328 replies to this topic

#101 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:28 AM

Things just went from bad to worse. And from worse to suck.

Reactor number 3 has just exploded at the Nuclear plant according to NHK. And residents in the North are told to head for higher ground after a 3-5M sea level change. There are reports of a Second Tsunami.

http://twitpic.com/49axa7 Here's a photo of the hydrogen explosion

Edited by Insurrection, 14 March 2011 - 02:40 AM.

#102 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:32 AM

Oh... great...

#103 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:09 AM

The reactor is intact, just hydrogen explosion, but still on the edge.

Tsunami warnings cancelled so that's good news.

sad.gif But, they found 2000 bodies in Miyagi provence.

#104 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 03:12 AM

These sort of situations are exactly why nuclear power has a bad name.
bd5.jpg

#105 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 14 March 2011 - 04:17 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Mar 12 2011, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There are several reasons this comparison sucks. For one thing, one was a natural disaster and one was a tragedy caused by the cruelty of other men. If there really happened to be some correlation, both events on both dates would be the result of nature, not coincidence. For another, going by that logic, Katrina would be the most comparable loss of life in the US this past decade, but 8/29/05 doesn't add up so neatly so of course that's not the one used. Then there's the matter of the reality that... the Mayan calender isn't ending! It's just going from Baktun 12 to Baktun 13 on that date.

Oh I don't believe in this sort of jumbo anyway, I just thought it was interesting.
But a point you did make.

#106 Guest_Kodachi Claws_*

Guest_Kodachi Claws_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:55 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Mar 13 2011, 08:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
These sort of situations are exactly why nuclear power has a bad name.

It really is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Considering fossil fuels are being depleted and a factor in ACC, we probably would have to switch to Nuclear as our main power source, at least in the short term before we can develop others sufficiently. On the other hand, when disaster strikes...well, you get something like this (although offshore drilling these days seem to be disasters waiting to happen as well). If nothing else, these plants are far better built that Chernobyl was (that may not be saying much though), and this is a rather unusual situation for Japan; I'm sure the companies in charge of this plant did their best to prepare for these disasters, but nothing could have prepared anyone for this.

#107 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (ciardha @ Mar 13 2011, 11:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Exactly. Please folks, resist the impulse to turn this into a "tragedy Olympics". Think about how we Americans felt about Hurricane Katrina.

Actually, I think of it as this way. A country is made up of its people. Without people, there wouldn't be a country at all. By losing so many people, your country is basically destroyed. What I feel about Japan's disaster in terms of body count is that they fared better than we did. The shock of losing 100.000 to me is very great compared to 10.000. Both of them are great numbers, but to me 100.000 leaves a much bigger impact on me. This disaster is definitely as devastating the Aceh disaster because I felt the same thing I felt when I read about the Aceh Tsunami. But if there's any consolation to go by, at least Japan had lesser death counts than we did because they were better prepared.

Besides, wasn't there one earthquake that Japan experienced in the past that was worse off than this?? they should be glad that by preparing themselves better, they didn't lose as much people. AS A NATION.

As a nation, Japan should feel grateful they didn't lose as many people in the past. Japan should feel PROUD that they managed to save a lot of people and managed to keep the death count as low as possible. They already did what they could, and the result was that they managed to keep the death count lower than in the past. This is thanks to their ideas of building earthquake-proof houses and holding emergency drills in preparation for this. They should be grateful for their efforts that prevented more people from dying.

And no, the comparisons I made was to point out my astonishment that even though there's so much destruction, they still managed to keep the deaths lower than we did. Meaning, their efforts in facing disasters like this really paid off. And Japan SHOULD be proud their efforts in preventing as many deaths as possible paid off. Whereas we were totally unprepared. I'm not trying to make Aceh or Japan's disaster look insignificant. If you think about it, we were totally unprepared for something like that back in 2004 which is completely UNDERSTANDABLE because it is very rare for us. But for Japan, it's not too rare for them, therefore they managed to prevent the deaths from rising so high. But for us, it was inevitable that the death count was so high, which is understandable and expected because we weren't prepared for it. In short, like I said, their efforts really paid off and they should be grateful for it. If they didn't put so much effort in it, they could've very well turned into another Aceh. I wouldn't want them to lose as much as we did, we were bad enough, and we definitely don't want anybody to suffer as much as we did. That's why I was relieved they managed to prevent so many deaths.

This is what I was getting at. Hopefully you understand what I'm trying to convey.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#108 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:23 PM

Japan's downplaying the thing. USS Ronald Reagan was 100 miles offshore and recieved 1 month of radiation in an hour.

http://www.huffingto...1_n_835279.html The fuel rods are melting.

#109 alexander

alexander

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,158 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:12 PM

If things are like this and the radiation levels are going critical, this indeed have a good chance to turn in another chernobyl in case some drastic precautions aren't taken.

tumblr_noy9ox76Ku1rr9dcxo9_250.gif

#110 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 14 March 2011 - 06:57 PM

The earthquake shifted Japan 15 feet closer to the United States, sunk Japan by two feet, shifted the earth's axis by 6.5 inches and shortened the days by 1.6 microseconds O.o

http://news.yahoo.co...e-of-the-planet

#111 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:08 PM

yeah that last one is the oen that blows my mind utterly.

The planets rotation was shortened by 1.6 micro seconds. this quake actually shifted the planets orbit *mind boggle*
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#112 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 14 March 2011 - 07:44 PM

Codus, people all over the world expressed horror over what happened in Aceh, Indonesia in 2004. Aid poured in from all over the world, and something good came out of that great tragedy- there was finally peace agreement between GAM and the Indonesian government that is still holding.

This earthquake/tsunami/nuclear power plant meltdown to the Japanese people is the worst thing that has happened to them since WWII. Numbers of dead isn't the focus. It's the shock of the deaths no matter how few. For example, 31 people were killed in Brandenburg, KY on April 3, 1974 (as the result of an F5 tornado that was part of the infamous Super Outbreak ) in a town of then less than 3,000 but people all over Kentucky were stunned and mourned those that died. I didn't know any of those people and I was just 7 1/2 years old when that tornado happened, an F4 tornado killed 3 people in my hometown of Louisville (a metro area even then of over 700,000 people, nowadays over 1 million) but memories of the shock and devastation in my town and in Brandenburg is still vivid in my mind almost 40 years later.

We suffered far few deaths due actually having a city wide warning system and the very low tech radar of the time, but mainly because one of our AM radio traffic reporters of that time was actually in the air in his helicopter, warning people of where the tornado was headed.

The good thing that came out of that tragic weather desister was a major technological push and upping in federal funding for better radar and alert systems throughout the country. In 1974 my lucky town had around 30 seconds warning of an tornado touchdown, nowadays even most rural locations can have as much as 30 minutes. 30 seconds is just about long enough to grab a radio and flee to a basement, nothing else. Nowadays I have time to get dressed- if I'm in my nightgown, get my important documents and smaller precious things down to the basement, fill up a water container, grab my radio, cell phone and laptop and head to the basement.

Edited by ciardha, 14 March 2011 - 08:02 PM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#113 Ulgamoth

Ulgamoth

H&E's Sun Pokemon

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:I like Naruto, hence me being here. I also enjoy Death Note manga, Dragon Ball and DBZ manga and Full Metal Alchemist manga. In to metal music but can listen to ALMOST anything. Love playing video games, specifically Pokemon. Currently working on Pokemon Black. Spore is EPIC and so is Fallout New Vegas. Disturbed in the house, droppin' plates!

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:09 PM

So… does this mean no new chapter this week?

Deep in the jungle camouflaged by all the fallen leaves
A hand holds up the sky while shamefully I make my plea
The alter's callin' but my legs won't seem to stand
Guess I'm a coward scared to face the man I am

#114 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:21 PM

QUOTE (Kaiō-Ken @ Mar 14 2011, 04:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is that really important considering the death and devastation they have to deal with right now?

#115 Jenskott

Jenskott

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,419 posts
  • Interests:Comic-books: Superman, Spider-Man, Fantastic Four, Batman, X-Men...
    Manga/anime: Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya, Kimagure Orange Road, Fist of North Star, Touch, City Hunter, Rurouni Kenshin, Mazinger Z, Devilman, Cutey Honey, Daimos, Space Battleship Yamato, Captain Harlock, Gundam, Bubblegum Crisis, Lone wolf and Cub, Naruto...
    Cartoons: Ninja Turtles, The Transformers, Thundercats, G. I. Joe, The Real ghostbusters, He-Man, SilverHawks, Batman TAS, Avatar...
    Videogames: Super Mario Bros, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, King of Fighters, Earthbound, Golden Sun, Castlevania, Fire Emblem, Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Kid Icarus, Final Fantasy, Sonic, Alex Kid, Golden Axe, Phantasy Star, Shining Force, Panzer Dragoon, Street Fighter, Mega Man, Crash Bandicoot, Medievil, Dragon Quest, Secret of Mana, Terranigma...
    Movies: Riders of Lost Ark, The Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, The Ghostbusters, Highlander, Robocop, Return to Oz, Conan the Barbarian, The Goonies...
    Books: The Lord of the Rings, The Neverending Story, The Wizard of Oz, Dracula, Treasure's Island, Journey to the Center of Earth, The Black Arrow, Alice in Wonderland...

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

That is a tad... callous, don't you think?

Who cares if there is no Naruto chapter this week? Kishimoto has more important things to be concerned about right now.

Personally I am horrified by the earthquake. It was terrifying watching the sea invading and flooding the land and sweeping and wiping everything out. And the bad news are piling up...

My heart and my prayers go to everyone in Japan right now.

Nonetheless, that people has lived through worse disasters... and has endured. They will recover. I know they will do.

Regarding missing mangakas, do I think Rumiko Takahashi and Naoko Takeuchi had already been found? And apparently Takehiko Inoue (creator of Slam Dunk) is alive. However there is no word about Go Nagai or Masami Kurumada...

super-robot-wars-poster.jpg

Do you want to take over the world, huh? Well, you'll have to go through us first!

#116 Ulgamoth

Ulgamoth

H&E's Sun Pokemon

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:I like Naruto, hence me being here. I also enjoy Death Note manga, Dragon Ball and DBZ manga and Full Metal Alchemist manga. In to metal music but can listen to ALMOST anything. Love playing video games, specifically Pokemon. Currently working on Pokemon Black. Spore is EPIC and so is Fallout New Vegas. Disturbed in the house, droppin' plates!

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Mar 14 2011, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is that really important considering the death and devastation they have to deal with right now?

The death toll is gonna climb even higher if I don't find out what happens next on Naruto!
But I am legitimately sad for them, dbagness aside. dry.gif

#117 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:23 PM

Tokyo, was relatively unscathed and according to everything I've heard- including from Kia Asamiya on Twitter, little to no delays in manga publishing, so it's likely there will be a release this week, but it depends on if the spoiler suppliers in Japan whether we get anything this week or not. They may have other things on their minds over new manga chapters.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#118 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:24 PM

QUOTE (Kaiō-Ken @ Mar 14 2011, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The death toll is gonna climb even higher if I don't find out what happens next on Naruto!

Wow...that's kind of an a-holish statement to make, I really have to say mellow.gif

#119 Ulgamoth

Ulgamoth

H&E's Sun Pokemon

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Mar 14 2011, 04:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow...that's kind of an a-holish statement to make, I really have to say mellow.gif

I agree, I just enjoy that kind of humor, not saying it's funny they are in peril but that I'm enough of a dbag to say it.

#120 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 14 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

facepalm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users