55 replies to this topic

#1 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:38 AM

Im surprised he critic on kishis lack of art skills compared to oda and kubo in the early days and later on.

#2 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:11 AM

I haven't watch it yet, but imo kishi lack his own style and he's not that creative in term of character design which bite him back later.
Despite that his design is pleasent to the eye, I think that's one of the reason that make naruto popular in the first place.

#3 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:15 AM

I haven't seen it but yes, art wise, it's good but the more I look at others and more I look back, it's not all that great. I mean he can do it more than good, but I think in part 2, he just got too accustomed to anime art snapshot than a self-identity art.

#4 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:18 AM

I haven't watch it yet, but imo kishi lack his own style and he's not that creative in term of character design which bite him back later.
Despite that his design is pleasent to the eye, I think that's one of the reason that make naruto popular in the first place.

It is though. I mean if One Piece had it, even though it would lose identity, it would have been much more pleasing. Look at DBZ. They're macho and badass and so forth, so it's pleasing. It's similar to Erased, where people actually believe anime can be different and that series is like the first, when clearly, they have to branch out more.

#5 totherpage95

totherpage95

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 906 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:56 AM

i saw this review unfortunately it was recommended to me by youtube. i don't agree with his perspective that it made sense in the story for naruto to fall in love with hinata. on top of that for someone who claimed to not be into naruto he had a lot to say

#6 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 04:11 AM

I think most people who support nh think that
1. ss already canon or in their mind they already a couple.
2. Naruto doesn't love sakura.
3. Hinata is best girl compare to sakura.

#7 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:34 AM

I think most people who support nh think that
1. ss already canon or in their mind they already a couple.
2. Naruto doesn't love sakura.
3. Hinata is best girl compare to sakura.

Last one is the main reason. That's one of the factor of me saying, "This is why Naruto is a fan's manga."

That's one thing I appreciated Bleach more than Naruto.

Edited by TouKen4Life3g, 27 December 2016 - 05:40 AM.

#8 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:22 AM

Who doing the review? Is it a hinata fanboy?

4life; Hinata's fanbase largely exist primarily because of her coverage in the anime. If she was as shown in the anime as much as she was important to the story. Even people that watch Naruto religiously would forget about her by midway through the anime. Like people that only read the manga did constantly. But she was moe and had a large faction in the Naruto's anime team who supported her so, we are at where we are because of that.

Artwork: Compared to most shounen manga I have seen even the ones that fail,  Naruto artwork is fairly generic. There's a reason why they're so many fan artist that can mimic his art style perfectly. Even his replacement that pedophile's main problem is he was lazy and didn't practice enough before they started up the Boruto manga. When you look at the first chapter of the popular shounen manga kishi does tend one of the poorer showings (other then Boruto, that to be honest was one of the worst I've seen) with it being very messy and him not yet confront-able with drawing the characters, just look at Sakura at the beginning. Also he tended to stop improving his artwork at some point just started copying the anime designs and just refining it. He mention in an interview; that it was so that the anime team would have an easier time adapting his characters.

other. Remember since toonami got off prime time, and people decided it was Naruto's fault. It has never been popular to like Naruto since. People reference it (because most millennials at least know about it) and that's it. If they are fans of the series they kept in on the down low. Also because of the toxic nH fans that were completely obsessed with the pairings and ruined the reputation of the fanbase, and even soured a lot of fans opinion of Naruto.

Also most people overplay hinata's importance to the manga in the US fanbase because they sympathize with "the shy girl who just want the boy she has a crush on to be with her." Also add in the suicide/love confession as well as that generic speech after neji dies (which people again overplayed both), and that makes people think hinata has more importance to the plot then she really did. For the most part she is very unimportant to the plot at any point in the story; even when she is the mother of the main character of the sequel.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 03 January 2017 - 08:15 AM.

#9 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:55 AM

I always remember on how 615 has been said to feel out of place and it still does. It just seems like a twist of a muted character suddenly a philosopher and it was taken serious. I found myself thinking, "You know, if you want to pull that off, shouldn't you have been developed to earn that? In fact, why Naruto looked dazed now when the last page of last chapter looked pissed? Did I miss something?" It never seem to gel with the later scene as well.

#10 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:38 PM

I always remember on how 615 has been said to feel out of place and it still does. It just seems like a twist of a muted character suddenly a philosopher and it was taken serious. I found myself thinking, "You know, if you want to pull that off, shouldn't you have been developed to earn that? In fact, why Naruto looked dazed now when the last page of last chapter looked pissed? Did I miss something?" It never seem to gel with the later scene as well.

The thing is that kishimoto never had any personal investment in hinata nor the nH romance. He turned Sakura into an insert for his wife to please her, which it did until the ending. An change that she was not happy with; to a level that he felt had to mention it several times in public through interviews. Its really the reason why he was fighting so hard to keep Sakura the heroine to the end until he capitulated, because the NS romance was something to make his wife happy while he was constantly working; to show that he still loves her and is constantly thinking of her (same as Oda with Nami; since his wife loves to cosplay as her). Remember they did not go on their honeymoon till Naruto ended. 

So turning hinata a side character "that only existed to get beaten up by Neji so we would root harder for Naruto during their fight" suddenly becoming the love interest which the entire franchise suddenly now revolves around; who is also not based on his wife. Why would he want that? The fans (in theory) want it; so money. When profits doesn't come from the nH ending? Then why should he suddenly care about her? It the reason she is non-existent in the gaiden, barely there in the bolt movie, and the one-shot shows (along with everything else) a borderline passionless marriage with spoiled kids. Also similar negative traits and presentation for the SS relationship. He does not like these relationships and desperately want to leave the franchise to work on his next project.

Edit: Again who did the review?

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 27 December 2016 - 12:51 PM.

#11 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

So in short kishi sucks in storytelling,characterization and art?

#12 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 03:50 PM

Yes.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#13 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:34 PM

Average easy to copy art. Good introduction and initial characterization of his characters but poor follow-through beyond the arc they are introduced in. Standard story that was told well; until he got into conflict with his ever-changing new editors since the pein arc.

His main problem is not putting enough effort and thought into his work such as: "where do I want this story to go, what is the overall plan for this story, what messages do I want to send, where do I want this character to go, and so on."

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 27 December 2016 - 05:38 PM.

#14 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:45 PM

Average easy to copy art. Good introduction and initial characterization of his characters but poor follow-through beyond the arc they are introduced in. Standard story that was told well; until he got into conflict with his ever-changing new editors since the pein arc.

His main problem is not putting enough effort and thought into his work such as: "where do I want this story to go, what is the overall plan for this story, what messages do I want to send, where do I want this character to go, and so on."

Carrying it through is what he lacks significantly. Even with Toriyama always have an endpoint, he usually squeeze in a new moral and make it work.

#15 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

Yes and that is funny because hethought art was always his strong point! :lmao:

In any case I won't be reading anything of his again.

Edited by Phantom_999, 27 December 2016 - 05:53 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#16 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:54 PM

Carrying it through is what he lacks significantly. Even with Toriyama always have an endpoint, he usually squeeze in a new moral and make it work.

From what I understand Toriyama always basically wanted the arc he was working on to be the last one, but then his editor would convince him to do another arc. So he always had to make sure he wrap up the story because basically the ending of each arc; could have been the actual ending, if his editor wasn't able to convince him to continue.

#17 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:57 PM

Yes and that is funny because hethought art was always his strong point! :lmao:

In any case I won't be reading anything of his again.

He always had decent art but his strong points were his luck that he was able to land on toonnami, a loyal fanbase, and his his characters were likable and relate-able despite him doing very little with them. Until Naruto was destroyed in the last to justify him ending up with Hinata.

His art is also at least recognizable. To be honest if you want a genre where you can't tell most of the manga apart that would be shoujo. A lot of those manga do look the same.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 27 December 2016 - 06:13 PM.

#18 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 05:58 PM

From what I understand Toriyama always basically wanted the arc he was working on to be the last one, but then his editor would convince him to do another arc. So he always had to make sure he wrap up the story because basically the ending of each arc; could have been the actual ending, if his editor wasn't able to convince him to continue.

I know. The thing is a lot of character has their end, yet if Toriyama has to make a new one, he would squeeze in a new development and make it work. The ironic thing is that Kishi has one big story yet couldn't carry the first intention through; Toriyama has multiple stories yet could actually form a new development that ties in with the rest. Gohan in Cell Saga is the best example.

Edited by TouKen4Life3g, 27 December 2016 - 06:02 PM.

#19 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 06:07 PM

I know. The thing is a lot of character has their end, yet if Toriyama has to make a new one, he would squeeze in a new development and make it work. The ironic thing is that Kishi has one big story yet couldn't carry the first intention through; Toriyama has multiple stories yet could actually form a new development that ties in with the rest. Gohan in Cell Saga is the best example.

I read this recently but I can't remember where but really kishi after part 1 was basically just setting up "the battle at the valley of the end part 2 but this time Naruto won" with everything else in part 2 is just filler. When working with Yahagi both of them were able to get the ideas for most of part two out probably up till the war arc. Where then kishi had to rely on himself and his constantly changing editors. Which led to the last two hundred or so chapters being what they were. A messy with arcs with in arcs.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 27 December 2016 - 06:14 PM.

#20 T XD

T XD

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,778 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

I hope Kishimoto learned his lesson for his next manga. I'm going to give him a chance with his next manga by seeing if the hero and heroine are like Naruto and Sakura or at least similar in main characteristics, and if the story was good in some aspects.

If these two initials of mine are met then I'll read the first arc and see if I continue on with the manga afterwards.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users