Getting Over

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:23 AM

Any tips/advice on how to deal with/cope with the ending of a relationship, especially a serious one?

#2 Strangelove

Strangelove

And guess what's inside it

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:27 AM

go out drinking

play videogames

go to a therapist, he or she may give you better nondestructive solutions.

Edited by Strangelove, 09 January 2011 - 03:27 AM.

tumblr_mo8pka1E1T1qflb4co1_500.gif

#3 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:43 AM

I agree with strangelove on the first part, and doing the thing that Tom Hanks did in Cast Away which was take a deep breath and keep going which leads to another point.

Sometimes you just need to get away for awhile, ROAD TRIP!!!! argh1.png

However if you're in the process of and not in the aftermath I've got nothin'. Probably rally around the people close to you. Friends and family are better with this advice then random people on an internet forum.

Edited by Insurrection, 09 January 2011 - 03:46 AM.

#4 TheBerserkMoogle

TheBerserkMoogle

Cute and Fuzzy. Deadly too.

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:44 AM

Here's a tip on what not to do, DON'T love to forget. It only ends up with more pain then you've had before. As for dealing with it, I think the best medicine is laughter. Forgive, forget, enjoy your life. Accept that the person you were dating no longer likes you and move on with your life.

#5 Broken Figurine

Broken Figurine

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 03:51 AM

First thing is to make sure to reach out to the other people in your life. When you spend time with your friends, your family, your co-workers; whoever you feel comfortable with, it makes coping easier. It reminds you that even though that person is gone, you can live without them, because there are others. The second is filling up your time and keeping yourself busy. Things you need to get done--do them. If you can't think of anything, go out to a library. Pick up a book and immerse yourself into it. Start writing stories if you feel like you want to vent it out, or write about something entirely different if that would be better.

If you want to, talk to someone about it.

In the end, time heals the hurt, so right now you'll feel the sting but soon it will be easier to deal with.

#6 Chivalrysae

Chivalrysae

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  • Interests:Flag Football, Anime, Indoor Wall Climbing, Hiking, Running

Posted 09 January 2011 - 05:41 AM

I agree with Broken Figurine. Having friends around to help remind you that you can move on, forget, and even find happiness after a breakup make a huge difference. We'd go out for dinner or have movie nights. Having someone around to share time with you lets you know you're not alone. And remember, it does get better. And as cheesy as it may sound, I'm a firm believer that heartache and heartbreak always lead you to the next best thing in your life.

"Every long lost dream lead me to where you are
Others who broke my heart they were like northern stars
Pointing me on my way into your loving arms
This much I know is true
That God blessed the broken road
That led me straight to you."

#7 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 08:45 PM

1.Listen to good music that absolutely doesn't remind you of old/bad memories/situations.
2.Ask for some help from your friends. Go out with them, have fun to forget what makes you sad.
3. Do anything that makes you happy. I guess that it would be better not to stay alone for a long time because you will probably start thinking of your broken up relationship.
4. Talk with people you trust, tell them what you feel. Expressing and sharing your feelings can be helpful.

I hope that this helps a little bit.

P.S: If you need someone to talk with PM me. I'd like to stand by you if you want me to.

#8 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:01 PM

Well, I'll tell you what I would do/did. Turn your feelings into hatred. After a little while they just begin to fade, and you simply forget the person, or the relationship you had with them. Sometimes it become bearable to even become friends with the person.
It definitely helps. I mean, I know it's not the nicest thing to do, but it's the easiest way to sooth a heart. Also, remember to eat ice-cream. I know it's reeealy cliche, but it works, or chocolate, that works too.
But don't waste your time crying, 'cause it's not worth crying over a guy who made you sad in the first place. Walk over the memories and move on.

Edited by Cupcake-chan, 09 January 2011 - 09:03 PM.

#9 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:20 PM

QUOTE (Strangelove @ Jan 8 2011, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
go out drinking

play videogames

go to a therapist, he or she may give you better nondestructive solutions.

JLHza2T.png

#10 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 09:23 PM

^ Doesn't work. It doesn't make you forget when you wake up the next morning with a throbbing headache.

#11 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (Cupcake-chan @ Jan 9 2011, 03:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
^ Doesn't work. It doesn't make you forget when you wake up the next morning with a throbbing headache.

Not if you keep drinking.

JLHza2T.png

#12 Cupcake-chan

Cupcake-chan

<3

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:02 PM

QUOTE (Muffins? @ Jan 9 2011, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not if you keep drinking.

Yeah, and then you'll need to get your stomach pumped. Drinking isn't the best choice for these situations.

#13 jason voorhees

jason voorhees

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (Cupcake-chan @ Jan 9 2011, 11:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, and then you'll need to get your stomach pumped. Drinking isn't the best choice for these situations.

this ^ trust me my sister had a drinking problem

#14 Muffins?

Muffins?

Bearded Priest of Norvos

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:01 AM

Not the best choice but it worked for me.

JLHza2T.png

#15 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 10 January 2011 - 12:48 AM

I don't think drinking is the best solution for any problems, I think the best solution is too look to your friends for support. If you've got great friends they'll always be there for you in your time of need and help you through the problem and a little bit of wisdom from your parents never hurts. smile.gif

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#16 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

QUOTE (Cupcake-chan @ Jan 9 2011, 04:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, I'll tell you what I would do/did. Turn your feelings into hatred. After a little while they just begin to fade, and you simply forget the person, or the relationship you had with them. Sometimes it become bearable to even become friends with the person.
It definitely helps. I mean, I know it's not the nicest thing to do, but it's the easiest way to sooth a heart. Also, remember to eat ice-cream. I know it's reeealy cliche, but it works, or chocolate, that works too.
But don't waste your time crying, 'cause it's not worth crying over a guy who made you sad in the first place. Walk over the memories and move on.

Honestly, this helped me on my first major break up. This and friends.

After weeks of sulking, I decided that instead of wanting the person that I should hate them for what they did.

Whether that hate is just because of them wasting your time or something much worse is up to you.

#17 Fyuria'sLeo

Fyuria'sLeo

Dork

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,847 posts
  • Interests:Space, Video Games, Drawing, Writing, Science, Reading, Friendship. Mostly things about space.

Posted 10 January 2011 - 04:36 AM

All i can say is time heals all wounds and the hatred thing works i do that all the time. confused.gif

8c5a9c63d23baf4e9d077bf65597592bb55115a2

#18 Pink Cherries

Pink Cherries

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 06:44 AM

shamefulcry0js.gif

I just broke up with my boyfriend a couple hours ago. This was my first breakup with my first boyfriend so I didn't know what to do besides exercise. I just came back from a three mile jog and I already feel better.

I guess what I can recommend is to take care of yourself. It's okay to go through a period of sorrow, but you don't want to lose yourself. Exercise and eat healthy...but I guess some ice cream wouldn't hurt. A healthy body makes a healthy mind. Also, take a nice walk outside. Appreciate what nature has to offer.

If it feels like it's the end of the world, it's not. Just think of it as a new chapter in your life. Don't forget that you're not the only one. You have friends, family, and people on this site who love you. Don't worry about your ex. It's okay if you want to be friends and it's okay if you don't want to see that person again. Right now, it's time to focus on you. Be kind to yourself. Even with all the support you have, remember that your best friend is you.

So, chin up! Shoulders back! Once you overcome these obstacles, you'll be ready to take on the world! a_thumbs.gif

I hope that helps.

#19 Black Rose

Black Rose

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:56 PM

Well, I do know that alcohol can relieve the pain of some people but it can become an addiction

#20 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 10 January 2011 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (Pink Cherries @ Jan 10 2011, 06:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
shamefulcry0js.gif

I just broke up with my boyfriend a couple hours ago. This was my first breakup with my first boyfriend so I didn't know what to do besides exercise. I just came back from a three mile jog and I already feel better.

I guess what I can recommend is to take care of yourself. It's okay to go through a period of sorrow, but you don't want to lose yourself. Exercise and eat healthy...but I guess some ice cream wouldn't hurt. A healthy body makes a healthy mind. Also, take a nice walk outside. Appreciate what nature has to offer.

If it feels like it's the end of the world, it's not. Just think of it as a new chapter in your life. Don't forget that you're not the only one. You have friends, family, and people on this site who love you. Don't worry about your ex. It's okay if you want to be friends and it's okay if you don't want to see that person again. Right now, it's time to focus on you. Be kind to yourself. Even with all the support you have, remember that your best friend is you.

So, chin up! Shoulders back! Once you overcome these obstacles, you'll be ready to take on the world! a_thumbs.gif

I hope that helps.

Seconded this. smile.gif

Break-ups are always painful, and it really does hurt like hell, but you can get through it. If there's something that makes you feel better, like your favourite hobby/film/book/food/place, go for it. Plan a night out/in! Give yourself time, and move forward when you're ready. happy.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users