#1 Namikaze Clan

Namikaze Clan

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,684 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:14 AM

This is an honest question.

How did a secondary character become popular enough to change the very end of the manga. At best she's two dimensional and hasn't impacted the story in any significant way, but yet for some reason her popularity boosted so high that she had the power to bend the story(and main character) to her will. There have been plenty of big boobed, moe, fanservice side characters that have existed in plenty of anime. yet there roles never overshadowed the main heroines of those said anime. So why was Hinata the one exception to this?

Let me know your thoughts

#2 Nostradamus

Nostradamus

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,021 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:31 AM

This is an honest question.

How did a secondary character become popular enough to change the very end of the manga. At best she's two dimensional and hasn't impacted the story in any significant way, but yet for some reason her popularity boosted so high that she had the power to bend the story(and main character) to her will. There have been plenty of big boobed, moe, fanservice side characters that have existed in plenty of anime. yet there roles never overshadowed the main heroines of those said anime. So why was Hinata the one exception to this?

Let me know your thoughts

Because she had the support of the entire anime studio behind her.

Edited by Nostradamus, 31 August 2015 - 02:34 AM.

CZSn9hA.jpg

Which I've told you - time and time again - is dangerous! There will never be consensus, son, among those you have helped to ascend. They will all differ in their views of what it means to be free. The peace you so desperately seek does not exist.

These men are united now by a common cause. But when this battle is finished they will fall to fighting amongst themselves about how best to ensure control. In time it will lead to war. You will see.

#3 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:33 AM

Pierot the anime studio blew Hinata's character way out of proportions especially with the fillers. Then you have the media and the crazy fans I think that's the beginning.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#4 TerrorKing

TerrorKing

Glorified lurker of the deep!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 02:52 AM

Because she had the support of the entire anime studio behind her.

Pierot the anime studio blew Hinata's character way out of proportions especially with the fillers. Then you have the media and the crazy fans I think that's the beginning.

This. Alot of people wanted to see Hinata suceed above all else and SP, WSJ and Kishi were more than happy to oblige. 

That's how the ending happened, but it all started with the anime, especially the filler hell that ended the original part 1 because of how it would lften put Hinata in the heroine role with the bikojou arc being the most egregrious example.

Edited by TerrorKing, 31 August 2015 - 03:23 AM.

ragnorak-heavydose-500-2.jpg

Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die

Won't you run, live to fly,

fly to live, Aces high

#5 NarutoxSakuraFan4Life

NarutoxSakuraFan4Life

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, writing fanfiction/original works.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:10 AM

Yeah, SP pretty much made her popular, they made her more important than she really was. I mean you can see Kishimoto at first (again, I say at first.) doesn't give a crap about her. For one, she looked more like a boy than Sakura does when Sakura first appears. Even in later chapters Hinata still isn't that well drawn, she actually looks pretty dang creepy. For two, Kishimoto doesn't have her appear in the manga till closer to the chunin exams (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong), and finally, he barely develops her character at all. Heck, she's barely even in the manga! Kiba's dog appears more times then she does. 

On the other hand SP made her "cuter" and more feminine like, they over sexualized her, (starting at 12 flippin years old with the naked waterfall dance in a filler episode) and make her small scenes from the manga, bigger and longer. They go as far as to add scenes into these moments that never even happened in the manga. They even make her animation look better than everyone else's, including Naruto's, who is the main character.... They even allowed her to appear in early stages of the Naruto anime, (pretty sure) the third episode, to have her say one line, "I guess I won't be on the same team as Naruto." 

So, yeah, all SP's doing and fans just fell for her. 

Edited by NarutoxSakuraFan4Life, 31 August 2015 - 05:34 PM.

tumblr_n0qvafxnzd1s1a2b1o1_500.gif

~Their love was true, their love was pure, their love was beautiful.~

~NaruSaku forever  <3 ~ 

#6 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:11 AM

How did iruka become popular?

#7 Atheck

Atheck

Ally of NaruSaku

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,050 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:30 AM

Yeah, SP pretty much made her popular, they made her more important than she really was. I mean you can see Kishimoto at first (again, I say at first.) one, she looked more like a boy than Sakura does when Sakura first appears. Even in later chapters Hinata still isn't that well drawn, she actually looks pretty dang creepy. Kishimoto also doesn't have her appear in the manga till closer to the chunin exams (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong), then after that he barely develops her character at all. Heck, she's barely even in the manga! Kiba's dog appears more times then she does. 

On the other hand SP made her "cuter" and more feminine like, they over sexualized her, (starting at 12 flippin years old with the naked waterfall dance in a filler episode) and make her small scenes from the manga, bigger and longer. They go as far as to add scenes that never happened in the manga. They even make her animation look better than everyone else's, including Naruto's, who is the main character.... They even allowed her to appear in early stages of the Naruto anime, (pretty sure) the third episode, to have her say one line, "I guess I won't be on the same team as Naruto." 

Technically she was 13 during that filler scene which is the Age of Consent in Japan. Regardless, it doesn't make it any less repulsive that a professional animation studio would exploit the imagery of a young child like that. 

#8 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:33 AM

Technically she was 13 during that filler scene which is the Age of Consent in Japan. Regardless, it doesn't make it any less repulsive that a professional animation studio would exploit the imagery of a young child like that. 

Underage nudity usually get steam censor. In this case, we don't see Hinata full naked body.

And I don't know if this already change, but nudity itself is never a big deal in Japanese media.

#9 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:48 AM

I can see how Kronk got popular. I can see how the Fonz got Popular. I can even see how those annoying minions become popular but never do I see how Hinata got so popular. 

509356167_759751.gif?4

#10 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:51 AM

Yeah, SP pretty much made her popular, they made her more important than she really was. I mean you can see Kishimoto at first (again, I say at first.) one, she looked more like a boy than Sakura does when Sakura first appears. Even in later chapters Hinata still isn't that well drawn, she actually looks pretty dang creepy. Kishimoto also doesn't have her appear in the manga till closer to the chunin exams (I believe, correct me if I'm wrong), then after that he barely develops her character at all. Heck, she's barely even in the manga! Kiba's dog appears more times then she does. 

On the other hand SP made her "cuter" and more feminine like, they over sexualized her, (starting at 12 flippin years old with the naked waterfall dance in a filler episode) and make her small scenes from the manga, bigger and longer. They go as far as to add scenes that never happened in the manga. They even make her animation look better than everyone else's, including Naruto's, who is the main character.... They even allowed her to appear in early stages of the Naruto anime, (pretty sure) the third episode, to have her say one line, "I guess I won't be on the same team as Naruto." 

I remember in the first episode of the anime Pierot showed Hinata (when Naruto was about to perform the transformation jutsu in front of Iruka). Yet in the manga Hinata wasn't there she made her debut in the chunin exams.

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#11 NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

NaruSaku fan in Kentucky

Kyuubi

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts
  • Interests:Likes Kentucky Basketball, NaruSaku and Godzilla.

Dislikes Sasuke SasuSaku NaruHina and the Louisville Cardnials.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 03:56 AM

I remember in the first episode of the anime Pierot showed Hinata (when Naruto was about to perform the transformation jutsu in front of Iruka). Yet in the manga Hinata wasn't there she made her debut in the chunin exams.

I know in the Manga, Naruto called Sakura "A cute girl that I like." Did he call Hinata weird or something?

509356167_759751.gif?4

#12 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:15 AM

Tbf they show all of the rookie nine like inoshikacho.

#13 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:16 AM

I know in the Manga, Naruto called Sakura "A cute girl that I like." Did he call Hinata weird or something?

No, she just there.

#14 harry4e

harry4e

Legendary Ninja

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,433 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:17 AM

Well as people mentioned the Anime played a big part in her charactors success, I never watched the fillers so her popularitiy took me by surprise as well. Another factor is a VA that voices Hinata, she pretty much became VA royalty with her success as Fate in Mahou Shoujo Nanoha, I beleive her popularity extends beyond anime and she has a highly successful music career. It probably helped further that Hinata actually looks a bit like Nana Mizuki, and I'm sure SP exploited that further by making the anime charactor look even more like her.

iAnby7W.gif

#15 ultranx

ultranx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts
  • Interests:DBZ, naruto, pokemon, digimon, one piece, megaman, sonic, legend of zelda, yugioh,gurren lagann, transformers, kingdom hearts, yuyu hakusho, sword art online, tmnt, gundam.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:51 AM

No, she just there.

no, he called her "a weirdo" when she was introduced in the exams xD

http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/39/7

Edited by ultranx, 31 August 2015 - 05:54 AM.

tumblr_mba4mg4Ip61ryf7dio1_r1_500.gif

#16 dejavu

dejavu

Special Jounin

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 06:20 AM

fanarts and fanfiction from Studio Peirrot and the rest of their cult

and a whole lot of IMAGINATION *insert rainbow fap i mean fart here* :rainbowsheep:

#17 Radra

Radra

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 08:34 AM

Isn't it obvious? Hinata's popularity is all thanks to Sakura.

Whether you agree or not the fact of the matter is Sakura was very annoying at the start of the story. Her Sasuke fangirlism and her initial treatment of Naruto made a lot of fans hate her character. The anime team did not help matters as the exaggerated Sakura's behavior for comedy. Even though sakura changed, the damage was already done.

Hinata is basically the polar opposite of Sakura (and all the other females for that matter) and because she had a crush on the main character which a lot of people consider to be cute, that ultimately made her more appealing to the fandom. The anime also doing all the Hinata fanservice played a huge part in Hinata's rise to popularity.

Because a lot of people hated Sakura (the female lead), they moved on to the next best thing which is Hinata (her feelings for naruto is what made her stand out fro the other females).

#18 rocci

rocci

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,708 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:17 AM

no, he called her "a weirdo" when she was introduced in the exams xD
http://www.mangapanda.com/naruto/39/7

Yes, he said she's weird.
What I mean is in the first episode of naruto.

@radra
And she's the only girl who like naruto. That itself is an advantage.
Have kishi create another character who like naruto and she's a tsundere, trust me the tsundere will won.

#19 Sakurafan1

Sakurafan1

Academy Student

• Academy Student
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

Isn't it obvious? Hinata's popularity is all thanks to Sakura.

Whether you agree or not the fact of the matter is Sakura was very annoying at the start of the story. Her Sasuke fangirlism and her initial treatment of Naruto made a lot of fans hate her character. The anime team did not help matters as the exaggerated Sakura's behavior for comedy. Even though sakura changed, the damage was already done.

Hinata is basically the polar opposite of Sakura (and all the other females for that matter) and because she had a crush on the main character which a lot of people consider to be cute, that ultimately made her more appealing to the fandom. The anime also doing all the Hinata fanservice played a huge part in Hinata's rise to popularity.

Because a lot of people hated Sakura (the female lead), they moved on to the next best thing which is Hinata (her feelings for naruto is what made her stand out fro the other females).

Studio Pierrot did that with a lot of characters, Hinata and Sakura included. SP does this to Shino's being left out of missions and he gets massively insecure about it in the anime, Rock Lee and his passionate way of youth, Jiraya and his voyeurism played up for laughs, SP made the fanbase think that Orochimaru was just a creepy pedophile while he had other things going for him. SP made Hinata look like a creepy fangirling stalker in Rock Lee and his Ninja Pals or Naruto SD (whichever you want to call it). So its not just Sakura that gets singled out here by SP. There is a lot of Flanderization that goes on in the anime series. Just watch it carefully and you'll see it. 

Edited by Sakurafan1, 31 August 2015 - 11:18 AM.

#20 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 11:42 AM

Underage nudity usually get steam censor. In this case, we don't see Hinata full naked body.

And I don't know if this already change, but nudity itself is never a big deal in Japanese media.

The image is in the dark but i assure you i saw it a few weeks back and the image was very detailed you can make out everything from that water fall image.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users