• This topic is locked This topic is locked
66 replies to this topic

#61 Vespar

Vespar

Namikage

• Elite Teacher
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • Interests:Everyone thinks it, but etiquette interferes; lest the writer is construed as misdirected.

Posted 11 May 2006 - 10:18 AM

Thanks Aaron! Technically, it'll be a Cross-over, but the character I'm using has so little personality and background, that she's just so ripe for integration and is practically on the OC bandwagon!

Hehe, that's my thoughts exactly Yori! I'm gonna try to gather those cliches I've added in my previous post and see if I can 'polish a turd'. XD
Gonna try to have the first chapter done by this weekend, but I'll see... Usually, it's difficult for things to go according to plan.

#62 gamerman_007

gamerman_007

Shodaime Smexkage

• Special Jounin
  • PipPipPip
  • 795 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Females, Internet/computers B(o)(o)bs.

Posted 29 May 2006 - 04:52 AM

Ya know, a mary-sue could make for a humrous story. A perfect girl goes to konoha who tries to win naruto, but miserably fails. I love it!

Bunny: Sasuke, join me.
Sasuke: What will I receive if I join you?
Bunny: POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!
Sasuke: Sweet! what do I do?
Orochimaru: Sssssssssssssaaaaaaasssssssssukkkkkkeeeeeee-kkkuuuuuunnnn!
Sasuke: oh f***

Sono nantomo ienai sekushii na oshiri wo ore no kokan ni okittensukete rizumu ni awasete kosurinasai = Back that ass up. :D

#63 desaix

desaix

Summoning Master

• Summoning Master
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 05:26 AM

Mary-sue type characters do work in a few things:

Oh! My Goddess fanfics. (Don't know why, but many of the best Early (as in, started (though not necessarily finished) in the pre-Fanfiction.net days) OMG fanfics were mary sues -- Oh My Brother and Oh My God, one by Brett Handy and one by Christopher Angel, being the examples which first spring to mind. Don't ask me which one wrote what title -- it slips my mind entirely. There was also one which I forget the title of, by Ed Sharpe, involving someone who became Skuld's beaux IIRC, and whose characters were borrowed by several other fanfic authors as well)
Next Generation Fanfics. (Well, they aren't exactly Mary Sue by the next generation, usually, but close enough. Best examples I know of all come in the Lois and Clark Fanfiction universe, but there are others as well.)
Parodies of Mary Sue fanfics. (Only if you can manage a parody without going over the top, though, and only if it isn't too long -- too many people subscribe to the Jim Carrey style of comedy (so named because while he didn't originate it, he was the first person in the modern era to make it culturally popular) which gets old real fast. I can't think of any particular examples, however, because the last one I read was a oneshot written several years ago I neither remember the series, author, fic title, nor plot of)
The literally-one-in-a-million Great Mary Sue pieces that transcend all of the stereotypes and ACTUALLY get it right. (best popular example: Diane Carey's two Dreadnaught books, published and quite popular despite being written professionally for the originators of the term Mary Sue: Star Trek)

Outside of that... well, I wouldn't try for a 'funny' Mary Sue, or any other kind of Mary Sue. They're just not a good idea.

You haven't experienced the full cofusion of modern gender relations until you've heard an angry group of women yelling, "We want tentacles!" at an all-night Hentai-fest.

-Tonbo

You can find my original fiction, facebook, twitter, and other ways to contact me on my website, FennecFoxPress.com

#64 Rakuen

Rakuen

Fresh Meat

• Fresh Meat
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 May 2006 - 12:54 PM

Go on fanfiction.net and search 'Inuyasha' trust me...you'll learn from there.

but to put this more into light from my perspective. A mary-sue serves the purpose of wish fulfilment for the author. Making them smarter, cooler, prettier, more popular, unaffected by such a tragic past, and oh so loved by everyone (mainly the hot boys from a particular series) The only difference between the Mary-Sue and the author's mind is the name and that the mary sue is living out that insane dream of begin 'perfect'.

Here's an official definition-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

#65 Yori Uzumaki

Yori Uzumaki

Chakra Tree Climber

• Chakra Tree Climber
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:45 AM

^Exaclty! I find it a little hard to mold a genuine character into personality and into their surroundings... Let's use my Oc for example, Nicoda.

She does have a tragic past and she has a metal leg (Her flaw) She can't balance chakra through it and so she can't walk on water or trees that well. Also, she is a little like Sasuke, but she will and can scream bloody murder when she finds dead corpses in the forest. laugh.gif Though she has a kekkei Genkai, but that was because my original intention was to put her with Sasuke. Obviously, Sasuke is gonna want a strong girl. If any at all. So I did have to wing some of it.

Anyway, I don't consider her a full-fledged Mary-Sue. But I have seen some that absolutely drive me nuts. I saw one where a girl that had a fairly happy attitude came along and started getting under Itachi's skin. I sort of liked it, because it was funny to see Itachi intereact with a Mary-Sue, but the story got taken off of ff.net anyways. headscratch.gif

#66 Nick Soapdish

Nick Soapdish

Holding my breath

• Legendary Ninja
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,364 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 12:46 AM

Since the topic's not quite dead yet, here's another example.

Although it's about Harry Potter, I'm sure that it'll be very helpful in explaining what a Mary-Sue is. biggrin.gif

#67 Blayze

Blayze

Godaime|Erokage-sama

• Missing Nin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 30 August 2006 - 10:01 PM

Don't forget the Ginny Sue/Canon Sue, Nick. wink.gif Goes from zero to hero in 0.14 franchises fast (One divided by seven is around 0.14, in case you cared. tongue.gif). Well, I suppose a Canon Sue can also include those who are perfect from the beginning...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users