• This topic is locked This topic is locked
154 replies to this topic

#41 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:roses are red, dark clouds are grey.... the rumour come out: does jumin han is gay?

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:05 AM

The only thing I'm worried about is that DB tards will be all like "Naruto copied DBZ blahblahblah" and all that.

JA2DBzd.png

#42 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:06 AM

QUOTE (Rocket @ Dec 26 2011, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The only thing I'm worried about is that DB tards will be all like "Naruto copied DBZ blahblahblah" and all that.

Copied? Nooo, not from what I've seen so far laugh.gif And I'm a pretty big DBZ fan... I'm not sure if I'm classified as a tard or not, but still.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#43 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:roses are red, dark clouds are grey.... the rumour come out: does jumin han is gay?

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:10 AM

QUOTE (zacrathedemon5 @ Dec 27 2011, 04:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Copied? Nooo, not from what I've seen so far laugh.gif And I'm a pretty big DBZ fan... I'm not sure if I'm classified as a tard or not, but still.

When I say DB tards I mean the die-hard DB fans who are completely hating /gets hit by tomato/ on Naruto and stuff.

Anyways, the whole inspiration of Son Goku/Yonbi has got nothing on me really. It's the DB fans.

JA2DBzd.png

#44 Hiraishin

Hiraishin

infinite

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:12 AM

I thought we weren't getting a chapter this week! Nice Christmas present, though.

I'm pretty surprised they all have names... I wouldn't have expected that.
I gotta admit, I got pretty excited when I saw that the four-tails is called "Son Goku." I was just like, "An homage to Dragonball?!" I know it's inspired by Chinese mythology, too, of course.
Kurama... It's a nice name, but I think I prefer Kyuubi. I feel like it suits him better - and I'm more used to it, so.
Didn't expect Kyuubi to help Naruto, and I'm kind of glad he didn't~
Are they going to become "friends" soon!? Maybe not "soon," but in due time. I hope Kyuubi doesn't stop being kind of pissy. That personality suits him. xD

QUOTE (tricksie @ Dec 26 2011, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so Naruto could go into the cell chamber because he's a jinchuuriki.... Then what does that mean about Sasuke? Was he able to go inside Naruto just because of his eyes, or is he some type of jinchuuriki as well and he just doesn't know it? oh yeah - merry christmas, too!

That was actually the exact thing I was wondering when I read this chapter. Hopefully we get some answers... :\

I was expecting something more... I don't know, action-packed? this chapter, but this is pretty good, too. We got to learn a little bit of the Kyuubi and the other bijuu. I hope we get to find out the others' names, too.
Kurama seemed bitter. D: Poor guy, I feel kind of bad for him.
Hopefully we get another chapter soon! <3 This doesn't seem like an awesome-enough chapter to end the year with.

Edited by mydearbeloved, 27 December 2011 - 05:15 AM.

narusaku_ss_by_Cynthi.jpg

#45 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:14 AM

QUOTE (Rocket @ Dec 27 2011, 05:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When I say DB tards I mean the die-hard DB fans who are completely hating /gets hit by tomato/ on Naruto and stuff.

Anyways, the whole inspiration of Son Goku/Yonbi has got nothing on me really. It's the DB fans.

Exactly.
It irks me when people say that stuff.

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#46 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:25 AM

Names from Japanese mangas are always inspired by mythology. Amaterasu is the sun god. Susanoo is the god of the sea. Tsukuyomi is god of the moon. All 3 are brothers whose father is Izanagi. Even the nine-tails is a demon fox capable of shape-shifting. To say Naruto copied DB is wrong. It is safe to say that DB used ideas from mythologies just like most mangas do. And this has absolutely nothing to do with NS. It has no link at all.

Edited by Darth Krypt, 27 December 2011 - 05:26 AM.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#47 Rocket

Rocket

Nohrian scum

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:30 AM

Where the hell did this "link to NS" come from anyway? ._.

JA2DBzd.png

#48 Fenris

Fenris

back from the dead

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,273 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 05:52 AM

QUOTE (Darth Krypt @ Dec 27 2011, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Names from Japanese mangas are always inspired by mythology. Amaterasu is the sun god. Susanoo is the god of the sea. Tsukuyomi is god of the moon. All 3 are brothers whose father is Izanagi. Even the nine-tails is a demon fox capable of shape-shifting. To say Naruto copied DB is wrong. It is safe to say that DB used ideas from mythologies just like most mangas do. And this has absolutely nothing to do with NS. It has no link at all.

THANK YOU. /saves for future reference. And Amaterasu.... I suppose Kishi copied the Japanese game Okami, too. Cause everyone knows the wolf's name is Amaterasu.. rolleyes.gif /Sarcasm folks, sarcasm.. I agree though, Darth. I completely agree biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Rocket @ Dec 27 2011, 06:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Where the hell did this "link to NS" come from anyway? ._.

Cause people think Kishi will copy some stuff Chichi i have no idea okay I never read into the relationships of DBZ. All I know is Chichi is a tsundere. huh.gif

Edited by Fenris, 27 December 2011 - 05:52 AM.

tumblr_nn5rgcX8lv1rq9ihbo4_500.gif

jus drein jus daun.
---------------------------------------------------

#49 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:38 AM

QUOTE (Fenris @ Dec 27 2011, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose Kishi copied the Japanese game Okami, too. Cause everyone knows the wolf's name is Amaterasu..

I LOVE that game. One of the best games to ever grace the PS2. And yeah even the main villain of that game is Nine-Tails.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#50 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 27 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (Darth Krypt @ Dec 27 2011, 12:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Names from Japanese mangas are always inspired by mythology. Amaterasu is the sun god. Susanoo is the god of the sea. Tsukuyomi is god of the moon. All 3 are brothers whose father is Izanagi.

No, Amaterasu is the sun Goddess. Tsukiyomi's gender changes over time, she begins as a goddess, then becomes an androgynous appearing male and in fact can switch gender. Izanagi and Izanami are the parents of all early gods. Izanami "dies" giving birth to a fire god, then becomes not just the goddess of creation but also of death (similar to the Hindu Goddess Shiva is goddess of both death and rebirth- minus the destructive element. But as her death goddess aspect Izanami has a zombie-like appearance. She was so repellant in that aspect that Izanagi fled from her presence.

Tsukiyomi isn't the only switch gender androgynous god/goddess the fox god/goddess Inari is another. In the earliest versions of the myths Inari is a trickster goddess, but later versions of Inari's myth give an additional male aspect. In feudal Japan, illegitimate children where the mother could not identify a father were seen children of Inari, and were discriminated against and feared as partly magical. Some of those children were later adopted into Shinto shrines became Shinto priests and priestesses.

Edited by ciardha, 27 December 2011 - 12:41 PM.

Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#51 Darth Krypt

Darth Krypt

Sith Lord

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:00 PM

^^
Sorry, it slipped my mind that Amaterasu is a goddess. As for the rest, I didn't bother with the details. My point is not to give a lesson on Japanese mythology. It's just that Japanese story tellers incorporates these ideas into their stories, especially for the fantasy genre. To say one mangaka steals the idea of another when in fact it originates from their very own culture in the first place is absurd. That's all.

DK

PgkbwAs.png

#52 Mr Horrible

Mr Horrible

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:31 PM

QUOTE (Darth Krypt @ Dec 27 2011, 03:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does Naruto heavily draw from Japanese folklore and Buddhism? Yes. However this is not an instance of doing so, it is clearly a reference to DB, as evidenced by Kyuubi's name likely coming from YYH (there is also a folklore origin for it), also note the Jinchuuriki of the Yonbi (Son Goku) is named Roshi.

#53 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 04:40 PM

Why are we having a discussion on this? Let's not forget, the design and charactoristics of Naruto himself was influenced by DragonBall, as is most battle manga's in Jump. The name Son Goku was probably a nod to the DragonballZ franchise, but the original folklore was not ignored, and was influenced in it's design, same way as Kurama is a nod to the Yu Yu Hakusho, a spirit fox who merged with an unborn baby (According to Wiki, never read the manga)...Not dissimilar to Naruto.

We've seen influence on Japanese folklore and older Manga in Naruto before so it's not really surprising if we see it pop up again.

Edit: I just realised that Yu Yu Hoyoko is created by the same person behind Hunter X Hunter. I've never read that either, but my friend used to swear that early part of Naruto were a blatent rip off of HxH, with the exams for promotion, and the way Gon behaved and the rival with the eyes who is the last surviving member of his clan.

Edited by harry4e, 27 December 2011 - 05:22 PM.

iAnby7W.gif

#54 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 07:12 PM

Did some research. The character Son Goku is really modeled after Journey to the West, a Chinese 16th century novel.

In the novel, one of the main protagonist Son Wukong is called the King of Apes. Or something to that effect.

http://tvtropes.org/...ourneyToTheWest

Edited by Strangelove, 27 December 2011 - 07:14 PM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#55 ciardha

ciardha

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,308 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, cosplay, writing fanfiction, dollfies, Japanese history. literature and culture, linguistics, ancient Celtic history, literature, and culture, Wicca, women's history, Buffy and Spike, Rogue and Gambit, Miaka and Taka, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, sewing, reading, many shoujo and josei manga series, Star Trek, Star Wars, liberal and feminist activism

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (Darth Krypt @ Dec 27 2011, 08:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^^
Sorry, it slipped my mind that Amaterasu is a goddess. As for the rest, I didn't bother with the details. My point is not to give a lesson on Japanese mythology.

I think that is important, remember the mangaka are coming from the background of knowing and manipulating that mythology. It helps understanding what you are reading on a deeper level.
Dream you dream alone is only a dream, but dream we dream together is reality- Yoko Ono 1971

When you go to war, both sides lose totally- Yoko Ono

Remember, our hearts are one. Even when we are at war with each other, our hearts are always beating in unison- Yoko Ono 2009

#56 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:17 PM

Why can't we just say the reference is a little of both? Sure it is a reference to DBZ, but where did that reference come from? Japanese folklore
My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#57 merryGOflava

merryGOflava

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,386 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:28 PM

so anyway biggrin.gif ............kurama is the same name for that one fox-dude in yuyu hakusho huh?

i wonder if kurama is some fox name? XD

its cool!

i bet once naruto calls kurama by his name, he will finally trust naruto smile.gif

tumblr_mp2s5jvShD1svjcb7o1_250.gif

#58 Mr Horrible

Mr Horrible

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 44 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Dec 27 2011, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
so Naruto could go into the cell chamber because he's a jinchuuriki.... Then what does that mean about Sasuke? Was he able to go inside Naruto just because of his eyes, or is he some type of jinchuuriki as well and he just doesn't know it? oh yeah - merry christmas, too!

/late.

Remember in this chapter Madara claimed the Sharingan gave power over all tailed beasts, rather than just the Kyuubi.

I'd hope proper sealing techniques would keep Sasuke out or make anything he does useless.

QUOTE (harry4e @ Dec 28 2011, 02:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why are we having a discussion on this? Let's not forget, the design and charactoristics of Naruto himself was influenced by DragonBall, as is most battle manga's in Jump. The name Son Goku was probably a nod to the DragonballZ franchise, but the original folklore was not ignored, and was influenced in it's design, same way as Kurama is a nod to the Yu Yu Hakusho, a spirit fox who merged with an unborn baby (According to Wiki, never read the manga)...Not dissimilar to Naruto.

We've seen influence on Japanese folklore and older Manga in Naruto before so it's not really surprising if we see it pop up again.

Edit: I just realised that Yu Yu Hoyoko is created by the same person behind Hunter X Hunter. I've never read that either, but my friend used to swear that early part of Naruto were a blatent rip off of HxH, with the exams for promotion, and the way Gon behaved and the rival with the eyes who is the last surviving member of his clan.

Sure, it's just seems much more likely to be a homage to DB while remembering Journey to the West.

#59 FoolishYoungling

FoolishYoungling

Jirou is best girl.

• ANBU
  • 6,158 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:14 PM

When the next chapter coming out?

Left Hand to the Future Pirate King

Vinsmoke "Black Leg" Sanji

2XtVwF6.png

#60 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 28 December 2011 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Lover @ Dec 28 2011, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
When the next chapter coming out?

Wait and find out.

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users