!??!?

“There are many types of monsters in this world, monsters who will not show themselves and who cause trouble. Monsters who abduct children, monsters who devour dreams, monsters who suck blood, and, monsters who always tell lies. Lying monsters are a real nuisance, they are much more cunning than other monsters. They pose as humans, even though they have no understanding of the human heart. They eat, even though they've never experienced hunger. They study even though the have no interest in academics. They seek friendship even though they do not know how to love. If I were to encounter such a monster, I would likely be eaten by it, because in truth, I am that monster.”   -L. Lawliet

#96 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:25 PM

The Ramen Eating Champion was actually a joke of an OVA where part two Hinata does just that. 

No, "Making Stuff Up", is a very problematic argument anyway, because characters don't remain static. 

But if its flat and boring to you, that's fine, but this is the eye of the beholder sort of thing. 

Again, you make my point for me:  Without taking liberties, it's flat and boring for the exact reasons I pointed out in the OP.  It doesn't matter where the liberties are coming from. They're characteristics that go well beyond the scope of the character in the original. In this case, to make people laugh. In other words, a desire to keep the character from being flat and boring.

Again, character development =/= making stuff up. Why you ignore this, I don't know.

Of course I think it's flat and boring to me, which is why I made this discussion thread. So people can discuss the appeal of the relationship. If you don't feel inclined to do that, the door is that-a-way. Honestly, you're pretty much the equivalent to someone who is leaving the movie theater, sees two people telling each other what they thought about the movie and then screams to top of your lungs:

Edited by ThroughWithLove, 15 August 2017 - 08:30 PM.

Posted Image

#97 ThroughWithLove

ThroughWithLove

Illustrious Tap Dancer

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 10:40 PM

Except you more or less asked everyone? So your metaphor makes no sense. 

And I don't know about "Flat and boring" describing NH anyway, because there is a considerable sized fandom that likes them? That's why I'm saying, hey, go ask some. Ask several. You'll find valid answers there than asking here, on a forum with very few NH fans. I don't ship them, and former shippers aren't a great source either. 

I think they are vanilla in culmination, but certainly not flat. I think their family dynamics are interesting, but I'm honestly closer to your sphere in opinion on pre-family NH.

But I'm not a shipper. Just go ask some. 

Nah, the metaphor flew waaaaay over your head. And the fact that it did is pretty telling. A discussion is nothing more than an exchange of thoughts and ideas. Turns out most people like having actual conversations, sharing ideas, gaining an understanding of whats and whys to peoples' thought processes and so forth. Maybe some people think NaruHina is exciting. Maybe some people think it's flat and boring. Simply running in and dismissing it all as "your opinion man!" is counterproductive.  :confused:  And no, I don't need to go to another forum. As the last six pages have shown, people on this forum are well capable of discussing the subject. Perhaps you simply need to stop treating everything like an inquisition.  :lol:

Edited by ThroughWithLove, 15 August 2017 - 10:41 PM.

Posted Image

#98 Yyubie

Yyubie

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:56 PM

"You dare to say you love me since we were kid but you did nothing and watch me suffer??"

That's what Naruto suppose to say to hinata when he sees her genjutsu in the last.

tumblr_nexjjgShiv1rz4qnxo1_500.gif
An out of control man needs a strong woman to control him.
And even a violent woman will become soft and tender to the man she love.

#99 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:13 AM

And him in the last having no understanding love on any level what so ever isn't him being out of character?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users