• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#61 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:45 AM

Those Seminoles though. Wow.

It was an insane comeback. Ole Miss looked unstoppable in the first half, but then kept making all kind of mistakes and Noles took advantage. Certainly was a fantastic cap to a wild opening weekend.

The day after, the Coaches and AP polls are out.

AP

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Florida State
4 Ohio State
5 Michigan
6 Houston
7 Stanford
8 Washington
9 Georgia
10 Wisconsin
11 Texas
12 Michigan State
13 Louisville
14 Oklahoma
15 TCU
16 Iowa
17 Tennessee
18 Notre Dame
19 Ole Miss
20 Texas A&M
21 LSU
22 Oklahoma State
23 Baylor
24 Oregon
25 Miami

Coaches

1 Alabama
2 Clemson
3 Florida State
4 Ohio State
5 Stanford
6 Michigan
7 Houston
8 Michigan State
9 Georgia
10 Iowa
11 Washington
12 TCU
13 Oklahoma
14 Tennessee
15 Louisville
16 Wisconsin
17 Oklahoma State
18 Ole Miss
19 Baylor
20 Texas
21 Notre Dame
22 LSU
23 Oregon
24 Texas A&M
25 Florida

Not many interesting matchups in week 2 in terms of Top 25, although, it should be cool to see the Pitt vs Penn State rivalry comeback. Another rivalry is BYU and Utah, which could be interesting and then there's a Power 5 matchup with Texas Tech vs Arizona State.

As for me, I will only be able to watch one game early on Saturday, Minnesota! Seeing it live at the stadium, weather forecasts look good so should be fun. U of M is taking on Indiana State.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#62 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 27 September 2016 - 09:20 PM

BUMPING This thread because a ton of stuff has happened in the month of September. 

AP Poll
1 Alabama 4-0
2 Ohio State 3-0
3 Louisville 4-0
4 Michigan 4-0
5 Clemson 4-0
6 Houston 4-0
7 Stanford 3-0
8 Wisconsin 4-0
9 Texas A&M 4-0
10 Washington 4-0
11 Tennessee 4-0
12 Florida State 3-1
13 Baylor 4-0
14 Miami (Fla.) 3-0
15 Nebraska 4-0
16 Mississippi
17 Michigan State
18 Utah
19 San Diego State
20 Arkansas
21 TCU
22 Texas
23 Florida
24 Boise State
25 Georgia

So a couple of things that have happened/My thoughts:
  • Wisconsin wrecked Michigan State. I was expecting a total slugfest between the two but it was all Badgers. They still have a tough schedule, though, so I still think the Badgers have a long way to go.
  • Louisville destroyed Florida State and looked really damn good doing so. Next week they meet up with Clemson, which could be the game of the year.
  • Ohio State and Michigan both look really tough this year, their matchup in November should be incredible.
  • The Big 12 is in serious trouble. Baylor is the only undefeated team left and they don't seem invincible, TCU isn't as strong as in years past, Oklahoma has taken a step back and Texas isn't quite there yet.
  • Stanford looks like a contender this year but Washington could make the Pac 12 race interesting.
  • LSU fired Les Miles, so now it will be interesting to see where things go. Obviously, Miles will be wanted by other schools. The more interesting question, though, is whether LSU will find the right replacement coach or if they'll make a mistake and get someone who takes them further back.

On a side note, the Minnesota Golden Gophers are undefeated. No big wins yet, but they have won so far which is good. Next up is a match with Penn State. It should be close but I think Minnesota can win it.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#63 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:14 AM

Should Texas fire Charlie Strong?

509356167_759751.gif?4

#64 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 05:44 AM

Should Texas fire Charlie Strong?

Tough to say, but maybe it's one of those situations where it's just not a good fit. 

It's certainly strange how his career has gone in Texas, though. He was solid as a coordinator and his tenure at Louisville was solid, especially 2012 and 2013.

For whatever reason, though, he just couldn't seem to catch a break with the Longhorns. They even had some OK wins in his tenure and if he wins this weekend then he'll finish close to .500.

Like I said, it might also have just been a bad fit. While Arizona seems to have hit a snag this season, Rich Rodriguez seems to have done somewhat better there than he did at Michigan.

Plus there have been NFL coaches who've been fired that have found success after, too. Both Tony Dungy and Tom Coughlin were fired and went on to win super bowls.

I think Texas might want to move on from Strong and find someone more acquainted with Texas recruiting and Strong could go back to his stomping grounds in the east.

I think another coaching move that will be interesting is Les Miles. The guy had three division championships, two conference championships, a national title and seven bowl wins, eight if you count the one he had at Oklahoma State before he started at LSU.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#65 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 27 November 2016 - 05:45 AM

Kentucky beats the Louisville Cardinals 41-38. We are going to a bowl.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#66 VanitasDS76491

VanitasDS76491

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, Naruto, Bleach,,RWBY, Fairy Tail, Kill la Kill. Dragon Ball Series, Attack on Titan, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, The Last of Us, Hellsing, Yu-Gi-oh, Digimon, Rave Master, The Middle-Earth Saga, Star Wars, Marvel Comics, MCU, Superman, Batman, DC Comics, Metal Gear Series, Transformers Series, Devil May Cry, Bioshock Series, One Piece, Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusko, Soul Eater.

Posted 29 November 2016 - 12:54 PM

Congratulations hope you guys win.

#67 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:06 AM

Congrats for Kentucky! Curious who they'll play and where.

Minnesota earned eight wins this season so they're going bowling, too. 

Right now some predictions are that Minnesota will play in :
  • Holiday Bowl vs Washington State
  • Music City vs. Arkansas
  • Music City vs. Georgia
  • Music City vs. Tennessee
  • Holiday Bowl vs. Utah
In terms of national championship, the conference title games are coming up.
  • SEC, Alabama vs Florida
  • Big Ten, Wisconsin vs Penn State
  • ACC, Clemson vs Virginia Tech
  • PAC 12, Washington vs Colorado
  • MAC, Western Michigan vs Ohio
  • Conference USA, Louisiana Tech vs Western Kentucky
  • Mountain West, San Diego State vs Wyoming

Also, the Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will play in a de facto Big 12 Championship game.

1. Alabama 12-0
2. Ohio State 11-1
3. Clemson 11-1
4. Washington 11-1
5. Michigan 10-2
6. Wisconsin 10-2
7. Penn State 10-2
8. Colorado 10-2
9. Oklahoma 9-2
10. Oklahoma State 9-2
11. USC 9-3
12. Florida State 9-3
13. Louisville 9-3
14. Auburn 8-4
15. Florida 8-3
16. West Virginia 9-2
17. Western Michigan 12-0
18. Stanford 9-3
19. Navy 9-2
20. Utah 8-4
21. LSU 7-4
22. Tennessee 8-4
23. Virginia Tech 9-3
24. Houston 9-3
25. Pittsburgh 8-4

So my guess is, if Alabama, Clemson and Washington all win their title games, then Ohio State will get in over the Big Ten Champion. However, if Clemson or Washington lose, there could be two Big Ten teams in the playoff.

I have to say, though, it would be a real shame if Western Michigan were to win their conference title game and not get into the playoff.

What happens if they win their conference championship, then a New Years bowl and go undefeated, but without even a chance to win a national championship. I know there are strength of schedule arguments, but if that's the case, why not just an entirely new division for college football.

By that logic, 2004 Utah, 2006 Boise State and 2010 TCU would have been out of the playoff, too, because of their schedules. I just don't find it fair to those players, they win all their games, do everything they are asked, and never get a chance to play for a national title.

In my view, they should expand the playoff to eight slots. Five slots for the Power Five conference champions, a Group of Five school with the best record (this season Western Michigan) and the remaining slots for at large teams that are really good. That way it makes sure all of the Power 5 teams are in and gives a chance for smaller schools to get in, plus it won't exclude a team like Ohio State that didn't make it to the title game based on their loss to Penn State.

Edited by Lid, 30 November 2016 - 03:15 AM.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#68 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:20 AM

• Music City vs. Georgia
  • Holiday Bowl vs. Utah

Also, the Oklahoma and Oklahoma State will play in a de facto Big 12 Championship game.

1. Alabama 12-0
2. Ohio State 11-1
3. Clemson 11-1
4. Washington 11-1
5. Michigan 10-2
6. Wisconsin 10-2
7. Penn State 10-2
8. Colorado 10-2
9. Oklahoma 9-2
10. Oklahoma State 9-2
11. USC 9-3
12. Florida State 9-3
13. Louisville 9-3
14. Auburn 8-4
15. Florida 8-3
16. West Virginia 9-2
18. Stanford 9-3
19. Navy 9-2
20. Utah 8-4
21. LSU 7-4
22. Tennessee 8-4
23. Virginia Tech 9-3
24. Houston 9-3
25. Pittsburgh 8-4

So my guess is, if Alabama, Clemson and Washington all win their title games, then Ohio State will get in over the Big Ten Champion. However, if Clemson or Washington lose, there could be two Big Ten teams in the playoff.

I have to say, though, it would be a real shame if Western Michigan were to win their conference title game and not get into the playoff.

What happens if they win their conference championship, then a New Years bowl and go undefeated, but without even a chance to win a national championship. I know there are strength of schedule arguments, but if that's the case, why not just an entirely new division for college football.

By that logic, 2004 Utah, 2006 Boise State and 2010 TCU would have been out of the playoff, too, because of their schedules. I just don't find it fair to those players, they win all their games, do everything they are asked, and never get a chance to play for a national title.

In my view, they should expand the playoff to eight slots. Five slots for the Power Five conference champions, a Group of Five school with the best record (this season Western Michigan) and the remaining slots for at large teams that are really good. That way it makes sure all of the Power 5 teams are in and gives a chance for smaller schools to get in, plus it won't exclude a team like Ohio State that didn't make it to the title game based on their loss to Penn State.

I heard they could play Minnesota. If so...

200_s.gif

509356167_759751.gif?4

#69 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 03:23 AM

I heard they could play Minnesota. If so...

200_s.gif

tumblr_m6tsbiayOf1roc7alo2_400.gif

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#70 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:21 AM

• Music City vs. Georgia
  • Holiday Bowl vs. Utah

1. Alabama 12-0
2. Ohio State 11-1
3. Clemson 11-1
4. Washington 11-1
5. Michigan 10-2
6. Wisconsin 10-2
7. Penn State 10-2
8. Colorado 10-2
9. Oklahoma 9-2
10. Oklahoma State 9-2
11. USC 9-3
12. Florida State 9-3
13. Louisville 9-3
14. Auburn 8-4
15. Florida 8-3
16. West Virginia 9-2
18. Stanford 9-3
19. Navy 9-2
20. Utah 8-4
21. LSU 7-4
22. Tennessee 8-4
23. Virginia Tech 9-3
24. Houston 9-3
25. Pittsburgh 8-4

For what it's worth...you left out American Conference Title Game: Navy vs. Temple. 

Navy is a weird team. They score tons of points without throwing passes. They beat Houston and threw 5 pases the whole game (scoring 40+ points). The rung up 75 points on SMU while throwing 7 passes (they had almost 500 rushing yards and 9 rushing TDs).

You don't mean to say college football is a rigged system run by the power 5 conferences that set up rules that predominately benefit them at everyone else's expense...perish the thought.

#71 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 04:40 AM

For what it's worth...you left out American Conference Title Game: Navy vs. Temple. 

Navy is a weird team. They score tons of points without throwing passes. They beat Houston and threw 5 pases the whole game (scoring 40+ points). The rung up 75 points on SMU while throwing 7 passes (they had almost 500 rushing yards and 9 rushing TDs).

You don't mean to say college football is a rigged system run by the power 5 conferences that set up rules that predominately benefit them at everyone else's expense...perish the thought.

Oh damn it, I thought I was forgetting one. Yeah, I haven't watched much of Houston's games, but it looks like their coach Niumatolo has a good system set up for them.

On your second point, yeah, the whole college football system has been screwed up for a while. No doubt.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#72 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 02 October 2018 - 04:32 AM

Kentucky is 5-0 and Ranked.

giphy.gif

509356167_759751.gif?4

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users