Close
Photo

Has your opinion of Karin and SK changed?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:39 PM

Funny thing, since the terrible events of the ending, I have found that my opinion on Karin and SK in general has changed somewhat. I used to not really care about Karin, and I wasn't a fan of SK at all.

But after the manga ending and after reading Chatte's thread reminding me of Karin's role in healing Sasuke in the end, my view on Karin and SK started to soften.

At the end of the war arc, Karin alone saved Sasuke's life, just when Sakura was saving Naruto's. I never thought she'd play a role again outside of Team Taka, but she proved still loyal to Sasuke and was the only one who was concerned for him, sensing his imminent death and crying over him. Then going all out to save his life. Karin evolved from just being a comedic plot device to the one person with the skills to save his life and with the willingess to do it. She evolved from the selfish, bratty Karin of old to someone who genuinely cared for Sasuke and devoted herself completely to saving him.

As for SK, the parallel is clear. And after reading Chatte's theory and seeing the images of Sakura and Karins' efforts, the parallel is hard to deny. Karin was brought back in a tangible way that, I admit, I never expected. Basically, where I had always thought it was just another crack pairing, suddenly it became a real possibility in the plot, and one that actually made sense. Karin's stepping in for Sasuke was completely in character, and the thought of them winding up together didn't feel forced or ridiculous.

And in light of the real ending of the manga, the OOC-ness that is NH and SS, I really see the value of what SK could have meant to the plot. Karin was the only person in the whole manga I thought Part 2 Sasuke would fit well with. (I'll admit some argument can be made for Part 1 Sasuke to return to Sakura, but that person from part 1 has long been dead and buried.) I thought either Sasuke would wind up a lone traveler, like Jiraiya, or he'd be with Karin. A resolution that would unite Uchiha and Uzumakis once and for all.

Anyway, one of the surprising things to come from the end of the manga is the fact that my view on Karin and SK have changed. Anyone else feel like this? Have a dislike that has slipped into an acceptance? Or maybe even a regret that they couldn't have gotten together, when you never shipped SK in the past?

#2 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

My opinion on Karin changed long ago, so yes. :P What I really like about NS and SK both is that the pairings lifestyles fit. They can live together and be happy because they are constantly together, and walk the same road. SS for instance, Sasuke wants to travel the world, and Sakura doesn't - that's how it's portrayed in the epilogue. We might not know about NH and SS daily life, but we only got one sneak peek of SS and nothing of NH. One page and Kishi chose to show Sasuke out somewhere, and Sakura doing her chores. That was also my last goodbye to her, my favourite character cleaning her house - I wish it'd been more meaningful than that. :cry:

ナルサク

#3 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 02:57 PM

No.

The handling of Karin was so poor that my opinion of that pairing will never change. I couldn't take her seriously as a character then and I don't now.

#4 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:16 PM

No.

The handling of Karin was so poor that my opinion of that pairing will never change. I couldn't take her seriously as a character then and I don't now.

Haha! As expected! I should have put in the tags that this thread excludes Nate River!!  :lol:

#5 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

In an way, I suppose. The way I see it, Karin would be the only person that could stomach Sasuke after all his antics, while being tied down to Karin would be an punishment of sorts to Sasuke, having to endure her obsessive nature for all his life. Either way, I will aways see Karin as an missed opportunity. I think it would have been an genious move from Kishi to have Karin assassinate Sasuke near the end of the manga. After all he survived, Sasuke would have been killed by an nobody when it comes to fighting, and that would have been an really cool twist. The classic, "Karma aways comes to bite in the ass in the most unexpected ways".

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#6 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 04:23 PM

I lost respect for Karins character after she returned drooling to Sasuke following her attempted murder by his hands

I would gladly support SK if that event made karin stop being a Sasukes fangirl and made her actually call the guy on his kitten some times, like when he tried to apologize to her with a simple sorry.

Kishimoto lost a big opportunity with her character, such a shame.

Edited by Nar123, 12 December 2014 - 06:21 PM.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#7 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

she ahs called him on his BS before back before the battle with itachi, and after the fight with deidara.

My opiniojn Karin remains strong, shes a solid character and the developing relationship between her and Sasuke was moving along at a good pace before the fiasco of an ending shoehorned Sasuke into a Sakura fanboi, and stomped on Sakuras development

My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#8 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:14 PM

Funny thing, since the terrible events of the ending, I have found that my opinion on Karin and SK in general has changed somewhat. I used to not really care about Karin, and I wasn't a fan of SK at all.

But after the manga ending and after reading Chatte's thread reminding me of Karin's role in healing Sasuke in the end, my view on Karin and SK started to soften.

At the end of the war arc, Karin alone saved Sasuke's life, just when Sakura was saving Naruto's. I never thought she'd play a role again outside of Team Taka, but she proved still loyal to Sasuke and was the only one who was concerned for him, sensing his imminent death and crying over him. Then going all out to save his life. Karin evolved from just being a comedic plot device to the one person with the skills to save his life and with the willingess to do it. She evolved from the selfish, bratty Karin of old to someone who genuinely cared for Sasuke and devoted herself completely to saving him.

As for SK, the parallel is clear. And after reading Chatte's theory and seeing the images of Sakura and Karins' efforts, the parallel is hard to deny. Karin was brought back in a tangible way that, I admit, I never expected. Basically, where I had always thought it was just another crack pairing, suddenly it became a real possibility in the plot, and one that actually made sense. Karin's stepping in for Sasuke was completely in character, and the thought of them winding up together didn't feel forced or ridiculous.

And in light of the real ending of the manga, the OOC-ness that is NH and SS, I really see the value of what SK could have meant to the plot. Karin was the only person in the whole manga I thought Part 2 Sasuke would fit well with. (I'll admit some argument can be made for Part 1 Sasuke to return to Sakura, but that person from part 1 has long been dead and buried.) I thought either Sasuke would wind up a lone traveler, like Jiraiya, or he'd be with Karin. A resolution that would unite Uchiha and Uzumakis once and for all.

Anyway, one of the surprising things to come from the end of the manga is the fact that my view on Karin and SK have changed. Anyone else feel like this? Have a dislike that has slipped into an acceptance? Or maybe even a regret that they couldn't have gotten together, when you never shipped SK in the past?

I myself always felt that Taka was necessary for Sasuke, since he felt more like himself around them than he ever did around Team Kakashi, and the fact even as dysfunctional as they were, they all were willing to protect each other, even if as Sasuke kept getting twisted by his hatred and his desire to want to make himself feel better because of what he learned... and even as he used them as tools and ditched them. It makes me sad they had to get ignored, and I feel that in the long run that they deserved better, like the whole series did.

#9 AHK

AHK

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,464 posts
  • Interests:One Piece, Tokyo Ghoul, The Breaker, Fairy Tail, BnHA, Twin Star Exorcists, Shokugeki no Soma, Owari no Seraph, BnHA, Akatsuki no Yona, Noragami, Magi, Akame Ga Kill, Attack on Titan, HotD, SAO, HxH, Ao no Exorcist, NnT

LuNa, Touken, EragonxArya, MiriShep, NS, SoumaxErina, IzuOcha, RokuBeni, NaLu, ShioonxJinnie, YuxShinoa, HakYona, SaberxShirou, Yatori, MK, EreMika

Posted 12 December 2014 - 06:46 PM

Ehh. I can't really say. The only thing I ever shipped in Naruto was NS and later MK (because we all know how cute MK is) because I was actually emotionally invested in both Naruto and Sakura. I've never been that way about Sasuke it Karin. For the majority of the manga, my view on Sasuke has been neutral/borderline negative, and I've been neutral to Karin, so I've never actually cared about SK. I can't really say that it's changed my opinion as I've never really had the opinion in the first place.

EXL5X4B.png

"I am the One-Eyed King."

#10 LuckyChi7

LuckyChi7

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,421 posts
  • Interests:Writing

CloTi (Cloud x Tifa)

HarLie (Haru x Elie)

NaLu (Natsu x Lucy)

Shicca (Shiki x Rebecca)

JioRub (Jio x Ruby)

TouKen (Ken Kaneki x Touka Kirishima)

LuNa (Luffy x Nami)

IzuOcha (Deku x Ochako)

Kirisuna (Kirito x Asuna)

Kataang (Aang x Katara)

EreHisu (Eren x Historia)

Astelle (Asta x Noelle)

NaruSaku (Naruto x Sakura)

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:18 PM

Like how I view NS my viewpoint on SK never changed.  Sasuke and Karin from the Team Taka's introduction I knew there was something special about those two. I noticed how after every Arc involving Naruto, Sakura would always be there to support him. After the arc involving Naruto was done we'd switch with Sasuke, and like Sakura, Karin would always be there for him no matter what. I was always found some kind of parallel going on between NS and SK because in the Sai and Sasuke Arc, Sakura got to see Naruto in his darkest hour, and with during the Five Kage Summit Arc, Karin got to see Sasuke in his darkest hour too. In a way you can say it's like two sides of the same coin, and that's what I was also thinking. To back up my theory we got 662 and 663 when Naruto and Sasuke were literally on the verge of death and how we saw both girls doing everything they can to save the man they love. It was at that point where I said "Alright everything is set. That should be a obvious hint that Kishi is gonna make NS and SK the final pairings in the end." and you know what, I'm still gonna stand by that idea because like everyone else I believe Kishi is just hiding the truth from everyone. That's exactly why he's been saying things that make no sense since 699, 700, and especially The Last surfaced.

Edited by LuckyChi7, 12 December 2014 - 07:18 PM.

4e26f1bc8d604925166ad9bb2f431f5cc8eb6385

THAT'S WHAT HEROES DO, THEY SAVE PEOPLE!!

#11 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:01 PM

I lost respect for Karins character after she returned drooling to Sasuke following her attempted murder by his hands

Pretty much this for me too. Any respect I had for Karin blew up when she didn't actually get over him. Any shipping arguments for Sasuke don't work for me, since he's never shown romantic interest in anyone. The only person he ever had 'eyes' for is Naruto, and thats not in a romantic way. Shipping Karin with him is no different than shipping Sakura with him, in my opinion. Neither girl deserved to gain the readers respect by being forced to act irreversibly in love with him.

#12 Question22

Question22

TNJ master

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 406 posts
  • Interests:Love to read manga , like to read fanfictions too

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:08 PM

I have been shipping SK right when i saw Karin trying to help Sasuke , sure its a bit of a shallow love but what about SasuSaku? it was a shallow love on Sakura's side too and SK was more healthy than SasuSaku ever would be but hey Kishi doesnt think twice when he writes does he?

Our ship has maybe sank but our memories of debate , struggling , defending ... will stay in our hearths

-Question22

#13 shisui

shisui

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:20 AM

I've always disliked Karin and SasuKarin. She is a joke character and their relationship is non existant. Nothing has changed and I see no reason for it to change.

Edited by shisui, 13 December 2014 - 01:21 AM.

#14 Aizen-Sama

Aizen-Sama

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 02:31 AM

As I've said before I hate Sasukarin and believe Sasuke should've been alone. I don't need to ship him with a girl he stabbed in order to feel more secure about my own OTP.
I like Karin and at one point supported SK but not after the Danzo fight and when Karin said "it felt so good" when Sasuke stabbed her. I get why many NS fans would support SK but it's extremely hypocritical considering how we criticize SS.
Maybe in fanfiction before the Danzo fight I could like sasukarin but I honestly believe it wouldn't have worked out. Karin's obsession was too one-sided no matter how much she "cared" for Sasuke (lots of people cared for Sasuke but we're not shipping them with him are we?)
Sorry. Shipping SK just makes me feel hypocritical.

#15 Nar123

Nar123

The Phantom

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,624 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

As I've said before I hate Sasukarin and believe Sasuke should've been alone. I don't need to ship him with a girl he stabbed in order to feel more secure about my own OTP.
I like Karin and at one point supported SK but not after the Danzo fight and when Karin said "it felt so good" when Sasuke stabbed her. I get why many NS fans would support SK but it's extremely hypocritical considering how we criticize SS.
Maybe in fanfiction before the Danzo fight I could like sasukarin but I honestly believe it wouldn't have worked out. Karin's obsession was too one-sided no matter how much she "cared" for Sasuke (lots of people cared for Sasuke but we're not shipping them with him are we?)
Sorry. Shipping SK just makes me feel hypocritical.

This
I was disgusted by Karins character after the Danzo fight.

tumblr_obno1yoNj11suy1fso1_540.gif

:eager:  Persona 5 hype     :eager:

#16 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 13 December 2014 - 05:54 PM

No. I still don't like SK, and I still think Karin is one of the most offensive female characters I've ever seen. There is a small part of me that is relieved the pairing didn't happen, though SS is hardly a better alternative. Regardless, I would never be able to ship SK in good conscience for the same reasons I cannot ship SS. Both are just horrible.

#17 Aizen-Sama

Aizen-Sama

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:39 PM

Yes I hated how Karin still "loved" Sasuke after what he did to her. She was treated like a crazy joke with no self respect. Sh*tmoto can't give any female character a break.

#18 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 11:19 AM

Karin is mashocist. Kishi doesn't portray her as positive character, but more neutral one.

#19 somilmish

somilmish

Ghost

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 304 posts
  • Interests:Tanki Online, Physics, Pottermore, Snape FF, Naruto, Fanfiction, Call of Duty, Total War series, AC, SC, etc .

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

I kinda hate karin too. What she feels for sasuke isn't love, but an obsession. Kinda like sakura, but sakura at least knew him more. Karin is in love with his percieved cool, dark persona. Some girls just like bad guys, I guess. So, no. My perception didn't change. I am of the opinion that sasuke deserved to die alone. No uchiha should spawn, ever.
6r1oag.jpg

#20 Aizen-Sama

Aizen-Sama

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,097 posts

Posted 15 January 2015 - 05:49 AM

I kinda hate karin too. What she feels for sasuke isn't love, but an obsession. Kinda like sakura, but sakura at least knew him more. Karin is in love with his percieved cool, dark persona. Some girls just like bad guys, I guess. So, no. My perception didn't change. I am of the opinion that sasuke deserved to die alone. No uchiha should spawn, ever.

Amen!! XD I do feel bad for Sasuke since his entire family was murdered but I believe he was destined to suffer forever. I like Karin for comedy reasons but her obsession with Sasuke is disgusting. I'd never support SK. The last thing Sasuke deserved was the heroine and it makes me angry how he got with her. That's Naruto's GF you bastard!!
So yeah... He should've died alone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users