12 replies to this topic

#1 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:54 AM

MangaGamer, a company used for translating Japenese games, translated The House in Fata Morgana into english and caused a new translation issue.

Tsundere has been translated to "Fragile Male Ego" 

First of all, how can they even suggest this be an accurate translation? Second of all, females can be called Tsundere too so what does that translate to? "Fragile Female Ego?"

This is just pathetic. This is why I hate "localizations"

I want a translation...not a localization.

My gofundme
https://www.gofundme...c-designer-fund

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#2 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 06:23 AM

...Well I was expecting something else. I figured they were going to claim that men using that term had a fragile ego because they couldn't stand a girl not worshiping him.

Instead it because the maid called him one and they translated that to fragile male ego. And apparently it was a huge effort to think this line up. Several Weeks. Last thing they got done.  I wonder if it is actually because they are so stupid they didn't know another way to describe soon behaving like a tsudere in English.

So, everyone that comments lets try thinking up a phrase they could have used but didn't because they were to uneducated:

Mine will be: "I see your still holding up that cold front of yours."

The localizing thing that going on is because that really the only way they can infiltrate anime to make it more ""Progressive"". Since they can't voice act; even people like Monica are better then them at it. The Japanese do not care about petty American politic and find it annoying when they try forcing it into their games and shows. And High Guarding Spice showed they can't make their own and for it to be successful. So all they can do is mistranslate dialogue to fit to political views. 

#3 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 11:29 AM

Female is an adjective, not a noun. Its descriptive, except in the animal kingdom.

ナルサク

#4 Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Konoha'sCrimsonFox

Solo Leveler

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,079 posts
  • Interests:Anime, manga, manhwa, manhua, video games, novels, web novels, 3D comics, drones and RC driving. Writing web novels.

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:46 AM

Just one word . . .

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952upk4zqyleuyocv60f0z

"My name is Sung Ji-woo. Some called me the Assassin of Death. A Necromancer Deity... My journey has been nothing but walking over a mountain of corpses. My legion of the dead reigns supreme. None shall block my way or... face the wrath of my blades!" --Solo Leveling.

#5 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 03:29 PM

Mine will be: "I see your still holding up that cold front of yours."

The localizing thing that going on is because that really the only way they can infiltrate anime to make it more ""Progressive"". Since they can't voice act; even people like Monica are better then them at it. The Japanese do not care about petty American politic and find it annoying when they try forcing it into their games and shows. And High Guarding Spice showed they can't make their own and for it to be successful. So all they can do is mistranslate dialogue to fit to political views. 

You can even say "I see you're still trying to act tough huh?"

How would they put this in context say if a female is called this? Are they going to say "Strong Female Mindset?" This supposed to be a personality trait, not a gender role. It is meant to describe a person who is tough on the outside, but in the inside is caring and loving. It is supposed to be a type of endearing personality.

I mean imagine if I did this?
Yandere: "Psycho possessive kitten"
Dandere: "Introverted Emo girl"
Kuudere: "Autistic"
DereDere: "ADD"
Himedere: "Excuse me, Princess"
Kamidere: "Stuck-up kitten."

Like, these are just insulting and inaccurate.

Female is an adjective, not a noun. Its descriptive, except in the animal kingdom.

Way to reduce women down like that. Here I thought women were their own entity, but I guess this is what toxic femininity gets you if all women are is just an "adjective." So if a man tells another guy "Quit acting like a woman," this is acceptable to you? Alright.

Besides a "Tsundere" is not a gender role, it is a personality trait. It has nothing to do with gender.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 06 May 2020 - 03:31 PM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#6 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:12 PM

I meant the word «female» James. «Woman» and «female» are in two different word classes.

Woman is a noun. Female is a description. A female hero. A woman.

ナルサク

#7 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 06:41 AM

Interesting translation. Tsundere's are painfully bashful and angry at loved ones because it indicates shame and low esteem, which can be interpreted as fragility of the ego. Tsunderes can apply to both boys and girls, and they both can have fragile egos all the same.

All I got was that it was the wording that he didn't like, but provided no in-game context to support his argument any further, so.

#8 Bail o' Lies

Bail o' Lies

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,542 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:46 AM

Interesting translation. Tsundere's are painfully bashful and angry at loved ones because it indicates shame and low esteem, which can be interpreted as fragility of the ego. Tsunderes can apply to both boys and girls, and they both can have fragile egos all the same.

All I got was that it was the wording that he didn't like, but provided no in-game context to support his argument any further, so.

Later in the video he brings up that the translators (with even twitter post bringing it up and them admitting it) have had Tsundere come up in other translations they have done before was just leave it in. Did you get to that part in the video? 8:30. 

Edit: Also follow up video.

https://www.youtube....h?v=RleXSVWiZgU

The localization company: This is harassment.

Localizer: Long post justifying it. Again if not intentional their idiots for not finding a better word/phrase, not help by the fact that this apparently took weeks to come up with, and if intentional then they added stupid political nonsense some people do not like in their entertainment media.

Game Company: Very Business like supporting the translation. Mention that the line apparently took weeks to come up with...Video guy believe they have to cow-tow because they are a minor publisher that can't afford to go with another translator company. Apparently LC hires their translators on the cheap so they can sell their services for as cheaply as possible.

Also, again I wanted people to make their own translation; just to see how quickly they could come up with their own translation for tsundere that worked off the top of their head. Compared to the one they came up with especially if this did actually took weeks to come up with.

Edited by Bail o' Lies, 07 May 2020 - 08:04 AM.

#9 gamma

gamma

夢のような ☁

• Chuunin
  • PipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:50 PM

so it's about politics, not the game itself

Edited by gamma, 08 May 2020 - 03:59 AM.

#10 James S Cassidy

James S Cassidy

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,831 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:47 PM

Apparently, the translator of this game is extremely misandrist and wants to "delete men." She is also very heterophobic.

There is the answer right there. She is a hateful, spiteful woman who wants to see all men dead. Especially heterosexual ones.

So much for a society of acceptance.

Edited by James S Cassidy, 09 May 2020 - 11:52 PM.

My gofundme

Δικός σου για να κρατάτε
Σ'αγαπώ

#11 Gravenimage

Gravenimage

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,535 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:28 AM

Apparently, the translator of this game is extremely misandrist and wants to "delete men." She is also very heterophobic.

There is the answer right there. She is a hateful, spiteful woman who wants to see all men dead. Especially heterosexual ones.

So much for a society of acceptance.

I should have known who will be stupid to translate tsundere like that?

Gravenimage

Lone Wolf of the Grave

#12 Moon_Girl

Moon_Girl

Academy Teacher

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:OTPs:
    NaruSaku - Naruto x Sakura (Naruto Series)
    Het Chrobin - Chrom x Robin♀ (Fire Emblem Awakening)
    Clerith - Cloud x Aerith (Final Fantasy VII Series)
    Demelith - Demetri x Byleth♀ (Fire Emblem Three Houses/Hopes)
    Phantom/Erik x Christine (Phantom of the Opera)
    Jintan x Menma (AnoHana)
    ZeLink - Link x Zelda (Legend of Zelda Series)

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:49 AM

If anyone says or uses "fragile male ego" unironically, then they've lost all credibility as a person in my eyes. And this is coming from a woman. So sick and tired of the "screeeeee men are piggggsss they're below us wemaaannnzz" attitude. 

NaruSaku will always be better than crack and fan fiction

#13 Tiller

Tiller

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,041 posts

Posted 18 August 2020 - 08:06 AM

IDK the first "Tsundere" I knew of was Helga from Hey Arnold, and she didn't have a male ego, or a "fragile female ego". She was just nervous that the guy she had a crush on wouldn't accept her for who she is. *shrugs*

Turns out the two actually became a couple in the long waited for Jungle Movie.

Is being scared that someone won't like you back being "fragile"?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users