Close
Photo

Ever read a fan fiction that disappointed you?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
89 replies to this topic

#41 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 21 August 2011 - 12:36 AM

Well my biggest peeve is characters that are clearly OOC that drives me mad! I mean I agree that everyone has the right with creative freedom in writing but to me it looses it's luster if I'm reading something the characters wouldn't do. Example Hinata being loud, slutty, and even more of a stalker. Poor Naruto being the rebound guy when Sakura goes and sleeps with Sasuke. Oh and lets not forget Emo Naruto...I understand he has his moments of depression and some authors like Toasty are able to successfully have Naruto be depressed and then move on. However there are other authors that never develop his character, so were left with a wrist cutting jinchuriki.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#42 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE (Toasty Warrior @ Aug 20 2011, 05:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I usually don't like to pick on authors myself, but there's one author in particular, lord of the land of fire, I've read a few of his NaruSaku fics and I can't stand how they're done. They usually start out okay, but he ends up having either Naruto kill Sakura over the stupidest thing or having Naruto die while on a mission to get Sasuke. I guess he just enjoys trolling fans like that. I don't recommend you look at his fics. >_>

Toasty isn't it obvious why he'd do that? rolleyes.gif It's because Lord of the Land of Fire is a pro NH fan even if he tried to write a NS story he will always screw it up because that's not his prefer pairing of choice.

Edited by Gravenimage, 21 August 2011 - 04:08 AM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#43 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 21 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Aug 20 2011, 09:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Toasty isn't it obvious why he'd do that? rolleyes.gif It's because Lord of the Land of Fire is a pro NH fan even if he tried to write a NS story he will always screw it up because that's not his prefer pairing of choice.

Yeah I kinda figured that Graven, but I thought I'd just let everyone else know so they don't read those stories.

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#44 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:44 AM

QUOTE (Toasty Warrior @ Aug 20 2011, 09:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah I kinda figured that Graven, but I thought I'd just let everyone else know so they don't read those stories.

Too late to warn me I already read "the flashing dagger" I regretted my choice so bad. facepalm.png
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#45 catsi563

catsi563

catsitastrophe

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,192 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Sakura, NaruSaku, pizza, dragons, tigers, wolves, cats, Slaying Ebil dragon windmill thingies, the moon, the ocean.

Posted 22 August 2011 - 12:18 AM

Heck i warned everyone off of that one when it first came out. EXTREME ooc.
My dear you deserve a great wizard, but im afraid you'll have to settle for services of a second rate pick pocket - Smendrick The Last Unicorn

..(^)> PENGUIN!!!!
C(...)D
..m.m

Training with a sannin 2 1/2 years

new pair of gloves 20 ryou

the look on your best friend, and former sensei's face's when you cause a small earth quake. Princeless

Catsis Fan Fiction

#46 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 22 August 2011 - 03:00 AM

Good thing I read your warning about the story Catsi and avoided it. biggrin.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#47 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 22 August 2011 - 11:30 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Aug 21 2011, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too late to warn me I already read "the flashing dagger" I regretted my choice so bad. facepalm.png

Yeah I remember this one, it made an impression on me, (think it might be the few times I completely agreed with Catsi on something) I remember it got loads of reviews for the first chapter, and it turned out most of them were commenting on it not being a NaruHina. Screwed up the entire foundation the manga was based on...yeah avoid at all cost.

I've been trying to read a few non-NaruSaku this past months, and boy has it been a gruellig experience, I can't really stomach NaruHina but tried a few didn't like that, I found Naruto Tenten and Temeri pairing OK though not many that did Sakura justice, (Unfortunitely I dispise SasuSaku pairing more than anything else so list of possible fics to read is few and far between.) after sifting through hundreds of fics, I think I only founds a handful of fics that didn't make Sakura a stupid fangirl.

iAnby7W.gif

#48 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (harry4e @ Aug 22 2011, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been trying to read a few non-NaruSaku this past months, and boy has it been a gruellig experience, I can't really stomach NaruHina but tried a few didn't like that, I found Naruto Tenten and Temeri pairing OK though not many that did Sakura justice, (Unfortunitely I dispise SasuSaku pairing more than anything else so list of possible fics to read is few and far between.) after sifting through hundreds of fics, I think I only founds a handful of fics that didn't make Sakura a stupid fangirl.

Totally agree. I can't stomach NaruHina. To make it work, the stereotypes for Hinata and Sakura have to be fairly extreme. Or Hinata has to be sooo ooc. I just can't read and enjoy it, no matter how many reviews it has.

The same for Sasu/Saku. Sasuke and Sakura sterotypes really move to a whole other level in most of these. It's like it simply won't work if Sasuke isn't brooding and/or abusive, and Sakura hasn't had mountains of personal problems to overcome. However there is one I like, color theory by bluegreenapples, but I think the good writing, intimate scenes, great characterizations of Team Hebi and interesting plot help me get past the usual spots I don't care for in the pairing.

And for both of the above pairings, sometimes the actual pairing isn't as offensive as the way the other pairings are treated. Sakura is bitchy and still loves Sasuke for NH to work; or Naruto only ever sees Sakura as a friend for SS to work.

I've read a few Gaara/Saku, which surprisingly are more palatable than the Big 3 pairings. I guess because it breaks up the stereotypes. Sakura's not choosing one, then justifying the other's relationship.

#49 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 01:48 AM

Sure all the time. Disappointments typically fall into two primary categories for me:

1. Based on the summary the story sounds cool with an interesting premise only to see that the execution is horrible in the form of terrible grammar or the idea is ruined by immediately falling into a cliche. Or both.

2. An author wasting obvious technical skill by engaging in amatuerish behavior such as blatant and rampant character bashing; massively unexplained OOC; or author wish fulfillment.

It's been a while since I spent a lot of time reading Naruto fanfiction, so none come to mind at the moment. I was reading a Naruto/TenTen that was well written, but Naruto was an a**hole and it was tough to read despite the quality of writing. I'm not sure which bugs me more: Dark Naruto or a**hole Naruto.

@harry4e: I think Naruto/Tenten is an interesting pairing, but it's very hard finding a good fic with them. Most either end up being full of lazy plots devices (Naruto finds a weapon) or Naruto ends up being a complete jerk for longer than I can tolerate. Or Sakura is OOC to such a degree Naruto can't help but either turn away or outright hate her.

I can live with SasuSaku if it's a side pairing and otherwise in the background. If SasuSaku is it the fic then I'm reading it for something else. A lot times it simply mentioned in passing or gets very little face time. It's a bit of a lazy plot device in these cases (getting rid of her role by pairing her off), so it depends on the mood I'm in and the quality of eveything else surrouding it.

As for Hinata....except for LeeHina, I can't read Hinata pairings at all. I don't find her character interesting. Unless I'm reading a story that focus on Hanabi (in which case Hinata will have a role by default), I can't read Hina stuff.

#50 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 02:32 AM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Aug 22 2011, 09:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's been a while since I spent a lot of time reading Naruto fanfiction, so none come to mind at the moment. I was reading a Naruto/TenTen that was well written, but Naruto was an a**hole and it was tough to read despite the quality of writing. I'm not sure which bugs me more: Dark Naruto or a**hole Naruto.

See, everything I've read has Dark Naruto = A**hole Naruto. I'd like to read some other variations, but I can't find any. (Which is part of the reason I'm writing my own, I guess.) Dark Naruto always ends up just being Sasuke in disguise; he becomes totally unlikeable. And either his redemption is hollow (he's such an ass that you just can't believe anyone would accept him again) or it comes too quickly and is ooc for the story (he becomes nice in a single chapter and everyone forgets what a jerk he's been leading up to that).

#51 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:28 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Aug 22 2011, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
See, everything I've read has Dark Naruto = A**hole Naruto. I'd like to read some other variations, but I can't find any. (Which is part of the reason I'm writing my own, I guess.) Dark Naruto always ends up just being Sasuke in disguise; he becomes totally unlikeable. And either his redemption is hollow (he's such an ass that you just can't believe anyone would accept him again) or it comes too quickly and is ooc for the story (he becomes nice in a single chapter and everyone forgets what a jerk he's been leading up to that).

Virtually all Dark Naruto's are a**holes, but not all A**hole Naruto's are Dark. The one I'm thinking of, I don't think I'd call him Dark per se, he's just a ass (hey! the language filter bleeps a**hole, but not ass), especially to Iruka, which really bugs me (I can handle some Kakashi dislike, but I don't like authors dumping on Iruka) In either case, everything I like about Naruto is lost and I can't stand it. Most of the ones I've seen don't even have redemption. It's just the author writing what they would do if they were him or just taking vengeance on an ungrateful village. He not redeemed, he's portrayed as justified and dumps on all the authors hated characters; Kakashi and Sakura are frequent victims. As is Sasuke (which ends up being bizarre given how Naruto is portrayed). in these fics.

Actually, I like Sasuke more than this version of Naruto.

EDIT: I think what bugs me most about these type of fics is that in addition to losing the traits I like, he has, without exception (of the ones I've read), been portayed as completely justified even in cases where he is an complete monster.

#52 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:40 AM

There are two types of stories that dissapoints me.
-Wrong use of honorifics and words. No matter, how good the story is if Sakura calls Naruto, "Naruto-kun", I will lose interest in that story.
Also, there are many fics that have Naruto call Sasuke, "Sasuke-teme". "Teme" does not mean bastard, it's a rude way of saying "you". These words are misused so often I wonder where people get the idea of the meanings from.

-The character is OOC(especially Naruto).
I've seen many fics where Naruto is exiled from Konoha and returns as a complete jerk. Okay, so I can understand he's being a bit sour of being exiled. What I don't understand is his treatment towards Sakura, Kakashi, and Sasuke. All of a sudden, he starts ranting about how bad Sakura treated him during their genin days and ignores her. Then Kakashi, he acts bitter towards Kakashi for training Sasuke more than him. Finally Sasuke. This jerk Naruto hates Sasuke from the heart and thinks that Sakura and Sasuke are in love with each other. Lol, Naruto has and never think bitterly of how Sakura has treated him. He actually feels grateful that she supports him. And Naruto can never NEVER hate Sasuke. All in all, jerk Naruto is too OOC.
268702-181926-kaworu-nagisa.jpg

#53 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:59 AM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Aug 22 2011, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This might actually help improve my fanfic in future chapters... a_dance.gif now I know what to avoid doing

Edited by zacrathedemon5, 23 August 2011 - 12:00 PM.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#54 Fliss

Fliss

stfu

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 09:47 PM

QUOTE (narunarunaru @ Aug 23 2011, 03:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-Wrong use of honorifics and words. No matter, how good the story is if Sakura calls Naruto, "Naruto-kun", I will lose interest in that story.

Agh yes I HATE that! I also hate when they have Naruto call anyone else "chan" besides Sakura. I think it's so cute how he only calls her that.

❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀❀

#55 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (narunarunaru @ Aug 23 2011, 04:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, there are many fics that have Naruto call Sasuke, "Sasuke-teme". "Teme" does not mean bastard, it's a rude way of saying "you". These words are misused so often I wonder where people get the idea of the meanings from.

The fanfiction community uses them at their own discretion, but to be fair its not as if everyone completely understands honorifics so I don't hold it against individuals.
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#56 Sukie-Chan

Sukie-Chan

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:33 AM

I got to say that there are many horrible fanfics that I've read. It's not even funny. Many of them falls into this categories.

1) Out Of Character
I seriously think people got problems. Some make Hinata a complete whore! I don't like Hinata all the much, but seriously. The writer might as well create an original character instead of using Hinata. Also emo Naruto; it doesn't even make sense. I get Sasuke, but the oh-so optimistic Naruto being emo and cuts himself; you got to be kidding me. I think the character should at least have some of their original characteristics--like Hinata twirling her fingers, Sakura with a little temper, Shikamaru being lazy, etc. Those are traits that make them, them.

2) Grammar
Minor grammar problem is alright with me, but it's irritating when I see miss-spelled words everywhere; especially when the summary is good. I agree that my grammar isn't the best but I at least know the basics. Get a dictionary.

3) Stories that process too fast or too slow
Good plot but ends too quickly or Good plot that contain 10,000 words and still don't get to the point. Keep those away from me please. I find a lot of stories that contain too little or too much details.

4) Anti-NaruSaku
I thought the fanfic meant NaruSaku as a couple, but why doesn't they both ended up ditching each-other? I definitely hate those. Please write down a warning, so I don't read most of it, only to find out Naruto ended up with some chick and Sakura with another dude. It's very disappointing.

5) Original Character/s
I say some are okay but I've read fanfics that yes, Naruto and Sakura do end up with each-other, but the oc ended up being the main character of the story. Fanfiction is for fanfiction. You're a fan of some anime/movie/book/etc. and you right about them, not the life of your oc.

#57 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (Sukie-Chan @ Aug 23 2011, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got to say that there are many horrible fanfics that I've read. It's not even funny. Many of them falls into this categories.

1) Out Of Character
I seriously think people got problems. Some make Hinata a complete whore! I don't like Hinata all the much, but seriously. The writer might as well create an original character instead of using Hinata. Also emo Naruto; it doesn't even make sense. I get Sasuke, but the oh-so optimistic Naruto being emo and cuts himself; you got to be kidding me. I think the character should at least have some of their original characteristics--like Hinata twirling her fingers, Sakura with a little temper, Shikamaru being lazy, etc. Those are traits that make them, them.

2) Grammar
Minor grammar problem is alright with me, but it's irritating when I see miss-spelled words everywhere; especially when the summary is good. I agree that my grammar isn't the best but I at least know the basics. Get a dictionary.

3) Stories that process too fast or too slow
Good plot but ends too quickly or Good plot that contain 10,000 words and still don't get to the point. Keep those away from me please. I find a lot of stories that contain too little or too much details.

4) Anti-NaruSaku
I thought the fanfic meant NaruSaku as a couple, but why doesn't they both ended up ditching each-other? I definitely hate those. Please write down a warning, so I don't read most of it, only to find out Naruto ended up with some chick and Sakura with another dude. It's very disappointing.

5) Original Character/s
I say some are okay but I've read fanfics that yes, Naruto and Sakura do end up with each-other, but the oc ended up being the main character of the story. Fanfiction is for fanfiction. You're a fan of some anime/movie/book/etc. and you right about them, not the life of your oc.

As a writer I think I'm going to address some of these issues.

1) Out of Character - Yes, I agree that going far out there, away from canon is a little frustrating; however, if something happens in the plot then the character has to show a reaction. Some characters will change (i.e. Sasuke, Sakura, Shikamaru, etc.) simply because in canon there characters continue to change based on character interactions and plot bunnies that are revealed. Other characters I think would be less likely to change (i.e. Naruto) because very few things have dramatically altered his character.

2) Grammar - Self explanatory, but even I'm guilty of mistakes. If I was too edit with a fine tooth comb, my readers would never get an update.

3) That's called style and is a matter of personal preference. That doesn't necessarily mean it's good or bad.

4) Eh, I do think that there should be Anti-NaruSaku on the summary, but the writer really doesn't have to do that.

5) Original Characters - I don't mind one or two that aren't complete Mary Sue's. Too many and I forget to care about them. A good example is "Mizukage." Way too many OC's that I couldn't keep up and would usually just skim past the OC's part.
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#58 pharix

pharix

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 02:31 AM

QUOTE (narunarunaru @ Aug 23 2011, 05:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"Teme" does not mean bastard, it's a rude way of saying "you".

thissssssssss argh1.png

#59 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 03:11 AM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Aug 22 2011, 11:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EDIT: I think what bugs me most about these type of fics is that in addition to losing the traits I like, he has, without exception (of the ones I've read), been portayed as completely justified even in cases where he is an complete monster.

Yeah, also hate that stuff too. Where Konoha and Sakura are so ridiculously mean to Naruto for no good reason. (You know, like Sasuke-level trauma.) And you can understand why he left, and left mad. Then the rest of the story is his eventual reunion with Konoha, et. al, and the plot just becomes a painful justification of why he should go back to this abusive situation.

@zacara - I know, right!? I'm going to really have to watch what a write to make sure I don't eat my words! Because I've got a dark-ish Naruto; with some OCs sprinkled through it; and Sakura and the word "useless" have been together in a sentence or two; and Sasuke's a jerk...uh-oh....sweatdrop.gif

Anyway, one of my challenges will be to write about a Naruto who goes into a dark period but still remains likeable. Can I write him in such a way that the reader doesn't give up on him? I hope so. And hopefully by making his driving motive be his own choices and journey (leading up to him taking control of his life) instead of jealousy and/or revenge as is the motive with most dark Narutos, I hope he won't stray too far into that awful ooc-ness.

Edited by tricksie, 24 August 2011 - 03:12 AM.

#60 Sukie-Chan

Sukie-Chan

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2011 - 04:14 AM

Point taken.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users