Close
Photo

The Great Naruto Discussion Thread

naruto wtf discuss

• Please log in to reply
31567 replies to this topic

#26981 Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Bryon_Konoha_Ninja

Magnificient Bastard (aka Cliffhanger Bastard!)

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,904 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:37 PM

And yes, you point out just more reasons why Hinata is a waste of space in the story, at NO POINT does she evolve. Not even the death of her beloved cousin could make her change. She doesn't rise up and fill the space left by him in their clan. Her only ambition is to stand beside Naruto and hold his hand. Which is the same as it was before Neji died. 

I know people say she had a character evolution in part one, where she stood up to Neji and fought him, all because Naruto inspired her. And yes, it's true. She did rise up there. But I'm not sure it took. Because in the end, she is still completely focused on Naruto. She can't see or do anything for anyone else. Sakura told her to focus on the enemy...but in the end, we know that Hinata never does. So is it a valid character evolution if the character doesn't change in the end?

Depressingly, I feel sorta the same way about Sakura. Except where Hinata never truly evolved, I feel like Sakura's evolution was taken away from her. She ended up with Sasuke, in spite of everything she said, did or felt for Naruto. 

Sad part is, the only reason Hinata decided to rise against Neji was what Naruto said to her, even if he was mad at Neji thinking people couldn't change, and the fact is, she devolved more than evolved in the end, given she was WORSE when Naruto returned in the start of Shippuden.

Though you nailed it, Tricksie; Sakura did have her evolution taken away just to "get her out of the way" by SP and Kishimoto to try to please the "silent majority". XP

Edited by Bryon_Konoha_Ninja, 16 January 2019 - 05:38 PM.

#26982 VanitasDS76491

VanitasDS76491

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,246 posts
  • Interests:Narusaku, Naruto, Bleach,,RWBY, Fairy Tail, Kill la Kill. Dragon Ball Series, Attack on Titan, Kingdom Hearts, Final Fantasy, Resident Evil, The Last of Us, Hellsing, Yu-Gi-oh, Digimon, Rave Master, The Middle-Earth Saga, Star Wars, Marvel Comics, MCU, Superman, Batman, DC Comics, Metal Gear Series, Transformers Series, Devil May Cry, Bioshock Series, One Piece, Claymore, Full Metal Alchemist, Yu Yu Hakusko, Soul Eater.

Posted 16 January 2019 - 05:43 PM

You know if Hinata does dir in Boruto I think I won't care oh I will smile and laugh.

Same I'd to the same thing.

#26983 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 16 January 2019 - 09:12 PM

I was so betting on Sasuke biting the dust though, for real. That guy has flirted with death so many times, done so many bad deeds... like it's a fact that him and plot armor are more intimate with each other than him and Sakura...

I agree - I always though it would be Sasuke who would die. Or at the very least become the new 'Jiraiya' traveling monk figure — a powerful, fascinating old friend of theirs whose visits to Konoha always meant bad news. But one who lives so far outside of the realm of Konoha's day-to-day that he's nearly forgotten about for half the series. Literally, like Jiraiya. And which is practically the same as being dead - lol.

Sasuke dying would have made sense, sure. At the very least, he should be the most wanted man in the world, Vash the Stampede style. Once you've reached the point where a buncha Kage's are saying "this guy's a major problem, we're going to need to take care of this" you can't really step that back. But I never once thought it would happen.

The writing in Naruto was... I don't necessarily want to say predictable, because if you know enough about stories and how to properly tell them, or if you've even just read enough stories, you can tell where a lot of them are going to go. But it definitely fell into patterns. The manga never really liked to kill anyone, even when it would have made sense, unless the character was unimportant. Even in the case of the latter - someone like Neji - it might pull back, only to do it much later when all the emotional impact it might have had would have been gone. Given how it had been admitted that Sasuke was the favorite character of the author and how the entire manga hinged on "redeeming Sasuke" it was clear even early in Part 2 there was no way he bit the dust. I'd always figured he was going to get a pardon when Naruto became Hokage even if it made no sense for anyone to accept that - I guess it was a curveball that it ended up being Kakashi - though I hadn't guessed the f***ery that would come. I expected about what you'd expect for a happy ending; Naruto becomes Hokage before the end, wins Sakuras heart (probably before the end, but then, Shönen loves to leave pairing stuff for the end), defeats Sasuke and drags him home to answer for what he's done, maybe they make peace, then pardons him or whatever and has him confined to the village under basic house arrest (because even if Konoha pardons him why the hell would the other nations?)

bd5.jpg

#26984 Yyubie

Yyubie

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:38 PM

https://gematsu.com/...-kakashi-hatake

It seems this game will be filled more with character from Naruto .... and that brat somehow make it's way in.

Sad ... it seems going to be good game , i'm not gonna get this ... one tiny piece of s**t ruins it for me.

tumblr_nexjjgShiv1rz4qnxo1_500.gif
An out of control man needs a strong woman to control him.
And even a violent woman will become soft and tender to the man she love.

#26985 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

Let's see they probably have Naruto (the main character,) Sasuke (the rival,) Kaguya (the final big bad,) Boruto (the main character of the sequel; so he was always eventually going to be included in these Shounen Jump crossover games,) and Kakashi as well as Gaara (two of the most popular characters from Naruto.) No, these choices make sense to me. As long as they don't add in Hinata instead of Sakura.

#26986 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 04:35 PM

https://gematsu.com/...-kakashi-hatake

It seems this game will be filled more with character from Naruto .... and that brat somehow make it's way in.

Sad ... it seems going to be good game , i'm not gonna get this ... one tiny piece of s**t ruins it for me.

And they can't put in Saitama? This is bull. Oh well, I will at least have fun playing Goku beating on both of them. It will be awesome.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 17 January 2019 - 04:35 PM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#26987 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

I'm using Izuku and Asta to pound the kitten out of the Naruto series :yes:

Not even the fact that you can bash in the skulls of the trash heap Naruto series from any other infinitely superior WSJ series?

Edited by Phantom_999, 17 January 2019 - 05:56 PM.

3fbe3276d61acb2079b56cd2212a341c14963200

#26988 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 17 January 2019 - 06:48 PM

And they can't put in Saitama? This is bull. Oh well, I will at least have fun playing Goku beating on both of them. It will be awesome.

Isn't One-Punch Man a seinen series? Because I could've sworn I saw it somewhere that it isn't shonen.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#26989 Yyubie

Yyubie

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:34 PM

I'm using Izuku and Asta to pound the kitten out of the Naruto series :yes:

Not even the fact that you can bash in the skulls of the trash heap Naruto series from any other infinitely superior WSJ series?

Unless boruto , kaguya and most of character from naruto except at least naruto himself is not available from the start (only naruto available from the start) , and you have to play the main story / single player campaign and you have to do certain mission or side quest to unlock them , then i will get the game and i will MAKE SURE to never do the requirement to unlock this character so they will remain "?" in the roster. Or better ... make them a seperate DLC , that is even better so i can just get the basic game and avoid this DLC.

tumblr_nexjjgShiv1rz4qnxo1_500.gif
An out of control man needs a strong woman to control him.
And even a violent woman will become soft and tender to the man she love.

#26990 HalfDemonInuyasha

HalfDemonInuyasha

Mercenary

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 07:36 PM

While I don't think it would have the extreme shipping backlash, I think the double standard would still have been loud and and active.

Because Naruto's with Hinata, all those fans have happily forgotten the fact that Naruto didn't succeed at ANY of his goals. It feels like a happy ending to them, even though it really isn't for the characters.

But if he were with Sakura, then all Naruto's failures and shortcomings would just be added to the reasons why Sakura is so wrong for him. Basically, she would be getting blamed for Naruto's failure to bring Sasuke home, failure to see any real punishment and failure to become Kage within the space of the manga. And any of the dumb things Naruto did aftwerwards (with Hinata and Boruto), would obviously be all Sakura's fault because she's a terrible wife/mother/human/shinobi/etc. Then NH fans would just hate Sakura more, imagining how perfect life would have been with an NaruHina ending. I just don't see a way that Sakura wins. Which sucks.

And yeah - the fact that they had to retcon a whole series makes it glaringly obvious how the story should have ended.

I agree - I always though it would be Sasuke who would die. Or at the very least become the new 'Jiraiya' traveling monk figure — a powerful, fascinating old friend of theirs whose visits to Konoha always meant bad news. But one who lives so far outside of the realm of Konoha's day-to-day that he's nearly forgotten about for half the series. Literally, like Jiraiya. And which is practically the same as being dead - lol.

And yes, you point out just more reasons why Hinata is a waste of space in the story, at NO POINT does she evolve. Not even the death of her beloved cousin could make her change. She doesn't rise up and fill the space left by him in their clan. Her only ambition is to stand beside Naruto and hold his hand. Which is the same as it was before Neji died. 

I know people say she had a character evolution in part one, where she stood up to Neji and fought him, all because Naruto inspired her. And yes, it's true. She did rise up there. But I'm not sure it took. Because in the end, she is still completely focused on Naruto. She can't see or do anything for anyone else. Sakura told her to focus on the enemy...but in the end, we know that Hinata never does. So is it a valid character evolution if the character doesn't change in the end?

Depressingly, I feel sorta the same way about Sakura. Except where Hinata never truly evolved, I feel like Sakura's evolution was taken away from her. She ended up with Sasuke, in spite of everything she said, did or felt for Naruto. 

Yep, the pro-enders always try to make up excuses whenever you bring up how Naruto never truly succeeded in any of his goals, including becoming Hokage. Even the very one-shot itself, one of the most important days of Boruto's dad's life, was all about Boruto's dad's spawn rather than Boruto's dad himself.

With Sasuke, I always felt that death would actually be too merciful after everything he had done. I feel that him being permanently blinded and crippled would have been a more fitting punishment; knocking him completely off the pedestal he put himself on (and who others did before) to below even an average civilian. We saw through him and Madara that most Uchiha treasured their eyes / Sharingan more than anything. They would gladly sacrifice anything and anyone else in its place. It's not "loving too much" that drove them to commit heinous acts like murdering their best friend and tearing out the eyes of family members to evolve their Sharingan; it was power hunger, greed, and fear of losing their power - their sight / eyes - that they did it. Sasuke was no different. He talked big about "justice" for the Uchiha Clan (first against Itachi, then Konoha itself) but it was ALWAYS about the same thing from when he was a child - getting out of Itachi's shadow and proving himself stronger and more powerful than him.

Hinatatas only "stood up to Neji" after Naruto's yelling. Up until that point, she was on the verge of giving up without lifting a finger due to Neji's words alone. She was already disqualified to be a Chunin right from that first match and, as was mentioned a lot by now, it was never a real learning experience for her that could have been used to actually develop her. Just like ALL her "moments", it came off far more as something meant to placate the screaming NHers and make them shut up for a time especially given such moments are NEVER revisited throughout the entire rest of the story or, again, ever used to truly develop her.

And with Sakura, 2 steps forward, 3-4 steps back sadly. All because of the bias of "higher-ups".

2e5.gif

#26991 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 17 January 2019 - 11:24 PM

I don't think you can really put One Punch Man in a fighting game, because once you do, you don't have a game anymore, you just have a winner.

bd5.jpg

#26992 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 02:24 AM

Yep, the pro-enders always try to make up excuses whenever you bring up how Naruto never truly succeeded in any of his goals, including becoming Hokage. Even the very one-shot itself, one of the most important days of Boruto's dad's life, was all about Boruto's dad's spawn rather than Boruto's dad himself.

With Sasuke, I always felt that death would actually be too merciful after everything he had done. I feel that him being permanently blinded and crippled would have been a more fitting punishment; knocking him completely off the pedestal he put himself on (and who others did before) to below even an average civilian. We saw through him and Madara that most Uchiha treasured their eyes / Sharingan more than anything. They would gladly sacrifice anything and anyone else in its place. It's not "loving too much" that drove them to commit heinous acts like murdering their best friend and tearing out the eyes of family members to evolve their Sharingan; it was power hunger, greed, and fear of losing their power - their sight / eyes - that they did it. Sasuke was no different. He talked big about "justice" for the Uchiha Clan (first against Itachi, then Konoha itself) but it was ALWAYS about the same thing from when he was a child - getting out of Itachi's shadow and proving himself stronger and more powerful than him.

Hinatatas only "stood up to Neji" after Naruto's yelling. Up until that point, she was on the verge of giving up without lifting a finger due to Neji's words alone. She was already disqualified to be a Chunin right from that first match and, as was mentioned a lot by now, it was never a real learning experience for her that could have been used to actually develop her. Just like ALL her "moments", it came off far more as something meant to placate the screaming NHers and make them shut up for a time especially given such moments are NEVER revisited throughout the entire rest of the story or, again, ever used to truly develop her.

And with Sakura, 2 steps forward, 3-4 steps back sadly. All because of the bias of "higher-ups".

Boruto's dad, Nardo Scumzamaki did Achieve NARUTO's original dream of being Hokage  but damn is he terrible at it. Letting Orochimaru continuing his experiments etc. He does not Achieve any of Naruto's other goals like world peace or bringing back his "man lover" Sasuke.  I already stated this, but Nardo Scumazaki is the short haired scumbag replacement of the Naruto Uzumaki We've been following for 15 years because SP NEEDED to have their big kittens goddess have the "man of her dreams" even if it means to retcon the entire story and the very character himself. And this is what we get.

As for Sasuke, I don't think punishing him in any way will sit well with the fans and will deprive Kishimoto of sleep. It's what Sasuke deserves yes, I don't deny it. It just won't sit well with the fans and Kishimoto doesn't have the heart to hurt his "poow widdle" creator's pet like that. You see all BS excuses that he gave Sasuke throughout the story to justify Sasuke's actions because he insists Sasuke miust be Naruto's best friend turned evil but they must ALSO be secret "yaoi guys" for each other. And it shows. Sasuke was, and continues to be a self centred a-hole that gives no $!its about anyone but Naruto/Nardo in the end and never matures or takes responsibility for his mistakes. He runs away from them. And every one STILL kisses his butt for it, ESPECIALLY so for the wife and daughter that he continues to neglect and abandon. Not to mention the best friend who is even "more of a fan girl" than any fan girl.

Hinata, Hinata, Hinata. What is there to say about Hinata? Take away her over-glorified crush on the MC Naruto and you have perfectly wasted ink on paper, or she falls in line with the nameless villagers no reader actually cares about. Kishimoto admits it because he does not give her any definable goals of the K11 besides "N-Naruto-kun", When even Ten-Ten was given an aspiration may I add. He gave everyone that courtesy, but Hinata in the end. PLUS SP ADMITS THE SAME THING, because that is the whole reason they needed to make "The Last". To finally have their sex doll be grinded up by her "man candy", A.K.A. their self insert.  Hinata was irrelevant. She will never be anything but an over-hyped trophy wife. I don't need to show proof, the writing REGARDING HER is evidence enough, now and forever more.

Sakura.......... Is wasted potential. It hurts me to say it, but there it is. Why? Because no matter what her character development is, no matter how much she shows growth and maturity, her defining aspect is that she is a PLOT DEVICE for a love triangle. The one aspect that is always forced on her and that she ultimately crawled back to is her "love (you can't even call it that if you ask me) for Sasuke". That was just the excuse that. Any. One. With any authority over the franchise told Kishimoto to fall back on to make Hinata look better. And you know what? Sakura is not even a proper portrayal of the whole "girl wants bad boy" syndrome". How the "wanting the bad boy syndrome" works usually is that girls will be attracted to the bad boy, they may be "LONGING for the bad boy", but they are never tied down to him and take his abuse unless they are already a couple with that "bad boy." Was Sakura a couple with Sasuke for most of the manga? Exactly. Not to mention that no woman with any self respect or or confidence in herself would EVER take abuse from a man just because he's "hot". Sakura IS is self respecting and a confident woman, but Sasuke must be the "sole exception" to her attitude. In contrast, her friendship with Naruto has all the makings of a realistic and healthy romance that does not degrade her character to what her detractors accuse her of, which is being a dependent, useless mess like she is with Sasuke. But Ultimately that is what she had to become to fulfill SP's agenda.

Okay that's it from me for now, Rant over.     

Edited by Phantom_999, 08 March 2019 - 01:06 AM.

#26993 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 18 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

Isn't One-Punch Man a seinen series? Because I could've sworn I saw it somewhere that it isn't shonen.

Yeah, technically, but it is hard to keep saying "It is a seinen" when the manga is published by Shonen Jump, it advertises other Shonen Jump manga (including Boruto) in the volumes at the back pages, and Shonen Jump makes sure you know they own it.

It is basically a Shonen in everything, but name.

To me, it is them basically saying "If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck.....then it must be a goose." The lines have been blurring lately on what constitutes a Shonen in my eyes mostly because Naruto has some pretty graphic and horrible things in the story that I think would push it up to a Seinen level. At times, One Punch Man is more tame than Naruto, I would argue.

I don't know what really distinguishes a Shonen from some Seinen anymore and I could make arguments.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 18 January 2019 - 05:46 PM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#26994 KClaws_2

KClaws_2

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 10:52 AM

It makes me wonder if NaruSaku happened, would the ending have seen the backlash it did? I think so on everything except the couples.

Eh, shippers seem to complain no matter what. Given the fanaticism o the NH fanbase, I'm sure they would have complained and the internet would have blown up on how bad the ending was. 

Perhaps the difference would be that all the plot points aside from the shipping we've been criticizing here would be a hot topic elsewhere (assuming Kishimoto did everything else the same, though I doubt we would have gotten a NS version of the Last, at least not so soon after the ending).

While I don't think it would have the extreme shipping backlash, I think the double standard would still have been loud and and active.

Because Naruto's with Hinata, all those fans have happily forgotten the fact that Naruto didn't succeed at ANY of his goals. It feels like a happy ending to them, even though it really isn't for the characters.

But if he were with Sakura, then all Naruto's failures and shortcomings would just be added to the reasons why Sakura is so wrong for him. Basically, she would be getting blamed for Naruto's failure to bring Sasuke home, failure to see any real punishment and failure to become Kage within the space of the manga. And any of the dumb things Naruto did aftwerwards (with Hinata and Boruto), would obviously be all Sakura's fault because she's a terrible wife/mother/human/shinobi/etc. Then NH fans would just hate Sakura more, imagining how perfect life would have been with an NaruHina ending. I just don't see a way that Sakura wins. Which sucks.

And yeah - the fact that they had to retcon a whole series makes it glaringly obvious how the story should have ended.

Because of these issues in Boruto, some people said it was good NS didn't become canon BECAUSE it would only make our ship look bad. Which is very ironic when considering they're trying to make Hinata a pseudo Sakura, and it seems vice versa for Sakura. 

I remember looking at a Youtube video about "What if Naruto married Sakura?" (Not Kryptonian Sayajin's). In the comments, one claimed that Naruto would be miserable, hate his life and avoid his kids. And one replied:

THAT'S THE CANON ENDING

Sasuke dying would have made sense, sure. At the very least, he should be the most wanted man in the world, Vash the Stampede style. Once you've reached the point where a buncha Kage's are saying "this guy's a major problem, we're going to need to take care of this" you can't really step that back. But I never once thought it would happen.

The writing in Naruto was... I don't necessarily want to say predictable, because if you know enough about stories and how to properly tell them, or if you've even just read enough stories, you can tell where a lot of them are going to go. But it definitely fell into patterns. The manga never really liked to kill anyone, even when it would have made sense, unless the character was unimportant. Even in the case of the latter - someone like Neji - it might pull back, only to do it much later when all the emotional impact it might have had would have been gone. Given how it had been admitted that Sasuke was the favorite character of the author and how the entire manga hinged on "redeeming Sasuke" it was clear even early in Part 2 there was no way he bit the dust. I'd always figured he was going to get a pardon when Naruto became Hokage even if it made no sense for anyone to accept that - I guess it was a curveball that it ended up being Kakashi - though I hadn't guessed the f***ery that would come. I expected about what you'd expect for a happy ending; Naruto becomes Hokage before the end, wins Sakuras heart (probably before the end, but then, Shönen loves to leave pairing stuff for the end), defeats Sasuke and drags him home to answer for what he's done, maybe they make peace, then pardons him or whatever and has him confined to the village under basic house arrest (because even if Konoha pardons him why the hell would the other nations?)

It was a little iffy for me how his redemption was going to play out. In the first half of Part 2, he seemed to be more of an anti-hero than a downright villain, as he was solely focused on Itachi and more often than not took out other villains. It seemed he would only kill any Konoha ninja if they approached him (and it never came to that). That, and it seemed Naruto and Sakura were trying to avoid having to follow the law against nuke-nin. 

Attacking Killer Bee...yeah, he caused problems for Konoha politically. Don't think that alone would have justified the story killing him.

Kage Summit, he should been in jail at least. He definitely killed those Samurai, and he attempted to kill the Kage just to get to Danzo.

And when he did get Danzo, he sacrificed Karin to do it (yeah, she lived, but still). After that he had an episode of temporary insanity where he was about to kill Kakashi and Sakura on a whim. 

I think that was where Kishimoto wrote himself into a corner. He knew he was going to have Naruto and Sasuke fight again, but how was he going to redeem Sasuke through that? Either Naruto would have to truly treat him as an enemy, or Sasuke would have to team up with him to fight off a greater evil to strengthen "their bond". He went with the later, but whether it was due to the pacing of the War Arc or him just not caring, Sasuke still came off as evil at this point. Near the end when he stated he would kill the kage to turn the world against him, realistically there was no saving him. They were trying to play him off as Trieze Kushrenada or Lelouch Vi Britannia, someone who saves the world by creating a horrible tragedy that unites it and goes down as the monster of history. That would have never worked for Sasuke though, as he lacked the charisma of those two and he didn't suffer because of the ninja system, he suffered because his clan his kittened up.

Adding to that the whole mess with the Uchiha history and blaming their aggression on love. Kishimoto was trying to have come off as "it's not their fault". Instead he painted them as a clan that had absolutely no control over their impulses and that every Uchiha born would snap at some point. That's not a sympathetic backstory, that's a justification to kill Sasuke.

Even now, it feels like he doesn't give a damn about anything. He's just there. And by there I mean out there, not in Konoha. Pro-enders have sometimes argued that he either can't come home to see his family or that he didn't want to drag them into his darkness. On the first point, NO. Naruto wondered why he didn't see his family more often, and Ino waved to him fondly like nothing ever happened. Besides, when he is there he's just walking the streets instead of sulking about. Clearly Konoha has no problem with him being there.

As for the second point...should have thought of that BEFORE he decided to have a family. 

Redemption arcs have to be long and hard for characters. They need to realize their mistakes, struggle to make things right and learn to live with the consequences of that which they cannot change. Sasuke did none of them. He just got his arm blown off and called it quits. 

Yeah, technically, but it is hard to keep saying "It is a seinen" when the manga is published by Shonen Jump, it advertises other Shonen Jump manga (including Boruto) in the volumes at the back pages, and Shonen Jump makes sure you know they own it.

It is basically a Shonen in everything, but name.

To me, it is them basically saying "If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and swims like a duck.....then it must be a goose." The lines have been blurring lately on what constitutes a Shonen in my eyes mostly because Naruto has some pretty graphic and horrible things in the story that I think would push it up to a Seinen level. At times, One Punch Man is more tame than Naruto, I would argue.

I don't know what really distinguishes a Shonen from some Seinen anymore and I could make arguments.

Eh, there's a lot of overlap between the two from what I observe. I'm guessing it's context that matters. 

Most shonen aren't THAT violent. When things like limbs get severed it's usually treated as a rare occurrence, and how graphic the damage is can be minimized. Seinen seems to take it to another level on purpose. The violence in shonen might push the boundries at times, but it doesn't normalize it. Seinen seems to do so and use that to show how dark their show is.

If there's fanservice, in shonen it's usually obscured to a degree, with little mention of direct sex. Again, Seinen seems to be more graphic in this regard, often showing as close to full nudity as possible and showing intimate scenes.

Again, this is the general trend I tend to see between the two, but as with anything many authors will push the boundaries when they can. I acknowledge I could be very wrong and there is probably lots of manga that would show otherwise.

In the case of One Punch Man, I think it's because it makes fun of the tropes of shonen and I guess they think it requires a mature audience to get it. Just my opinion.

#26995 Phantom_999

Phantom_999

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,982 posts

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:52 PM

Eh, shippers seem to complain no matter what. Given the fanaticism o the NH fanbase, I'm sure they would have complained and the internet would have blown up on how bad the ending was. 

Perhaps the difference would be that all the plot points aside from the shipping we've been criticizing here would be a hot topic elsewhere (assuming Kishimoto did everything else the same, though I doubt we would have gotten a NS version of the Last, at least not so soon after the ending).

Because of these issues in Boruto, some people said it was good NS didn't become canon BECAUSE it would only make our ship look bad. Which is very ironic when considering they're trying to make Hinata a pseudo Sakura, and it seems vice versa for Sakura. 

I remember looking at a Youtube video about "What if Naruto married Sakura?" (Not Kryptonian Sayajin's). In the comments, one claimed that Naruto would be miserable, hate his life and avoid his kids. And one replied:

THAT'S THE CANON ENDING

It was a little iffy for me how his redemption was going to play out. In the first half of Part 2, he seemed to be more of an anti-hero than a downright villain, as he was solely focused on Itachi and more often than not took out other villains. It seemed he would only kill any Konoha ninja if they approached him (and it never came to that). That, and it seemed Naruto and Sakura were trying to avoid having to follow the law against nuke-nin. 

Attacking Killer Bee...yeah, he caused problems for Konoha politically. Don't think that alone would have justified the story killing him.

Kage Summit, he should been in jail at least. He definitely killed those Samurai, and he attempted to kill the Kage just to get to Danzo.

And when he did get Danzo, he sacrificed Karin to do it (yeah, she lived, but still). After that he had an episode of temporary insanity where he was about to kill Kakashi and Sakura on a whim. 

I think that was where Kishimoto wrote himself into a corner. He knew he was going to have Naruto and Sasuke fight again, but how was he going to redeem Sasuke through that? Either Naruto would have to truly treat him as an enemy, or Sasuke would have to team up with him to fight off a greater evil to strengthen "their bond". He went with the later, but whether it was due to the pacing of the War Arc or him just not caring, Sasuke still came off as evil at this point. Near the end when he stated he would kill the kage to turn the world against him, realistically there was no saving him. They were trying to play him off as Trieze Kushrenada or Lelouch Vi Britannia, someone who saves the world by creating a horrible tragedy that unites it and goes down as the monster of history. That would have never worked for Sasuke though, as he lacked the charisma of those two and he didn't suffer because of the ninja system, he suffered because his clan his kittened up.

Adding to that the whole mess with the Uchiha history and blaming their aggression on love. Kishimoto was trying to have come off as "it's not their fault". Instead he painted them as a clan that had absolutely no control over their impulses and that every Uchiha born would snap at some point. That's not a sympathetic backstory, that's a justification to kill Sasuke.

Even now, it feels like he doesn't give a damn about anything. He's just there. And by there I mean out there, not in Konoha. Pro-enders have sometimes argued that he either can't come home to see his family or that he didn't want to drag them into his darkness. On the first point, NO. Naruto wondered why he didn't see his family more often, and Ino waved to him fondly like nothing ever happened. Besides, when he is there he's just walking the streets instead of sulking about. Clearly Konoha has no problem with him being there.

As for the second point...should have thought of that BEFORE he decided to have a family. 

Redemption arcs have to be long and hard for characters. They need to realize their mistakes, struggle to make things right and learn to live with the consequences of that which they cannot change. Sasuke did none of them. He just got his arm blown off and called it quits. 

Eh, there's a lot of overlap between the two from what I observe. I'm guessing it's context that matters. 

Most shonen aren't THAT violent. When things like limbs get severed it's usually treated as a rare occurrence, and how graphic the damage is can be minimized. Seinen seems to take it to another level on purpose. The violence in shonen might push the boundries at times, but it doesn't normalize it. Seinen seems to do so and use that to show how dark their show is.

If there's fanservice, in shonen it's usually obscured to a degree, with little mention of direct sex. Again, Seinen seems to be more graphic in this regard, often showing as close to full nudity as possible and showing intimate scenes.

Again, this is the general trend I tend to see between the two, but as with anything many authors will push the boundaries when they can. I acknowledge I could be very wrong and there is probably lots of manga that would show otherwise.

In the case of One Punch Man, I think it's because it makes fun of the tropes of shonen and I guess they think it requires a mature audience to get it. Just my opinion.

1. EXACTLY. These Hypocrites actually enjoy justifying  how NH are perfect for each other and ignore how their marriage is a mess and stay together more out of obligation than genuine affection for each other but have the audacity to state Naruto would be miserable with Sakura and hate his life when they TRY to make Hinata a copy and paste of Sakura's tsundere attitude. Boruto must be scared kittenless of his mother and she throws out father and son when they make a racket while she is trying to comfort and help her daughter recover? Apparently that is perfectly acceptable behavior for Hinata, but it makes Sakura a stone cold ball-buster to anyone that is not her "SASUKE-KUN!!!!!!!" And on that note, they DID give Sakura "Hinata fainting spells" because she can't bear to look at Sasuke's "hawtness"  :roll: So honestly no one that supports or pushed for these pairings have any right to talk about how horrible Naruto and Sakura would be together when they switcharoo Sakura and Hinata's personality dynamics to "suit their preference".

2. YUP the main problem with Sasuke's "redemption" if you can even call it that, is that he is a walking self-contradiction of "former friend turned evil" but must be sympathetic because he's Naruto's non-blood brother and "sexy boyfriend" and they must be BFF again, no matter how selfish and self-entitled Sasuke has become. And the main problem besides Sasuke lacking charisma or sympathetic traits, is that his attempts to redeem himself are incredibly half-assed and half- hearted. He shows no remorse, and he shows no attempts to do right by the new family he made. he is still the "I don't give two craps about anyone", lone wolf that he always was and even tried to kill his daughter because he did not recognize or nor cared about her when they "first met". He Wasn't even there when his daughter was born. By comparison, Kratos from God of War PS4 show INFINITELY more effort to improve himself from the irredeemable douche-bag that he was in the Greek era. He genuinely loves his current son Artreus and tries to rein in his temper and tendency to brutally slaughter anyone that slights him at the drop of a hat. There was thought and effort put into his redemption arc, but I can't say the same for Sasuke.

3. I would agree, but truth be told I do see some pretty messed up violence in some shonen categories too. Hunter X Hunter really pushes its boundaries there and some genuine horror stories that publish in Shonen magazines seem indistinguishable from Seinen. Have you ever heard of or read "Deadtube" for instance, or "Magical Girl Apocalypse"? Those are classified as Shonen, even though the messed up content would make you think otherwise. As for the second reason for the distinction....... Well there may not be actual "hanky-panky" per say in shonen series but I'll be honest, some fan service heavy series again push that boundary with the "kinky" content that you are given which there would be no technical difference. Some pretty damn blatant examples are "To~Love~Ru" and "Yuuna of the Haunted Hot spring". There are other examples I can't remember at the moment but the point is, that those two really push the boundaries of what is or not considered adult content because man is the fan service blatant, nonsensical, and pointless to such a degree that you are feeling like it is "hentai material". That is just my opinion though  

Edited by Phantom_999, 20 April 2019 - 02:51 AM.

#26996 ultranx

ultranx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:DBZ, naruto, pokemon, digimon, one piece, megaman, sonic, legend of zelda, yugioh,gurren lagann, transformers, kingdom hearts, yuyu hakusho, sword art online, tmnt, gundam.

Posted 21 January 2019 - 01:22 AM

or vegeta blue lol

also offtopic, anyone seen the new pokemon episodes yet this year? team rocket made a meowth mech that was a parody of the dark gundam from g gundam lol brock even did a parody of the sekiha love love tenkyoken lol. I posted pics and videos of it in the pokemon thread. I think it was pokemon's way of subtlely  advertising g gundam since g gundam had a hd remastered dvd bluray rerelease last month and this month. once I found out after reading an article about the episode, I used my birthday money to get it on dvd xD been wanting to for a while but the old dvds were so overpriced on amazon xD.

Edited by ultranx, 21 January 2019 - 01:33 AM.

tumblr_mba4mg4Ip61ryf7dio1_r1_500.gif

#26997 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:47 AM

3. I would agree, but truth be told I do see some pretty messed up violence in some shonen categories too. Hunter X Hunter really pushes its boundaries there and some genuine horror stories that seem indistinguishable from Seinen. Have you ever heard of or read "Deadtube" for instance or "Magical Girl Apocalypse"? Those are classified as Shonen, even though the messed up content would make you think otherwise. As for the second reason for the distinction....... Well there may not be actual "hanky-panky" per say in shonen series but I'll be honest, some fan service heavy series again push that boundary with the "kinky" content that you are given which there would be no technical difference. Some pretty damn blatant examples are "To~Love~Ru" and "Yuuna of the Haunted Hot spring". There are other examples I can't remember at the moment but the point is, that those two really push the boundaries of what is or not considered adult content because man is the fan service blatant, nonsensical, and pointless to such a degree that you are feeling like it is hentai material. That is just my opinion though  

That is what I am saying as well.
Naruto has literal heart ripping, religious sacrifice, eye ripping, and some other pretty hardcore stuff. I'd argue more violent than OPM has. That is why I say the lines are blurring. Especially all the examples you give.

Plus, it seems rather odd to put Shonen advertisements in a Seinen comic. That's like getting a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse advertisement in a Spider-Man comic book all because they are both Disney.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#26998 Derock

Derock

H&E Interpol Agent

• Kage
  • 8,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games (fighting), NaruSaku, Naruto, Sonic, Street Fighter, DOA, Darkstalkers, Tekken, computers, MHA

Posted 21 January 2019 - 03:21 AM

That is what I am saying as well.
Naruto has literal heart ripping, religious sacrifice, eye ripping, and some other pretty hardcore stuff. I'd argue more violent than OPM has. That is why I say the lines are blurring. Especially all the examples you give.

Plus, it seems rather odd to put Shonen advertisements in a Seinen comic. That's like getting a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse advertisement in a Spider-Man comic book all because they are both Disney.

Problem with the argument is that it applied to the manga only. Most fans head towards the anime were its "tamed", so to speak.  There was a lot of stuff (scenes, character gestures, etc,) that were edited because its was considered as a "teens" demographic show. Though Naruto isn't nowhere near the intense graphic seinen like Berserk.

latest?cb=20140126021943

What's Happening with the Naruto series as of now!

#26999 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 21 January 2019 - 02:58 PM

Problem with the argument is that it applied to the manga only. Most fans head towards the anime were its "tamed", so to speak.  There was a lot of stuff (scenes, character gestures, etc,) that were edited because its was considered as a "teens" demographic show. Though Naruto isn't nowhere near the intense graphic seinen like Berserk.

It depends on where the anime/manga was being pushed. For example, in Germany they edited A LOT out like blood taken out, Zabuza sword being erased completely, and such. Interestingly, blood and violence in Europe is frowned upon, but sex is okay. Like some kids shows will have girls in thongs. It is crazy. You ever see that simpsons episode where they were in Belize I think and Bart turns on the tv and Marge did a girl in a skimpy outfit and was like "Bart, watch a kid's show." Bart says "This is a kid's show" with the skimpy clad girl on giant blocks of ABC. Yeah, that is surprisingly accurate.

Censorship is weird around the world.

Anyway, I don't think One Punch Man is on the level of Berserk, plus Berserk isn't published by Shonen Jump, but Hakusensha, Inc. and Dark Horse although they do do Astro Boy.

I don't know. It's weird logic.
I really think the main reason why Saitama is not in it is mostly because he is OP and would one shot all the characters in the game making the game not fun. Maybe it would have been better if it was Genos fighting and Saitam was just part of a super finisher move. I mean, Saitama can pull back on punches. It could have been slightly comical to have Genos knock someone into Saitama who just bumps into them knocking them away and taking damage.

I guess I am one of the few people who actually like playing over-powered characters that can one shot. To me, it is fun.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 21 January 2019 - 03:03 PM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#27000 ultranx

ultranx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:DBZ, naruto, pokemon, digimon, one piece, megaman, sonic, legend of zelda, yugioh,gurren lagann, transformers, kingdom hearts, yuyu hakusho, sword art online, tmnt, gundam.

Posted 22 January 2019 - 04:48 AM

I guess I am one of the few people who actually like playing over-powered characters that can one shot. To me, it is fun.

plenty of characters like that in xenoverse 2. ssj4 vegeta's final shine attack, baby vegeta's revenge death ball, db super full power super saiyan broly's gigantic roar, ultra instinct goku's godly display, jiren's power rush, etc, mostly because their ultimate moves are op oneshot moves. gigantic roar, broly's move, can do up to 30k damage if you're at critical health and have all stat boosts possible, which is insane. I think the main problem with anime games these days is they're listening too much to fans who want pvp to the point they balance and nerf moves so none of them can do that anymore. last I checked, people play anime games for the anime, not for competitive, unless its something like fighterz. but they don't need to make every anime game like fighterz. there are plenty of people that don't even like pvp and only play offline and just want to enjoy the story and characters of the anime in a game.

tumblr_mba4mg4Ip61ryf7dio1_r1_500.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: naruto, wtf, discuss

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users