• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#1 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:02 PM

Any other college football fans here? This is the thread to discuss.

Here's the first AP Top 25

1 Oklahoma (36) 0-0 1464
2 Alabama (17) 0-0 1439
3 Oregon (4) 0-0 1330
4 LSU (1) 0-0 1286
5 Boise State (2) 0-0 1200
6 Florida State 0-0 1168
7 Stanford 0-0 1091
8 Texas A&M 0-0 965
9 Oklahoma State 0-0 955
10 Nebraska 0-0 910
11 Wisconsin 0-0 900
12 South Carolina 0-0 848
13 Virginia Tech 0-0 821
14 TCU 0-0 690
15 Arkansas 0-0 686
16 Notre Dame 0-0 530
17 Michigan State 0-0 519
18 Ohio State 0-0 443
19 Georgia 0-0 369
20 Mississippi State 0-0 361
21 Missouri 0-0 258
22 Florida 0-0 228
23 Auburn 0-0 219
24 West Virginia 0-0 207
25 USC 0-0 160

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#2 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 04:06 AM

I'm a fan, but I'm trying not to get too excited so far, partly because I think that my team is a bit overrated.

I'm rooting for Florida State and we haven't finished in the top 10, much less top 5 for over a decade. I think that we finished at about 15 twice in that span. I'd rather be at about 10. It may still be overrating us, but I'm ok with being a bit optimistic. I guess that we'll find out when Oklahoma comes a callin'.

#3 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:20 PM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Aug 25 2011, 11:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm a fan, but I'm trying not to get too excited so far, partly because I think that my team is a bit overrated.

I'm rooting for Florida State and we haven't finished in the top 10, much less top 5 for over a decade. I think that we finished at about 15 twice in that span. I'd rather be at about 10. It may still be overrating us, but I'm ok with being a bit optimistic. I guess that we'll find out when Oklahoma comes a callin'.

Same here, except my team is one of those who define success as making a bowl game no matter how low on the list. But, hey, at least SMU is winning some games now. They were plain old awful while I was there. One of the worst teams in Division I at the time.

I wonder if the NCAA will have the balls to do to Miami what they did to SMU? It tooks 25 years just to reach a low level bowl against Nevada two years ago after the famed death penalty. Not counting on it.

#4 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 03:55 PM

I don't expect Miami to receive the death penalty, even if all the charges are verified.

It should be a serious penalty since 7 members of the coaching staff (maybe including the basketball team?) knew of the problems, but there isn't any evidence that it went above them to any of the ADs (even though Paul Dee hit USC hard because "they should've known") or Donna Shalala. At SMU, it was dozens of boosters doing this, the SMU Board of Governors knew about it and the AD even wrote one of the checks. And all of this was while they were on probation. (Ironically, the ESPN special was next on my Netflix queue when the story broke.)

SMU's situation might not be the minimum standard for what warrants a death penalty, but Miami's seems to be much lower than theirs. Miami isn't currently on probation either. I expect a bowl ban for a few years and the loss of maybe 30 scholarships over 4 years and then probation for another few years which in my opinion will be much too low.

It'll be easier once we see what Ohio State gets. They're probably Miami's biggest fans right now because it makes the Pryor thing look miniscule in comparison.

#5 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:31 PM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Aug 26 2011, 10:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't expect Miami to receive the death penalty, even if all the charges are verified.

It should be a serious penalty since 7 members of the coaching staff (maybe including the basketball team?) knew of the problems, but there isn't any evidence that it went above them to any of the ADs (even though Paul Dee hit USC hard because "they should've known") or Donna Shalala. At SMU, it was dozens of boosters doing this, the SMU Board of Governors knew about it and the AD even wrote one of the checks. And all of this was while they were on probation. (Ironically, the ESPN special was next on my Netflix queue when the story broke.)

SMU's situation might not be the minimum standard for what warrants a death penalty, but Miami's seems to be much lower than theirs. Miami isn't currently on probation either. I expect a bowl ban for a few years and the loss of maybe 30 scholarships over 4 years and then probation for another few years which in my opinion will be much too low.

It'll be easier once we see what Ohio State gets. They're probably Miami's biggest fans right now because it makes the Pryor thing look miniscule in comparison.

I know many SMU fans feel burned. It's not so much about whether SMU deserved it (it did), but the previailing belief among them and college atheletics in general that they would never do something like this to a Miami or Ohio State, especially after what it did to the SMU program. SMU football was ruined and it took 25 years to be marginally relevant again.

One of the writers at yahoo, probably Robinson (who broke the story) made the case that one of reasons violations are so rampant is that nobody believes the NCAA will do something like that again. I'd be shocked if it did

#6 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 05:56 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Aug 26 2011, 01:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know many SMU fans feel burned. It's not so much about whether SMU deserved it (it did), but the previailing belief among them and college atheletics in general that they would never do something like this to a Miami or Ohio State, especially after what it did to the SMU program. SMU football was ruined and it took 25 years to be marginally relevant again.

One of the writers at yahoo, probably Robinson (who broke the story) made the case that one of reasons violations are so rampant is that nobody believes the NCAA will do something like that again. I'd be shocked if it did

One thing that seems to be overlooked is that before the cheating at SMU began, they were pretty mediocre. So you can argue that a lot of the effects are just a return to the norm. It's not all of it because they weren't miserably bad, but just meh. However, the comparison that everybody makes with SMU is their 10 and 11 win seasons that they enjoyed for a few years, not just the average years that they'd had before them.

The NCAA has administered the death penalty since then, but not to a football program (or any major sports program). I agree that it's exceedingly unlikely that they'll ever do so again, particularly to a big name program, but it doesn't sound like violations are rampant compared to how they were before SMU got the death penalty. Half the SWC was on probation and it sounds like they were all doing stuff similar to what SMU was doing before their board got involved. They just didn't get caught (at least on the flagrant violations). Thanks to SMU's death penalty, I'm pretty sure that programs are going to shy away from getting involved to nearly the extent that SMU's board did and simply turn a blind eye. I still think that the penalties should be stiffened for that.

One of my first reactions to the Miami story was the fear that since it was so massive with Miami, it makes it a bit more difficult to believe that my program is squeaky clean (aside from the academic fraud of a few years ago).

#7 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Aug 26 2011, 12:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One thing that seems to be overlooked is that before the cheating at SMU began, they were pretty mediocre. So you can argue that a lot of the effects are just a return to the norm. It's not all of it because they weren't miserably bad, but just meh. However, the comparison that everybody makes with SMU is their 10 and 11 win seasons that they enjoyed for a few years, not just the average years that they'd had before them.

The NCAA has administered the death penalty since then, but not to a football program (or any major sports program). I agree that it's exceedingly unlikely that they'll ever do so again, particularly to a big name program, but it doesn't sound like violations are rampant compared to how they were before SMU got the death penalty. Half the SWC was on probation and it sounds like they were all doing stuff similar to what SMU was doing before their board got involved. They just didn't get caught (at least on the flagrant violations). Thanks to SMU's death penalty, I'm pretty sure that programs are going to shy away from getting involved to nearly the extent that SMU's board did and simply turn a blind eye. I still think that the penalties should be stiffened for that.

One of my first reactions to the Miami story was the fear that since it was so massive with Miami, it makes it a bit more difficult to believe that my program is squeaky clean (aside from the academic fraud of a few years ago).

Did you know the campus has a building named after Clements who was neck deep in this mess and Governor of Texas when the story broke? I think they should re-think that.

You could also argue that the sucking that took place 10+ years out was a function of crappy recruiting, poor coaching, etc. I remember seeing a game, maybe a few years ago (prior to June Jones) that was on ESPN where the annoucers complaining that if you're going to blitz you shouldn't annouce it because you could hear SMU defensive players yelling blitz on the broadcast. I think they were playing Texas Tech. I don't think the won any games that year or if they did, it was 1.

#8 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Aug 26 2011, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Did you know the campus has a building named after Clements who was neck deep in this mess and Governor of Texas when the story broke? I think they should re-think that.

I think that they mentioned that during the documentary, but I was assuming that the name got changed after the scandal.

QUOTE (Nate River @ Aug 26 2011, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You could also argue that the sucking that took place 10+ years out was a function of crappy recruiting, poor coaching, etc. I remember seeing a game, maybe a few years ago (prior to June Jones) that was on ESPN where the annoucers complaining that if you're going to blitz you shouldn't annouce it because you could hear SMU defensive players yelling blitz on the broadcast. I think they were playing Texas Tech. I don't think the won any games that year or if they did, it was 1.

To reverse course a bit, that recruiting could be blamed on the scandal to an extent because their reputation made it more difficult to recruit. Players might fear that they'd be tainted by association or fear of future sanctions. Or it could just be a part of the normal up-and-down that teams face. Texas fell completely off the map last year and it had nothing to do with sanctions.

#9 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 07:02 PM

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Aug 26 2011, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that they mentioned that during the documentary, but I was assuming that the name got changed after the scandal.

It probably should have been, but I don't know SMU brass actually feel about him.

#10 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 01:52 AM

The stuff happening with Miami right now is wild, I think the bowl ban and scholarships being taken away is most likely too. I wonder how the things going on with Ohio State will effect the Big Ten, it might give Wisconsin a chance to take over. I am fairly sure though that Terrel Pryor won't be very successful. lol

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#11 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 08:52 PM

LSU's Quarterback and LB have been arrested for battery charges. 8 players for Miami are ineligible including the Quarterback. Ohio State's been hurt meaning Nebraska's coming.

Texas A&M is getting ready to move out of the Big-12 probably setting off a chain of events that'll destroy the conference.

Also who do you think will win the Pac-12?

#12 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

I read something on one site that was thinking that the Big 12 was going to continue falling apart. When it comes to the Pac 12, without knowing fully what USC can do with the suspensions, I think Oregon could do it again.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#13 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 09:15 PM

Razorbacks!!!!!!!! Got to support my school. Haven't seen our new QB in action though so it should be an interesting season.
75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#14 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:12 PM

Kickoff is tonight! Hope the Badgers go down hm.png

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#15 Mik3

Mik3

Dame a raise un perdedor.

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts
  • Interests:games, anime, music. just chilling.

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:03 PM

Going to Villanova vs Temple. Great to see a football rivalry in the city shaping up lately. Im happy in general that football is back though, nothing makes me happier. Won't be till early next year without football, beautiful.
\

#16 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 04:53 AM

How was the game? Score was one sided.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#17 Mik3

Mik3

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:33 PM

It WAS a good atmosphere. This is the first time it was so completely one sided. But Bernard Pierce ran like a mad man. Nova fans were howling back at the temple kids and said they would return the favor in basketball, overall it was still a good time.

Edited by Mik3, 02 September 2011 - 10:33 PM.

\

#18 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:06 AM

WOW, just watched the TCU vs Baylor game. How wild, anyone else see it?

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#19 Mik3

Mik3

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,843 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:10 AM

Great game, Baylor had spanked TCU up until the 4th. Feel bad for TCU, losing everything on their first game
\

#20 Insurrection

Insurrection

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:23 AM

QUOTE (Mik3 @ Sep 2 2011, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great game, Baylor had spanked TCU up until the 4th. Feel bad for TCU, losing everything on their first game

Baylor's quarterback is underrated, very athletic. Wasn't surprised they beat TCU actually. The more exciting game is in Boise St. v Georgia and Oregon V. LSU tomorrow.

I'm looking to see how Franklin will do for Pinkel at Mizzou. I take it LID wants to see how Minnesota does against USC. That should be interesting too.

Edited by Insurrection, 03 September 2011 - 04:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users