3357 replies to this topic

#3221 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 05:48 AM

We can tell Souma lost this battle just from the stakes. That's one of the major flaws with a manga like this, if the stakes are high the hero cannot lose, but if the stakes are non-existent or of low value, you know out Hero is going to lose.

A major problem is that their either the highest stakes (Souma will be expelled), or no stakes (just a friendly competition between someone far better then him); there is no middle ground in this manga, and because of that after a certain point there are no stakes. If Souma is expelled that's the end of the story, and he normally impresses the person he has a friendly spar with that it clear he will surpass them by the time they have a serious match. The Autumn moon festival was interesting because it was just a competition between the the top students, and there was no threat of expulsion. 

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 20 August 2018 - 01:27 PM.

#3222 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 04 August 2018 - 11:26 PM

A major problem is that their either the highest stakes (Souma will be expelled), or no stakes (just a friendly competition between someone far better then him); there is no middle ground in this manga, and because of that after a certain there are no stakes. If Souma is expelled that's the end of the story, and he normally impresses the person he has a friendly spar with that it clear he will surpass them by the time they have a serious match. The Autumn moon festival was interesting because it was just a competition between the the top students, and there was no threat of expulsion. 

I actually feel that the manga would have been in a better state if Souma got expelled during Azami's reign, this could have opened up training arc for him where he travels around the world, picking up skills from top chefs around the world, and build up his skill set, so when the time came for him to take on Azami it would be more convincing and by having actually lose a high stake match it would add a level of uncertainty for future battles, and not like it is now, where you just have to see the stakes to know who will lose.

iAnby7W.gif

#3223 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:24 PM

YYubie this is shounen. When thing like this happen, it just mean the the person was that powerful that he overwhelmed them. Not that the food was drugged. Tadokoro wasn't knock unconscious as much as shocked into a dazes state.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 20 August 2018 - 01:27 PM.

#3224 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:33 PM

Its shounen. This could happen even if they we playing checkers. Both were overwhelmed by the deliciousness of the dish not paralyzed.

#3225 Yyubie

Yyubie

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 02:37 PM

@Bail

Oh yeah you right , i was wrong. Sorry , i got excited and throwing my opinion , didn't realize it.

tumblr_nexjjgShiv1rz4qnxo1_500.gif
An out of control man needs a strong woman to control him.
And even a violent woman will become soft and tender to the man she love.

#3226 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 07:13 PM

Well that chapter went pretty much as expected, at least the mangaka is not trying to keep the identity of new guy a secret. so that's something, now lets see where it goes from here, how will Souma power up now? wil he go on a training trip like I have felt he should have done ages ago, or will it be something else?

Now I wonder if his interest in Erina is genuine or like her father he's only interested in her abilities?

iAnby7W.gif

#3227 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 08:24 PM

Well that chapter went pretty much as expected, at least the mangaka is not trying to keep the identity of new guy a secret. so that's something, now lets see where it goes from here, how will Souma power up now? wil he go on a training trip like I have felt he should have done ages ago, or will it be something else?

Now I wonder if his interest in Erina is genuine or like her father he's only interested in her abilities?

He wants her god tongue he said that two chapters ago in 273. To him she is the "ultimate woman," and he is the "ultimate man."  He feels that he is the only cook in the world that can satisfy her god tongue. Therefor they are the perfect match, because they are perfect (not that they have feeling for each other or they will ever connect.)

He only want her because to him it prove that he is the ultimate chief in the world because he is the only cook the can make food that can satisfy her if she falls for him. He does mention he will court her at least

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 18 August 2018 - 08:42 PM.

#3228 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:41 PM

Soma or the "adopted son"? :zaru: Now I know this week's chapter is setting up something but I'm still annoyed lol. Just hope it is meant to have Soma realize he feels SOMETHING towards Erina and not just as a rival to beat or to "conquer" her god tongue :smile: I mean, Really Chapter 170 shows that there is something, he is just oblivious to it

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#3229 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 18 August 2018 - 10:08 PM

Erina has had feeling for Souma for over 100 chapter by this point. I think why she fainted is due to her seeing Souma fighting another man over her.

Here what I think going to happen. Erina may get caught up in the moment about two guys fighting over her. She does like Shoujo manga so she may imagine she in a scenario like what you would find in those manga. This will go on for awhile but eventually Souma will fight him again with Erina being the judge this time. Souma will win because he is cooking food for Erina, while Asahi is cooking for the God Tongue and heiress of the Nariki family.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 18 August 2018 - 10:27 PM.

#3230 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 19 August 2018 - 01:07 AM

Yeah I know, I'm talking about Soma's feelings though :chuckle:  :excited: I mean It should be Soma's turn to realize them lol :love:

#3231 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 08:40 PM

Asahi  is trying to court Erina this chapter, while Souma wants another match (partially because he has his father's knife.) I think he also realized that Erina has feeling for Souma.

Erina says her ideal man is someone that is earnest toward his cooking, never forgets his goal of forging a head, a little thrilling but still wonderful, and someone that surpasses her expectations of them that she respects. Megumi instantly realizes that sound like just Souma,

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 24 August 2018 - 08:40 PM.

#3232 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:36 PM

So what we learnt this chapter, Souma is clueless when it comes to wooing a woman, and both Souma and Erina are clueless to their feelings towards each other.

Still not sure what Asahi's motives are, is he after something or is he actually doing this for Souma's sake? It is entirely possible that if he does see Jouchirou as a father he also see's Souma as a younger sibling and is doing this as a means to push him further or maybe even make both Erina and Souma realise their feelings for each other. As a story telling standpoint to have two arcs where Erina is a the target doesn't really make sense, so maybe there is still a twist in this tale, or maybe I'm like always reading too much into this and hoping more thought has gone into the plot than it really has.

iAnby7W.gif

#3233 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 01:24 AM

YEAH.................. and here is yet another game of cat and mouse "romance" pedalng and back pedaling at the same time because the girl can't figure out what she feels and the guy is just plain oblivious both to her and himself. :twitch:  Yeesh, these types romances are really cringing to watch until they actually get together :argh:

#3234 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:44 AM

I do think his motivation are genuine...as in he wants the god tongue to proclaim his cooking the greatest in the world. She is consider a divine authority in the culinary world; if she proclaims his food is the greatest in the world then it is the greatest in the world. That's why both Azami, and Asashi need her. Azami as a tool to force the culinary world to fit to his standards, and Asahi as a status symbol to prove he is the world greatest cook.

#3235 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:04 AM

Yeah I know his motives are genuine, it is only that it is a selfish motive that is essentially "use Erina for her god tongue 2.0" therefore I have no interest in it. Ultimately the adopted son is for all intents and purposes to push the romance between the two MCs to the forefront unless the writing screws that up then the pitch forks and torches will come to this series I guarantee you

Edited by Phantom_999, 30 August 2018 - 12:54 AM.

#3236 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 05:00 PM

Are we really skipping the entire second year?

Also they try to play that Erina will be abducted...I somehow doubt that.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 31 August 2018 - 05:25 PM.

#3237 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 31 August 2018 - 08:16 PM

Are we really skipping the entire second year?

Also they try to play that Erina will be abducted...I somehow doubt that.

Well they certainly are powering through most of it, the first nine months was 264 chapters, yet 13 chapters in, we are already in June/July.

They are trying to build up tension but instead it's all coming off as comedic, when Asahi was hidden he felt like he might be a interesting character, but the last few chapters we've actually seen him, he almost as uninteresting as Azami (the two names sound too similar) also more annoying than anything, can't take him seriously at all.

So guesses to who the person is on the last page? Could be Hisako as she was strangely absent this chapter, she should either be Erina's shadow or participating in the test, but she wasn't shown in either, though it's unlikely she'd call Erina by her full name so it's likely someone else.

iAnby7W.gif

#3238 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 01 September 2018 - 05:04 AM

Well the shadow said Erina's full name so Hisako is out I think (she never did that on panel so far at least). And Yeah, Asahi is just taking up panel space since he is fighting a losing battle straight form the start and he only hasn't lost yet because Erina doesn't even know what she feels and Soma is the "generic shonen protagonist that oblivious to love and is can't tell when a romance occurs nor knows how to be romantic if you hit him over the head with it". I only hope that after the end of this "joke plot point" Soma and Erina's relationship DOES actually GET somewhere else I will be quite pissed to have my time wasted again

Edited by Phantom_999, 19 September 2018 - 11:04 PM.

#3239 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 05:23 AM

Read the spoilers for the new chapter and................. :jawdrop: ............. plus :roll: ....................that is all.

Edited by Phantom_999, 07 September 2018 - 05:24 AM.

#3240 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 04:28 PM

*sigh* Feels like every chapter there is usually a decision the mangaka makes that feels like it is the worst possible choice he could make, this chapter ended with another bad end, and it was going so well too, we has a cute Hisako moment, we had Ikumi getting flustered moment and a nice scene between Erina and Souma, then they had to mess it all up.

iAnby7W.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users