6 replies to this topic

#1 Hefster

Hefster

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:03 PM

What do you guys think? Will Microsoft bellyflop with this project or succeed and hopefully offer cheaper Microsoft products (which is probably very doubtful).
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the former.
- Albert Einstein

You can find me here on FF.net.

Each topic brought to you with at least 1 spelling error.

#2 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 16 February 2009 - 06:05 PM

It really just depends.

#3 Chivalrysae

Chivalrysae

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Flag Football, Anime, Indoor Wall Climbing, Hiking, Running

Posted 16 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

I would be a little skeptical about it. For the most part, they OS's major market is to computer manufacturers. And the cost of maintaining and operating brick and mortar stores would be an additional cost. I think a better method would be improving the process of selling their software online. Where the user can download or burn one Disk tied to their individual PC. That way they can sell to pretty much anyone on the internet. It would give the customers the conveience of shopping from home, and it would decrease the cost of the physical installation.

They are getting a lot of their market pressure from the likes of Linux which has an ease of distribution. You can download and burn the software for free. And it has less bugs and is less prone to become compromised. The failure of Vista to go mainstream has caused many to look for alternatives. I just think they have bigger issues they should be concerned with. Just my 2 cents.

#4 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,842 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:08 PM

I'm having mixed feelings about it. Though one thing that I think it will be good is that since not only they are selling computer hardware, software and accessories, there will be some Xbox stuff in the stores as well.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#5 psycho666

psycho666

wub

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:53 PM

Heh, well what can you really predict at this point, I just hope things aren't messed up beyond repair if what they're doing goes awry.

#6 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:20 PM

Well not in todays economy. But if they are going to be more like best buy it could work maybe. I don't expect to see them selling hannah montana backpacks
\

#7 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:23 PM

I doubt this will work. I recall them trying this before and it failed then. Specialty stores like this usually find some degree of success with customized hardware, but Microsoft's not in the hardware market; their software is packaged into models made by different companies. It's a big difference; coupled with the currently struggling economy, this doesn't seem like a wise investment, at least not until the economy actually recovers.

Only thing I could see them really selling aside from software is X-Box 360 hardware; but you can pick that up at any joe schmo shop around.

Still, Microsoft is rich as ****, so I don't see how this could hurt them too bad even if it does fail horribly. Still seems a fools errand though.
bd5.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users