Close
Photo

Sword Art Online

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Burning_Wulf

Burning_Wulf

Just your friendly, neighborhood zombie hunter.

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Wolves, Anime/Manga, Rx7, NaruSaku, Timeoff work, Sleeping, Comics, Napping, Cats, Resting, Skeet, and Racing plus too much more....

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

Kirito, a solo player who had the luck-of-the-draw to play the beta version, and the many other players of Sword Art Online (SAO) are trapped inside of a game, unable to logout; the only way to live is to win. Death in-game means death in the real world, tampering or prolonged power outage with the Nerve Gear, the gear that simulates in-game character control by redirecting brain signals, also means death. To win means to defeat the final boss on the top floor, out of the original 10,000 players at the start, two years later 6000 remain and 26 floors left to clear.

Link to manga link

There is a light novel out. For those interested. link
Also for those who enjoy the light novel. There is an app for smart phones for baka-tsuki. Search for baka reader in market, it is free. I know it is available for droid, not to sure for iphone. If for you, like myself, tries to read e-books or fanfics while at on the go. This app will become a favorite for reading this series,

I just wanted to put this out there. I've become an instant fan for this series after starting to read the series. With the anime coming out next month.

Edited by Burning_Wulf, 14 June 2012 - 04:23 PM.

coco_zps31bec3d3.jpg

#2 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

Yeah i'm really looking forward to this anime series, I've read the first four translated novels, and really love the books, they were so well written and easy to follow. It's from the same auther who wrote the Accel World Novels, and you can definitely see the similarities between the two series. Amazing thing is this series started off as a web novel series (Which I beleive would have been available for free to the fans, like stories written at fanfiction.net) and didn't really get published until after Accell World was published.

Highly recommend this series to everyone and the same with Accel World.

iAnby7W.gif

#3 Burning_Wulf

Burning_Wulf

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Wolves, Anime/Manga, Rx7, NaruSaku, Timeoff work, Sleeping, Comics, Napping, Cats, Resting, Skeet, and Racing plus too much more....

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

I've been finding chat on other sites about the series. Its suppose to start sometime this week. Also, it's going to run through the whole fall season. So we can probably expect it to atleast run the SAO arc, side stories from vol. 2 and some ME stories. Basically any material during the time in SAO world.

EDIT

Episode 1 is out. w00t.gif

Here's a link to it. Sword Art Online Ep. 1

And already lovin it.

Edited by Burning_Wulf, 08 July 2012 - 02:11 PM.

coco_zps31bec3d3.jpg

#4 TheBugNinja

TheBugNinja

Sasuke's mortal enemy

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:anime, basketball, and writing.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Love this series to death. Well, the entire SAO/Accel World continuity.

Agree that its been a long, long time since an anime couple caught my attention like Kirito/Asuna.
I'm not cynical- I'm right.

#5 Angel

Angel

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Interests:Music, Books, Video Games, Magic the Gathering, eating healthy and exercising.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:04 PM

QUOTE (TheBugNinja @ Sep 7 2012, 05:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Agree that its been a long, long time since an anime couple caught my attention like Kirito/Asuna.

Just saw this today and the links and video are not working.

#6 TheBugNinja

TheBugNinja

Sasuke's mortal enemy

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 385 posts
  • Interests:anime, basketball, and writing.

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:50 PM

QUOTE (Angel @ Sep 7 2012, 01:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just saw this today and the links and video are not working.

There are other places to find it if you look around at your typical torrent/dl sources.
I'm not cynical- I'm right.

#7 Burning_Wulf

Burning_Wulf

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (TheBugNinja @ Sep 7 2012, 08:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

After watching the last episode, Kirito/Asuna became my favorite anime couple.

Also giving the pacing of the series, it might be possible that it might go into the Fairy World arc too. Which I hope happens.

coco_zps31bec3d3.jpg

#8 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

This is the first Anime in a long time that has actually reminded me of the good ole days of anime.

Whenever I look at anime made today, they have a heavy use of moe in it that just weighs it down and hard to take seriously. This on the other hand, while having moe, is just the right amount of it. It is only used in moments that would make the moment better not worse and it is just so amazing.

The main cast are just plain badass and the music....OMG the music is....I can't even describe it. The best score I have ever heard for an anime yet.

In a world where the anime is based around an MMORPG world, I have never watched one this good since Dot.Hack//Sign.

I know what new series I am investing in.

The one thing I wonder is this. The premise of the series in the beginning is that the conscious gets sucked into the first one. Your skills are based on real life too. If you die in game, you die in real life. This had me wondering...

I wonder if the character ever experience a bleeding effect a la Assassin's Creed?

Edited by James S Cassidy, 15 September 2012 - 03:44 AM.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#9 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:04 AM

Haven't really watched the anime properly, am waiting for the arc to be over before watching, I am surprised how much they decicated to the side stories, specially the murder mystery one which was essentially a filler, and didn't introduce charactors we will meet later or like episode 2 and 3 go a long way to explain why Kirito was a lone fighter for so long.

James about the bleeding effect there might be some or there might not be, I can't say as it would contain spoilers.

iAnby7W.gif

#10 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 27 October 2012 - 03:04 AM

I've been watching and enjoying this series. biggrin.gif I've watched the first 10 episodes, and will likely watch 11 today.

I think the story premise is really interesting, and it would certainly put me off trying any Matrix-style game in the future. Imagine trying out a game and you can't find the logout button anywhere... *shudders*

Only a theory, but I would guess that game time is actually moving faster than real life. That would mean that if Kirito and Asuna get out, they'll find themselves back in their younger bodies with a few years' worth of memories. Just like having a long and intense dream that seemed to last all night, only to find that you only slept a couple of hours.

Well, I'll find out if I'm right or wrong when I finish watching the whole thing. smile.gif

#11 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Oct 27 2012, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've been watching and enjoying this series. biggrin.gif I've watched the first 10 episodes, and will likely watch 11 today.

I think the story premise is really interesting, and it would certainly put me off trying any Matrix-style game in the future. Imagine trying out a game and you can't find the logout button anywhere... *shudders*

Only a theory, but I would guess that game time is actually moving faster than real life. That would mean that if Kirito and Asuna get out, they'll find themselves back in their younger bodies with a few years' worth of memories. Just like having a long and intense dream that seemed to last all night, only to find that you only slept a couple of hours.

Well, I'll find out if I'm right or wrong when I finish watching the whole thing. smile.gif

You should find out soon enough (if you haven't already,) So I won't spoil it for you. So didi you get the theory from inception or Accel World?

iAnby7W.gif

#12 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts
  • Interests:Animanga, Art, Books, Gaming, Web Design.(Yes, I am a geek and proud of it)

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:06 AM

QUOTE (harry4e @ Oct 29 2012, 04:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You should find out soon enough (if you haven't already,) So I won't spoil it for you. So didi you get the theory from inception or Accel World?

Well, it was both from real-life experience with dreams and Inception. smile.gif

I'm on Episode 13 atm, and I've recommended it to others. Hopefully, I can finish watching the episodes next weekend!

#13 GoNeKr@zY

GoNeKr@zY

Now THAT is a Flame War!!!

• ANBU
  • 1,276 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Video games,Books, Sci Fiction, etc<br />And Fanfiction........ Loads and loads of Fanfiction.

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:25 AM

I definitely think time might be moving faster ingame then in real life. I should know.
1 of the dreams i had that i still remember to this day is living an entire lifetime
As a different person. Literally decades. In a single night. When i woke up it took
Me hours to realize who i was. Not exactly a pleasant experience :/

#14 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Going to give it a try to this series. smile.gif

Edited by Gravenimage, 29 October 2012 - 01:01 PM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#15 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:52 PM

I just found out about this a couple weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I've watched all the episodes on Crunchyroll except for the last one and have been working my way through the light novels as well.

I watched it first and then went back and read the light novels so it didn't seem odd to me that there were so many filler stories. The only one that I would've called filler even in retrospect is episode 4. The rest were establishing Kirito's character and the relationship between Kirito and Asuna.

Anyway, I think it's a great series and I've been eagerly awaiting each new episode.

#16 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 07:31 PM

Just downloaded all 10 episodes I will watch them later tonight.
Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#17 Smiter

Smiter

... WHAT?

• Kage
  • 6,863 posts

Posted 03 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (GoNeKr@zY @ Oct 29 2012, 09:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I definitely think time might be moving faster ingame then in real life. I should know.
1 of the dreams i had that i still remember to this day is living an entire lifetime
As a different person. Literally decades. In a single night. When i woke up it took
Me hours to realize who i was. Not exactly a pleasant experience :/

Wow, that is really weird. I've never had anything like that, only dreams that seemed to last for hours but actually only lasted minutes in real life. It's always so disappointing waking up and realising it's only 1AM. tongue.gif

About my theory, only read if you got that far in the series.

I was wrong! It was the same amount of time in real life.

It was an unexpected twist to see the world of SAO end so soon, but the twist seems an interesting one. Can't wait for the newest episode tomorrow morning. smile.gif

QUOTE (Nick Soapdish @ Oct 30 2012, 06:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just found out about this a couple weeks ago and am really enjoying it. I've watched all the episodes on Crunchyroll except for the last one and have been working my way through the light novels as well.

I watched it first and then went back and read the light novels so it didn't seem odd to me that there were so many filler stories. The only one that I would've called filler even in retrospect is episode 4. The rest were establishing Kirito's character and the relationship between Kirito and Asuna.

Anyway, I think it's a great series and I've been eagerly awaiting each new episode.

I've gone through all the available episodes on Crunchyroll as well, looking forward to the new one tomorrow morning. smile.gif I know it debuts tonight (for subscribers) but it's a bit late at night for me.

I agree with you that it's a great series, and I really like the characters of Kirito and Asuna. The KiriAsu ship also has something in common with NaruSaku - both characters are strong-willed. It's always so refreshing to see a strong female lead who can stand up for herself and isn't just eye candy. happy.gif

Where did you get the light novels from, Nick? It'd be cool if I could also convert them into e-reader format for the Kindle. happy.gif

#18 Angel

Angel

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Interests:Music, Books, Video Games, Magic the Gathering, eating healthy and exercising.

Posted 03 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

QUOTE (Smiter @ Nov 3 2012, 06:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, that is really weird. I've never had anything like that, only dreams that seemed to last for hours but actually only lasted minutes in real life. It's always so disappointing waking up and realising it's only 1AM. tongue.gif

About my theory, only read if you got that far in the series.

I was wrong! It was the same amount of time in real life.

It was an unexpected twist to see the world of SAO end so soon, but the twist seems an interesting one. Can't wait for the newest episode tomorrow morning. smile.gif

I've gone through all the available episodes on Crunchyroll as well, looking forward to the new one tomorrow morning. smile.gif I know it debuts tonight (for subscribers) but it's a bit late at night for me.

I agree with you that it's a great series, and I really like the characters of Kirito and Asuna. The KiriAsu ship also has something in common with NaruSaku - both characters are strong-willed. It's always so refreshing to see a strong female lead who can stand up for herself and isn't just eye candy. happy.gif

Where did you get the light novels from, Nick? It'd be cool if I could also convert them into e-reader format for the Kindle. happy.gif

Don't know if this is relevant or dis proven but Freud wrote "Dream Works" and called it displacement and condensation, where the dream actually lasts much longer then we think it does but we only remember parts of it and condense it. If this is not yet dis proven then it probably minute for minute. Then again I had a nightmare tonight that lasted only a hour but felt forever to me.

Also thanks for the places where the video is available, looked up crunchyroll and bookmarked it for later viewing smile.gif

#19 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 05:29 PM

I know this really adds nothing to the topic, but I want to pull at some heart strings. One of the sadder moments in the series.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#20 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 04 November 2012 - 07:30 PM

Watched eps 11-18 yeah I'm very hooked with the series and really like the love triangle that has formed between Kirito, Asuna and his cousin. Thought I like his cousin it's obvious that she's beginning to realize she has deeper feelings for Kirito more than friendship.

Edited by Gravenimage, 21 November 2012 - 02:29 AM.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users