Close
Photo

When exactly did the fights start to suck?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 01:08 PM

Rocci It Franchise Original Sin: "is a flaw that in earlier, good installments was kept under control to the point of not really being a flaw, but goes out of hand and becomes apparent in later installments."

The fight was great in of itself. BUT! It lead to the problems that would eventually plague the fights in part two.

Yes to be honest the balancing between Naruto and Sauke that Kishimoto did in part two is one of the problems the led to the problems in those later fights.

Kakashi and Zabuza was to show us and team 7 this is what a real battle between high class ninja look like. The other two are fight that are clearly suppose to be consider "battles of legend" because of the level of the combatants.

Looking back on it, I have to agree with this. I used to really like the first VotE fight, but in hindsight, it was basically a big power fest. It wasn't about who was the better shinobi, but rather who had the most hax abilities. Going all the way back to the first bell test and the Zabuza fight, Naruto's strengths was his trickster mindset. All of his immature pranks led up to him being able to outwit otherwise superior foes. If the VotE fight were to have served any purpose, it ought to have been that blind brute force is useless and that Naruto ought to stick to his strengths. Then, come timeskip, Naruto comes back more mature but with his prankster tactics taken to a whole new level (i.e. explosive tags disguised as shadowclones via subtle use of the transformation jutsu, immunity to sneak attacks via secretly having multiple observant shadowclones in hiding at all times). When you can hide and make an army of yourself at the drop of a button, there's no limit to the number of tactics you can employ.

And so I'm amazed that Kishi could not think of anything beyond endless rasengan spam over the course of 400+ chapters. The first post-timeskip arc should have ended with Naruto outwitting and beating Deidara outright and establishing himself as a unique and serious powerhouse. Instead, readers like myself sat there wondering whether he had been sitting on his ass for the last 2.5 years.There are so many ways Naruto's fights could have been written that there was never a need to give him back to back powerups. Full control of the kyuubi's chakra should've been the limit as far as upgrades were concerned.

As others have pointed out though, even Naruto vs Kakuzu was kind of lackluster. I mean yes, Naruto did use his head, but it was just the basic shadowclone switcheroo. Something he had already been capable of doing as far back as his fight with Neji. For a fight against a guy who had fought the first Hokage, I think we could've gotten something a little more robust as far as strategy goes. Like maybe the real Naruto had never even stepped foot on the battlefield,  was using clones the entire time to bait Kakuzu into thinking he was facing the real deal. Even the people on the sidelines (Kakashi, Sakura, Ino, Chouji and Yamato) think Kakuzu is fighting the real Naruto and we as readers think so as well. Then, just as it looks like Kakuzu has won, the real Naruto appears out of nowhere and scores the finishing blow.

Like I told rocci the fight wasn't bad in of itself, but that praise for it led to the problems with the later fights. The thing is we already going into that fight knew for the most part how their abilities worked since we been seeing them use them throughout part one. Even the Chakra cloak and Sasuke level two form were hinted at.

But the topic was when did the fights start to go downhill. Each person going to have their own opinion when that happened in part two, but the source of it starts in the "power fest" that was the "valley of the end" fight.

Kishimoto for the most part did come up with some neat powers in his story and more importantly was able to give them strengths and weaknesses that were very logical. The problem came in when he needed to balance Naruto and Sasuke. He knew and always planned a second fight where Naruto would win this time. But to make sure that the fight would always be interesting he need to balance Sasuke power which we don't see him gain with Naruto's that we do see him gain. I thinking of the sudden hawk summon right now, for an example of Sasuke sudden and unexplained powers. Now kishimoto did try to balance the two when ever Naruto or Sasuke by giving their new abilities limitation. The big rasengan drained Naruto for some reason v. Sasuke new lighting abilities (bad example.) Rasenshuriken's initial limitation v. Kirin's incredible amount of set up for an ultimate attack. Sage mode time limit v. Magekyo Sharingan's blindness. but eventually Naruto was able to gain Kurama friendship and gain full control of his chakra, which gave him a major boost (also who honestly did not see Naruto eventually gaining control kurama's power in some way shape of form?) Which kishimoto had to make the new Sharingan abilities to cancel it out.

Another problem is how kishimoto does fight for Naruto and Sasuke. Naruto is the dead last of his class so he always less then his opponents in someway. So kishimoto knew that Naruto would have to use trickery an his tremendous endurance to win. Sasuke is an gifted prodigy an elite by birth. So even when he is fight opponents that should be superior to him, he just so gifted that he will win simply because he that gifted. That causes all his fight to be a lot more straight forward with only a minor amount of trickery that would be more accurately be called skill. So when Naruto became stronger and more a match for Sasuke in part two. Kishimoto made him fight more and more like Sasuke to show his growing strength, at the cost of the fight actually being interesting. Also the fight became a "look what I can do now."

Sakura's fight against Sasori is honestly the best fight in part two since it was the closest to fight in part one were like.

Naruto & Kakashi v Deidara was more about showing off Kakashi's new ability, and the dangers of Naruto using the chakra cloak

Naruto v. Orochimaru was a "power fest," and honestly the most important things about that fight was to show the weight Naruto was putting on himself to save Sasuke, further show the dangers of Kurama's power. and some NS scenes.

Shikamru and Hidan was just a copy of the other two fight Shikamaru, which did make it one of the better fights of part two.

Naruto v Kakazu was more about showing off Naruto mastery of his improved shadow clones and his new ultimate attack

Naruto and Pein was great because kishimoto once again made it clear that Naruto was completely out match. So he had to restore to trickery again. Also since the village had been fighting Pein's Six bodies learning what each one of them does and their limitations. Allowing Naruto to show off his sage mode, his work around, and the limitations of both the mode and the work around.

I forgot one Naruto v. the Third Raikage which was the last good fight of Naruto. That was because Naruto in that fight was a shadow clone, so he literally could not take a hit. The fight required him to try and find out how to beat the strongest of the Raikages when his ultimate attack didn't have an effect. So it was back to trickery and trying to figure out the strengths and weaknesses of his opponent.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 27 February 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#22 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 27 February 2017 - 10:45 PM

I personally don't think there was a certain point in the anime or manga when the fights started sucking, a lot of the fights up to Kaguya were honestly top. I'm a huge Gaara fan so i'm going to be biased and say all his fights were amazing. Gai vs Madara was also fantastic. but as soon as they started fighting Kaguya is when I believe the quality stopped which is actually when the entire manga went under in my honest opinion.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#23 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:29 PM

@bail
What is the problem that would plague part 2?

Kishi already did naruto and sasuke balancing in part 1. In fact I think sasuke doesn't live up to his title as genius.

No, the kakashivszabuza fight is not high class fight. The hokage and sanin fight are. It's the one who would give you picture of future battle in part 2.
Kakashi is jounin level at that time and he fight against a jounin level too thus make it an even match.

No "power Fest" happen in part 1 with the hokage battle.

Kishi can solved it by making the opponent strong rather than dumbing down the enemy. That's the problem with kishi part 2 is pretty much one asspull after another which hurt his action writting.

Yeah, I agree. naruto really need (solo) true fight in part 2. The first time he does that is in pein fight which is a nono for a protagonist of a battle manga.

#24 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:33 PM

@fyuria
The kaguya fight is actually the peak of bad action writting.
I think the battle start to suck in hidan and kakuzu arc. So yeah I agree with nate river.

#25 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:56 AM

Funny that you mentioned Hokage and Sanin, because even then, those felt not DBZ and not too op. It's like the largest scale of grounded fight. Instead, we went extra mile by whipping out meteor and stuff.

#26 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:26 AM

@fyuria
The kaguya fight is actually the peak of bad action writting.
I think the battle start to suck in hidan and kakuzu arc. So yeah I agree with nate river.

As I said the kaguya fight was bad imo

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#27 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:46 AM

@fyuria
It's not the only bad fight.

@touken
Tbf in that fight, they're using their full power and one way or another the fighter is handicap. In hokage they're fighting in confine area while the sannin fight not in prime condition.

The fights could show how the battle would in future just like how in dragonball when an old man capable to destroy moon with energy attack.
Eventhough the only time db goes "dbz" is in cell arc and buu arc.

So unless naruto capable to destroy a moon I wouldn't call it dbz which he did in the last :zaru:

Edited by rocci, 28 February 2017 - 02:48 AM.

#28 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:25 PM

Edo did get retcon or inserted in with "none of them were in full capacities back then" in the War Arc. Let's not forget, they have to force Minato to get massive boost as well in order to stay in level. To me, those fights were high level and I wouldn't mind. Instead we got flying, "is this ninja still" thoughts, and well, yeah, you get the picture.

Edited by TouKen4Life3g, 28 February 2017 - 12:25 PM.

#29 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,544 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:37 PM

Edo did get retcon or inserted in with "none of them were in full capacities back then" in the War Arc. Let's not forget, they have to force Minato to get massive boost as well in order to stay in level. To me, those fights were high level and I wouldn't mind. Instead we got flying, "is this ninja still" thoughts, and well, yeah, you get the picture.

Yes. At the time when Orochimaru summoned them what they were doing was the most powerful jutsu we had seen in Naruto so far. But overtime the story went to levels beyond it, that the battle seems quaint by the time we get to the war arc.

The first was especially hit hard since Tenzo was constantly around showing causally doing wood jutsu, and what Madara had been doing since he was revived. The second kishimoto basically said the he was a genius jutsu inventor the create the shadow clone, edo tensei, and the flying thunder god. The third you could justify because they did mention he knew of every jutsu in the village, was called "the professor," but old age had crippled him, which edo tensei fixed by giving him unlimited stamina. Minato was basically Naruto with flying thunder god instead of shadow clones, which was fine when he was facing Obito and A, but once Madara came into the scene and made every kage look like weakling; he needed a power boost from Kurama. 

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 28 February 2017 - 03:54 PM.

#30 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 10:24 PM

@touken
By the end of manga (war arc) the like minato, hiruzen, and kakashi are kind of weak. That's why minato get asspull kurama, hiruzen doesn't fight top tier, and kakashi is getting asspull sharingan.

I think edo tensei become cheap because how easy it to pull and how op they're. The number should be reduce.

Oh and what suck is that naruto only get true fight 3/4 years after the end of part 1. The fight again pain is naruto true fight in the long time.

#31 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:35 AM

@touken
By the end of manga (war arc) the like minato, hiruzen, and kakashi are kind of weak. That's why minato get asspull kurama, hiruzen doesn't fight top tier, and kakashi is getting asspull sharingan.

I think edo tensei become cheap because how easy it to pull and how op they're. The number should be reduce.

Oh and what suck is that naruto only get true fight 3/4 years after the end of part 1. The fight again pain is naruto true fight in the long time.

"I'm still the protagonist, right? Right?!" -Naruto Part 2

#32 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 04:37 AM

You know, the more I look back at that, it is pretty cheap to have him fall for it. There could have been a much clever way to do it, but the first stage is all it takes. At least it was smart when he fought Neji. That was nice.

You know, the more I look back at that, it is pretty cheap to have him fall for it. There could have been a much clever way to do it, but the first stage is all it takes. At least it was smart when he fought Neji. That was nice.

I think its a matter of knowing who the opponent is. It's easy to believe that some like Hidan, who was portrayed as a dim one-trick pony, would bite. It's hard to believe someone as experience as Kakuzu (who was said to have survived a fight with one the best ninja ever to live) would fall for it. It's lazy.

And it was super lame that Kakashi was technically the one to kill him so Naruto could be spared the trouble. 

#33 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

@nate
That's just shonen no murder policy.

I think it would be more appropriate if kakuzu get arrest.
Naruto doesn't need to kill and you don't need edo tensei.

#34 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 12:16 PM

I don't think Kishimoto thought of Hashirama to be the God of Shinobi at that time. But since he is now considered one, the fight back then only makes it seems odd. Like you survived against a God, so how can you not learn that?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users