Close
Photo

Fan-fic writers and readers how do you feel about NaruSaku "affair" fics?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Candleguy

Candleguy

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:14 PM

It's not an entirely new concept. There have been a few scattered here and there. But there is potential for an explosion of such because IMO Narusaku writers who prefer to play as close to Canon as possible as a jump off point have to now either diverge right at 699 or deal with the platform Kishi has given if they want to deal with older versions of the characters

For me personally I found the idea initially distasteful and OOC however the writer in me after considering Naruto and Sakura chap 700 characterization (Naruto somewhat a stiff character and Sakura at home with her daughter and her husband wandering somewhere) I find there are interesting for the lack of better phrase character loopholes left by Kishis bad writing.

Of course this may not be their permanent characterization but this is what the original source has left us with. The spin-off and movie don't to me necessarily hold as much weight as the manga.

And again the awful ending has created some ambiguities that are ripe for interpretation

Anyway I am just rambling now my main thing was to get general consensus on affair fics.

Writers do you have any interest at all in exploring that?

Readers if they are given enough thought and written with respect to the characters involved could you enjoy them?

#2 kidNinja

kidNinja

Ruining your life since 1992

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:32 PM

I'm all for it and have been waiting to read some. I saw a brief oneshot affair fic that was a good read.

Considering what we've seen in that garbage of an epilogue, it may not be so OOC after all.

NaruSaku...we believe in logic NOT fanfiction

Check out my story, Chain Reaction: Iron Revolution here

#3 Catwho

Catwho

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:59 PM

One of the greatest Inuyasha fics I ever read was called "Rebound" - AU, far future, in which Kagome had married Hojo in present day, Inuyasha had married Kikyo-zombie in the past, and then Hojo had divorced Kagome who fled to the past only to discover that Inuyasha was now a disabled widower.

It was a refreshing take on the love quadrangle from that series, dealing with adult love instead of young first loves.  People change, after all.

Edited by Catwho, 13 November 2014 - 05:22 PM.

Read my stuff! Some of the stories are even finished! Catwho on Fanfiction.net
I also now have a Tumblr like thing:  http://tprara.tumblr.com/

#4 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 04:59 PM

Don't like them because someone is going to either be unjustly burned and multiple parties will look real ugly. Lots of hurt feelings (kids including). I suppose in the right hands and if the author was honest about all the collateral damage, I might be able to live with it. But, I don't see myself enjoying the NaruSaku aspect of it.

#5 FaceLess

FaceLess

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Being a badass!

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:08 PM

No. That's disrespectful, even if it's fiction, affair is bad and wrong! If you're still continuing writing fanfic, write something that won't make the characters look bad

tumblr_static_tumblr_m4a37xocyc1qdfdg1o3

#6 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:14 PM

Meh. For the reasons that Nate and Faceless said, and that writing an affair for fanfic is just not terribly creative, and usually says more about the author's desire to see the characters together than the character's desires for each other. 

Besides, unless your character is a natural born jigolo, then he or she is just going to look like schmuck or a homewrecker or both.

#7 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,032 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:35 PM

As a Christian I hate Adultrey so no I don't like it.

509356167_759751.gif?4

#8 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:37 PM

For writers, everything has been done under the sun. Every story. Every trope. Every character. They have all been written into oblivion. An affair could be creatively lazy, but it doesn't have to be. It depends on one matter - execution. Like Nate said, writer bias will probably play a role. A NaruSaku shipper will more than likely do characters injustice. They might spin the web to try and justify that the affair is correct without fault to Naruto or Sakura; however, in the right hands that doesn't have to be the case. But it will more than likely be the case.

The challenge in writing comes from being emotionally involved with your characters and not being emotionally involved at the same time. It sounds oxymoronic but it isn't, I promise. An author has to understand the psyche of their character while also being able to make plot choices based on the good of the story, not the good of the character. I can't tell you how many times I have been given a story meant to be dark in some fashion, only for the author to have gotten so attached to their character that they abandon the story's integrity for the perfect ending with all loose ends tied up, etc.  

75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

#9 questdrivencollie

questdrivencollie

trainer of ninja hounds

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts
  • Interests:Art, music, anime & manga, animals, dog training & behavior

"If I stumble, take a tumble
    Go ahead serve me another
    And if I fall I’ll give it my all
    ‘Cause the fall is half the fight "

Posted 13 November 2014 - 05:38 PM

As both a Christian and a girl who came from a broken home because my father pulled something like that, I don't appreciate the idea at all. I don't know about in general, but I happen to know my father had several relationships after the one that tore him out of our lives. If someone will leave their family for someone else, who's to say they won't eventually do the same thing to the person they're having an affair with? It's not pretty and just leaves a trail of wrecked lives. That wouldn't fit Naruto's character at all.

Don't like them because someone is going to either be unjustly burned and multiple parties will look real ugly. Lots of hurt feelings (kids including). I suppose in the right hands and if the author was honest about all the collateral damage, I might be able to live with it. But, I don't see myself enjoying the NaruSaku aspect of it.

THIS. Thank you.

Edited by questdrivencollie, 13 November 2014 - 05:46 PM.

tumblr_inline_nt19in1cWl1sat1vz_540_zpsd
"Don't ever turn me loose
Even when I turn my back"
~Relient K

#10 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

As a personal taste, I don't like affair fics of any kind. To me, it just feels like it glorifies infidelity and usually makes the characters look bad. The only exception would be if a character is canonically known to be unfaithful (like say, Spirit from Soul Eater) but I still don't like to read or write about characters having affairs.   

#11 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 07:52 PM

All in all it depends on how it's done, the way Kishi's written the epilogue has left many believable avenues where not just one but any of the four could be having an extra marital affair, the overworked husband who never sees his family, the two housewifes who spend all their times home alone with no one for company but their children and ofcourse Sasuke the travelling salesman, who could have a different wife in each village he sells his wares.

It's a odd ending, by trying to have everyone paired off, and sell us not only his movie but part 3 of the manga, Kishi's has without realising left the his story where while those who are just happy with their pairing becoming canon will not see it, anyone who actually takes the time to look at it, will see what looks like two unhappy marraiges.

That said though, extra marrital affairs would actually be out of charactor, OK I can actually see Sasuke cheating, simply because he's driven by his wants sometime that I can see him cheating on Sakura just to get a male heir.

Personally I'm not a big fan of them, forgetting all the moral side, the fics themselves are often written, where you can't help but feel one side (in this case would be Skura) is feeling lonely and they would take advantage of another persons (Naruto) feeling for them in the past, and dislike both parties at the end. It would be a tricky affair, and honestly it takes a really talented writer to pull it off, writing such a touchy subject without making you hate the main charactors is not an easy task, specially when kids are involved.

iAnby7W.gif

#12 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:26 PM

Meh. For the reasons that Nate and Faceless said, and that writing an affair for fanfic is just not terribly creative, and usually says more about the author's desire to see the characters together than the character's desires for each other. 

Besides, unless your character is a natural born jigolo, then he or she is just going to look like schmuck or a homewrecker or both.

In other words, a fix-it fic. Affair is such a terrible vehicle for that type of story. It won't work.

As a personal taste, I don't like affair fics of any kind. To me, it just feels like it glorifies infidelity and usually makes the characters look bad. The only exception would be if a character is canonically known to be unfaithful (like say, Spirit from Soul Eater) but I still don't like to read or write about characters having affairs.

I won't say the issue as a general matter can never make for a compelling story, but I imagine what you describe being the norm. NS love being looked at in a positive light while Hinata and Sasuke are either trashed through contrived plot devices or are simply left to twist in the wind. And this isn't evn getting into the kids.

No thanks. It's not canon, but I'd rather either start at a point in the time line that pre-dates the NH/SS relationship or simply assumes NH/SS into non-existence.

#13 Qia

Qia

Little Weasel

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,176 posts
  • Interests:Too many to name

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:51 PM

For me...it depends on the writer and if he is good at making me feel a certain way about the fic. Then i might still be able to enjoy it. Still...that person would have to have a lot of experience in writing and must be really good at it...knowing how to use certain words and making certain situations happen. Etc. Also as long as they don't seek to justify it.... i have yet to come across an ns affair fic that accomplishes this however.

Edited by Qia, 13 November 2014 - 08:54 PM.

single-cherry-blossom-tree-4k-high-quali

#14 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:24 PM

Well anyone can write whatever they want and honestly if its handled well it could indeed be a good read, it just depends. However personally I would never write it. My reasons are because...

1. I will never write about the canon ending of Naruto, ever.

2. Because even though I hate Hinata I won't make her future suck even more.

Clearly Naruto is never home and he doesn't spend that much time with his family, making him be a cheater on top of that would just be plain mean towards Hinata, and not even I would do that to her. Besides writing a story like that is going to get a lot of people upset and I want real reviews on my work not just bashing, so yeah. Currently I only have one Naruto story and if I do write more it will be a continuation of the universe I created or I will write an alternate future that happens after 698.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#15 Zodd

Zodd

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 November 2014 - 09:49 PM

Usually with affairs in love stories it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

In many stories and plots affairs are used as a plot device, to either cause conflict or to keep the plot moving in some way or form.  Trying to weave an affair and a love story does not work too well.  What message does it deliver if two characters have an affair and then they live happily ever after?  It does not sit well with me.

If an affair is utilized in a love story it better damn well be tragic. 

24zf3gz.gif

#16 Zatheko

Zatheko

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts
  • Interests:Manga, Anime, Writing, MMO's, Games

Posted 13 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

While I think Naruto and Sakura deserve each other I don't really care for "affair" fics. 

Cheating is one of the things I absolutely cannot stand.

I guess if maybe it was shown that Sasuke was being an abusive husband to her (but it didn't, at worse it seems like he my not be around all the much but that can't actually be proven).

#17 Win-chan

Win-chan

Eternal NaruSaku Warrior

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Interests:Music, Piano, Violin, Composing, Writing, Reading, Enneagram, Psychology, Ancient History

Favorite anime/manga: Naruto, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Death Note

Favorite TV shows: Supernatural and Sherlock

Favorite ships: NARUSAKU!, MinaKushi, ShikaTema, IchiRuki, MustangxHawkeye, SayaxHaji

Favorite Naruto characters (in no particular order): Naruto, Kakashi, Yamato, Shikamaru, Sakura, Minato, Deidara, Gaara

Posted 14 November 2014 - 01:37 AM

At first, I was so angry I was like, "BRING ON THE AFFAIRS" even though I'm actually 100% against it in real life. My thought process was that I felt like Naruto and Sakura belonged together so much that I didn't even see it as cheating since it felt like they were cheating by being with Sasuke and Hinata in the first place (you know what I'm saying? Do I make sense?) But then the rational part of me kicked in and I was like, "Wait, I really don't like this. It destroys the integrity of Naruto and Sakura's characters. They wouldn't do this." 

However, that doesn't mean that there aren't loopholes. I myself am working on a fanfiction which jumps off of the canon and tries to undo everything, except for I am making a vow with myself to not make it adulterous. I actually have lots of ideas to explain what happened and am being very careful with everything. I think it can be done, depending on how the author handles it. Just, never adultery. No me gusta.

SHINACHIKU

tumblr_inline_ngnhtp3KQk1sy20ab.jpg

The strong-willed, intelligent and powerful yet loving, tender, and sensitive heartthrob of Konoha.

#18 archangel

archangel

Chuunin

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:01 AM

Mixed feeling. I know affair hurt. Back in high school, I've met a girl and she spend all her summer with me. We were close. I saw my bestfriend look at her. I confront him about it in june, ask him if he had feeling for her. he told me plain NO. At the end of august, she was seeing him secretly. She's the one that told me that they were a couple now. I gave her 10 min to leave me because I knew I was about to go a little crazy. Then I laugh for while, because I see it coming. I go to my best friend work ( since I get him the job in the 1st place) and I might have traumatise some waitress. After his shift, he come home, we talked and I told him how much of a backstabbing piece of kitten he was. We didn't talked for a year and let me tell you something, you go to dark place when you've got backstab just before college by two of the person you thrust the most.. We hooked up next year and I forgive them both (NOT EASY) . It 's gonna be their 10 years together and looking back, I guess it's better this way and I wasn't a piece of crap like Sasuke all right, just to clarify.  I mean I guess we weren't meant to be.

So in a NS story where NH and SS exist, I think it is possible, depending on how it's deliver. The kind of story where both aren't happy in their couple, they know it was a mistake and know that their affair is not right (they shouldn't but sometime because it's not right by society might be what felt right) . And ended their affair in the end if they're not happy in the relationship, by breaking it up. It's all depend on how it is deliver, because seeing chapter 700, you know they don't look happy, no one does. The only thing about the affair fic for me is that I don't want them to have children imply though. This situation happen too much in real life and though the parent might find happiness, the children are scar from it.

It's depend on how it's deliver. An affair fic can be a great love story ( and easy for variet of lemon scene) , problem is that he might hurt 2 persons( though I doubt about Sasuke , so hurt 1 person and that's why it's not well scene) It's challenging to do a good one in my view. I wouldn't do it as a continuity of 699 or in a after the last though. I probably let my frustration for Kishi take over and the story might be hit bad. I rather tried to make an ending for Naruto from 698 instead. That way my frustration for the plot hole help me to fix it.

Because in the end, if both couple weren't happy, that mean somewhere deep down it's wrong for all parties and that mean Hinata (since to me she's the one getting hurt in this) could find a better match.

Edited by archangel, 14 November 2014 - 02:05 AM.

#19 Iwantbuns

Iwantbuns

Liana loves yellow o_o

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts
  • Location:What does that even mean? My 'location' changes all the time...
  • Interests:NaruSaku, SasuNaru, SasuHina, Sakura, Naruto, Hinata, Sasuke, Gaara, Itachi, Kakashi, Madara (especially when he's badass xD), Hashirama's laugh <3, forums, debating about random s**t, bananas, lemons, the color yellow, the number 29, people cheating on other people, people killing themselves, the power of bonds and s**t, anime, manga, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, One Piece, Bleach, Sailor Moon, Fairy Tail, Pokemon, Death Note, Yu-Gi-Oh, and much more, chibis, drawing, dogs, cats, frogs, angst, tragedy, fluff, music, punk rock, piano, dubstep, trance, Avril Lavigne, OneRepublic, Ed Sheeran, Paramore, monsters, zombies, vampires, demons, violence, sex, supernatural s**t, food, fat people, anorexic people, Dora the Explorer, and Barney the mother-effing dinosaur. :)

Posted 14 November 2014 - 02:46 AM

An "affair" fanfic? Sounds fun.

tumblr_inline_miqmooGYSM1qz4rgp.gif

Why do people NOT ship these two? I just don't get it.

Probably cause they hate Sakura. When she's probably the most developed female character in the whole show.

I respect Hinata, but Sakura deserves some too.

#20 KnS

KnS

感じの作家

• ANBU
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Writing

Posted 14 November 2014 - 08:14 AM

simply assumes NH/SS into non-existence.

I'm working on it.  Every day it's a little easier.  I'm usually not on board with denial, but in this case I cannot accept the reality (emotionally or intellectually) so I don't have much choice.

As for an affair fic, no.  Cheating is an extremely damaging betrayal.  It strikes at the core of commitment, not just between married couples but to children.  No.  It would violate everything Naruto (the character) is about to have him cheating, and thanks to Kishimoto we've already had enough violation of Naruto's character.   :down:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users