Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize o.o

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

http://news.yahoo.co.../eu_nobel_peace

#2 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

Sorry if my question seems off but.

Why?

#3 roninmedia

roninmedia

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (Yakatsu @ Oct 9 2009, 11:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry if my question seems off but.

Why?

"Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future," the Norwegian committee said as the prize was announced.

"His diplomacy is founded in the concept that those who are to lead the world must do so on the basis of values and attitudes that are shared by the majority of the world's population."

I was shocked too. Rush Limbaugh and other conservatives must be having strokes and heart attacks now...

#4 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:51 AM

QUOTE (roninmedia @ Oct 9 2009, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was shocked too. Rush Limbaugh and other conservatives must be having strokes and heart attacks now...

Rush is busy trying to buy nfl teams but yea, he'll have fun with this. Congrats to Obama.
\

#5 Froot

Froot

She's Certainly a Hurricane

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

Awww, snap. All hell's gonna break loose now.

#6 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:08 PM

Congrats, to Mister Obama.

Rush is to busy about other stuff. But, I am just going to be laughing that ,if Rush has a fIT OVER THIS.

Like Acorn, and trying to prove he isn't an american. rolleyes.gif

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 09 October 2009 - 12:14 PM.

#7 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:38 PM

Congrats to Mister President! smile.gif

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#8 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:00 PM

Bad move, what if he screws up...

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#9 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:18 PM

The world reacts to the news:

http://news.yahoo.co..._world_reaction

#10 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:15 PM

QUOTE (roninmedia @ Oct 9 2009, 06:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Some might I suppose, but you must understand something. Most conservatives, including Limbaugh, don't have even an ounce of respect for the Noble Committee and believe that's it comprised of a bunch of liberals whose historical tendency has been to reward their ideological brethren.

This is reinforced by the fact that past winners have included Al Gore, Jimmy Carter, and PLO terrorist Yasir Arafat.

So for us, it's par the course and completely predictable. All I can do is yawn.

#11 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:25 PM

wow, I didn't know the Nobel Peace Prize was so fake now. congrats mr. president, your team is giving you another chance to stroke your ego~

#12 True

True

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Wouldn't you like to know?

Posted 09 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

Congrads Obama. pimp.png

Well you know being the first black president of the United States is quite the historical accomplishment. That alone is worthy of some sort of prize!

And I only care about the Nobel Price for Economics which I'll win in 30 years and ten years after Nate!

EDIT: Now that I'm out of class and my professor can't see me I can give a more thought out response.

Myth: The prize is awarded to recognize efforts for peace, human rights and democracy only after they have proven successful.
More often, the prize is awarded to encourage those who receive it to see the effort through, sometimes at critical moments.

sauce
It seems he was given the prize based on what hopes to stem from his foreign policy and improving talks with countries such as Cuba/North Korea/Iran/Russia and the Middle East. If they gave it to him in 2010 it would look like foreign interference with the American Congressional elections, which I'm sure would cause a big stir. I like Obama but think this is still quite the premature move to give him the prize so early in his term--though I understand the reasoning(s). However, you can't really fault him for something he has no control over; I personally believe the committee would gladly give it to anyone not named 'George Bush'

And hey the U.S. treasury gets $1.4 million dollars so it's not like it's a bad thing right?

#13 RyrineaHaruno

RyrineaHaruno

I <3 Mass Effect

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,765 posts
  • Interests:Writing, drawing, Wicca, woman's history, Sewing, and series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism, The paranormal, the occult and as well. as Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and different culture's then mine. Harry potter

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:33 PM

TO the people, who are wondering why he got it?

Basically, it
his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.

Edited by RyrineaHaruno, 09 October 2009 - 08:19 PM.

#14 Miss Soupy

Miss Soupy

Queen of Fluff

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,000 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 04:49 PM

Well, it seems like he was nominated feb. 1, which at that time, he had been in office less than 2 weeks. And I think the nobel peace prize is meant to be more than an encouragement. If not, then they should be handing it out to all leaders who want peace. So yeah, I can't really see it as anything other than a political thing, what with the other examples of who received it.

#15 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:08 PM

I'm a Democrat, but I just don't see or understand why they gave it to him huh.gif

To me it just makes the Nobel Peace Prize Committee look a bit silly as this is such a pre-mature move, and kind of removes the 'distinction' from such an award. Like they will give it to just about anyone now, who they think will make a valuable contribution in the future, instead of giving it to someone who absolutely deserves it for years of hard work, who has been working towards peace for a good while. Not a noob president, who has only been on the scene for such a short time.

~~~

How winning the prize could hurt Obama:

http://news.yahoo.co.../08599192939500

The internet reaction to the news:

http://www.time.com/...1929390,00.html

Edited by Sakura Blossoms, 09 October 2009 - 06:02 PM.

#16 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:17 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Oct 9 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basically, it his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.

That'd be the talking point anyway. Though at this point its valuing form over substance.

I'm a Democrat, but I just don't see or understand why they gave it to him

Actually, I think its clear why they did. If the nomination was February 1, then its as true said. This is really meant to so say those American finally got rid of Bush and picked the guy who policy preferences we approve of. The politics of this decision is incredibly obvious, but then, as I said before, its par for the course for this committee.

Personally, I don't care all that much. It's completely expected. If they want to deprive the award of real meaning by handing off to the ideological peers before they actually earn, then so be it. They too can make themselves as irrelevant as CNN.

#17 Sir Whirly

Sir Whirly

Artest. Classy. Pick one.

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,416 posts
  • Interests:Anime, pot, and women. What more do you need in life?

Posted 09 October 2009 - 06:55 PM

-sigh- Um, WTG I guess?

I think I have finally broken as far as politics go. Both sides suck and no one is going to make things better.

#18 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 09 October 2009 - 07:53 PM

QUOTE (Sir Whirly @ Oct 9 2009, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
-sigh- Um, WTG I guess?

I think I have finally broken as far as politics go. Both sides suck and no one is going to make things better.

Thing can get better, but whoever got voted president wasn't going to make things better so fast. But I never get too deep into politics, its like high school cliques all over again.
\

#19 Cloud

Cloud

SOLDIER

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,565 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (RyrineaHaruno @ Oct 9 2009, 12:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Basically, it his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.

I think people know how to read.

But in any case. This was a copyrighted document.

OSLO – President Barack Obama won the 2009 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday in a stunning decision designed to build momentum behind his initiatives to reduce nuclear arms, ease tensions with the Muslim world and stress diplomacy and cooperation rather than unilateralism.

I wonder where that came from? kruemelmonsteryn0.gif

Edited by Cloud, 09 October 2009 - 08:14 PM.

#20 Saku-chan

Saku-chan

Strudel Mistress

• ANBU
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

I think Obama could definitely deserve it after he's started to accomplish stuff.

I mean sure it's awesome that he's given hope to most of the world and promoted his 'Change,' but this is WAY too soon.

For Obama's and the Nobel Committee's sake, I hope he lives up to the prize.
tumblr_np7x15rJxi1qafgx9o1_500.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users