Close
Photo

General Tech Thread

• Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

Poll: General Tech Thread (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you own a Crackberry? (Blackberry)

1. Yes. (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. No. (22 votes [100.00%])

Percentage of vote: 100.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:01 AM

My best friend's Toshiba is still safe and sound (not a single repair) after 5 yrs. But, seriously, HP and Dell sound to have a REALLY SO VERY BAD c.s. And Paradox has got the most freakin' awesome PC ever!

My Vaio needs a repair every each year (wtf). A blue screen with dump letters appears and BAM! Shuts down. Then? Send it to Germany, repair it for about 170 euros and lose my data in no-time. The first time it broke down, I managed to save some of 'em in a 2GB flash memory stick. The second time it TOTALLY broke down. In a second. And that was it. And what they did over there was to re-install Windows Vista Home Premium. facepalm.png I suppose I will save ALL my data this summer in an external hard disc so that I won't start screaming out again: "NO!!! SIMS 3!! MY PROJECTS!!! MY PICAS!!! MY VIDEOS!! ARE GONE~~~ ALL GONE!!!! *cries out loud*"

#42 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:58 PM

QUOTE (Sakura_1_ @ Jun 26 2010, 09:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My best friend's Toshiba is still safe and sound (not a single repair) after 5 yrs. But, seriously, HP and Dell sound to have a REALLY SO VERY BAD c.s. And Paradox has got the most freakin' awesome PC ever!

My Vaio needs a repair every each year (wtf). A blue screen with dump letters appears and BAM! Shuts down. Then? Send it to Germany, repair it for about 170 euros and lose my data in no-time. The first time it broke down, I managed to save some of 'em in a 2GB flash memory stick. The second time it TOTALLY broke down. In a second. And that was it. And what they did over there was to re-install Windows Vista Home Premium. facepalm.png I suppose I will save ALL my data this summer in an external hard disc so that I won't start screaming out again: "NO!!! SIMS 3!! MY PROJECTS!!! MY PICAS!!! MY VIDEOS!! ARE GONE~~~ ALL GONE!!!! *cries out loud*"

Thats why I don't safe most of my programs/games to my internal HD but to my external one. My internal HD only have the default Windows programs, the Microsoft office and a few other necessity programs like Download Accelerator (Ok, you might think its unnecessary but when you live in a country whose download speed can't go more than 150 kb/s most of the time, an accelerator is pretty darn helpful). the result? I only have 30 Gb internal Hard Disk and I don't need to worry about losing my programs as my external HD is safe and it darn safe me lots of money (30 Gb internal hard disk barely cost 20 dollars nowadays... heck maybe less)

My recommendation is to get 2 external HD (like me) 1 as the main HD, another as back up. The back up HD need to be AT LEAST 1/2 size of the main one though (Example: Main external HD is 1 Tb, the backup need to b at least 500 Gb). You don't need as much volume for the backup coz what you really need to put inside are only the program installers (and your pics and movies but I doubt that will takes up much of the space since you can always compress them and safe up to 1/3 of the full size). thats how I can survive reformatting my PC over and over safely without fear.

PS: Yes I know I sound like a geek... shut it

Edited by BlackLightning, 26 June 2010 - 01:01 PM.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#43 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 03:27 PM

Yep, I need to get one. Thanks for the feedback.

P.S: You don't sound like a geek and I don't shut it

#44 Tsunade

Tsunade

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,312 posts
  • Interests:People.

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (Sakura_1_ @ Jun 26 2010, 05:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

LOL, sounds like Yaka's XBOX. vista was windows crappest OS evar, get rid of it if you can

HP Pavillion G71-339ca

# Processor : 2.10 GHz Intel Pentium Dual Core T4300 (1MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
# OS : Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
# Display : 17.3" Diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display resolution 1600 x 900
# Memory : 4 GB
# HDD : 320GB SATA 5400RPM
# LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD±R/RW with Double Layer Support
# 802.11b/g WLAN
# 3 USB 2.0, 1 HDMI
# Graphic Video : Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
# Battery : 6-Cell Lithium-Ion battery

I love my little HP, I know you guys are saying they have bad service but you see... I do my own service on my laptop. xP
Tsu.gif

#45 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:09 AM

QUOTE (Tsunade @ Jun 27 2010, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love my little HP, I know you guys are saying they have bad service but you see... I do my own service on my laptop. xP

Well... thats 1 way to avoid the crappy service I guess. I would have done the same thing if I can help it, problem is I'm not exactly knowledgeable about laptops....

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

#46 TheBerserkMoogle

TheBerserkMoogle

Cute and Fuzzy. Deadly too.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 02:39 PM

My gateway's a piece of crap. mad.gif

#47 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 04:56 PM

My hi-tech friend can solve almost any problem... But he couldn't fix my laptop last year XD
@ Tsunade: I wanna get Windows 7 as soon as possible

#48 ShippudenGirl

ShippudenGirl

Happy-Go-Lucky

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:04 PM

The only problem I've had with my Dell is that the um, thing you put your plug in to charge it broke because... Um, I'm not even gonna tell that story XD oh, and it got more then 4,000 viruses and cost over $600 all together to repair. O_e... Yeah. My HP has no problems =D and when I get to Oregon my Dad is gettin me a new computer, because my Dell won't charge anymore so yeah... I hope to not spend over $700, any suggestions? •^^•

#49 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:45 PM

Look for 'em: HP COMPAQ PRESARIO CQ71-420ED VZ663EA, LENOVO THINKPAD SL300 NS652GM, TOSHIBA SATELLITE L550-200, FUJITSU AMILO PI3660-F6,

I liked them, hope u'll also do so!

#50 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE (Tsunade @ Jun 27 2010, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One way to do it. But when you start getting motherboard and BIOS load problems, then its on a one way trip to HP crappy service. =P

My teacher in high school absolutely hated HP. He lives like down the street from its main office/tech support building, and one day, his wife's desktop went to hell. Guess what? Can't bring it directly to the service center there.

Had to send for UPS, pay 30 dollars to send it DOWN THE STREET for a repair.

I find that buying laptops, go with some luck. Other people have had problems with some laptops, yet others use it perfectly with the same model. I stick to OEMS that design other electronics other than computers, which can help make a decision.

As for Apple? I never liked the Mac OS, looks pretty, but can't do much for me (I'm not into graphics design or music design). If I wanted to run the Mac OS system, then VMWare is one click away. (Virtual boot system)

@ Paradox

I DON'T WANNA COMPARE THE SIZE OF OUR HARD DRIVES AND/OR RAM! rawr.gif

#51 krisk

krisk

S-Class Missing-nin

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,831 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

QUOTE (Tsunade @ Jun 27 2010, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

THIS. I've had my old man Toshiba for almost 6 years now, and everything i've learned is thanks to having it keep up with the newer shinier generation. I hate it, but I'll admit that this guy's as stubborn and resilient as ever. XD Been through 2 World War Reformats, has a severed disc drive, and 2 unresponsive USB ports - don't get him started hm.png

@ Patti: good idea. pictureem0.gif

#52 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:49 AM

well... I think Lenovo still got the best durability among laptop brands... like a friend of mine quote: You can beat someone to death with one then start it up and use it to type your confession.

#53 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:03 AM

On a side note, my new computer just arrived today.

Excuse me while I go gaming and gasming for several weeks. If you don't see much of me, you'll know why.

pictureem0.gif

#54 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:59 AM

QUOTE (Paradox Jast @ Jun 30 2010, 08:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
On a side note, my new computer just arrived today.

Excuse me while I go gaming and gasming for several weeks. If you don't see much of me, you'll know why.

pictureem0.gif

hm.png

YOUR MOTHERBOARD IS A CASH COW!

#55 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:17 PM

What's that noise?

*cups hand and puts it up against ear*

MOOOOOOO!

Oh yeah. That's what I'm talkin' about.

#56 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:01 AM

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Jun 29 2010, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
well... I think Lenovo still got the best durability among laptop brands... like a friend of mine quote: You can beat someone to death with one then start it up and use it to type your confession.

This quote must be the next Lenovo ad XD

BTW, my Vaio may break down in 2 months or sth (yeah, that happens every year, SO.... *sigh*). I need to buy an external hard disc. I can't stand losing EVERYTHING again!

#57 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 02:22 AM

Laptop
Specs:
- Intel Core 2 Duo T6670 @ 2.2 GHz
- 512 MB Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- 8x DVD/CD Combo Drive
- 320 GB HDD
- 4 GB DDR2 - 800 MHz
- 16" Full 1080p Dual CCFL

Desktop

Specs:
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 @ 2.5 GHz
- 1GB Sapphire 5770
- Windows 7 Home Premium
- 16x DVD/CD Combo Drive
- 500 GB HDD
- 4 GB DDR2 - 800 MHz

Edited by roninmedia, 23 July 2010 - 02:36 AM.

#58 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 03:37 AM

I'm pretty much stuck between getting a lenovo, alienware, or Toshiba laptop. I'd like to have something great for gaming, fast broadband speeds, memory, and great entertainment performance and acessories but i'm afraid of how long it'll last.

Going by many of yall's comments, HP and Dell doesn't seem so great to buy.

Edited by Uzumakikage, 31 July 2010 - 08:24 AM.

#59 MelisaArtemis

MelisaArtemis

*Meow*

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Interests:my boyfriend,Narusaku,Ragnarok, Narusaku, Digimon 03, Narusaku fics, Games. have I mention Narusaku?

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Jul 31 2010, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm pretty much stuck between getting a lenovo, alienware, or Toshiba laptop. I'd like to have something great for gaming, fast broadband speeds, memory, and great entertainment performance and acessories but i'm afraid of how long it'll last.

Going by many of your comments, HP and Dell doesn't seem so great to buy.

According to my tech expert friend, both HP and Dell laptops are actually quite good as long as you don't break them and have to send em to repair. though I heard that Dell is improving their customer service but I recommend you not to take my word on it ^^;

#60 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 12:48 AM

Lenovo for gaming? I haven't seen a Lenovo with great gaming specs, they're mainly business laptops.

Alienware? Too costly. Unless you're looking at the M11x. Which is 11", and has a nice price. Other than that, their laptops are really expensive. Not to mention they're owned by Dell now. =/

Toshiba is fairly good. You'd have to do some research before finding a gaming spec'd laptop made by them though. I suggest looking at ASUS or Acer. They have some decent gaming laptops at a good price.

Gaming laptops have 2-3 hours of battery life though. And most come with 320GB or 500GB hard drives now. Memory? Most laptops come with 2GB ram. I've seen Dells with 6GB ram, but at a $1299 price.

Up to you, though.

And honestly, fast broadband speeds really depend on your internet provider. Most NIC's are fast speed standard now. Although my old laptop did come with a modem built in...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users