• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#41 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:32 AM

Why does everyone besides me hate 1990's Zilla? :l

#42 neoshadow

neoshadow

Chakra Water Walker

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:42 AM

Why does everyone besides me hate 1990's Zilla? :l

I don't hate the design of it, I do think Toho Godzilla is superior and I'm glad to see they're pretty much replicating it for 2014 but as a piece of design Zilla is cool too.

But unfortunately a good design doesn't save a pretty bad movie, really did they have to strip all its powers away from it? Its just a giant lizard, it's why it has the nickname Zilla because they took the God out of it.

#43 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

I found the lack of powers cool; the powers Godzilla in Japan had were cheesy and stupid to me.

#44 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

If you can't say something nice....

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Stuff

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:12 AM

I can't help but feel nervous about this, I still remember the last time Hollywood got its hands on Godzilla, but this does look much much more promising. The tone is looking really good and I wonder if it will retain the original movies anti-nuclear message or if it will be updated to something that's maybe a little more relevant.

You might forget the larger message that is Godzilla, that he is what happens when the arrogance of man grows too large.  So, while there may be some anti-nuclear warfare in there, the overall message is highlighted with Serizawa's monologue in the trailer, "The arrogance of man is thinking nature is in our control...and not the other way around," and the fact that, in this reboot, Godzilla was awakened in 1954 and those nuclear tests were attempts to kill him....which is actually freakishly more frightening. The US knew about Godzilla for a looonnnggg time and kept it secret.

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 27 February 2014 - 04:24 AM.

#45 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 05:33 AM

I can't help but feel nervous about this, I still remember the last time Hollywood got its hands on Godzilla, but this does look much much more promising. The tone is looking really good and I wonder if it will retain the original movies anti-nuclear message or if it will be updated to something that's maybe a little more relevant.

Speaking of the original I noticed the mention of 1954 which is obviously the year the original movie was released and took place in, combined with Ken Watanabe's character being called Daisuke Serizawa (also the name of the doctor in the original) is this new film a sequel to the original or a remake or are they nothing more than tips of the hat to the franchise?

Also I sort of agree with chouzu_tao about the roar but I'm not sure if some of it is the music in the background throwing it off because I remember the teaser trailer having a roar pretty similar to his iconic one.

I think it is its own universe with the events taking place in 1954 simply being an homage to the original.

I really feel from this recent trailer that they are approaching this with respect to the original, taking the source material seriously. 

I found the lack of powers cool; the powers Godzilla in Japan had were cheesy and stupid to me.

The powers were what made Godzilla different from a regular dinosaur. For this reason it is aptly named GINO. The creature design is cool but as neoshadow mentions the film itself is really bad.

You might forget the larger message that is Godzilla, that he is what happens when the arrogance of man grows too large.  So, while there may be some anti-nuclear warfare in there, the overall message is highlighted with Serizawa's monologue in the trailer, "The arrogance of man is thinking nature is in our control...and not the other way around," and the fact that, in this reboot, Godzilla was awakened in 1954 and those nuclear tests were attempts to kill him....which is actually freakishly more frightening. The US knew about Godzilla for a looonnnggg time and kept it secret.

I agree about the attempts to kill him with nuclear tests being terrifying! 

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#46 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts
  • Interests:Hanging with friends, playing video games, watching anime

Posted 27 February 2014 - 09:44 AM

I think it's quite nice they're making use of the original film's nuclear testing origins, and perhaps this one will fit within the Godzilla universe or perhaps tie into the original 54 film, and seriously? They were trying to kill Godzilla with nukes? Don't they know nukes only either piss him off or in some cases make him stronger. I remember from the IDW comics, they tried nuking Godzilla and he ended up surviving with no damage and the nuke gave him his atomic breath.

Also, a nice close up of Bear Goji from the new trailer:

Legendary_Godzilla.png

phenomenal_one_banner_by_denizlispor-d5h

"They don't want none"

#47 CloudMountainJuror

CloudMountainJuror

Zac the CMJ

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,726 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:12 AM

I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to this. It's looking like it could end up being great.

"The time has come at last for you to learn everything . . .

Fare thee well, Albert, my friend."

AboojTi.gif

#48 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 01 March 2014 - 03:16 PM

I'm looking real forward to the performances in this movie, too. Aaron Taylor-Johnson was great in Kick-Ass so I expect him to be just as good or better here. Also, Elizabeth Olsen is another great actress who will be in there. If you are wondering about her film work you should check out Martha Marcy May Marlene.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#49 Enkai

Enkai

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:I like watching anime, reading manga, and watching TV shows.
    I also enjoy watching/playing football(soccer) and playing video games. I like coding and software development too, as well as having a interest in technology. Oh how can I forget drawing! Although I don't really do it as much now, used to love it as a kid.

Posted 20 March 2014 - 10:37 AM

Here's another one, International trailer that came out on the 18th.

Ahh, just too hyped now! I really can't wait to watch this  :D

10wnpqp.jpg

#50 Enkai

Enkai

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts
  • Interests:I like watching anime, reading manga, and watching TV shows.
    I also enjoy watching/playing football(soccer) and playing video games. I like coding and software development too, as well as having a interest in technology. Oh how can I forget drawing! Although I don't really do it as much now, used to love it as a kid.

Posted 08 April 2014 - 06:53 PM

Another trailer, this time the extended version. Only thing I can criticize is the ending of the trailer where it shows Godzilla's face, looks a bit weird to me.  :mellow:  Other than that though absolutely crazy looking trailer!

10wnpqp.jpg

#51 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 01:19 AM

Seriously... the hype might kill it for me now... but man, what a trailer. Even if Ol' Goji-san is a fatso.

"Let them fight." Set chills down my spine!

Edited by chouzu_tao, 30 April 2014 - 01:22 AM.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#52 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 03:44 AM

You know, it's weird, but, compared to toys, models, and other pics, the movie scenes from the trailers don't really show him as being fat.  Even when viewing that other trailer where he roars at the sky, he doesn't seem that fat.  'Sides, Heisei Goji was pretty chubby, as well....

#53 chouzu_tao

chouzu_tao

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 12:44 PM

Yeah, I agree. The toys probably make him fatter, but from what I've seen in the trailers, especially the golden gate scene where jets are firing on him, it looks like his trunk is modeled after a bear, and I think the fact that his head is much smaller than his neck doesn't help. And while the gills explain how he breaths underwater... I'm not a fan of how it looks on him. Nitpicks, but I think they're getting the tone really right for the film. Again, I hope the hype and promise of the trailers doesn't kill the film for me.

ChouzuGoCrazy.jpg

#54 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 10:08 AM

You gotta remember Godzilla is endorsed by Snickers, so he probably ate too many of them and that's why he looks fat. xD

"They don't want none"

#55 shadow_Uzumaki

shadow_Uzumaki

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 11:05 AM

Yeah, I agree. The toys probably make him fatter, but from what I've seen in the trailers, especially the golden gate scene where jets are firing on him, it looks like his trunk is modeled after a bear, and I think the fact that his head is much smaller than his neck doesn't help. And while the gills explain how he breaths underwater... I'm not a fan of how it looks on him. Nitpicks, but I think they're getting the tone really right for the film. Again, I hope the hype and promise of the trailers doesn't kill the film for me.

You'd be correct on the bear imagery, they looked at a lot of animals to figure out how to create him and, yes, one of them are bears.  They also had some eagle on his face.  Which makes sense, 'cause the original suit actor studied bears for movement in the 1954 movie.

Quite funnily enough, a lot of Japanese are saying the same thing, "He's so chubbbyyy!" XD

Edited by shadow_Uzumaki, 03 May 2014 - 11:08 AM.

#56 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

I'm really hoping this movie is a success. It's time for a god to be awaken once more.

#57 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:13 PM

Quite funnily enough, a lot of Japanese are saying the same thing, "He's so chubbbyyy!" XD

I've read those comments too! They are saying he is too fat. XD

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#58 TouKen4Life3g

TouKen4Life3g

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,306 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

I have heard the fight in behind the door preview was awesome. Here's hoping to live up. It's finally time to bring the legitimacy to Godzilla. Unless he decides to do a drop kick and dance like Chun-Li's victory.

Edited by NaruSaku4Life3g, 03 May 2014 - 03:16 PM.

#59 Toasty Warrior

Toasty Warrior

Phenomenal One

• S-Class Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,791 posts

Posted 03 May 2014 - 06:23 PM

I'm totally expecting Godzilla to do this at the end of the movie:

tumblr_inline_mxmn6k4C6k1stbyp7.gif

"They don't want none"

#60 Konohakitten

Konohakitten

I ship faster than FedEx

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,313 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with my husband and sons of course. Playing video games, drawing, writing fanfics, reading, watching crime shows, and paranormal shows.

Posted 04 May 2014 - 04:06 AM

I'm totally expecting Godzilla to do this at the end of the movie:

tumblr_inline_mxmn6k4C6k1stbyp7.gif

My god Toasty I laughed so hard that Kaiden looked at me like, "Are you ok mom?" Omg I just couldn't help myself when I saw this XD Anyhow I am really looking forward to this movie. I don't care that Godzilla is fat, I don't even see him as fat. I see him as a power house beast. Also I don't mind the gills because they blend in so well I had to go back and look at him to see them. I had no clue they added them on him and it makes sense since he lives in the ocean and all. I just figured that he could hold his breathe forever like a whale but there have been times when he has been under the water sleeping for ages, so yeah it makes sense to just give him gills. I just cant wait to see it!

tumblr_ooscnzcUtt1uz1wpso1_500.gif

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Godzilla, LegendaryPictures, Reboot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users