#1 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:18 AM

Oy. Asian Cinema fans.

Tired of not being able to post a good Martial Art film you recently watched and discuss it with people? The film discussion thread? PFFFFFFFFFFFFT. Not worthy of a Bruce Lee or Jet Li movie.

I guess most of you are wondering:

"HYAAAAAAAAAAH".

No. No Iron Monkey/Shaolin Monk stuff in here.

Martial Art/Drama/Action/Other Asian film discussion in here. Do it. Since I figure we never went this diverse. Tell us what you liked about it, what needs to be worked on and whether you would buy it or rent it or recommend it to the forum.

NOW START!

Or he'll kick your ass.

#2 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:41 AM

I like this thread, especially since i just started watching a bunch of asian movies recently, although, dunno how popular this thread will be. Hopefully their are a few asian cinema fans in here so i can get more recommendations biggrin.gif

Anyway, the last Asian movie i watched was Armour of God, a Jackie Chan film from 1987 in which one of the stunts almost killed him and put a hole in his head. As you can expect from most Jackie Chan films, it was a pretty decent movie with great stunts, great comedy and a half decent plot, definitely not one of his best films, but still an enjoyable ride nonetheless. Im surprised Jackie actually did the stunt that almost killed him again in that film, even if it was a pretty simple one (simple by his standards anyway).

Overall, 7/10, if you like comedy/action and Jackie Chan, i think you should watch this biggrin.gif

#3 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:48 AM

My turn? My turn.

The last martial arts film I watched? Ip Man.

I thoroughly enjoyed this biopic action movie on Bruce Lee's master. The cinematography was great, and the fight scenes were very well choreographed. Donnie Yen does his job as an actor and martial artist well, even going out of his way to learn the Wing Chun martial art just to film this movie. A must watch for martial art film fanatics like me and Rick.

I recommend buying this movie, if not renting. 10/10

biggrin.gif

#4 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:55 AM

And now, for something COMPLETELY different.... a movie by Japanese director Takashi Miike:

Sukiyaki Western Django! --Click here to view--

#5 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:55 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jul 15 2009, 03:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My turn? My turn.

The last martial arts film I watched? Ip Man.

I thoroughly enjoyed this biopic action movie on Bruce Lee's master. The cinematography was great, and the fight scenes were very well choreographed. Donnie Yen does his job as an actor and martial artist well, even going out of his way to learn the Wing Chun martial art just to film this movie. A must watch for martial art film fanatics like me and Rick.

I recommend buying this movie, if not renting. 10/10

biggrin.gif

Ip man was great, I cant wait for the sequel. Donnie Yen is such a fantastic martial artist, I should try and get my hands on more of his movies, since I've loved everything I've seen him in.

#6 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:40 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Jul 15 2009, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And now, for something COMPLETELY different.... a movie by Japanese director Takashi Miike:

Sukiyaki Western Django! --Click here to view--

Highly mediocre film, that just fails almost all expectations of it. Don't let the trailers fool you. The english bothers me, because it gets in the way of the acting, and it's just really stale in terms of action. When they tell stories in the movie it's enjoyable, but other than that, everything else just is boring... Except the giant machine gun.

Lost in Time o.k.a."Mong Bat Liu" I think Cecilia Cheung is beautiful, sure she's got a raspy voice, but she can be funny, and that's beautiful,... but that's not my bias. I think she's been a great actress since her beginning in the Stephon Chow Film King of Comedy, especially in the film Failan, which is an ambitious movie that just runs much too long. I actually recommend all the titles I just listed, but make sure you make time for Failan.

Lost in Time is great because of the acting. The story is fairly simple and it doesn't present anything new, and it's a drama so there's no special effects, so if that's your thing look elsewhere. It's a great movie about being human and picking up the pieces of your life when everything has been so shattered.

I'm excited that there's a thread like this. I have mucho movies to discuss.

A good comedy I would recommend is a film called: Kikujiro no Natsu simply called Kikujiro in the US. Directed by the director of the popular modern Zatoichi film "Beat" Takeshi Kitano. It's a great lit dramedy about a kid traveling japan to finally meet his mom. It's heart breaking in some points, and it's a little longer in some shots, but there are pocket bursts of humor and oddities.

Speaking of Zatoichi, the blind swordsman, anyone else excited for the remake (not a giant follower of the stories I know its been re-made and re-imagined many times) but this time it's a girl. tongue.gif You can view clips of it here.

On to more fisty-cuffs martial arts stuff. Has anyone seen the Chocolate film? not the one with Johnny Depp, but the one about the autistic girl who's heightened ability is to beat the crap out of people. It's made by the same people who made the Tony Jaa vehicles the Ong Bak series and the Protector? I wonder if it's any good. The impacts didn't seem as good. What are your thoughts on the Muy Thai kick-boxer films vs the chinese Martial arts films? I think the Chinese martial arts films are more beautiful to watch with better stories but the Muy Thai kick-boxer films are more visceral and pleasing to the bone crunchingness... although the Protector was just down right bad and boring.

Edited by chouzu_tao, 15 July 2009 - 06:59 PM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#7 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:54 AM

QUOTE (chouzu_tao @ Jul 15 2009, 04:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On to more fisty-cuffs martial arts stuff. Has anyone seen the Chocolate film? not the one with Johnny Depp, but the one about the autistic girl who's heightened ability is to beat the crap out of people. It's made by the same people who made the Tony Jaa vehicles the Ong Bak series and the Protector? I wonder if it's any good. The impacts didn't seem as good. What are your thoughts on the Muy Thai kick-boxer films vs the chinese Martial arts films? I think the Chinese martial arts films are more beautiful to watch with better stories but the Muy Thai kick-boxer films are more visceral and pleasing to the bone crunchingness... although the Protector was just down right bad and boring.

I recently watched Chocolate, and i personally thought it was great, although I also thought The Protector was great too chou, so I'm not sure if you'll like Chocolate lol. But yeah, give it a try, Im pretty sure its better than both The Protector and Ong Bak 2, but not better than the first Ong Bak.

As for Chinese martial arts films verse Muay Thai films, well, I personally prefer Chinese martial art films, but they have been around alot longer i think, so, given time, I believe they could catch up to the awesomeness of Chinese movies, especially since they take their time to make the movies.

#8 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:07 PM

It may just be me, but your Zatoichi link might be broken, or it's gone. Led me to an error screen.

#9 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:58 PM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Jul 15 2009, 12:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It may just be me, but your Zatoichi link might be broken, or it's gone. Led me to an error screen.

The website is down currently.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#10 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:25 PM

Ughhhhhhhh.

Just watched Ong-Bak 2, man... I am not watching another Tony Jaa film. This movie had nice choreographed scenes, but the story was jumping everywhere. I understand the cliffhanger sets it up for a sequel, but the muddled story here and there just messed it up for me.

Wouldn't recommend it.

5/10

#11 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 12:03 AM

Anyone mentioned Flashpoint yet? If nothing else, the Donnie Yen vs. Collin Chou fight in the end is badass. Sha Po Lang or Killzone in America is also another great Donnie Yen movie, while only having 3 fights in the whole movie, the plot is well done and those 3 fights are awesomely done.

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 16 July 2009 - 12:04 AM.

#12 Dark

Dark

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:I like writing, reading, working out, and being online. :3

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:21 AM

Portrait of a Beauty. smile.gif

#13 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 02:26 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Jul 16 2009, 10:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone mentioned Flashpoint yet? If nothing else, the Donnie Yen vs. Collin Chou fight in the end is badass. Sha Po Lang or Killzone in America is also another great Donnie Yen movie, while only having 3 fights in the whole movie, the plot is well done and those 3 fights are awesomely done.

Ive seen both, and i love both, like i said before, Donnie Yen is brilliant. If you haven't seen Dragon Tiger Gate or Iron Monkey, i recommend you watch both. Iron Monkey is a fair bit older, but still a very good film.

#14 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 03:50 AM

QUOTE (shadow_Uzumaki @ Jul 15 2009, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Flashpoint is definately amazing, but again, I just feel like they're trying to get the gritty bone crunching feel of Muay Thai kick-boxing, plus the newly popular MMA.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#15 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 05:05 AM

I saw Dragon Tiger Gate, brilliant fights.

#16 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 17 July 2009 - 03:41 AM

KungFu Hustle: well... just like all Stephen Chow movies its quite funny and I personally enjoy the dry humour and Chow's Funny acting but I think the special effect is quite over the top and it kinda ruin the whole film but its still pretty much a decent watch.

Some people asked me before if I have to choose between Jackie Chan and Stephen Chow, my answer was: Why should I choose? I want them to work together, now that gonna be kickass.

Another film that I recommend to watch would be The One by Jet Lee, great action and special effect with interesting plot, all around great movie if not too short and too fast...

Edited by BlackLightning, 17 July 2009 - 03:43 AM.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#17 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:16 AM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Jul 15 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ughhhhhhhh.

Just watched Ong-Bak 2, man... I am not watching another Tony Jaa film. This movie had nice choreographed scenes, but the story was jumping everywhere. I understand the cliffhanger sets it up for a sequel, but the muddled story here and there just messed it up for me.

Wouldn't recommend it.

5/10

Yeah, it's production is a mess all over the board. Tony Jaa tried to direct and star, and it was confirmed that he just one day had a break down and left for several days, or weeks I can't remember, with no word to the studio. I believe at the time they were also over budget and time. So they brought in another director to finish it. It's no surprise the film may just be garbled junk.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#18 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 10:56 AM

Ahh... I haven't watched any new Asian movies in years. Here's some of my recommendations:

1. The Classic (Korean)
2. Anna Magdalena (Chinese)
3. Those Were The Days (Chinese) <---- Also watch the Young and the Dangerous series
4. Il Mare (Korean)
5. My Sassy Girl (Korean)
6. Windstruck (Korean)
7. Para Para Sakura (Chinese) <--- IMO not a really good movie, but I like it anyway XD
8. BRUCE LEE MOVIES. <---In Cantonese, none of the American dub crap.

kthx. biggrin.gif

Edited by JoHamSandwich, 17 July 2009 - 10:57 AM.

#19 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:22 AM

Update. biggrin.gif

Shinjuku Incident - 8/10

Jackie Chan's first heavy drama role, if I'm not mistaken. Japanese/Chinese star-studded cast in this movie of crime and drama. Very little action and it keeps you on your toes. Be warned though, as it contains lots of graphic scenes including sex, and severed limbs. Jackie Chan plays Steelhead, an illegal immigrant that boated over to join his friends in working in Shinjuku and eventually get tangled in the ways of the Yakuza with severe consequences.

Not for the faint of heart. I recommend watching it, but I'm a bit squeamish at gory scenes.

#20 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 25 July 2009 - 07:28 PM

This.

And...

Teh end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic