Close
Photo

Overpowered Naruto

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

Poll: Overpowered Naruto? (50 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you like Naruto to be overpowered to any extent in fanfics?

1. Yes, Totally! (5 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

2. Yes, but only slightly. (26 votes [52.00%])

Percentage of vote: 52.00%

3. No, it gets weird...... (19 votes [38.00%])

Percentage of vote: 38.00%

Vote

#1 Wilson

Wilson

My burden...my life.....

• Jounin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:Lol, er, Manga, Anime, games and stuff. <br /><br />Also, writer in fanfiction.net. Go by the name weixuan18.

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:15 PM

Yo, guys, just wanted to know.

See, in many fanfics, people tend to either keep Naruto like in Canon, or make him stronger. I personally prefer him to be overpowered sometimes, even if only a little bit more. Makes it more interesting.

Wonder what your thoughts are. XD

Oh and yeah, I'm not saying anyone is right, but really, what are your opinions?! tongue.gif
You try to know everything , yet in the end, you truly understand nothing ....
Wilson's fanfic account : weixuan18

Witness teh awesomness that is Deidara Lover!!! <3

#2 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:I am the bone of my Anime<br /><br />Marathoning is my body, and coffee is my blood<br /><br />I have watched over a thousand series<br /><br />Unknown to sleep<br /><br />Nor known to society<br /><br />Have withstood migraines to watch many episodes<br /><br />Waiting for the new season's arrival<br /><br />I have no regrets, this is the only path<br /><br />My whole life was Unlimited Anime Works

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:05 PM

Overpowered Naruto is one of my pet peeves. Naruto simply runs around everywhere kicking butt and taking no prisoners, which is boring. The only people who can give him any trouble at all are similarly overpowered OC's, which then eliminates the point of having anyone but Naruto and these OC's around. Seriously, if he can control all the Kyuubi's chakra, what's stopping him from taking over the world? Overpowered Naruto is a big no-no for me.

#3 Illjwamh

Illjwamh

Cooler Than You

• Examiner
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:13 PM

I agree. One of the fun things about the series is that the main character can't automatically win every fight he gets into.

#4 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • Interests:I am the bone of my Anime<br /><br />Marathoning is my body, and coffee is my blood<br /><br />I have watched over a thousand series<br /><br />Unknown to sleep<br /><br />Nor known to society<br /><br />Have withstood migraines to watch many episodes<br /><br />Waiting for the new season's arrival<br /><br />I have no regrets, this is the only path<br /><br />My whole life was Unlimited Anime Works

Posted 04 November 2007 - 10:24 PM

Of course not. He will be miles ahead of the Naruto-verse characters (Kakashi, Tsunade), but the OC's will somehow be as strong as he is. After all, we can't have him overpowered without opposition, can we?

#5 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:27 PM

Yeah kind of, normally i dont like it, but there are quite a few of these stories i like, so i cant totally dislike them.

#6 Sakura~Kitsune

Sakura~Kitsune

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Location:The Forgotten Borough formerly known as Staten Island!
  • Interests:Reading, Writing, Roleplaying, Magical Girls, Anime/Manga, Video Games, Music, Friends/Family, and Food!

Posted 04 November 2007 - 11:53 PM

I can't say that I'm a big fan of the whole "Overpowered" Naruto thing actually, it's one of my peeves when I read fanfictions. I rather see Naruto in Canon, training to become stronger than to see him defeat any enemy he may face with just one extremely powerful blow. Even though he has gotten stronger over the time period, Naruto (or any main character at that) cannot automatically win a battle without breaking a sweat. To me, it doesn't make much sense.
tumblr_n9ki6ltPXZ1qai1u2o1_500.gif

No matter how dark it is, you’re not alone you know?

The moonlight is shining on us

#7 Leney

Leney

Little Ray of Sunshine

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (Sqleon @ Nov 4 2007, 06:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Overpowered Naruto is one of my pet peeves. Naruto simply runs around everywhere kicking butt and taking no prisoners, which is boring. The only people who can give him any trouble at all are similarly overpowered OC's, which then eliminates the point of having anyone but Naruto and these OC's around. Seriously, if he can control all the Kyuubi's chakra, what's stopping him from taking over the world? Overpowered Naruto is a big no-no for me.

Thank you. Personally I think people who make Naruto this overpowered genius have completely missed the point of his character. And everyone else in Naruto.

I mean, go ahead and power up Naruto...but don't be ridiculous over the top with it and make it plausible. Also try to at least keep his teammates relevant...especially if he is still working with them regularly. Nothing annoys me more than Naruto's teammates relegated to being Cheerleaders.
WTF Fanfic Quote of the Moment

"I nearly threw up in my mouth" exclaimed Sasuke, mentally scarred by the experience."You should do that!Except let her try and kiss you whilst you do!"laughed Naruto exitedly."That is WAY funny, and all the same way more creepy that that time at the preliminaries!"retorted Sasuke, remembering."uuughh! I feel so sorry for the shadow clones I made whilst we hid.I hear one of the sound genin got AIDS and CHLAMIDIA from Hayate"said Naruto pulling a face.

#8 SakuDotz

SakuDotz

Fly away to Dotzland! :D

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,488 posts
  • Interests:My biggest interest would probably be in potatoes and lot's of funtastic things....

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:29 AM

QUOTE (Sakura~Kitsune @ Nov 4 2007, 06:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Even though he has gotten stronger over the time period, Naruto (or any main character at that) cannot automatically win a battle without breaking a sweat. To me, it doesn't make much sense.

Can't agree more, Twinie! Naruto's the type to always struggle and work hard... seeing him just automatically beating an opponent or not even having to make an effort to do such isn't like him in my opinion. I'd rather see him actually have to try to win. >.>;

#9 Vyse

Vyse

Team F.U.T.A. Viking King

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts
  • Interests:My interests? Well, I do enjoy most manga and anime, but I think that's a given. I also enjoy comic books and videogames, so I guess I'm kinda geeky there. But hey, I do other stuff. I like to go out and party, but I do not like drinks served in a femvase (damn fruity stuff... ew), so good ol' beer is my mate. So yeah, I'm also a psychology student, so your mind interests me.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 01:22 AM

I don't mind them making Naruto stronger than canon, but there should be a limit. If you go by the norm, Naruto gets a sensei at young age (around four or five), which is always an OC much younger than Kakashi yet stronger than Sarutobi. He or she trains Naruto, and by the time Naruto graduates from the academy, he is what they call "low chunin to low jounin level" and can mop the floor with anyone around. And for the love of God, we have to give him some über bloodline! It's most likely the sharingan though.
But then there's the ones who claim to have an "original" bloodline for Naruto... and it's a doujutsu with all the powers of the Sharingan, but without the copying ability and added something else instead for good measures so he can say "My bloodline is much better than yours Uchiha-teme" or something.

What I do like however, is when people have him grow at a more steady pace. Instead of keeping him at a point where he's growing a little bit faster than in canon. It's fanfiction after all, so you should be allowed to take some liberties. Just try to keep it at a point where it doesn't piss off the real readers (that's the ones who will reply to your stories with something other than "interesting" or "I like it, please update"). I have seen a story where an eight year old Naruto could beat Jiraiya in an all out fight with ninjutsu and taijutsu. That is totally unrealistic, and way out of bounds... not even Dragonball kids grew that quick...

But I have yet to see anyone keep him at the same level as the manga, without even a tiny boost in power, and I'm sure I never will. That would be reading the manga, only in another person's words.

Power-upped > Overpowered

I don't deny enjoying Naruto with a bloodline though... like in Hive or Brown Eyes meets Blue for instance where they don't use that god damned sharingan-clone everyone seems so fond of. GOD I'm so tired right now, I can't think straight. *sleep ON*

#10 jim1982

jim1982

Wow, rule 34... it is Madness!

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:32 AM

I enjoy a slightly over powered naruto in the sence of someone helping him at a younger age. not like make him a genius or something but more like "i'll help you with the basics and such"

hell with Naruto's work ethic, if he was help in just taijutsu a little when younger, like most of the academy students, he would be better than he is in cannon.
Funny Naruto Comic: http://nekoni.devian...nowman-73499115

[size=7]Picture done by Nekoni (nekoni.deviantart.com)

#11 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Everyone thinks it, but etiquette interferes; lest the writer is construed as misdirected.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:09 AM

It depends for me.

Naruto's my fav char in the series, so yes, I do like certain ones when he is overpowered. But the ones written well are few and far between.
Most of the ones around have him heading to a proverbial dead-end, simply because the author never thought that far ahead or even made plans to how he should progress.

#12 Vivi

Vivi

Dr. Snakes

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:21 AM

Most of the time no. I can deal if it's well-written enough, but...I don't like any overpowered characters. (When I do my original characters, I try to make them weak and normal.) And, usually overpowered Naruto=Naruto who acts like Sasuke. >.<

#13 Leney

Leney

Little Ray of Sunshine

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:11 AM

Sorry, Naruto with a bloodline is an instant page closer for me. One of the big things in Naruto, one of the things that makes Naruto stand out for me is the conflict between Hard Work and Genius. (Why, why Kishimoto have you forgotten that?!)

In Naruto genius means more than IQ, but bloodlines and other abilities from birth are also considered genius. The idea that Naruto, the title character, is able to do something just because he was born with it annoys the heck out of me. There's no work involved really. Sure maybe one has to train a little, but already without trying...you're already placed higher than most.

It's like writing a Lee who can use ninjutsu and genjutsu. (And really, Lee's work ethic is crazier than Naruto's. If he was able to use chakra...damn he'd be crazy powerful)

There are a few exceptions to this rule, but very few. biggrin.gif

Oh and another page closer...abuse of the Kage Bunshin no Jutsu. Gah, I hated when Kishimoto did that, and I hate when people decide to let Naruto learn its secrets when he's 12 years old so he can be stronger overnight. It's like...gah! *stab stab* If you're already going to make him powerful, then like...pretend the Kage Bunshin doesn't exist or something...

"I nearly threw up in my mouth" exclaimed Sasuke, mentally scarred by the experience."You should do that!Except let her try and kiss you whilst you do!"laughed Naruto exitedly."That is WAY funny, and all the same way more creepy that that time at the preliminaries!"retorted Sasuke, remembering."uuughh! I feel so sorry for the shadow clones I made whilst we hid.I hear one of the sound genin got AIDS and CHLAMIDIA from Hayate"said Naruto pulling a face.

#14 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:17 AM

Sorry, Naruto with a bloodline is an instant page closer for me. One of the big things in Naruto, one of the things that makes Naruto stand out for me is the conflict between Hard Work and Genius. (Why, why Kishimoto have you forgotten that?!)

That's rather harsh. Naruto with a bloodline is not necessarily overpowered, it's how he's actually written that matters. If Naruto has a bloodline that is somehow a mix of the Byakugan and Sharingan or allows him to kill someone by looking at them, then yeah instant page closer. But if it's a bloodline that someone obviously put thought into incorporating into the story, I do give it a chance. This doesn't make or break a story, but I do agree that a bloodline takes away some of Naruto's appeal as a character who relies on hard work to become strong.

#15 Leney

Leney

Little Ray of Sunshine

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:23 AM

There was one story by Reaper Nanashi where Naruto had a bloodline that could control time.

First of all it wasn't your average...Naruto gets beaten up by the villagers one day. Kyuubi, who is randomly good for some reason, decides to power him up (and give him a make over) and tell him about his kickass bloodline limit. Second, it was well written and third, he really couldn't use his bloodline much, because there were a lot of rules involved (as there should be since time can kitten things up pretty quickly).

Then there was that Foxhound fic...where Naruto had the Unlimiter, which basically just makes it so he can learn anything he puts his mind to. He still has to work hard at things...but he'll never reach a plateau where he's like "Well...I guess that's it for me."

It may be harsh, but really I hate Naruto having power just handed to him. Unless it's Kyuubi chakra and honestly that's not really a benefit considering that too much of it will result in Naruto going batsh*t insane and aging prematurely?

Also if you're going to do a super!Naruto, CHANGE THE FRIGGIN' PLOT!

#16 No WhereMan

No WhereMan

H&E's Dark Knight

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,264 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, Writing, reading, Warhammer, WoW, Naruto, Anime in general. Movies, HK KungFu Movies, D&amp;D, video games (SFIV!!!) and various other things.

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:57 PM

Classic example of Overpowered Naruto. Recently I was looking up different Naru/Ino stories because I don't know, anyway I found this one story that had eight chapters and 501 reviews so I was thinking perhaps this was a really good story. Its called "Cell Shift" btw, anyway the story starts off with Naruto at age seven had been the victem of a very brutal rioting attack and nearly killed him, instead Kyuubi decided to step in and restructured Naruto whole body basically making his body stronger, faster and able to recieve information quicker. Basically making him a "bionic" Naruto. I should have stopped there but i was slightly intriqued by the idea, I wanted to see where this was going.

Then from there, seeing such a drastic change the 3rd Hokage decided to take Naruto under his wing, so for the next six years Naruto go one on one training with the 3rd basically making him near Jounin level by the time he was 13. But since the only person Naruto interacted with was the 3rd and the father and daughter at the Ramen stand, the 3rd said Naruto should choose a partner/Student from the Rookie nine, and low and behold it was Ino. And even there I continued reading because I wanted to give the fic the benefit of the doubt.

What got me to completely stop reading and delete the further chapters from my flashdrive was the fact, Ino character was so poorly written, not to mention you could have supplied any female character into Ino's spot because she had no personality. Her only difference was everytime Naruto taught her something she would be like "Take that forhead-girl!" She says that line like 3 times in the story. Not mention Naruto acts perfect. He's not immature. He's not impatient. His techniques were without flaw. So basically it wasn't Naruto just some robot in disguise.

batman-arkham-city-wallpaper-wallpaper-0xl_batman_arkham_origins_logo.jpg

#17 canis

canis

Genin

• Genin
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 03:28 PM

I voted for number 3...
It's not that I'm not enjoying a strong Naruto, but rather that many important traits of his character get lost along the way.
What's with his compassion? The emotional outbursts à la Zabuza & Haku, where he gets so riled up that the intensity of the fight increases tenfold. Or his unpredictability...
That's at least as important as all the fighting.

#18 Leney

Leney

Little Ray of Sunshine

• Chakra Water Walker
  • PipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (No WhereMan @ Nov 5 2007, 10:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Classic example of Overpowered Naruto. Recently I was looking up different Naru/Ino stories because I don't know, anyway I found this one story that had eight chapters and 501 reviews so I was thinking perhaps this was a really good story. Its called "Cell Shift" btw, anyway the story starts off with Naruto at age seven had been the victem of a very brutal rioting attack and nearly killed him, instead Kyuubi decided to step in and restructured Naruto whole body basically making his body stronger, faster and able to recieve information quicker. Basically making him a "bionic" Naruto. I should have stopped there but i was slightly intriqued by the idea, I wanted to see where this was going.

Did he get a sword, mask and ditch orange? Cause it sounds like 1341231 stories that I've read before. And I always end up reading these stories...I like torturing myself apparently.

There was one overpowered Naruto story that made me wish I wouldn't get flamed if I decided to take the idea and work from it. Because the Naruto was really power crazy. Seriously he had a mental problem. It was extremely creepy and I kept reading to see if the author was really trying to be subversive about the whole super!Naruto cliche.

Turns out that the author wasn't and I had to stop reading because how can you make Naruto's training so creepy and paint it as a good thing.

It was about Naruto getting letters every few months or so from his father (who is dead) and it would include various jutsu and training regimens. Naruto would then drop everything and slavishly follow those instructions to the letter. It was really creepy and seriously I want to write a story about the council trying to turn Naruto into a weapon by manipulating him emotionally through his father.

Damnit, now the idea won't go away. I need to write this. Screw the flames!

#19 Rick (Bonta-kun)

Rick (Bonta-kun)

FUMOFFU!

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:16 PM

I remember both those stories, there examples of crap Super!Naruto stories in my opinion, there are way better ones than those stories.

#20 Tohno Shiki

Tohno Shiki

Shota of Mistress

• Academy Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 10:27 PM

What is so exasperating is the fact that people actually LIKE overpowered Naruto on ff.net and mediocre stories like that get many reviews saying "good work lolx updatez soon". This, in turn, leads to the author believing that he/she is doing something right, and the trend continues. It's a never ending spiral of mediocrity...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users