2 replies to this topic

#1 Dalton.T.R

Dalton.T.R

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 02:58 AM

The idea of this thread is to tell people what you're...not particularly good at, or out of practice when writing a story. Whether is be a fanfic or a book you're writing yourself. Hopefully someone who is 'strong' where you are 'weak' will post something to help you out or give you some advice to follow.

What are your strengths and weaknesses when writing? Plot advancement? Character 'body language' (as in characters interacting with the world around them) romance? Horror? Action? Etc

I'll start off

I'll admit. Even though I posted that thread to help new writers out, I still have a lot to learn. I'd say my greatest weakness in writing is characters interacting with their environments, or 'character body language'. I just can't get the hang of it. I don't think I'm particularly bad at it, but I could still improve it a little.

My strength, however, would probably be plot advancement and/or action writing. I've always found those to be some of the easiest things in writing a story...romance could probably go in that mix as well. A little embarrassing to admit that, considering I'm a guy :sweatdrop:  lol

#2 Codus N

Codus N

Highandnow

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,119 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 02:23 PM

Me, it's my lack of vocabulary. I know how I want my stories to go but translating it into words is a whole different matter. I often find myself struggling to search for the right words to perfectly describe a certain passage.  

248793.jpg

The family that couldn't be.

[post='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EItApJttbY']An Underrated Song Worth Listening[/post]

#3 Greed-Sama

Greed-Sama

The Last Man

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:07 AM

I'll start off

I'll admit. Even though I posted that thread to help new writers out, I still have a lot to learn. I'd say my greatest weakness in writing is characters interacting with their environments, or 'character body language'. I just can't get the hang of it. I don't think I'm particularly bad at it, but I could still improve it a little.

My strength, however, would probably be plot advancement and/or action writing. I've always found those to be some of the easiest things in writing a story...romance could probably go in that mix as well. A little embarrassing to admit that, considering I'm a guy :sweatdrop:  lol

Only about 20% of communication is verbal. The other is non-verbal. Meaning body language. A woman sitting outside of her husband's hospital room, fidgeting with her wedding ring tells ten times the story that, "I don't know if I can be with him anymore," ever will. 

My strengths: Dialogue. Pacing. Nothing drives me more insane then stories that continue to drag on and on at a particular spot. 

My weakness: Character diversification. I have this insistent need to make characters very proactive. It can be hard to get in the mindset of people who don't want to take action and just sit around whining all day. 

75b28593-b271-4fcc-ab30-b8457d3f9708_zps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users