#61 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:02 AM

QUOTE (harry4e @ Mar 16 2012, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You must be really pissed off with most fics, as some of those are the most commonly used in fics.

And I like the 'Hn' part for Sasuke I tend to randomly make us what that particular grunt meant, I've read a few where The auther has used the grunts in such a way, always amusing to read. and Sasuke did use the Hn quite a bit in the manga didn't he?

But best is Chocobo Butt from Gravenimage in his ffxiii crossover fic.

Hahahah I see that you've been reading my story. laugh.gif
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#62 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:16 AM

QUOTE (JoHamSandwich @ Mar 16 2012, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Honestly, I preferred duck-butt to describe Sasuke's hair. laugh.gif

No, it's "sexy like a duck's butt."

#63 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts
  • Interests:lol git

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:51 AM

I dont really mind those adjectives.

#64 AchikaMiyu

AchikaMiyu

Underpants Gnome

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:38 PM

Overused and misused adjectives are like over-icing a cake. You don't want just a plain cake, but at the same time, you don't want to put too much icing on the cake that when you take a bite out of it, all you taste is sugar. There's definitely a fine balance and I commend beginning writers for trying. But when they go overboard and don't realize it, it's really hard to read those stories without simply skimming through most of the text just to get to the point.

Also, I'm convinced that there are some authors who post stories out there to troll people. They're purposefully bad and controversial so they can get some form of attention. Those reviewers that like to troll stories should mainly concentrate their efforts of those stories. It would make a great fit.
End of line.

#65 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

QUOTE (Gravenimage @ Mar 17 2012, 02:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hahahah I see that you've been reading my story. laugh.gif

Yeah just started reading this week, almost caught up with it, it's a loooong fic so it took a while. Good fic, I don't even ind the likeable Sasuke.

Couple of other pet peeves.

First is when Naruto scraps his mothers name and decides to go by Namakaze soon as he finds out who his father is, completely forgetting his mothers family name, which would be fine if not for the fact the Uzumaki clan is why he is so strong, his chakra levels, abilty to be a Jinchuriki host, his determination, pretty much most of what he is is because of the Uzumaki blood.

Another one is when Naruto is described as 'a Carbon Copy of Minato' with the exception of hair and eye colour the two look quite different and it's been confirmed that his facial features is from his mother side, which also explains why he looks so much like Tsunade's younger brother. He is a perfect mix of the two...damn you writers for ignoring Kushina-sama!!!! lol

These two didn't bug me much before but ever since the parents were revealed and we've found out Naruto is a mix of both sides, just ticks me off when his mother is relegated as nothing more than someone who gave birth to him.

iAnby7W.gif

#66 Guest_Kim_*

Guest_Kim_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

QUOTE (AchikaMiyu @ Mar 17 2012, 01:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, I'm convinced that there are some authors who post stories out there to troll people. They're purposefully bad and controversial so they can get some form of attention. Those reviewers that like to troll stories should mainly concentrate their efforts of those stories. It would make a great fit.

Do people really do that? huh.gif

First is when Naruto scraps his mothers name and decides to go by Namakaze soon as he finds out who his father is, completely forgetting his mothers family name, which would be fine if not for the fact the Uzumaki clan is why he is so strong, his chakra levels, abilty to be a Jinchuriki host, his determination, pretty much most of what he is is because of the Uzumaki blood.

I don't even have that much of a problem with that if it happens during the course of the story. What I don't like is when the author calls him Namikaze from the beginning, without any explanation.

#67 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 06:53 PM

QUOTE (Kim @ Mar 18 2012, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't even have that much of a problem with that if it happens during the course of the story. What I don't like is when the author calls him Namikaze from the beginning, without any explanation.

I know that was popular when nothing much was known about his mother's side. Is it still that common?

#68 JoHamSandwich

JoHamSandwich

Professional Excrement Initiator.

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,141 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Mar 18 2012, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know that was popular when nothing much was known about his mother's side. Is it still that common?

Yea I've seen those around new stories. Annoys the crap out of me.

#69 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:14 PM

QUOTE (Kim @ Mar 18 2012, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Two words: "Suddenly, Vegeta!"

(if you don't get it, see this fic which appeared on the fic listing thread a while back: http://www.fanfictio...849886/1/Naruto )

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#70 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

QUOTE (harry4e @ Mar 17 2012, 05:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agreed, I have some reviewers ask me why I haven't refereed to Naruto as Namikaze since he knows who his father was. To me he will always be an Uzumaki, just because he learns his fathers last name doesn't mean Naruto should use it. If in the manga he decided to then fine more power to him, but I wont go out of my way to change his name. Nor will I refer to him as Naruto Uzumaki Namikaze.

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

#71 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

Re: Namikaze, I think a lot of fanfic writers in the Naruto fandom don't recognize that in a large percentage of Japanese marriages, the family name adopted is the wife's name, so once Naruto learns of his father's name, they think he should return to the "correct" family name (as per Western perspective) belonging to the father.

Just to explain the mindset -- not that I agree with it.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#72 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:13 AM

Peeves that turns off fanfics for me would be:

- Overpowered OC: Ok, Gary-stu or Mary-sue is an instant turn off for me, even if it happens to the main character (Naruto, Ichigo, or even Shinji "Whuss ass" Ikari) but when it happens to OC, it just doesn't make a damn sense to me.

- Dumb naming: Ok, this happens mostly in Anime/Manga section... especially Naruto. when the premise is Japanese I want the original characters to AT LEAST have japanese sounding name. it just kills me when the other characters are named: Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura then out of nowhere comes Brian/Jack/Daniel/Andrew. STOP THAT!!! One more thing that also qualify in this section: No creativity in naming. Female version Naruto, just name her Naruko... GET A DAMN CREATIVITY GOING!!! There a damn kittenload of names to go with, popular ones: Kasumi, Kimiko, or even Natsuki.

- Misspell on characters/location: I know typos happens and I can live with that if they are few enough, sure I might prob poke and prod on the author to tell them about it and hopefully have them fixed but if they aren't no biggie for me. But when the same happens over and over in one single chapter, I just can't stomach it (Konoha > Kohona, Jutsu > Jitsu, Evangelion > Evangleion, or god forbid Tokyo > Kyoto... the last 2 cities aren't even close to each other physically.... etc) it just makes me think that the author doesn't even try.

- Dumb Crossover: I can handle crossovers if they are done well or at least have something in common (Naruto/Bleach, overused but its ok. Naruto/Teen Titans, harder to mix but can work. Evangelion/Halo/Metroid, plausible if the author know what they are doing.) but ones that just ridiculous just makes me sick (Evangelion/Naruto? Harry Potter/Halo? or god forbid, Naruto/Power Rangers.... the only thing I can say is wtf.)

Edited by BlackLightning, 19 March 2012 - 03:15 PM.

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#73 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:36 PM

Fics that move their narrative at a slow pace.

#74 The Tax-Man

The Tax-Man

Sapien Chronologia

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (Dragunov @ Mar 19 2012, 05:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Fics that move their narrative at a slow pace.

What exactly do you mean? I've NEVER seen one like that. If anything, most fics move too fast.

naruto.gif

1. "This is worthless NONSENSE."
2. "This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view..."
3. "True, but quite unimportant."
4. "I ALWAYS SAID SO!"

#75 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (The Tax-Man @ Mar 19 2012, 05:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What exactly do you mean? I've NEVER seen one like that. If anything, most fics move too fast.

They stop at one moment or one instance to over explain details, and there is no excitement.

#76 ramenanmitsu

ramenanmitsu

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,414 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

When Sakura and Naruto kiss each other in public multiple times. That's just I don't know....Western? It's as weird as reading fic that has Naruto's kid named Johnny.

The only exception is, if Naruto has been in a long mission, never came back, and people believed he was dead but at last he came back and they kissed each other at the first sight. But even then, the scene needs to have both of them being embarrassed when they realize they just kissed in public.

I also don't like fics that has hugging between friends of the opposite sex. That's just unusual in Japan.
268702-181926-kaworu-nagisa.jpg

#77 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE (Nate River @ Mar 18 2012, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

As popular as ever, worst still some stories I've read all but ignore the Uzumaki clan background and make up a superpowered background for Namikaze, even though the Uzumaki clan history has already given plenty of detail to make Naruto powerful, I mean Rinnigan, ability to hold down the Kyuubi, long lifespan, High Chakra levels (Kushina said her chakra was special even amongst her clan, suggesting that the average Uzumaki must have above average Chakra level) and high knowledge of Fuinjutsu. And you know they've chosen to ignore as they add the fact that Kushina was the previous host.

QUOTE (BlackLightning @ Mar 19 2012, 11:13 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peeves that turns off fanfics for me would be:

- Overpowered OC: Ok, Gary-stu or Mary-sue is an instant turn off for me, even if it happens to the main character (Naruto, Ichigo, or even Shinji "Whuss ass" Ikari) but when it happens to OC, it just doesn't make a damn sense to me.

- Dumb naming: Ok, this happens mostly in Anime/Manga section... especially Naruto. when the premise is Japanese I want the original characters to AT LEAST have japanese sounding name. it just kills me when the other characters are named: Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura then out of nowhere comes Brian/Jack/Daniel/Andrew. STOP THAT!!! One more thing that also qualify in this section: No creativity in naming. Female version Naruto, just name her Naruko... GET A DAMN CREATIVITY GOING!!! There a damn kittenload of names to go with, popular ones: Kasumi, Kimiko, or even Natsuki.

- Misspell on characters/location: I know typos happens and I can live with that if they are few enough, sure I might prob poke and prod on the author to tell them about it and hopefully have them fixed but if they aren't no biggie for me. But when the same happens over and over in one single chapter, I just can't stomach it (Konoha > Kohona, Jutsu > Jitsu, Evangelion > Evangleion, or god forbid Tokyo > Kyoto... the last 2 cities aren't even close to each other physically.... etc) it just makes me think that the author doesn't even try.

- Dumb Crossover: I can handle crossovers if they are done well or at least have something in common (Naruto/Bleach, overused but its ok. Naruto/Teen Titans, harder to mix but can work. Evangelion/Halo/Metroid, plausible if the author know what they are doing.) but ones that just ridiculous just makes me sick (Evangelion/Naruto? Harry Potter/Halo? or god forbid, Naruto/Power Rangers.... the only thing I can say is wtf.)

Yeah agree with most of those, Overpowered Stu's are a bain of all Fanfic readers existence, they are often over powered, have a crappy name, and end up overtaking the main charactors role in the fic, and spend all their time pointing out other canon charactors flaw.

Dumb naming another good point, I can't argue about Naruko as FF.net have actually added a filter for that name so I can't blame someone if they decide to go for that name, as it's been unofficially canoned, But giving them English names or Spanish or other foreign names hoping no one would pick up on lack of creativity puts me off the fic.

Missplelt charactors/locations is something I can understand but at the same time I also am more forgiving with, as I suffer from a mild case of dyslexia, and often get words all mumbled up, and make spelling mistakes even though I know the spelling, and if I make those mistakes I can't exactly get angry at others for messing, now if there are constant spelling mistakes, where it becomes apparent that the person has not read their own work or had someone read it for them then that is a different matter.

Dumb Crossovers? Well I tend to avoid them in most cases, but I know what you mean, There are a K-on/Naruto crossover fics out there, I think there is one where Mio is Sasuke's and Sakura's child lost child, my first thought was, Atleast make it Sasuke/Hinata's Daughter, Mio not only looks like Hinata, with her looks figure, hairstyle and hair colour, she also has the same personality. I mean on what planet does the super ninja power of Naruto mix well with the super Moe world of K-on? One fight evils of the world, the other tries to work up the motivation to stop drinking their tea and get in some band practice, it doesn't mix Full stop.

iAnby7W.gif

#78 tricksie

tricksie

Legendary Ninja

• ANBU
  • 3,655 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

fangirl.

Hate the term. Hate it when characters use it. Hate it when Sakura uses it to describe herself.

It doesn't matter if it's true in the context of the story. If the author wants to show Sakura has moved on from her previous phase, then they should write her behaving more securely, and looking back with a bit of regret. That carries the point across much better than "Oh I was such a fangirl!"

(I don't mind the term so much when use on forums or in silly reference to something. But in stories, that meta language should be off limits.)

#79 Paradox Jast

Paradox Jast

Is just a pretty face. Really.

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 842 posts
  • Interests:Naruto, Bleach, Samurai Deeper Kyo, Negima! (to name a couple). World of Warcraft. The Old Republic. Steam. Writing Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction. Reading Naruto and Harry Potter fanfiction.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:25 AM

Unfortunately I think the term 'fangirl' has been too ingrained into the Naruto fanfiction culture for it to go away now.

- I don't like it when there aren't proper scene breaks, or if a scene change doesn't really make sense.

- defiantly vs definitely. HATE HATE HATE HATE

- Starting paragraphs with characters names, over and over. So that looking down the left margin looks like you're reading names off a list. This is especially bad for those of us with widescreen res. (1920x1080 for me)

- Having Guy and Lee talk in caps, everywhere, all the time.

Then as for general fanfiction, I generally don't like 'modernized' fics. Where people come from all sorts of fantastical stories and try to make it in the modern world. I mean, perhaps there may be some good ones out there, but for the most part, the few that I have read were just so blegh that it has turned me off to them.

Otherwise I think most other posts have pretty accurately listed a lot of the things that make me wary about reading fics. I'll often go to an authors profile page and see what they have there too, to see if they have written anything else, and if so what kind of reviews they have gotten.

Though I have to be honest, only about half of the time (if that) does the review count accurately reflect the quality of a fic. I've always found it somewhat amusing, the people that read my fics are often like 'Why don't you have more reviews? This is great!', but I've given up trying to figure it out. I remember when I first started writing I got a bit ticked about it, but now, I just think of it more like a bonus. I often get great ideas from chatting with reviewers too.

#80 Dragunov

Dragunov

Examiner

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:26 AM

Too much description usually turns me away from a fanfic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users