#41 NaruDeeds

NaruDeeds

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:11 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jun 5 2012, 01:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, it sounds awful. And looking at the front page I would be inclined to agree that something has happened behind the scenes at FF.net. Management change, new web team...something's different.

The bad thing is the terms for removal are so broad:

"Fiction M can contain adult language, themes and suggestions. Detailed descriptions of physical interaction of sexual or violent nature is considered Fiction MA and has not been allowed on the site since 2002."

It sounds like it's not just lemons, but fight scenes as well. "Adult language, themes and suggestions" is incredibly vague.

So disappointed. They gave us new icons, but their taking away stories.

Is there an easy way to save stories (like a download button in DeviantArt) other than just plain ol' copy and paste?

If you go to manage stories, there's a "Download/Backup" tab that will put your entire story into one window that is easy to copy and paste, vs. having to export each chapter, or copy and paste each chapter.

As for this crap, I'm going to give FFnet a little time before I jump ship mainly because I'm too lazy to reup all my stories and I personally don't have anything that they could take down with their emphasis on lemons. I feel for the people who just randomly get their stories deleted without warning, but I optimistically hope that ffnet will get their kitten together.

Time will tell I suppose

Edited by NaruDeeds, 05 June 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#42 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (AchikaMiyu @ Jun 5 2012, 04:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So far none of my stories have been purged. While I can see where the admins are coming from, I disagree with their execution.

Honestly, I blame this all on "Fifty Shades of Grey." I think with all of the attention it got and learning that the author originally had a Twilight fic that was the precursor to it, the admins got scared. They had to do something after the site got lots of attention for the wrong reasons. That's my take on it.

Really??? All of this mess started because of one story. huh.gif
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#43 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:53 PM

QUOTE (tricksie @ Jun 5 2012, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
But it makes me appreciate this site more. Thanks mods for keeping H&E so above board, for being of one mind, and working hard to keep everyone adhering to the rules. Good rules, not crazy ones. It makes it more enjoyable for everyone.

Thanks smile.gif

We try to follow the time-old rule of 'treat others as you'd like to be treated'. Which is why I truly believe that the admins at FFnet are not writers themselves, because no fellow writer could treat a whole site full of them with so little respect and so heartlessly.

QUOTE (AchikaMiyu @ Jun 5 2012, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I blame this all on "Fifty Shades of Grey." I think with all of the attention it got and learning that the author originally had a Twilight fic that was the precursor to it, the admins got scared. They had to do something after the site got lots of attention for the wrong reasons. That's my take on it.

This is the first I'm hearing of this. What's the story behind it?

#44 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:21 PM

If you're asking the story behind 50 Shades of Grey, it's that the novel is becoming massively popular now and the fact the author started on FF.net made the admins fear that a lot of people are coming over there to read the Smutty fics for the wrong reasons, I think.

If you seriously want to know...

The novel is a very mature novel with BDSM themes in it.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#45 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE (Codus N @ Jun 5 2012, 10:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you're asking the story behind 50 Shades of Grey, it's that the novel is becoming massively popular now and the fact the author started on FF.net made the admins fear that a lot of people are coming over there to read the Smutty fics for the wrong reasons, I think.

If you seriously want to know...

The novel is a very mature novel with BDSM themes in it.

When you put 18+ in the spoiler I thought you were using it to hide content forbidden on the main board.

#46 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:28 PM

Yeah, but I do kind of worry for the young'uns that would start getting curious about what it is. tongue.gif Which leads to them looking it up....

Edited by Codus N, 05 June 2012 - 04:29 PM.

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#47 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jun 5 2012, 10:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is the first I'm hearing of this. What's the story behind it?

CodusN summed it up. I know that a few weeks ago I saw a news report on 50 Shades that specifically referred to its origin coming from ff.net as a Twilight fic. I have no doubt that there's be a lot of heat from fans trying to find the next 50 shades, authors trying to replicate it, or even concerned readers bashing the site for hosting content like that. Though I can't speak to exactly how deep the MA rating is on 50 Shades since I've never read it or the Twilight fic that precluded it.

End of line.

#48 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:04 PM

Wiki gives further details on this -

http://en.wikipedia...._Shades_of_Grey

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what's pushing this Purge, and between Critics United and this 'Shades of Grey' thing, I'm beginning to get a better picture. What FFnet should do is actually create a MA category, and then have age verification. Even if someone someone obviously lies about their age, FFnet would still be covered legally because they had the age-verification, and warnings that you need to be 18 and older to access the MA fics. But no, this is not what FFnet chooses to do. Instead they choose to hurt, piss off, and alienate the bread and butter of their entire site, the writers themselves.

#49 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jun 5 2012, 10:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what's pushing this Purge, and between Critics United and this 'Shades of Grey' thing, I'm beginning to get a better picture. What FFnet should do is actually create a MA category, and then have age verification. Even if someone someone obviously lies about their age, FFnet would still be covered legally because they had the age-verification, and warnings that you need to be 18 and older to access the MA fics. But no, this is not what FFnet chooses to do. Instead they choose to hurt, piss off, and alienate the bread and butter of their entire site, the writers themselves.

Exactly I said the same thing too. That there should be a different section on the site that will have both M and MA stories with age verification code. This is to me the perfect solution for this problem without erasing thousands of stories as well as removing hundreds of accounts. It is that simple now for FF.net to understand this and go through with it. That will be a different story.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#50 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

I too am too lazy to completely redo my entire FF.net archive, especially since I already pulled all the lemons in the First Great Purge a decade ago. (At the time, I shifted over to AdultFanfiction.net but that site was never very well maintained.)

I am, however, going to create an account on Your Fanfiction and start uploading my Fairy Tail stuff, because they have 0 fics in that category and I can be the SHINING SOLO STAR for a short time. th_yeah.gif

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#51 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:18 PM

QUOTE (Catwho @ Jun 5 2012, 03:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I too am too lazy to completely redo my entire FF.net archive, especially since I already pulled all the lemons in the First Great Purge a decade ago. (At the time, I shifted over to AdultFanfiction.net but that site was never very well maintained.)

I am, however, going to create an account on Your Fanfiction and start uploading my Fairy Tail stuff, because they have 0 fics in that category and I can be the SHINING SOLO STAR for a short time. th_yeah.gif

Lol, I'll give you some time to 'shine solo star' for a lil while, before I upload my own Fairy Tail fic~ ;p

#52 Chew

Chew

^ NaLu meine lub #ever1curr

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:omgawrsh y u do dis, Y U READING

Posted 05 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jun 5 2012, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Lol, I'll give you some time to 'shine solo star' for a lil while, before I upload my own Fairy Tail fic~ ;p

As will I pictureem0.gif

LOL. In all seriousness, this is one of the least strategic moves a website can make. FF thrives on its users, and although it's targeting mainly lemon fics and other things that apparently don't follow the rules (but mainly things with MA content), turning against one group/category of authors basically means turning against the entire community. You mess with one and you're going to piss off the rest. As a writer I don't appreciate what's going on right now one bit. I agree with a lot of others here that said an age filter would've been more effective- randomly deleting stories is just...cruel. Maybe there are certain things that do deserve to be deleted- however, I fail to see the harm in warning the story's author before blindly taking it down. I may not know the history behind these 'purges' as I only joined three years ago, but I know that this is...well, to put it bluntly, extremely idiotic and it's clear that someone's lost their marbles.

Maybe that was too harsh. Oh well. Time to find a backup hosting site. Even if you don't feel you've broken any FF policies, I suggest backing everything up. You never know what'll be targeted next. argh1.png
OTP and my Bby

#53 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

I must admit this is a pain. I went ahead and got an account at yourfanfiction but having to re upload everything is just annoying argh1.png Being super pregnant doesn't help either. Hopefully my story does stay put on FF.net, but I'll do my best to transfer the story to yourfanfiction and my DA account as well, just not right now I'm just plain tired.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#54 kidNinja

kidNinja

Ruining your life since 1992

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (Konohakitten @ Jun 5 2012, 04:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must admit this is a pain. I went ahead and got an account at yourfanfiction but having to re upload everything is just annoying argh1.png Being super pregnant doesn't help either. Hopefully my story does stay put on FF.net, but I'll do my best to transfer the story to yourfanfiction and my DA account as well, just not right now I'm just plain tired.

I really love your signature...
NaruSaku...we believe in logic NOT fanfiction

Check out my story, Chain Reaction: Iron Revolution here

#55 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (kidNinja @ Jun 5 2012, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really love your signature...

Please either send a PM or leave a comment on the member profile, so as not to make completely off-topic posts.

#56 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:57 PM

My stories are saved...in my temporal lobe, I never had a chance to write them down, as I am a horrible writer.

Also, this is horrible...what is the Internet coming to, when it discourages creativity. A few people always seem to want to get into everyone's business.

Edited by Strangelove, 05 June 2012 - 11:58 PM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#57 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Jun 5 2012, 02:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think there were many solutions FF.net could have chosen. But they went for the low-hanging fruit of having a vocal user group be in charge of policing the site.

I have a feeling there was some heat being brought on the owners of ff.net not moderating/enforcing the rules on their site. So they opted to let Critics Union do the work and be the bad guys.

I think the source of the pressure could have been the notoriety brought about Shades of Grey. A likely scenario could be that some people/groups read the smut in the book, then went to FF.net following all the publicity. Thus FF.net is be outed as having rampant erotic fic at a 13+ rating. Then these people/groups (church groups, family groups, political groups, etc.) could easily have sent them a nasty letter saying that they uld be in hot water if they didn't clean up. "Focus on the Family" type of groups. It's not hard to imagine.

So that would be my best guess of why this happened so suddenly. Fanfic and FF.net have gotten unprecedented publicity lately.

HOWEVER, the upgrades are being done by the admins. People with experience in web development. The language on the front page is weird: "we," "we," "we." Who is "we" and where have they been up until now? Makes me wonder if they've hired someone new to handle dev issues in the wake of the publicity.

But the upgrades are not being managed by the idiots in Critics Union. That is a user group who functions as half police/ half bully. And NOT genuine critics.

In a nutshell, these people are nasty to other users in their own threads by taunting authors and boasting about what's being deleted, harrass other users by piling on reviews threatening to report stories that are outside their rules, and regularly use terms like "sh*tfic" in the review telling the author to clean up their story. (It's in one of their latest threads with a mod braggin about it.)

What the mods at FF.net are allowing and encouraging is ridiculously unethical.

These are not transparent ombudsmen, fairly and respectfully enforcing the rules of FF.net. They are merely users, no different than any other high school or college user. They do not have experience or authority to do anything. They are not nominated by a governing unit...they are just users! Like you and me!

It would be like if a group of soccer moms in Michigan decided that half the photos on facebook were too slutty, too drunk and too stupid to be posted. And then they set about to have them all deleted.

The only reason they have the authority to do this is because FF.net lets them. Otherwise they have no right to act this way.

And more than that, they have no experience. They are not critics, and they offer no real critiques. The thread for deleting stories is pages and pages long, clocking in at nearly 2000 posts. The thread about good fics? 69 posts. The writer's help desk? 7 posts.

Their popularity lies in their bashing. And FF.net is wrong for letting it continue. But this group serves as their moderators, so the admins of FF.net don't have to do it.

Reading over my last posts, I want to clarify that I'm not hoping for ff.net's demise, even though I think events like these are nails in the coffin. I'm an advocate for user's rights, and I can't stand when sites like this just flush their users down the toilet. We are that damn site's commodity. The authors and the content they bring. Without us, FF.net doesn't have a site. They should be protecting and promoting authors, and working to preserve the community that they profit from. Not taking the easy way out and letting a bullying user group dictate the rules and thereby destroy the trust of the authors.

Because relying exclusively on a user group for the policing is an arbitrary process, full of flaws. FF.net is deleting on the reccomendation of the group, without a second thought or without a means of recourse for the author. Sooo, if someone has a vendetta against you or your story, all they have to do is report. Critics Union has no reason to represent an author; they only look good if they delete. And they love to do it! The author is at a complete disadvantage. This process is a slippery slope into abuse. And Critic's Union is high on their power. And FF.net is wrong for encouraging them for their own convenience.

...sorry for the long post! happy.gif

Edited by tricksie, 06 June 2012 - 12:35 AM.

#58 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:11 AM

I saved my stories just encase FanFiction decides to pull them down, but seriously this is becoming bullsh**! You can't even write stories without someone getting all up in arms about it. I suppose if they do take down my stories, I'll just move onto another site like everyone else and abandon my FanFiction.net account, but I'd really hate to do that since I've made a lot of fans over the years. At least I know my stories are safe on the Heaven and Earth library. smile.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#59 kirabook

kirabook

Examiner

• ANBU
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

While I am happy that they are taking down some song fics (they technically are against the rules, and there are rarely good ones, they're also taking down strict scrips and chatlogs), I feel they need to have a system that alerts the user and lets them know what's going on.

You can't take down someones work with no hope of recovery silently, that's bad business period.

I must add, they need to add an MA section, says my perverted side.

Posted Image

Sig made by me though. XD

Check out my father and son Minato and Naruto group on FF.net
http://www.fanfictio..._No_Yaoi/74936/

#60 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:52 AM

Well, one thing that the new sites I'm shifting to have that FF.net doesn't is tags... and thats one thing that I'm really interested in. FINALLY I CAN SET IT TO IGNORE YAOI!

*cries manly tears*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users