• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:Reading and writing. Anime/Manga.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 02:33 PM

So, I heard today that there is suppose to be a petition going through the White House to stop people from being able to post fanart and fanfics online, meaning that fan sites will also be shut down. I'm not sure of all the facts here, and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about this and what it could mean?

Here's something I found about the subject:

http://myanimelist.n...topicid=1108281

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 16 March 2014 - 02:54 PM.

#2 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:05 PM

Jesus I thought this kitten was over and done with in 2012  :wallbash:

Does Washington want another spanking from the public again? 

eh10ut.jpg

#3 Kyuudaime

Kyuudaime

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,920 posts
  • Interests:Working out, manga, video games, scuba diving

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:10 PM

Probably not true.

#4 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 03:18 PM

Probably not true.

You think so? I'm really hoping it's not, otherwise I'll have to take down my FF.net stuff and that would suck. :wallbash:

#5 rikakim94

rikakim94

Jounin

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,780 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:22 PM

You think so? I'm really hoping it's not, otherwise I'll have to take down my FF.net stuff and that would suck. :wallbash:

Yeah i saw a post on tumblr saying if the sopa act were to come to a pass then we wouldn't able to reblog photos of any gifs of our favorite tv series without getting thrown into jail for it Same goes for posting fanfiction/fanarts. This really sucks i think this sopa law is taking it to far.  :ermm:

Edited by rikakim94, 16 March 2014 - 04:24 PM.

#6 Kamina-Yoshi

Kamina-Yoshi

The Purple Dinosaur.

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,075 posts
  • Interests:Stand-Up Comedy, Novel Writing.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 04:42 PM

Oh, please, like there's enough room in prisons right now. There's about 2.5 million people in prison right now for breaking serious laws (rape, murder, drug-use/selling/trading, et cetera) and even minor laws (B&E's, assault, peeing in public too many times), so they'd have no time for you and I if we post gif's or images from our favourite shows. So, I say, bugger it! Have a blast! In fact, be:

dYcsKNz.gif

http://en.wikipedia....sons_in_America

#7 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:40 PM

Probably not true.

Agreed.

Hypothetically, if a SOPA bill did in fact pass and go into effect, law enforcement would more than likely shut down the pirating side of things. From my view, fanart and fanfics, or even gifs are probably safe.

That being said, I've seen articles say that people who do cover songs on youtube could be in trouble, that is if such a law was viewed in a really broad manner.

That's the main thing, broad manner. With things like this you have to follow the money, so if SOPA did pass the targets would probably be those distributing copyrighted music and movies and other media.

Here's a piece that gives some more info - http://transformativ...w-sopa-fanworks

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#8 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 05:49 PM

Yeah i saw a post on tumblr saying if the sopa act were to come to a pass then we wouldn't able to reblog photos of any gifs of our favorite tv series without getting thrown into jail for it Same goes for posting fanfiction/fanarts. This really sucks i think this sopa law is taking it to far.  :ermm:

I know, I saw stuff like that too, but I can't really believe it. It's just ridiculous -- that posting fanart/fanfics or images from shows would carry threat of imprisonment -- the prisons are full enough as it is. Aren't there much bigger issues for them to devote their time and effort to? There's probably some exaggeration going around about what this law would mean if it were to pass, but that's why I'm trying to get the facts.

Agreed.

Hypothetically, if a SOPA bill did in fact pass and go into effect, law enforcement would more than likely shut down the pirating side of things. From my view, fanart and fanfics, or even gifs are probably safe.

That being said, I've seen articles say that people who do cover songs on youtube could be in trouble, that is if such a law was viewed in a really broad manner.

That's the main thing, broad manner. With things like this you have to follow the money, so if SOPA did pass the targets would probably be those distributing copyrighted music and movies and other media.

Here's a piece that gives some more info - http://transformativ...w-sopa-fanworks

Thanks for the link, that's reassuring at least.

#9 Inferno180

Inferno180

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:01 PM

I signed the thing anyways but I haven't seen anything about this pop up, i tried seraching SOPA 2014 several times and nothing appeard. Even if this did pass, in the house or senate or by the head clown himself, whoever signed it would be looking at an instant ticket out of their office.

But seriousness aside, I really haven't seen anything about this, no articles, nothing in the media, even on fox for as silly as they are.

No media has brought anything like this to attention, not even on sights like deviantart or facebook for that matter so any articles about this? I mean I signed the thing, better safe then sorry but still, i have not seen any articles about this stuff. Any examples someone would care to link?

When people insult my OTP

Insulting a man’s ship, be worse than insulting his mother.

#10 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:05 PM

I signed the thing anyways but I haven't seen anything about this pop up, i tried seraching SOPA 2014 several times and nothing appeard. Even if this did pass, in the house or senate or by the head clown himself, whoever signed it would be looking at an instant ticket out of their office.

But seriousness aside, I really haven't seen anything about this, no articles, nothing in the media, even on fox for as silly as they are.

No media has brought anything like this to attention, not even on sights like deviantart or facebook for that matter so any articles about this? I mean I signed the thing, better safe then sorry but still, i have not seen any articles about this stuff. Any examples someone would care to link?

I had to search on google to find it, type 'SOPA 2014' on google.com and a bunch of results come up.

#11 sushi.

sushi.

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kyuubi
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,071 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:20 PM

I saw the petition on tumblr, the site involved the US government. Seems quite serious to me. But it's practically impossible. Not everyone lives in the States, and practically half of the population would have to be imprisoned.

ナルサク

#12 BakeNeko-Chan

BakeNeko-Chan

Commander

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:28 PM

I saw the petition on tumblr, the site involved the US government. Seems quite serious to me. But it's practically impossible. Not everyone lives in the States, and practically half of the population would have to be imprisoned.

I know right, how exactly do they plan to go about this when the internet is a world wide community? 

Edited by BakeNeko-Chan, 16 March 2014 - 11:40 PM.

#13 Inferno180

Inferno180

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:31 PM

Thats the idea, like prohibition when alcohol was outlawed, it was just too much trouble. That right there in history proved you can pass a law, but it means nothing if people aren't going to follow it. I mean all the crap Obamacare has done, they really only succeeded in destroying a fairly good health care system and made it into something many hate or cannot afford. Really its good when people react like they do, when they oppose something enough it can make a difference, no matter the governments choices. If the numbnuts running this country really think they can pass this, they would need to basically jail everyone with access to the internet and obviously any government would have trouble with 150 million pissed off people when it comes to elections.

Edited by Inferno180, 16 March 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#14 Nate River

Nate River

Heaven and Earth Deity

• Kage
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:33 PM

Agreed.

First off, if the only thing between you and criminal prosecution is prosecutorial discretion, then I question how safe you should feel. When prosecutors change, so do their policies. Realistically, those prosecutors have a finite amount of resources and will not prosecutor small fries when it's more efficient to make examples out of the bigger ones. Why prosecute "Lid" when you can nail ff.net as a whole? But if a prosecutor becomes interested in you what would stop him or her from going after you?

Second, fanfics and fanarts are violate current law. I don't know that SOPA did anything to change what is copyrighted material, so much as it expanded the criminal enforcement side. There are two ways of enforcing violations Criminal and Civil. Civil is the primary method used as the criminal portion is pretty narrow. Fanfics and Fanarts are blatant derivative works: something that it protected by current copyright law.

In other words, we can all be sued for every fanfic or fanart we create. Most creators allow such fanworks to exist and simply choose not to pursue it. But they are under no obligation to do so.

#15 Lid

Lid

Notorious

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,660 posts
  • Interests:Movies, sports and anime/manga.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 12:16 AM

First off, if the only thing between you and criminal prosecution is prosecutorial discretion, then I question how safe you should feel. When prosecutors change, so do their policies. Realistically, those prosecutors have a finite amount of resources and will not prosecutor small fries when it's more efficient to make examples out of the bigger ones. Why prosecute "Lid" when you can nail ff.net as a whole? But if a prosecutor becomes interested in you what would stop him or her from going after you?

Second, fanfics and fanarts are violate current law. I don't know that SOPA did anything to change what is copyrighted material, so much as it expanded the criminal enforcement side. There are two ways of enforcing violations Criminal and Civil. Civil is the primary method used as the criminal portion is pretty narrow. Fanfics and Fanarts are blatant derivative works: something that it protected by current copyright law.

In other words, we can all be sued for every fanfic or fanart we create. Most creators allow such fanworks to exist and simply choose not to pursue it. But they are under no obligation to do so.

Good points.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

#16 Inferno180

Inferno180

Elite Jounin

• Elite Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,480 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:01 AM

Well we should be glad for one thing, regardless of this ordeal, neon ally goes free on Apirl 4th so we can still see all anime we want. Well living with dub isn't the best but I'd rather hunt down subs.

Edited by Inferno180, 17 March 2014 - 01:02 AM.

#17 Gojira

Gojira

Kyuubi

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,217 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 01:30 AM

I look forward to this crashing and burning like it did 2 years ago.

eh10ut.jpg

#18 manbeast101

manbeast101

Rookie

• Rookie
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 04:16 AM

I don't like that they keep trying to bring back this Sopa crap, they just don't learn and don't leave well enough alone.

Also, I think this new sopa thing is something like this that I found: Notice and Staydown, or something like that, I could be wrong but I don't know.

#19 deviouslyChaotic

deviouslyChaotic

Alex Turner turners me on

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:sleep.

Posted 17 March 2014 - 06:03 AM

I found this: http://flamewarflips...ydown-439990931

May be informative concerning what exactly is coming back. It is not SOPA, but rather SOPA-like provisions.

tumblr_n963zefXMR1rab3jho5_r1_500.gif

"Suck it and see."

#20 xxRomanceGirlxx

xxRomanceGirlxx

Missing-nin

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Debating, Anime/Manga (Naruto, Inuyasha, DBZ, Hetalia etc.), TV shows, Shipping
    Dislikes: Bashing, Double standards, Hypocrisy, NaruHina, SasuSaku, SasuKarin
    OTPs: NaruSaku (Naruto), Bangel (BtVS), InuKag (Inuyasha), LeafpoolxCrowfeather (Warriors), Percabeth (PJS), Kataang (AtLA)

Posted 17 March 2014 - 08:27 AM

Um .... does anyone think this petition might actually pull through and ban fanarts/fanfiction? :ermm: I can't help but think it won't, especially considering so many people write fanfiction and fanarts from different fandoms.

I think this is going too far ... as long as you're not claiming the characters/relationships/series as your own work (That's what disclaimers are for, after all), then it shouldn't be considered plagiarism. And piracy? Piracy is such a serious term that should honestly  not be associated with something like fanfics/fanarts. :confused:

Doesn't the government have better things to do than worry about who writes or draws what? There are so many other laws in the United States that should be tweaked or changed.

"I absolutely can't let you die! I can't! I won't let you die ... your stupid dream ... now it's ... it's right in front of us!!"                                                                             ----Sakura Haruno                                                                              

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users