Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize o.o

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
99 replies to this topic

#21 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Location:Sunny (when there's no hurricane XD) South Florida!
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 09 October 2009 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Cloud @ Oct 9 2009, 04:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think people know how to read.

But in any case. This was a copyrighted document.

I wonder where that came from? kruemelmonsteryn0.gif

facepalm.png

Wow Ryrinea...just...wow.

#22 Pite

Pite

I'm a cat with glasses and a piece of chalk in my hand!

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Too long to write about.

Posted 10 October 2009 - 05:32 AM

As Shauna stated, I do not see the reasoning behind the Nobel Peace prize given to President Obama.

True he had radically shifted the way American views and is viewed around he globe. True, his "unclenched fist" approach is very laudable, still I do not see why would the Peace Prize be given as both a pat on the back and a rising of the bar for President Obama.

Not only does it not do much good for him but also adds on more pressure on his already stressed shoulders. Not only does he carry the weight of the US Economy (still the largest on Earth), but also has two wars on his plate, a bunch of squabbling Congressmen and Senators whose only moment on bipartisan consesus is when they vote on their own pay increases, has two very unstable countries to talk with, and a China that is looking to kick America of its throne as a super power.

Now he has to live up to having a Noble Peace prize, being on the same ground as Mother Teresa or Lech Wałęsa, one made the whole world aware about the plight of the poor, another lead a movement that brought down the Wall. Now he has to deserve the right to be amongst those who gained the prize for doing and not merely trying to do.

I do not believe that Obama should've gained this prize in the light of all that he is planning to do. Rather I would wait to re-asses what will he accomplish in the near future, maybe after his first term or after his (hopefully 8 year) term will end.

I think that Thích Quảng Độ ought to had gotten the prize, if it to be a pat on the back to all the democratic activist in Vietnam. Maybe that would've made the difference similar to the one that the 1983 Peace Prize for Lech Walęsa was for the Polish "Solidarity" movement that ultimately broke down the Eastern Bloc.
The meaning of life is to find your own meaning of life.

#23 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts
  • Interests:Reading, writing fanfiction (check out my homepage) *shameless plug* XD, video games, and anime! ^_^

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:02 PM

Well, at least Obama himself realizes and admits that this award is way premature:

At just 48 years old and not even nine months in office, Obama became only the third sitting U.S. president to win the prize.

The widespread reaction, however, when the stunning news hit the nation was: For what?

Obama said so himself. "To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who have been honored by this prize," he said hours after being awakened — and surprised — by spokesman Robert Gibbs.

Comments from Nobel committee members revealed that they fully intended to encourage, not reward. Consider this: The nomination deadline was only 12 days after Obama first entered the Oval Office. It's an enduring myth that the prize is only about accomplishment — it actually was created as much to supply momentum for peace as to celebrate it.

Indeed, with a leftist slant, the five-member committee was applauding Obama as much for what he's not — his predecessor. Former President George W. Bush was much reviled overseas for "cowboy diplomacy," the Iraq war and his snubbing of European priorities such as global warming.

So some cheerleading probably can't hurt, as Obama presses forward on efforts to repair America's relations with Muslims, bring Israelis and Palestinians into fruitful negotiations and turn back climate change. The committee especially singled out Obama's aims to create a nuclear weapons-free world and to set out a new, more cooperative diplomatic doctrine.

"I hope it will help him," Nobel committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland said of the award. "Obama is the right man at the right time, and that's why we want to enhance his efforts."

"I will accept this award as a call to action," Obama said. "This award must be shared with everyone who strives for justice and dignity."

With many seeing the award as premature, there's the chance it could provoke a small backlash that makes Obama's work harder.

So, no doubt the news of the prize brought trepidation along with joy. As Obama's former foe for the White House, Republican Sen. John McCain, said: "He now has even more to live up to."

Perhaps one reason there was no public celebrating at the White House on Friday.

#24 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

Sun Tzu said whaaaaaaaaat?

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Interests:Your mother.

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:06 PM

Hey you guys. I just got a call from the CEO of the Nobel Prize picking committee. I'm up to get the award next year.

Awww yeah.

#25 Angel

Angel

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,689 posts
  • Interests:Music, Books, Video Games, Magic the Gathering, eating healthy and exercising.

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:25 PM

We were talking about this in one a few of my classes, in the end most decided that Obama didn't deserve it, yet, it was still too early was the major vote.

#26 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:37 AM

Wow, I didn't see this one coming. I congrats him but I really don't think he deserves it.

After trying to pass a Health Care Reform that would of allowed Govt. control in health care would of put the economy in a economic/people's meltdown, but luckily his own party plus the republicans turned it down and the same goes for the time he tried passing a law on increase cost of carbon taxes that would make refineries pay hundreds of millions dollars. (which would of shut down all the major refinery plants not being able to pay such a sum of money and more job losses.

#27 dl316bh

dl316bh

International Smug Elitist

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 02:59 AM

I've always found the fact that it's an award for peace created by the man who invented dynamite far more interesting - and amusing - than who receives it.

Kind of sad that even Obama thinks that receiving such an award is way too premature. Says a lot about the whole thing.

Edited by dl316bh, 11 October 2009 - 03:01 AM.

bd5.jpg

#28 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:38 AM

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Oct 10 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kind of sad that even Obama thinks that receiving such an award is way too premature. Says a lot about the whole thing.

Indeed it does sleep.gif

QUOTE (dl316bh @ Oct 10 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I've always found the fact that it's an award for peace created by the man who invented dynamite far more interesting - and amusing - than who receives it.

I did not know that. Neat little fact to learn. Thanks =3

#29 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 03:44 AM

I think Obama goes to bed , sweating and he just thinks :

" I'm now the most hyped man on Earth. "

#30 Guest_Aethos_*

Guest_Aethos_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:05 AM

What did he do to deserve it again?

#31 Dreamer

Dreamer

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,952 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:10 AM

I thought Alfred Nobel invented the detonator for dynamite and discovered Nitroglycerin. The invention of dynamite itself probably was credited by the Chinese a long time ago when they discovered mixing different powders (white/black powder) created an explosive when it came in contact with fire.

Edited by Uzumakikage, 11 October 2009 - 04:15 AM.

#32 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:15 AM

QUOTE (Yakatsu @ Oct 10 2009, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
" I'm now the most hyped man on Earth. "

Nah. That's what Kanye West thinks ;3

#33 Pite

Pite

I'm a cat with glasses and a piece of chalk in my hand!

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:Too long to write about.

Posted 11 October 2009 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE (Uzumakikage @ Oct 10 2009, 09:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought Alfred Nobel invented the detonator for dynamite and discovered Nitroglycerin. the invention of dynamite itself was discovered by the Chinese a long time ago when they discovered mixing different powders (white/black powder) created an explosive when it came in contact with fire.

Dynamite is made up of Nitroglycerin. The Chinese discovered black gun powder, a substance of far less potency that TNT.
Alfred Nobel as you said discovered nitroglycerin, ergo discovered dynamite.

After trying to pass a Health Care Reform that would of allowed Govt. control in health care would of put the economy in a economic/people's meltdown, but luckily his own party plus the republicans turned it down and the same goes for the time he tried passing a law on increase cost of carbon taxes that would make refineries pay hundreds of millions dollars. (which would of shut down all the major refinery plants not being able to pay such a sum of money and more job losses.

First and foremost, it is not the Executive branch that churned out the bills, mostly the Senate (Under Nancy Pelosi) and the House bills. Two One cannot state that trying to do something about this horrendous health care system is anything near killing the economy, it is more an attempt to fix the problem before it strikes harder at out pockets (When Baby-Boomers will his their illness susceptibility peak). We cannot put validity upon the statement that a comprehensive health care reform could kill the US economy.

About the Carbon tax, one can argue that it would lead to the down fall of the carbon-emission based jobs in America (Such as refineries). But one has to pose themselves an economical question. Are we to ravage the environment and possible destroy our chances of future development or should we let the free-market decide for itself on whether the rate of eviromental destruction is too large to sustain the carbon-heavy jobs.

Also in your argument about job losses, one can argue that in a short term look, the fall in Oil based jobs might hit the market, and a possible oil price spike might lead to horrendous consequences to the overall global economy. But looking long term, we saw what craze and madness the recent oil spike did to the car market. We should see above the short-term losses and see that a potential for long-term and more sustainable green-jobs that in the end will put America back in its place as the most technologically superior nation on earth.

And I'll end my refute of your statement here, since this is not the battle ground for such debates. I'm just merely providing the other side of the argument for you.
The meaning of life is to find your own meaning of life.

#34 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:02 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Oct 10 2009, 11:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nah....Kanye doesn't think he's hyped, he really thinks he's that great.

And, Uzumaki, Pite's correct, the Chinese invented gunpowder, not dynamite.

#35 Guest_Aethos_*

Guest_Aethos_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:59 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Oct 11 2009, 04:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Sakura Blossoms. You're doing a great job, and Imma let you finish but FDR was the greatest president of all time! OF ALL TIME!

#36 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:29 AM

QUOTE (Aethos @ Oct 11 2009, 01:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Sakura Blossoms. You're doing a great job, and Imma let you finish but FDR was the greatest president of all time! OF ALL TIME!

*groans*

Aethos rolleyes.gif

#37 BlackLightning

BlackLightning

What? I like it.

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,191 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Computer games, fanfics, Soccer, Watching TV, others that I don't remember

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:32 AM

QUOTE (Aethos @ Oct 11 2009, 03:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Isn't that comment supposed to be given to Obama Instead?

Love is not about admiring the strength or perfection of the person but to fully accept their shortcoming and weakness. - Me

Dragcave: (Mine and a Certain cat's): http://dragcave.net/user/MelisaArtemis

#38 Guest_Aethos_*

Guest_Aethos_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 October 2009 - 06:41 AM

QUOTE (Sakura Blossoms @ Oct 11 2009, 07:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*groans*

Aethos rolleyes.gif

I couldn't help myself biggrin.gif

By the way it is good to see you again SB.

Isn't that comment supposed to be given to Obama Instead?

Well yeah but SB mentioned Kanye so obviously she had to be mentioned... Oh well it's an old meme anyways.

#39 Sakura Blossoms

Sakura Blossoms

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 8,418 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 07:35 AM

QUOTE (Aethos @ Oct 11 2009, 02:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well yeah but SB mentioned Kanye so obviously she had to be mentioned... Oh well it's an old meme anyways.

It's old already? Dang that was fast XD

That's the internet age for ya tongue.gif

#40 Yakatsu

Yakatsu

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 11:02 AM

Kanye doesn't want Obama to get the award.

Can you say butthurt?

We all sound like we're a little bit butthurt. But gosh, Kanye just went overboard.

Again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users